Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Canon Rancor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hix Tribbul

H
8StnihC.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: Flesh out the Rancor
  • Image Credit: Source
  • Canon: Link
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Links: N/A
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Rancor
  • Designation: Semi-sentient
  • Origins: A number of settled planets including Lehon, Ottethan, Socorro, Carida, Corulag, Dantooine, Ohma-D'un, Trinta, Regosh and Felucia. The strongest and biggest from Dathomir.
  • Average Lifespan: 40-50 years (In the Wild), 60-70 (captivity)
  • Estimated Population: Planetary (On Dathomir and Lehon), Scattered (For most everywhere else)
  • Description: Large beasts associated with the worst scum in the galaxy, thought to be nothing more than hunger driven eating machines. To those that know them, quite docile until disturbed or enticed to anger.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Type 1 atmosphere
  • Average Height of Adults: 7-10 meters for females, 5-8 meters for males (not reflected in young until "teen years"
  • Average Length of Adults: Roughly 2-4 meters (arms at rest and at attention)
  • Average Weight of Adults: 2,000 kg (9 meter specimen)
  • Skin color: Brown to Dark Brown, looks muddy or splotchy
  • Hair color: N/A, if you see one with hair, please alert the authorities
  • Distinctions: Females are much larger than males, easily half again as large. All have thick hides and long arms.
  • Races: Dathomir Rancor are typically larger than all the standards, only roughly half again though (10-15 meters). Most within the race fall within standards unless mutated or genetically altered which would make them a unique case outside of the standard altogether.
  • Force Sensitivity: Rare - (Force Sensitivity noted for Witch Mounts/Bonding)
Strengths:
  • Largely Blaster Resitant - Their thick hides are noted as being blaster resistant, likely due to their combative lifestyle with each other and means of surviving their environment. That isn't to say sustained fire would not bring them down, or that larger laser weapons would not have an easier time of bringing them down also.
  • Large and Well Armed - They have a frighteningly large presence and reach, capable of lifting large objects and go toe to toe with AT-ST's.
  • Hierarchy - Bow to the Strongest among them.
Weaknesses:
  • Simple Minded - The lesser intelligent of the species tend to attack the largest or most annoying thing in sight.
  • Large and Hard to Hide - These creatures do not hide well, if at all. Bio-scanners can easily pick them out and surface scans can usually pinpoint them fairly easily also. Never mind the ground shaking often heard and felt by boots on the ground.
  • Hierarchy - If you aren't in charge, you risk getting hurt trying to order them around.
CULTURE
  • Diet: Carnivore
  • Communication: Animalistic (standard), High Sentience Specimens Use a crude base language of grunts and gestures
  • Technology level: Non-existant, High Sentience Specimens - Stone Age primitive tools
  • Religion/Beliefs: None
  • General behavior: Typically hunters though some subspecies are gatherers. Raise Young but not uncommon to eat their own young. Typical hierarchy system of strongest rules when not solitary.
    • The more sentient of the species, especially those born on Dathomir and Felucia, tend bond together into herds. It is unwise to approach the young of any, as the rancor will throw themselves against the threat. It takes outsiders, whether rancor or other species, a long time to gain their trust and some wild rancors never allow this. They have a strong understanding of loyalty, of family (of blood or herd) and they have a deep respect for hierarchy. On top of any herd is the heard mother (or father), a singular strongest rancor which is expected to protect those around her or him, especially the weak members. Despite being animals, rancors don’t discard the weak unless those weak betray their own or attempt to harm another member of their herd.
  • Most Rancor, meaning those not specifically tied to herd lifestyle and those living by themselves, carve out a chunk of territory that they both patrol and scent mark to warn off competing Rancor. They are large carnivores, and require an equally large area to hunt. It is not uncommon for stronger Rancor to take down and devour lesser of their kind outside of Dathomir. The latter being an exception to the case as they have tight knit family herds and higher sentience than most Rancor.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
*“Everyone always sith’s their pants whenever they see these gentle giants. You sit back, keep quiet, and you’ll see there is more to them than teeth and hunger.”
Hix Tribbul to anyone that will listen

I’ve studied the rancor across a number of planets. Haven’t had a chance to get to Dathomir, but I know they exist there too, just, under a watchful eye. A watchful eye that doesn’t even like people disarming and coming close to their babes. I digress.

Most every Rancor I have come across in the number of planets people have brought them to in early times, earlier than most any can remember save for the official records that exist, share some common themes. All of them that live in isolation from each other seem to devolve into a baser, more instinctual version of the species. I can’t tell if it’s a lack of socialization, or mental stimulation, but aggression and hunger typically drive them.

It’s truly easy to see why most would think these once gentle giants would be hunger driven murder machines. After all, most everyone comes across a singular, territorial female. Either that or have the proper bad luck to stumble across a bull male in mating season.

I was able to see first hand on Felucia, with permission from the locals, the herd of Rancor that is close to their settlement. Some used the great beings as mounts, and were largely left alone by the Rancor. It seems the customs of living peacefully with the great beasts was a holdover from times long past. The very planet exists as proof that the Rancor can, and do exist as more than just great hungry beasts of war.

I’ve noticed the older Rancor are not nearly as easily trained as the younger lot, though the attempt is not impossible for the truly stubborn people. I’ve also heard tales of the Witches of Dathomir being in connection with those rare few Rancor that are in tune with the force. A curiosity truly, to find out someday whether it is the location giving the Rancor their force abilities, or if it is a select gene that is isolated on the planet.

Again, a goal to work towards. I would enjoy nothing more than to watch the relationship between the witches and their Rancor family.

On a number of planets, there exist a small number of herds. Nothing comparable of course to Lehon or what I would suppose is Dathomir’s numbers. On some of these planets, like Felucia, tribal groups have domesticated the Rancor and use them for purposes of war. Not a bad idea, but it is to be noted a large number of the settlements I came across chose to domesticate them to live peacefully with the great beasts.

It is to be noted though, a limited number of the Rancor species operate on sight. Smell seems to be the predominant sensory function for identification between Rancor and their...family? I wonder what the Rancor view those that have domesticated them. Is it a matter of viewing them as friends, family? Or is it something intrinsically deeper?

Do those that are domesticated see the beings living besides them as intelligent species and thus refuse to eat them? Or is it a matter of seeing them as, simply not food? Requires further observations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hix Tribbul

Always good to see someone fleshing out Canon Species, though, it seems that this is more of a re-organization of what exists on the Wookie? It does seem to be re-told in your own words but it's still very similar to what already exists. I would suggest reviewing and adding a little more to make it feel your own.

Aside from that suggestion, there's just one small thing:

Average Length of Adults: 2,000 kg (9 meter specimen)

By 2,000kg I think you mean weight? If you would like to add that you can add an "Average Weight of Adults" field. Otherwise, this is just looking for the Length of an Adult.

Let me know when you're ready and I'll take another pass. Thanks!

Hix Tribbul

H
Srina Talon Srina Talon

Thank you for the suggestions and will definitely do so. As for the weight and average length, I will alter and add that in for clarity. Will let you know when and where the alterations are done.

Hix Tribbul

H
Srina Talon Srina Talon

Altered the historical information. If the data above that also needs to be re-worded just let me know and I will attempt to work that differently also. Thank you for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom