Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning Up, Growing Up, Bucking Up (Open: Nobility/Shipworks)

Today, well today Aditya had smartened herself up a fair bit. Wearing a rust and white coloured dress, she had pressed her white lace-rimmed blouse and done her cosmetics and coiffure with the steady hand of the career performer. She'd been requested to a meeting with people who held much higher credentials than she knew how to pronounce.

A little birdie had told her there was change on the wind, and now that she and her husband were busy planning on defeating the Sith, she was getting noticed. Wasn't sheepish when she'd published that paper on fuel dynamics and salvaging resources, or when she'd fixed the antique speeder and put it up for sale. Now, for all intents she was clutching a leather satchel bag full of flimsies, data sticks and data pads to her chest and walking into an empty office in the top floor of a building which looked like it had been designed for the royal classes.

She sat in a chair, said thank you for the offer of tea, and kicked her feet up and down while she waited for someone to explain the details of why she'd been called and what it would mean.

She did not have to wait long, as a door to the side of the office opened and the Galactic Emperor entered the room along with his usual five Imperial Guards, who took their customary positions around the room. The Emperor sat down behind the desk, leaning slightly back in his chair.

"Misses Amadis, it is misses right?" he began. "Do you have any idea why you are hear today?"

When the Emperor himself walked in Aditya's feet stopped moving.

Aditya's jaw dropped clear of her lips, all the flimsies she had been flipping through from her satchel bag cascaded to the floor. So did the satchel bag, the teacup was the only thing remaining in her personal space which wasn't tied down, and it became the most precarious item in the universe. She sat paralyzed by the sight of the Galactic Emperor @[member="Akio Kahoshi"] leaning back in the chair and calling her by name. Aditya clattered to her feet very gently put down her half-drank cup of tea and curtseyed.

Curtseyed like she meant it, and for a ballerina with exacting standards, that was one graceful, if hilariously juxtaposed curtsey. "Your Imperial Highness! Your. . Emperoriness . . . y-y-yyeaah." Still staring him straight in the face Aditya Amadis realized she really had hit the big leagues. Snapping straight up, she sat back down with a purpose and put on her warmest smile.
"Yes, it's Mrs. Amadis. Thank you. Thank you. Wow, news, it travels hyper speed around the Capit--no. No, I don't suppose I do. I thought I was here to discuss the ramifications of an exhaust-manifold I'd engineered which would decrease fuel costs by 30% and save umm I have that figure!"

She dove for her flimsies scattered on the floor.

"Please sit down Misses Amadis," Akio said in a soft command, one that could just as easily order the destruction of a planet. A small wave of the Imperial fan he had carried since taking the throne and a servant entered. The servant quickly collected the papers and even seemed to organize them in an impossibly short time. Now in a perfectly neat stack, he placed them on the desk before the engineer. Then exited without a word.

The entire time, Akio watched the woman. She had poise, though her reactions to unexpected situations could use some work. She was smart, and the had the basic skills needed. True she lacked the kind of experience required for such a position, but she was not Atrisian born. That was a plus in this case.
"As you know, the Empire has eyes everywhere. Those eyes normally watch for danger, to protect our people. However they also look for talent. Talent has always been rewarded, exceptional talent has been rewarded exceptionally. Which is why you are here."

"Yes Sir. Please is it. . . is it Sir or Your Majesty, after the formal address?" Matters of etiquette weren't common in the Epicanthix culture, but Mama always taught her little angel to be ready when opportunity knocked. Mama never thought that opportunity would knock with the soft flutter of an imperial fan, but running with the punches was another of those slim talents the Epicanthix had to go by. Aditya sat down and crossed her feet at the ankles, folding her hands in her lap and breathing in the posture of her years of ballet. No slouching allowed she told herself.

Blinking at the servant who came and entered and organized paperwork with deftly incredible accuracy, Aditya bit her cheek to stop from asking what prestigious lifelong dedicated school or family that servant had come from. Mostly 'cause she got the feeling there was an answer lurking not far off. @[member="Akio Kahoshi"] seemed for all intents of Aditya to be the soft antithesis of her brawling warrior species, a creeper-rose with its delicate petals masking the razor edge of the leaves and spikes. The softness alone had an indelible quality of active silence, an extending blanket of snow not yet touched on by foot or breeze.

Eyes watching. The newlywed pondered what those eyes would see. Was it her entrance and the near crash landing? The bounty on her husband's head, or her affiliation with less than scrupulous characters? In one flash of neurones she fought down the urge to think this was about her once prominent career as a ballerina. But he called her by Amadis. Amadis. 'This must be about Kei.' Shoulders down, Aditya cleared her throat with a quiet gulp and kept her eyes on the Emperor's fan.

"Sir, I can assure you my husband is no danger to. . t. . " Her eyes flickered to the Emperor. She pursed her lips together. "What talent do I possess that would be of use to your Majesty?"

"To be blunt, one of the primary reasons you are here is because you are not Atrisian. You are also a skilled engineer, and have a number of other skills that are useful. Some of those skills need some polishing, but that is something the Empire has significant practice in."

He paused for a moment, letting her think. Her comment about her husband had not been missed, but then the Inquisition had already looked into him. This Kei was potentially useful, which was another reason she had been chosen. Of course, should he prove a threat down the road he could always be disappeared.

"Tell me what you know of Imperial Shipworks," the Emperor said in an apparent non sequitur.

Yet again the Emperor @[member="Akio Kahoshi"] found less than seven words which shut up the chatterbox woman and had her sitting primly in her chair, attempting to still her entire body and not fidget a bit. "Thank you, Sir? May I ask which skills your Majesty is referencing?" She said to his bluntness and explanation of her skill set. 'A number of skills. . . polishing. . . I am either going to love this or rue the day. Fie it with rue! Rue and fie! Fie and rue! FOCUS Adie, he's talking!' She thought to herself, flexing one finger at a time in a system to stop the immense urge to scratch an itch on the top of her nose.

"The Imperial Shipworks? A collective of the most brilliant engineers and builders who manage the design and construction of the Emperor's fleet and many of the scientific and military advancements that's given Atrisia stability and naval grit. There's some fantastic design work going on, but I'd like to see a concentration on economy, too. Might and power are relatively easy. Getting that might to correlate with a reduction of resources to better fit the needs of the Empire takes another hand entirely. But it can be done, and I'm sure with the staff at the Shipworks they'll be able to figure it out. . . Who heads the Imperial Shipworks, I don't know of anyone. . . "

As she talked, Aditya's gloved hand moved to the papers, she spread them with her fingers and reached for one carrying the line-up of the current Imperial Shipwork design roster and searched the sheet for a clearance name at the top of the page. "It's got to be here."

"Your information is most likely out of date," Akio said as interrupted her searching with a wave of his hand. "What you do not know, or rather perhaps do not realize, is that Imperial Shipworks is owned by the government. Which means it actually belongs to me. As Imperial Shipworks is the backbone of our entire military, I select the leaders of it personally. Recently, due to an unexpected death, one such position has opened up. Which is why you are here."

Akio paused for a moment, letting this sink in. From is wording anyone of decent intelligence would figure out what he meant. If he had judged her right, she was far more than simply "decently intelligent." So given that, this was a test of her mettle. How she reacted to the realization would speak volumes about her, and even more about how she would lead his company. After a few quiet moments he continued. "I have decided to give you a commission, and instate you as Senior Prefect in charge of Imperial Shipworks."

Aditya stuttered to a halt, setting the flimsies down with her eyes perched on @[member="Akio Kahoshi"]'s chin. Her skin seemed to absorb his words a syllable at a time, running through the muscle and bone until every nerve lit up in a slim sheen of shock. Just what was this Emperor saying? About to speak, she shut her mouth.

Her eyes quivered, the lids pulling inward at their inner folds, a momentarily predatory exhibition of cognisant intent. Aditya fixed her posture and squared her shoulders. "Whatever your Majesty requires will be given."

Her lungs heaved with faster breaths taken, neck muscles tightening up. Under the pressure of her Monarch's eyes, Aditya sat taller, refusing to fold or freak out. The battle, the adrenaline, that she understood. "May I ask what the commission entails for me, as a citizen of the Empire? What are my rights and what courses may I pursue?"

Give me boundaries, she said, give her range. Let her know where and when and what could be done, and she would give him victory.

Her question was a good one, one that earned more of his respect. She did not ask about wages, or benefits. Both of which would be sizable enough. "As you know, the government is itself part of the military. This means you will be expected to follow military protocol, and the individuals under you will be subordinates not employees. Given the special nature of Imperial Shipworks, you will answer to me not the rest of the government, I would ask that you consult with Moff Fa as my commander of state owned businesses."

Akio paused to take a sip of tea before continuing. "However, given the... obligations of your husband, there is a certain interest my government has in you being able to work along side him on occasion. It is government policy that the Sith Empire is a menace that must be stopped. Politics prevents us from openly assisting this 'Army of Light,' but we still see ways a mutually beneficial relationship would be best for everyone."

She chewed on his words, learning what she could of her employer. . . no commissioner may be the better title. "Military. . . I . . . is there an abridged version of Military Protocol I can glean until I absorb the entire scheme? Will. . . will I be able to have one or two of my subordinates help me adjust, or is there from this moment forward no leniency toward my lack of Galactic Empirical cultural knowledge? Moff Fa. . . yes Sir."

Choose her words, her phrases wisely, her inner voice sang. The Emperor himself had given her a lengthy leash and near infinite resources. Mostly, the woman was trying to wrap her brain around the sudden switch in fortunes. She'd never had so much as a new ship or enough credits to live in a place that didn't have an infestation of some unseemly variety. When she was a teenager dancing in the ballet troupe they stayed in all manner of places from foul to fairest, but the idea that she'd suddenly come into money and prestige glanced over her conscious mind for the slimly growing hope that she could help salvage her husband's life.

"I can help Kei?" Aditya whispered softly, a confined and precious moment of spousal safety and will. The feminine will in her clung to the idea, holding it against the cold mark of the Prefect and military grey. Ah yes, the choice would be a simple one with the Army's General in @[member="Akio Kahoshi"]'s industrial hidden pocket. The Emperor had chosen wisely a woman who would give no quarter to salvage both the opportunist who granted her this right, but the mighty arm of their best chance. "Makes sense, your imminence. I can aide the Army of Light, and no Atrisians have to die in the inevitable war of attrition. I expect building them the shells of ships isn't out of the question, nor is a blind eye of amnesty within our borders, as long as the safety of our citizens is priority alpha? I can assure you, this position will be used wisely, I don't pander to wasting time and money. As for Kei, he is above all a soldier. Give him a target and he'll fight to bitter bone to defeat it. He is no politician. He has no will to conquer worlds and set down roots. There will be opportunity for the Empire to swoop in and claim what once was lost."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom