Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Children of the Wastes

It took a lot of haggling, but Choli negotiated a large plastic container of moisture farm water. With her personal moisture collector, it should allow Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser and her to have plenty of water if they were strict with their hydration to keep them hydrated but not wasteful. She could also track down waterholes or locate areas to collect water should the need arise. It was more if they had to go out into the Dune seas themselves. The canyons had pockets of caverns and deep wells where the moisture would collect and linger, along with scattered oases. However, most were considered sacred sites for the Tuskan Raiders and were likely well protected.

Choli wanted to avoid any potential altercations. Even if deep down, she desperately wanted closure with that aspect of her childhood. At this time, the odds of finding the Tuskan Raider tribe she had been adopted into were low. So many years had passed, and they had left her as a sacrifice to the ancestors. Would she even be accepted back? Who knows.

Maybe she could make new ties with another tribe, but there were so many variables to put into play. Whether or not they would accept her, their oral stories, and how they would interact with one who had been cast aside in honor but no longer had her bantha either. There were traditions and expectations in play.

It was something for the girl to consider. Not only for who she is but also for who she would be. Her past was equally crucial to that future. It wasn't just the Tuskan Raider tribe, but also for who she was even before that. The drifter colony ship that had crashed when the Sand people found her left precious little evidence of who her blood-related parents were and where they came from.

There were so many questions. Not enough answers. Choli could only hope that with this rite, she could at least move forward and go from there.

Arr-four gave a small nudge at her leg, bringing her out of her reverie. [ Sorry about that, Arr -four. ] she apologized, grabbing the water container to head back to Jared.

[ Alright, got the water, Jared. ] Choli called out, finding the Mirialan shortly. She was glad to see there was room for her and her gear.

[Not bad. Not bad at all. ] she complimented his speeder.

Water was important on this desert planet. Far from the warmth and safety of the Core worlds, the Rim was actually where Jared found himself. The comfort of Corellia and Csillia were important and did shape Jared, but he was his father's son, and that caused its own level of complications. Jared wanted to be his own man, his own person in general. It caused him to step away from the Jedi, and into the role he found for himself, a Judge, a Marshall.

Ever the journeyman of the Force, he was trained as a Jedi, and a Jensaarai, and then the Hunter that he called himself. Out to help those in need, and explore the galaxy and the Force. And it brought him to everywhere he needed to be. That included here. This world was different and he was going to bring all he could to not step onto the toes of others. It was not his world.

Very few worlds were his. Corellia was broken before, Csillia was annihilated. Between his starship and Sullust, Jared found himself fairly vagrant.

"Good. We're all set here." He grabbed the water and hooked it into the net on the side of the swoop. Sometimes you needed to be a bit more creative in the solutions of carrying equipment and material. Looking down at Hopper, Jared looked up to Choli.

"Do we have a destination, or direction?" The droid made its way to Choli as Jared stepped to his swoop, starting it up and waiting for the destination to take off towards.

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

With a nod towards Hopper and Arr-four, Choli slid her backpack and satchel off of her back, asking [ Where would this be best to pack at? ]

Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser knew his speeder bike best in regards to weight. As for his question, [ Jundland Wastes, going towards the Western Dune Sea. ] The Jundland Wastes were a dry, hot, and rocky region between the Northern and Western Dune Seas. In the native parlance, "Jundland" meant "No Man's Land."

The remote area primarily consisted of several canyons that wound their way around a number of large mesas and were situated near the Dune Sea. Their most significant concern would be the Tusken Raiders and any potential Nikto roving bands that inhabited the area. Several layers of rocks within the Wastes were tilted, indicating graben formations, many of which contained magnetic deposits that obscured sensors.

[ I have a general idea and can use geographic formations to guide you to the specific canyons that led towards the Western Dune Sea. Once there, picking up the trail for the Sand Demon and tracking it down is a matter -- while avoiding any of the Raiders or Nikto swoop bike gangs.]

She wasn't sure if there would be enough room for both Hopper and R4, so she asked the question [ Would it be best to leave Arr-four behind? ] Arr-four gave a sharp whistle of annoyance, but it hadn't been the first time such a circumstance came up. She could have him stay behind with one of the local vendors, paying them for the trouble of ensuring none the Jawas or someone else took him.

Jared was more than happy to help make sure they were all dressed and ready to go. He grabbed the bag for Choli, more out of 'this is my bike' than any 'I am man' type of thought. Clear in his body language. "Over here, I think." He had a net on both sides, to hold additional cargo, would help with Arr-Four as well. Lucky for him, Hopper was small and could actually sit just about anywhere with the small magnetic feet. Placing the bag, he made sure it was as close to Choli as possible, in case she needed it.

Back to directions, this was not his trek so it wasn't for him to lead, just be the method of arrival. "Jundland Wastes… Haven't been out there yet but heard it mentioned plenty a' times." He nodded. The direction was fine, he had a vague idea of where they were going to go. It wouldn't be a bad trip, but once they got closer, Choli would have the reigns to lead the exact destination.

"Nah, I got a system rigged for some more metallic cargo. Stripped an rear structural enhancing crossbar for a magnetic tow hook." He looked at the droid. "Just enough to keep boxes together, nothing to fry his circuits." He smiled at the droid. Flipping a switch, he turned the magnetic hook on. A small box was nearby and Jared took ownership of it, helping Arr-Four in.

When they were all ready, and barring any additional resistance from the droid. They'd be off.

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

Arr-Four gave a hoot in cheer. He was not going to be left behind. Already seeing Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser in a favorable light, he even gave the Mirialan an appreciative whistle—the flirt.

[ Is that all it takes, Arr-four? A magnetic hook? ] Choli teased the Pebbledrone, who immediately started in a series of chitters and trills to defend itself.

Laughing, her rebreather resonating the humor with a metallic ting, Choli returned her attention to Jared and gave a nod of gratefulness. [ Thank you. ]

Her slim but athletic figure came to stand beside Jared once they were ready. Seeing as it was a speeder bike, she added, [ I apologize for the close confines. ] This would also push her personal boundaries, but something had to give. Just had to remember what the ultimate goal was for.

[ How do you want me? ] She asked, gesturing to the bike. Once she knew what Jared was comfortable with, she sat, and they could head out.

[ So why were you at Jundland the last time? ] the former Rogue pilot asked, curious to learn more about Jared.

He may not call any Order home, and wasn’t even all that listed to the other groups. Just showed that one didn’t need to have a whole lot of doctrine forced on them for years to remain a good person. Or that Force based religious trauma was a real thing. Like his family, all he wanted to do was help people.

“Depends on the cargo, the mag hook isn’t a bad idea to have. When I used this as a Judge, the swoop was more armed to deal with threats.” But out here? And in his current life? It didn’t need it. Its why his own shuttle, a Niathal, had lacked some of its weapons, and was a bit butchered to use the front part of the cargo hold to seal with an E-Wing’s cockpit. The fighter was slaved to jump with his shuttle.

Life changed when you weren’t hunting for wars to fight, and merely out there to defend people.

As for her next statement, had Jared been drinking water he may have spit it out. “I mean, we’ll be riding tandem, if that works for you. Still haven’t quite rigged a side-along seat.” He never realized he needed it until now.

“Oh… haven’t been. Sorry, sand, dry air.” He waved a hand to dismiss it. “But I have heard its one of the more interesting places on the planet. The Tusken Raiders, the Krayts… Not that I was ever going to run in unannounced.” Jared did know better than to go tramping through some areas, especially if the word ‘sacred’ was anywhere near it.

Except Jedi and Sith temples. Those were his freebie.

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

Had she not her goggles or rebreather, Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser would have seen Choli's olive face flush in embarrassment. [ Sorry, that is my mistake. I misunderstood. ] in regards to the miscommunication in thinking Jared had visited the Jundland Wastes before.

[ Tandem works for me. ] Again, personal boundaries, but it was fine. Just had to think about the end goal and that she was lucky enough to get someone willing to take her to where she needed to be.

With that, she sat on the speederbike, swinging one leg over before settling down. Arr-four gave a hoot and a whistle, and Choli responded with [ No, I'll be fine. ]

Turning to look at Jared, she gave a nod of confirmation. [ It is an interesting place. Beautiful even. There are areas that make you wonder if Tatooine was always a desert world. The old stories by the Storyteller say that it wasn't, but they also say that this world was cursed. ]

Oral stories were the only way their traditions would survive with the Tusken Raiders. [ I am not familiar with which Tusken Raider clans may be on their migration, but if we meet any, I'll handle it. It isn't the Krayt Dragons or the Sand People that one has to worry about. It is underestimating the desert. ]

The last time she served as a guide, it had been for Trextan Voidstalker Trextan Voidstalker . He'd nearly given her a heart attack when he had left the safety of the cavern to go out into maw of a sand storm. All because the Force had been guiding him towards the Krayt Dragon that would provide the pearl for his lightsaber. At the time, she'd thought him and that Force he so believed in foolish. Idiotic. How could he gamble with his life like that? It had infuriated her to no end. Years later, after Choli's own series of adventures and meeting others, learning more about the Force, she could understand why he stepped out into the swirling sands of the storm.

But it didn't mean she still approved of it.

The Errant Forcer just waved it off. “No worries. Sand getting into everything here Clogging up the works and giving a bit of dry mouth.” He laughed and actually did wave his hand. As a Mirialan hybrid, he’d have recognized a blush, but he wasn’t even sure of Choli’s skin tone, could it have shown enough for him to see?

“And don’t worry, I ain’t gonna bite. Just get up from here to there.” He nodded, trying to do his best to make her feel comfortable. Strangers meeting on a desert rock getting thrown into something like this, didn’t always make for the most stable partnerships. But Jared wasn’t worried.

He had a lightsaber after all.

“Lets get moving then.” Jared nodded as he felt the bike shift to respond to the addition of Choli aboard. He looked over his shoulder at her, before lifting the goggles up onto his eyes. “I mean I’ve been to cursed worlds. This doesn’t have the same feeling, but I’m not a storyteller.” He didn’t catch the capital S on Storyteller. “And the world changed? With two suns I just assumed it was always a sand box.”

“One of the things I’ve learned is to not anger the locals.”
He didn’t want to step in anyone’s sand if he could help it. “I’ll let you run that discussion, I can drive and be the silent type.” With a lightsaber. And with that, the pair were off. Hopper was prepping the course and giving a small holographic projection and allowing Jared to follow based on the colors on the back of his head.

Droid navigators came in all shapes.

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

[ Well, Storytellers are held in the highest regard. ] Choli began to explain, detailing the story regarding Tatooine and why there would be a measure of truth to it. [ The Sand People have no written language, so they rely on oral history to pass the stories of the people down. If an apprentice Storyteller were to relay a mistake, they would be put to death. ]

The explanation would relay to Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser that it wasn't just telling stories in general. It appeared that Choli knew more about the Tusken Raiders than the typical traveler.

[ It is said that the Builders were at fault for the ravaging of the world and that following the bombardment and desertification of the planet, the holy warriors drove off the oppressors through a heroic struggle. ]

Settling in, Choli gave a nod at Hopper's holographic map. From her perch, it was correct. She gestured and adjusted the coordinates by instructing where to head first.

[ We can cut through this gorge. There should be another outpost there if we need anything. Outside of that, the deeper we go, the more aware we will have to be of our surroundings. It is best that we do not travel during the heat of the afternoon sun, but stick to early mornings or later afternoon. ] they were lucky that the heat of the twin suns was starting to wane.

[ If we can make it to these canyons, I know of a place that we can set camp for the night. ] she gestured just past the gorge area.

Jared could totally understand that. In his line of work, stories were the important way to figure out what he was actually looking for when the locals were in a panic. He’d been hired to go after monsters and the dark side that was left from one Sith conquest or another. However, the locals would always lose their definitions when they were describing what they were being hounded by. But the locals were known to have their elders who could keep the outsiders, and outlanders informed.

“It is serious then, with the Tuskens, no written, then if the oral traditions are lost, everything is.”
He nodded. As for the Builders. That sounded a lot like the Forerunners. Why did Choli know so much of this world? She was hunting a Sand Demon, so maybe she had just done her research. He wasn’t much to look beyond someone’s skills and thirst for their quest.

As she was giving direction, Hopper was beeping towards her and then to him. “Another outpost. Got it. I think we should be good. I’ve got enough power cells for all my gear and then some.” He looked at the map and the surrounding areas.

“I’ll get us to the canyons.” He nodded and put the power to the accelerator. Using the local positioning software, Hopper was running the map as the quad of adventurers made their bound deeper into the desert.

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

The speeder bike hummed with energy, its tapered form slicing through the desert air with precision. Dust swirled in its wake as it raced across the barren expanse, the twin suns casting their fiery gaze upon the rugged terrain.

Hopper would chirp and trill now and then, giving Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser occasional instructions on which direction to head towards. They passed a small caravan of moisture farmers, their speeders laden with large containers of water slated to be sold in nearby outposts and Mos Eisley and Mos Espa markets.

The desert stretched endlessly, vast expanses of golden sands intermingled with rocky outcrops and rugged plateaus. The speeder bike maneuvered effortlessly, its thrusters pulsating with power, propelling it forward with a determined hum.

Meanwhile, Choli peered from behind her goggles, watching the vast desert with melancholy affection. While it may look like a desolate place, Choli saw a quiet, breathtaking beauty that often goes unnoticed by those who see only barren landscapes. Its beauty lies in the subtle details, the resilience of life amid harsh conditions, and the raw, untamed essence of nature.

In the daylight, the sun paints the desert with hues of amber and ochre, casting long, dramatic shadows across the landscape. At night, the desert transforms into a celestial spectacle. The sky becomes an expansive canvas adorned with a myriad of stars, painting a breathtaking celestial display. The air cools, and the silence of the desert becomes profound, interrupted only by the occasional howl of a Tatooine Howler or the rustle of the wind through the sands.

Save for the scurrying of desert Womprats and being chased by a small pack of Anooba's, the pair didn't face any problems. Even with the additional weight and the modifications provided by Jared, they had plenty of speed to avoid the wolflike pack predators.

By late afternoon, the crests of the canyons of Jundland were within sight.

Here is where things grew tricky.

[ Outpost Solara is right here. ] She gestured to a small section along the valley before the bottlenecking entrance towards the gorge.

[ Right here, however, there may be a chance of coming across Tusken Raider snipers. ] Choli indicated a section of cliffsides.

[ The bottleneck of the gorge entrance has been used before as a place to pick out soft hits of travelers. ] Not all the clans of the Sand People were the same. Some were more aggressive. Others preferred to be left alone to live their lives. Yet it was this minority that resulted in casting a shadow across all the clans, regurgitating a cycle of prejudice that resulted in violence.

If the galaxy was vast, each planet was its own infinite microcosm. Yes it sounded weird, but when Jared made his way to many of the Outer Rim planets, he had met more than several beings that had only known the world he was on. It made him melancholy, all these people with all their dreams of expanding their lives and seeing the galaxy and some were trapped in the same city they had grown up in.

There was something to be said for travel.

These farmers were at least making a travel around, from where they were, to where they were going to be selling their wares. Farming was not an easy life, and it was fulfilling, from what Jared had heard. And moisture? It was needed for this world. As much as this world was dry and harsh, it had its beauty below the surface. Jared had been working on learning more about himself and where he stood in the Force.

The ride through the desert sands was peaceful, calm. Like before a storm.

As she gave the lay out of the land, Jared nodded, but it got him thinking. He knew a few worlds well, but not this well, not the reason and extent of what beings would do in a certain location. “How do you know this world so well?” He didn’t feel threatened, but there was an interest. “We get through here, then where?”

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

Those goggles would lift at Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser 's query, but hidden away behind the tinted lenses, it was hard to pick up on the tentative expression Choli gave. Combined with her Epicanthix heritage, even getting an inkling through telepathic or telempathic means was even more challenging to pick up.

Anytime anyone asked her a variation of the question Jared posed for her, Choli had one of two responses if she revealed the truth: that she grew up an adopted member of a Tusken Raider tribe since she was a child and had been educated in their care under their traditions and skill sets. Either their bigotry and prejudice immediately considered her to be a savage and blamed her or the Tusken Raiders as a whole for the few who would be responsible for horrible acts, or they would assume she was spinning them yarn and that she didn't really know anything and was just guessing.

This is why, by this point, she merely answered in terms that would provide enough detail but not the full extent. At this point, she couldn't risk being stranded if Jared turned out to be one of the former or the latter.

[ I grew up in the Wastes. ] Choli's tinny voice relayed. Not a lie. [ So I have served as a guide before. A more hostile tribe generally patrols these cliffs. If things haven't changed, they will still be there, especially if resources have been low and they have not harvested a Krayt Dragon to eat.]

As for his next question, [ Once we get past the snipers, we can follow the gorge, then take an underground path. There is an entrance here that leads through the ancient sandstone gullies out towards the canyon region, where we can start tracking. If we can get to the gullies, we can camp there for the night, get a few hours of sleep, and then continue through morning. ]

She could also hunt their dinner then.

He had no problem with how she knew things. It was more the conversation of it. Jared wanted to know what he was getting into, and how Choli came about her information was important. Showed how deep it went down. It was just like him, how he was discovering the Force, and where he was learning it. Jedi arts from a Jedi Master, the Jensaarai skills from Veino Garn Veino Garn , and even some beginner witch lessons from Brooke. It helped to be a bit varied.

Granted, all his variations on the Force were in a direction to help fight the monsters out in the galaxy. If he was being honest, he was a Force Wielder who was a sell-saber. The trick was doing it all right and keeping his head about him. But being part of the Outer Rim? Well, the niceties of the Core worlds seemed to fall away with that.

It was all a matter of perspective.

“Home world then? Haven’t been back a while? Without a desert faring mount or ride?” Didn’t this world have Skyhoppers? He was tempted to buy one and see what he could do, get it on his shuttle and maybe have some fun with it.

Oh, snipers. Right. With that, Jared was nodding. Pushing the throttle harder, with the extra weight it wasn’t all that it was supposed to be. The crack of one, two, three slugthrower shots hit the sand near the bike, a fourth hitting right where the side car would be. Starting to weave the bike, Hopper gave a squeal.

“Sounds like the found us! Will they pursue?” He debated reaching for his Kyber Cannon but wanted to keep the focus on avoiding being shot.

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser

[ Yeah. Raised in the Wastes. ] Choli answered him, already pulling her QQ-83N sidearm as they neared the area she’d mentioned regarding the snipers.

[ We will find out. ] she replied, setting her sidearm to stun. While it would have a smaller range, it would be better to knock them unconscious than killing anyone. She didn’t need them looking out and starting a vengeance raid after them.

[ I will cover us. Just keep driving. ] she told him, Arr four in the background giving a wail of alarm as he almost got hit.

Narrowing her eyes, Choli searched the canyon walls for nooks and crannies where the snipers might lay prone. Catching sight, she immediately started sending a volley of particle beams. A few manage to strike true, a growl then a flop of heavy weight falling onto the dirt. Not dead, just unconscious.

[ looks we have two more up ahead!] she warned him.

She was raised here. Interesting. Everyone was raised somewhere, for him, it was a world that no longer existed. For Choli? A world most seemed to want to avoid unless they had no where else to turn. That was the thing about desert worlds, easier to live than that of the frozen wastes. But Mirial was an arid world and that made all the difference. Here, he could work a way his mother’s people could, but still, this was hotter, drier.

Jared was more than happy to ride with someone who knew this world. Made his life a lot easier and less guesswork in the exploration.

As the shots started, she moved quickly. “Roger.” He pushed the throttle farther down, moving the bike faster.

Hopper and Choli announced the same thing at the same time. Gripping the handle bars,Jared slammed the airbrake and slid the bike. “Hang on. Taking another route.” He thought. He hoped, at least.

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

In the narrow canyon's dusty swirls, the roar of swoop bike engines filled the air as Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser maneuvered between jagged rocks, his hair ruffling in the wind. With swift precision, Choli fired off a few more shots, aiming to deter the encroaching Tusken Raiders. Their wild yells echoed as they retaliated, sending bolts flying past her.

[ Shortcut?! ] came her tinny voice of alarm. Well, here we go. [ Okay! I'll try to keep holes out of our skins! ] she yelled out.

With Jared dodging and weaving, Choli's focus remained on the snipers. The echo of blaster fire mingled with the bike's roar, creating a symphony of chaos in the canyon as she fought fiercely to protect herself and Jared.

All of a sudden, came the growls and barks of Tatooine Howlers.

[ Damni it. ] she cursed. The howlers were used as security guards for the Sand People, but a few might use them as hunters to bring intruders down as a pack. Are-Four gave a wail of a whistle in alarm as one ran close to his side of the speeder.

Her heart raced, adrenaline fuelling her reflexes as she deftly dodged the incoming shots then sent a solid stun bolt at the Howler attempting to take a bite out of the Pebbledrone.

[ Okay… so they are more aggressive this time around. ] she yelled out wryly.

The map that he had gave him a fairly good overview of the area. What he needed to do was talk to some of the old Outer Rim Coalition contacts about getting a scanning droid to bring aboard his ship. He was plotting to update his ship from just the E-Wing and the Niathal to something a bit more fitting of his station.

Didn’t matter now. What he had was a route, and some canyons ahead of him and the Force. Even with the well known bike to him, the extra passengers were making it a bit heavier and less gainly. Having Choli and her droid here were definitely good, someone to take shots while he focused on driving, but it made the weight of the Horse awkward.

But with what he had at hand? He could do wonders with the vehicle.

“We’ll see.”
He called back as he entered the other part of the canyon pushing the swoop as fast as it could go.

“I can see that.”
More aggressive. The shots were coming closer and rapidly. Jared fell into the Force as he kept the engine pushed forward, allowing a specter of him and Choli to take a left, back to the main canyon while working to dim the real bike and passengers as they kept on the side path.

Hopefully they’d take the bait.

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

Meanwhile, Choli had no clue what Jared was doing with the Force. Being an Epicanthix, she had a unknowingly the natural unconscious talent to shield her minds from Force-assisted mental tricks, influence, domination, and mind reading. So when the Tatooine Howlers seemed to magically start chasing the projected illusion of the speederbike instead of following them, Choli was equally confused as well as shocked.

[ Just what happened? ] she called out, more to herself than to Jared Starchaser Jared Starchaser specifically. It was strange, yet she wasn't going to question it now. Thanking their good luck, Choli cried out. [ We are losing them! ]

Dust trails whooshed in the bike's wake, and the path that Jared took them was starting to get narrower. With the snipers out of the way and the Howeler's attention elsewhere, Choli swung her attention back to Jared, only to have her eyes widen in alarm.

Up ahead appeared to be a ravine, its edge quickly nearing. It seemed as if the other side was close, but at this rate, Choli wasn't able to make a determination. However, with the canyon's steep sides closing in on them, there was no other option.

[ Oh... whoa... whoa... Look out! ] Choli cried in alarm.

It was an illusion, another trick that he had learned around the galaxy. Jared took trips from everywhere and learned a thing or two. As for the fact that they were losing them, it meant that the Howlers were going for the illusion and not for them. That was the whole point of that recent exercise. He’d give her the whole run down when they camped out.

“Good. Hopefully they stay lost.”
With the right speed they’d get to where they were going to be going.

As the canyon sides started dropping, Jared leaned his body to the wall, determined to keep the bike on the cliff side. Slowing it down, he looked at her. “Going to have to take this slow… Whats the local knowledge of this area?”

Choli Vyn Choli Vyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom