Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Clawdaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honour

"Terribilis est locus iste"
270915898_3b84f9d176_o-660x385.jpg

Pistol Shrimp; Source and inspiration

[SIZE=9.5pt]Name:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Clawdaddy[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Designation:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Non-sentient[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Homeworld:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Carnovia[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Language:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]None[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Average height of adults:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]3m[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Skin color:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Red, Orange, Pink, Transparent[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Hair color:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]N/A[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Breathes:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Underwater [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Strengths:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Crustacean armor protects it from projectiles that may work underwater; incredible claws[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Weaknesses:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Being a [/SIZE]crustacean, clawdaddies undergo periods of molting. Armorless, they are particularly vulnerable to predators. Their armor is also segmented, leaving gaps in defense that are easily exploitable.

[SIZE=9.5pt]Distinctions:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]The clawdaddy sports a snapper claw which is not made up of two symmetrical halves as a pincher would. Instead, it features an immobile portion which has a socket. The other half is mobile, and is a plunger that fits into the aforementioned socket. It opens the plunger, building tension, until a closer muscle contracts it, setting off the whole bit with incredible force. This displaces water that jets out at 32 meters per second, the high velocity causing the pressure to drop below the vapor pressure of water. Tiny bubbles swell in this low pressure, then collapse when the pressure climbs again, creating a snap sound. More importantly, the bubbles’ collapsing generates, for a split second, temperatures of 4427 degrees Celcius and a flash of light, causing prey to be killed instantly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Average Lifespan:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]50 years[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Races:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Several different species, probably, but that’s for the academics. For all intents and purposes, they may as well be the same thing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Estimated Population:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Uncommon, found in burrows along the ocean floor[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Diet:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Smaller fish[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Communication:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]N/A[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Culture:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]N/A[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Technology level:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]N/A[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]General behavior:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]The clawdaddy lives in a burrow in undersea coral or rock (usually carved out by shooting its insane bubbles into the surface, carving out a cave over time). As prey swims by, the clawdaddy will emerge, click its claws, kill the poor trespasser, then drag it back into the cave for consumption. At least twenty times during its life, the clawdaddy will undergo a molting process as it becomes larger. A day before this process, it will absorb sea water and swell up significantly, cracking its shell so that it may husk it off. During these period, it is far more cautious about leaving its den.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]History:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]The Kahjeen encountered the clawdaddy early in their colonization. The sonic vibrations of the massive claws clicking would often rebound off the walls of the hydrostatic bubbles, and the people of Arcadia would sometimes see the flashes of light in the underwater dark. They would, of course, investigate, and many people would get hurt.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.5pt]Since then, the Kahjeen have perfected their hunting strategies, shocking the unfortunates with their “fishin’ poles” until death, or blasting the creatures with their own "Cla[/SIZE]wdaddys,” a weapon of the same name made by adding a trigger mechanism to a stolen claw of a previously killed clawdaddy. The clawdaddy is then taken back to Arcadia where its shell is often used in the construction of bongos and its meat is enjoyed for dinner.

[SIZE=9.5pt]Notable Player-Characters:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]None[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]Intent:[/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=9.5pt]Create a source origin for some of the Guilde’s underwater weaponry with a unique technological flavor.[/SIZE]

[member="The Honour"]

This submission is UNDER REVIEW, and you will be tagged by myself or another Codex judge when one of two things happens:

1) There are edits being requested.

2) There are no (further) edits required.

Thank you for your patience. :)

[member="The Honour"]

Mm, crustaceans. Crustaceans are tasty.

Well, there's really only two things:

1) The weaknesses, mate. Non-sentience isn't a weakness, nor is natural predation (it being a fact of life that they're eaten by at least one other creature). Please find a minimum of two other weaknesses. If you have trouble thinking of something else, please ask! I'll be happy to provide some input!

2) I would drop that '8000°F' by quite a bit. Water boils at 212°F, at standard atmospheric pressure and I haven't the faintest clue what eight-thousand degrees would do, but it seems rather excessive. Also worth noting is the melting points of rocks and minerals - the link lists the temperatures in °C, but 1200°C is only 2192°F. Also consider that seafloor hydrothermal vents expel water up to a temperature of about 867°F, for another reference point.

I think what I'm saying here is expelling temperatures of 8000°F would simply kill the creature from proximity. :)

The Honour

"Terribilis est locus iste"
[member="Ilias Nytrau"]
1) Loud and clear. As there's basically no information on Carnovia, I'm kinda having to invent all the sealife as I go. So, like, the only other thing I could compare it to at this point in regards to Strengths vs. Weaknesses are the people on-world. I'm interested in your ideas.

2) It sounds insane, but 8000 degrees Fahrenheit is literally the quoted temperature for the pistol shrimp that exists in real life, which this submission is just a GIANT recreation of. The article (linked at the picture source) makes sure to mention that this is as hot as the surface of the sun. It's only for a fraction of a second, though, and I've checked this against other sources. Usually it kills the creature, but sometimes, it only stuns them and they're eaten alive. Brutal.

[member="The Honour"]

1) Well, crustaceans usually molt, and are generally vulnerable during the regrowth period of their exoskeleton - if you do this, you'll need to mention molting as part of their life cycle. Also, joints in any creature are usually a weak spot, so you could do something with that. Lastly... I'd say being endangered by your own heat output is definitely acceptable as a weakness!

2) Oh, I stand corrected then! That's pretty neat. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom