Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classification Clarifciation

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
55_zps6d4aed8e.jpg

Image source: http://www.fractalsponge.net/gallery/

Hello there!

So I've been looking forward to the next big project for the IR to set our sights on.

I would like to produce the Allegiance Class and the Secutor Class here at some point in the near future. No we will not be having dozens of these things or anything like that.

My question lies in the classification of the Allegiance Class with the discrepancy rests with the following
  • According to this site's methodology of ship classification which is apparently based on a modified version of the Anaxes War College System the Allegiance Class falls under the Destroyer section as shown as an example. in the Length, Width, and Height sections of that ships template submission
  • According to wookieepedia the vessel is classified as a battlecruiser, which by that definition means that it would then fall under the Flagship category here on this site.
  • That being said a Destroyer is 1000-3000 meters, while a Flagship is 2000-5000 meters in length. Yet the minimum requirement for a vessel of 2200 Meters (Allegiance Class and Secutor Class) according to the general rule #3 requires that "Ships at or above 1,700 meters will always require a development thread. Minimum: 20 posts, 2 writers." While a Flagship thread requirements is minimum 400 posts and seven writers
While according to the canon the Secutor Class is considered a Star Destroyer rather than a Battle cruiser due to differences in weapon capabilities. While on here it would be considered a dedicated carrier (canonically capable of housing 144 void craft fighters/bombers along with an unspecified number of shuttle craft and dropships, likely comparable number of near twice that of an ISD)

Now the Allegiance Class is arguably the epitome of Ship of the Line in the stars universe, it may lack void craft capacity but it makes up for it in the sheer capital ship fire superiority that the Galactic Empire so relied on to achieve hegemony.
Thus I would presume that I and others would need to go above and beyond the minimum requirement of general rule number 3 in order for our submission to be even considered.
NOTE: That the armament of this vessel has never been as fully defined as the ISD series. Which is part of the reason I bring up this topic as well

These will only be granted command to a few Player Characters who actually make the effort to have command of one these puppies or under the command of the presently NPC Empress Kista Fel. That being said as a submission piece it would likely be considered Semi Unique with an exception of the Empress being in command of one of these vessels.

As present Faction Leader of the Imperial Remnant it is obviously something that would be discussed if it were to be used in an invasion/dominion/or skirmish that involved another Major/Minor faction so that a fair story may be told.

Production: (The scale is Unique (Only One Character), Semi-Unique (Only A Handful of Characters), Limited (Only A Select Group Of NPCs/PCs), Minor (Any Character, Only Select Groups Of NPCs), Mass-Produced. (Anyone.))

• My goal here is determine how to approach achieving this goal in a fair manner!
  • The answer to this will best help determine the course of story crafting necessary to reach these goals!
  • Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to our discussion!
The Empire Endures

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
[member="Darth Vitium"]

Perhaps my phrasing did not clearly state my own confusion :huh:

My question arises from my desire to build the Allegiance Class as featured in the opening post's picture (along with links to its glory) :cool:

Again as stated above there are discrepancies as to how one goes about creating one of these beauty's ^_^

First discrepancy is found here in the Destroyer Template with the Allegiance featured as an example :(

Length: (Via Metric System. Max: 3000 meters. Examples: Venator-class Star Destroyer: 1137 meters, Imperial-class Star Destroyer: 1600 meters, Allegiance-class Battlecruiser: 2200 meters)
Width: (Via Metric System. Max: 3000 meters. Examples: Venator-class Star Destroyer: 548 meters meters, Imperial-class Star Destroyer: 900 meters, Allegiance-class Battlecruiser: 1100 meters)
Height: (Via Metric System. Max: 3000 meters. Examples: Venator-class Star Destroyer: 268 meters, Imperial-class Star Destroyer: 400 meters, Allegiance-class Battlecruiser: 450 meters)

Thus as I stated in the opening post it would fall under general rule #3

3. Ships at or above 1,700 meters will always require a development thread. Minimum: 20 posts, 2 writers.

However canonically the vessel as I described above in detail is considered a battle cruiser :eek:
Which would then mean according to this template

Flagship
Link: http://starwars.wiki...m/wiki/Flagship
Variants: Battlecruiser, Dreadnaught, Super Star Destroyer, Command Ship, Assault Carrier
Average Length: 2000-5000 Meters.
Would then mean

Quoting starts here (cause in t he preview of this post it wasn't working) <_<

Flagships

1. Only Major Factions may own Flagships.

2. Flagships are a prefix located in the Star Wars: Open Role-Playing forum.

3. The requirements of the Flagship thread are as follows:

a. The thread must be a minimum of 400 posts.

b. There must be at least 7 writers actively involved in the thread.

c. The thread is public and is open to any other Major Faction to join.

d. The production - or possession - of the Flagship must be the thread's major focal point.

5. No player may captain a ship over 3,000 meters without the Major Faction Owner's consent.

6. No ship over 3,000 meters will be approved for any Major Faction without a completed Flagship thread.

7. Each Flagship must be labeled Unique.

Unquoting (wheeeeeeeeeeee) ^_^

• Again my confusion comes from the fact the Destroyer template allows//includes up to 3000 meter in length vessels while battle cruisers start at 2000 meters under the Flagship template.
  • As I mentioned in the original post I understand the this site uses an "Adjusted Anaxes War College" it is confusing though that there is this overlap between the Destroyer and Flagship designation.
  • My desire is to understand and appropriately approach this project with preliminary storyboard write ups of goals and objectives.
  • Determining which category this vessel would fall under will aid in laying down the keel so to speak of this story.
  • I already plan to go extensively above the minimum requirement of rule #3 but if I need to go from 2 to 7 writers I'll need to know before hand to round up the necessary people to aid in this endeavor! :cool:
  • This vessel is a Canon warship that has undefined weapons features when compared to our extensive canonical knowledge of the Imperial Star Destroyer I and II series which is why I want to understand what category does it truly fall under so that I may add to the canvas the details to better present you the factory judges a submission worthy of judgement!
  • lastly emoticons are fun :p

I'm here to add on to that...

If I might be honest, I had different reactions in use of classifications in the past. I've used unlisted ones such as "capital killer' and suffered no issues whilst other times I have. I had always assumed classification had nothing to do with the size of a vessel but rather it's purpose amongst the fleet. I Mean, you could have a 'pocket battleship' that's meant to fulfill the same role was a destroyer but is only the size of a cruiser, but you'd still have to list it as a heavy cruiser in classification by some standards but for others they don't care...

[member="Caius Flavian"]
A flagship is a unique vessel, powerful in weapons and attack craft beyond anything else on this site. Thus, if you build a flagship you are building a unique, one of a kind showpiece.
Although there is a lower limit of 2000m for a flagship, let's face it, if you're putting that much effort into something, you're going to go big.

So really, if you want a ship which is able to be built more than once and fits into the stats for a Destroyer, that's what it is. If you want to do a gigantic, unique flagship, you use that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom