Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Charade

Cato’s fury with the system was probably keeping him from breaking down. She didn’t necessarily want him to crumble in her arms, but Inanna did hope to soothe his anger—or at least direct that passion at a less insurmountable goal. He couldn’t defeat human error or the chew-you-up-and-spit-you-out machine economy of Bonadan by beating up criminals in back alleys, no matter how hard he might wish he could.

Sure enough, he spoke of getting his mother offworld. “She can go wherever she wants to go,” Inanna said with a nod, gently stroking his hair. “I don’t think she’d want to live on Nar Shaddaa, but if we—when we move, she can come with us.

Of course, there was a chance that Mrs. Harth wouldn’t want to leave Bonadan, but what was important was that she be given the choice.

Cato frowned a bit, having hoped for a more affirming, if less realistic answer. Hoping they could magically fix everything with a snap of their fingers. But nothing was ever that simple. The Harths would have left long ago if it were easy. But a shortage of money was all it took to stop anyone in their tracks. They couldn’t afford to move somewhere else, to actually live somewhere else. And so they, like so many other people on Bonadan, were trapped in a cycle.

“Let’s go talk to her then,” He said firmly, certain she would agree, He stepped back through the window, offering a hand to help Inanna back in as well. Afterwards, he made a beeline back for the living room, which was now quiet as Mrs. Harth tended to her granddaughter. Cato sighed, “When we’re done with our business on Nar Shaddaa, we’re going to get you out of here mom. Out of Bonadan.”

Mrs. Harth blinked, and pursed her lips, “Cato…”

“What?” He asked in exasperated disbelief.

“Don’t do this to yourself.”

“What?!”

“I couldn’t afford it anyway!”

“It doesn’t matter! I’ll foot the bill my damn self if I have to!”

“It’s not that simple-”

“It is! It is that simple!” Cato knelt down beside her, I’m gone. Naria is gone. Dad is… gone. What could there possibly be left to stick around for?” They stared at one another for a few long seconds, “Please. If not for me, then for Serena…” His continued pleading received another bout of silence. Mrs. Harth studied her son's desperation, then turned to Inanna as well.

Cato gave her a look like he had been hoping for something better. But what else could she have possibly said? They weren’t rich or powerful enough to save the entire world, and Mrs. Harth wasn’t a child they could order around.

Which made the next few minutes all the more painful to witness. Cato literally got down on his knees and begged his mother to leave Bonadan. Mrs. Harth continued to stubbornly refuse, but wouldn’t give a proper reason why. Partly because Cato wouldn’t let her.

Eventually she turned to Inanna, studying her. The Shi’ido stared back, crossing her arms over her chest.

Cato, calm down and let her speak,” she said, surprising herself with how stern she sounded. Part of her was annoyed with him and thought he was acting like a child. But she had been in his position not too long ago, trying to convince her widowed mother to move in with her. She just wanted to avoid making the same mistakes she had then.

Mrs. Harth, you wouldn't be a burden on us, so please don't think that. Nor do we have any intention of trying to force you to leave. We only want you to be happy, living in a place where you truly want to be. Whether that means moving in with us, or staying here on Bonadan—it’s your decision. We’re just offering you a way out.

Cato shot a pained look back at Inanna, but deep down he knew she was the more rational of the two right now. He was desperate to keep his mother safe, already too weighed down by the burden of his perceived failure to protect all the others that were gone too soon. Accepting that it wasn't completely within his control to change was difficult.

Mrs. Harth looked between them a while longer, before sighing, "I… I'll think about it," She resigned. Cato furrowed his brow, still not fully satisfied with the vague answer. But it was a chance, at least. There was more that was keeping her from leaving, but Mrs. Harth did not reveal it to them now. She could tell her son needed that thread to hold on to, so she offered it. His mother stood up from the couch, prompting Cato to stand up as well, taking back the little Serena when she was offered.

"Please be good to yourself, Cato," She rested a hand against his cheek, then slid it behind his neck to pull him down and plant a kiss on his forehead, "For your family's, and for your own." She grew a soft, wistful smile, taking another long look at her now-grown son. Cato still frowned, afraid of the uncertain future, "Your father would be proud of the man you've become… It might take a bit of explaining like it did with me," She chuckled, and he managed to at least crack a sad smile at that, "But he'd be glad to know you stepped up and did the right thing."

"I'll try, mom," He offered, and they embraced briefly, Serena held off to the side and eating her hand. When her grandmother pulled away from the hug, she pinched the little girl's cheek, to which Serena responded with an amused coo. Mrs. Harth then walked over to Inanna, "And thank you for being here, Inanna. Don't forget to take care of yourself, either," She then hugged the woman, and whispered while they were close, "Keep an eye on him, please?"

She’d think about it. That would have to be enough for now. Although one glance at Cato told Inanna it wasn’t nearly enough to satisfy him.

The Shi’ido watched as the mother bid goodbye to her son, a bit confused. Was she kicking them out already? Their visit hadn’t lasted long, but then there had been plenty of sorrows shared in that short amount of time. Perhaps it was best to leave. They could always visit again, right?

Inanna was also surprised when Mrs. Harth pulled her into an embrace. But she accepted the gesture, and hugged her back. “You take care of yourself, too,” she replied, then smirked. “Oh, don’t you worry, I've already got that covered. He’s easy on the eyes.

Was that an inappropriate joke to make to your future mother-in-law? Inanna had no idea. Chit like that had been a hit with the Yomins, but then they were Zeltrons.

And… Well, that was that. Once they were outside the apartment, Inanna turned to Cato and asked, “Am I missing something here, or is it normal in your family for visits to be that short?

Mrs. Harth chuckled amusedly, but there was something unrelated that was seemingly diminishing her spirits, "He gets it from his father," There was at least some humility in that claim, given how similar Cato appeared to his mother. "Goodbye Cato. Come again."

"Bye mom," When they were inevitably ushered outside, his acceptance started to fade all over again, though not without reason, "Not… that I'm aware of," He pursed his lips. It's not like he had been privy to many family visits over the last decade and some change. But he registered it as odd all the same, "I don't think she's telling us everything."

What reason she would have for that, or what she could be hiding, were unknown. But there had to be a more complex reason for so much hesitation, right? Cato had to believe that much. He began walking back the way they had come, to their ship, holding Serena in his arms. After a long bout of silence, he suddenly spoke, something else having clearly been on his mind.

"...When we were in there, you told my mom you 'chose to be what we needed'. Serena and I," He frowned a bit, conflicted as to whether or not he should even continue, "Is that why you asked me to marry you?" Cato couldn't say it was unappreciated. But the thought of their marriage being more a matter of pity or helpfulness than a commitment to love made him feel… odd.

No kidding. Do you think she might be in trouble?

What that trouble might entail, she didn’t know. Maybe Mrs. Harth had gotten involved with the wrong people. Maybe it was something to do with her husband’s death. Maybe she had found a new man and didn’t want to leave without him. Maybe she was just old and set in her ways and didn’t want to deal with change.

Inanna grabbed the baby stroller and started to unfold it, only to see Cato already walking off carrying Serena in his arms. “Guess this is my ride now,” she joked, following them. No doubt Cato had a lot on his mind.

"...When we were in there, you told my mom you 'chose to be what we needed'. Serena and I. Is that why you asked me to marry you?"

Nah, I’m really marrying you because you’re good in bed.” She winked.

But he had asked a serious question, and she owed him a serious answer. She sighed.

Your mom was looking at me like I was crazy for staying with you after Serena came along. And maybe I was—would you have stuck around if it turned out I suddenly had a kid with somebody else?” Granted, it would be a lot harder for her to hide a pregnancy from him, but still. “I do love you both, arranda. But I had to forgive you and put aside my pride to accept another woman’s child.

“Besides,” she continued. “Throwing a baby into the mix definitely sped things up, but I had always hoped we could marry and have a family eventually. I even thought about asking you when I came back from Maranatha, but I couldn't work up the courage. Of course, when I finally did ask, not only did you say yes, you pulled a ring out of your ass like you had been planning the same thing all along.

“...I really hope not,” Cato said, taking the possibility quite seriously. In a place like this, it didn’t seem all that strange. She never struck him as the type to get herself involved, even inadvertently. But with how tumultuous things were, he wasn’t going to rule it out. Inanna’s comment on the stroller flew past him completely as he became enveloped in thought.

Nah, I’m really marrying you because you’re good in bed.

Cato smiled, but the look in his eyes was pleading for a more genuine answer. As much as he found it amusing (and liked hearing her make that claim), this was too serious to brush under the rug with a quip. Inanna realized as much too, and offered her proper response.

Deep down he didn’t really doubt that she loved him, but hearing her reasoning aloud was important. It was a complicated series of events, to put it mildly. Especially as she made mention of a hypothetical where their situations were reversed. He liked to think he would’ve accepted her regardless, but without being in the moment, could he prove that unequivocally? In all likelihood, it would’ve taken a bit of swallowing his own pride as well. Perhaps for her to jump into it as quickly as she did was proof enough of her love, no?

Cato’s smile became more genuine, relieved, and even a little apologetic, “Depends on how good of a case you made,” He said, obviously joking. Serena appearing on their doorstep did also rush things a bit. Though her saying that she already had plans to marry him did make his smile widen, “Heh. Yeah, I guess I did. Can’t say I really planned it like that, but… I had plans to. One day.” Neither of them seemed all that interested in taking things slow, so ultimately, it worked out as best it could.

“Thanks. I needed to hear that.”

Inanna was sufficiently intrigued by the idea of there being something up with Mrs. Harth that she nearly suggested they go back and investigate further. But given that Cato was still reeling from the news of his father’s death, perhaps that wasn’t such a good idea. Another time…

“Depends on how good of a case you made.”

Crossing her arms while she waited for the ship’s ramp to descend, she gave him a grimacing smile. “I’m a member of a species that just suffered a catastrophic genocide. I probably should be off making Shi’ido babies. My mother certainly thinks so.” Among other things…

Boarding first, she set the stroller aside, then turned to face him as he ascended the ramp. “You’re welcome,” she said. “I needed to say it. Oh, and one more thing…

Cupping his chin, she kissed him tenderly. Or she would've, had Serena not attempted to join in by lunging forward and smooshing her face between theirs.

"I probably should be off making Shi’ido babies. My mother certainly thinks so.

Cato's grin grew smug, as he finally felt an opportunity to be at least a little at ease, "Let me know if you need any help with that." A beat passed, before his eyes suddenly widened, and he raised a hand, "B-but, let's make sure we can actually manage raising one kid first, huh?" In the future, then that would certainly be on the table. But they only just got the first, unintentionally, no less.

He took a step onto the ramp, and stopped as Inanna turned around to pull him into a kiss. Except that Serena got between them, earning a kiss on each side of her head instead. She shrieked gleefully in response, and Cato pulled away with a big, amused smile on his face, "Very slick, ya little goblin," He gave her another kiss on the forehead before settling her back against his shoulder, and returning to give Inanna a proper peck as well.

I will bet you fifty credits that, for one reason or another, we won’t bother to make sure we can do it before we do it.” After all, their track record for taking things slow had sucked so far. Why would having kids be any different?

Inanna laughed at Serena’s antics. “This is what we have to look forward to,” she said, turning her head to blow a raspberry against the baby girl’s neck. The ticklish sensation elicited a fit of infectious giggles from Serena.

Cato gave Inanna a kiss that was too quick for Serena to interfere in, and the family disappeared aboard the ship together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom