Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camp Firemane

Firemane Training Camp | Location : Silver Sanctum Territory, exact Classified | Program : Firemane Cadet Leadership Camp

Dawn rose over the vast fields of the Firemane Training Camp. Well manicured grass glistened with dew, mists laid in low areas, yet to be burnt off by the rising sun. Despite the idyllic setting, the training camp was anything but quiet. Sentients of all colors were already on training grounds, moving over obstacles while an instructor barked out orders loud enough to be heard across the grounds. Far in the distance, explosions and blaster fire could be heard on another training ground. Smoke rose into the early morning air and a whoop of victory could be heard.

Cutting through the other part of the expansive grounds were a group of children, pre-teens to teenagers. They were wearing camouflage BDU pants, combat boots, and gray shirts with 'FCLC' in bold reflective letters on their backs. It wasn't the standard uniform of Firemane but it was needed to set the children apart. After all, no one wanted the kids wandering into a live-fire exercise.

The sound of boots smacking against the duracrete sidewalk was surprisingly loud for a group of kids. A light jog moved the group at a brisk pace. An Eldorai female called out cadence in perfect timing, keeping the group on a set rhythm.

"...but I tend to disagree."

BUT I TEND TO DISAGREE

"Some say freedom is won through the barrel of a gun..."

SOME SAY FREEDOM IS WON THROUGH THE BARREL OF A GUN

"...tell me why, tell me why..."

TELL ME WHY, TELL ME WHY

Just a week into the camp and the group was already performing better, calling out in unison and keeping up at the jogging pace. Most of the kids in attendance had wanted to come, either interested in military careers or having a family background in the military. Touted as a 'leadership camp', it was designed to give the interested parties a taste of what their life could be in the future.

Hair in a ponytail, Norah stayed in the middle of the pack, doing her jogging and cadence. She had begged to go here. While she was spending a great deal of time on Voss studying at the Silver Sanctum's Jedi Academy....well, not to be a Jedi but archaeology....she sorely missed being around other normal kids. The 5-week intensive leadership camp was what she needed. Normal kids doing obstacles without any mystical powers. Kids with families. Ones that went to normal school and lead an average life.

It made her feel at home, being around so many like her. Home had been hard to come by. Things weren't exactly working with [member="Dirks Hutchinson"] . Hence her time on Voss, it was merely easier to be away. To carve out her own path at such a young age.

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

[member="Norah Kitts-Castillon"]

Firemane was a company that prided itself on technological advancement, a good life insurance and providing varied educational opportunities for both employees and the next generation. Wait, that what the brochure says! Now available at every good...

Anyhow, today's children were tomorrow's employees and officers. Like every company Firemane had a healthy interest in gaining new recruits. Besides, Firemane also prided itself on being supportive of families. Hence, the training camp, and one of the reasons why Siobhan was here today. In the far distance, explosions and blasterfire echoed, creating a crescendo of explosive violence as recruits trained with Firemane's latest death dealers.

'SOME SAY FREEDOM IS WON THROUGH THE BARREL OF A GUN

"...tell me why, tell me why..."

TELL ME WHY, TELL ME WHY'

Siobhan, wearing the camo green Firemane uniform, was passing through after arriving for an inspection tour when the group of pre-teen and teenage recruits came jogging down the sidewalk, moving at a brisk pace that showed how much they had progressed. At this point they were running as a unit and calling in unison. It was evidently less difficult for even the pre-teen recruits to keep up with the commanding pace their Eldorai drill sergeant had set for them. So Siobhan came to a halt and watched them run.

The sight made her quite proud. She'd have to congratulate the camp's commander. However, then out of the corner of her eye she spotted Norah. Right in the centre of the pack. Ok, I kind of did make a mess of things the first time we met, Siobhan thought. Wow, the Countess had admitted that she might've been wrong about something. Truly a surprise. However, with the benefit of distance Siobhan was able to acknowledge that her behaviour had been less than stellar.

Well, sort of. She was a very proud woman, after all. But after learning that Dells' kid was attending the camp, she had decided to pop by. Siobhan was not her guardian and could not claim any parental rights, but part of her still felt responsible for the girl.

Norah caught sight of [member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] from the middle of the pack. Small frown touched her features, unsure of seeing the woman. While Norah was fairly certain the businesswoman would even remember her, seeing the woman hit a little close to the gut. When she accepted the invitation to the FCLC there was a certainly Kerrigan wouldn't show up. Who would show up to a backwater Cadets camp, much less a Leadership conference for a pack of kids?

"Cadets, continue on course!"

Eldorai sergeant barked out orders, stopping so she could personally meet the Siobhan Kerrigan. The Cadets continued on their premarked path without the sergeant for now, trusting the cadet leader would keep the entire pack in line. The Eldorai sergeant smartly saluted, standing ram-rod straight in front of the myth, the legend.

"Sergeant Chels Hone, pleasure for you to visit our humble camp Ma'am."

Yay! She was the centre of attention. Just the way Siobhan liked it. Old habits die hard. Her sense of self-importance would probably never abate. The aristocrat returned the sergeant's smart salute with an equally precise one. Well, Siobhan was a tad less precise than Kaida, but, seriously, that woman looked like she'd born on a parade ground and raised with military drills.

"Thank you, Sergeant. At ease," Siobhan said indulgently. "I'm here to inspect the place and I must say, I'm pleased with what I see. The kids seem to be doing well," at that she glanced over towards the pack of cadets that was continuing their jog across the premarked path.

No slacking, good discipline. "You do good work. Any recruits in particular that stick out?"

Sergeant Chels Hone was nearly bursting with pride when Lady Kerrigan told her to go at ease.This was the Butcher of Gehenna. The woman who had brought down countless roofs across the galaxy. To stand in the presence of someone she idolized was the highlight of her career so far. Chels was fairly certain nothing could top this moment -- unless Kerrigan personally invited her into her inner circle, which everyone knew had a long waiting list.

"Thank you Ma'am. The young adult camp was a great addition to Camp Firemane. Excellent thinking Ma'am."

Could Chels be any more of a suck up? Probably not. If Siobhan Kerrigan told her to jump off a bridge right now she would do so gleefully, marking it the best (and last) day of her life.

"I make sure the Cadets get a real taste of life here Ma'am."

Kerrigan liked her work. Chels couldn't wait to get off work today and hit the bars with her pack of friends. They wouldn't believe that Kerrigan had complimented her of course but she could still brag.

"McHon is standing out. Warye came in first in our initial swim qualifications. Kitts-Castillon showed no fear on the repel tower. Sandson is the front runner for the Cadet Leader, I'll be making my decision tomorrow."

If adoration was like a drug, then Sio was definitely an addict. There were few things she enjoyed more than being idolised and worshipped. Moreover, the Sergeant was easy on the eyes. In any case, Siobhan grinned broadly. "That's a good attitude, Sergeant. We need motivated go-getters like you." All the sucking up was putting Siobhan in a very good mood. There was a gleam in her brown eyes. "I'll be staying here for a bit. Perhaps we can...get to know each other better."

Sometimes it was advantageous when your megacorp was a dictatorship largely run by the whims and dictates of one woman. Anyhow, back to the cadets. "Those kids all sound very qualified. What do you have planned for the rest of the day? I won't interfere with your drills, but I think it would be nice if I met the cadets."

She was quite deliberately not specifically asking for Norah. Firstly, because she wanted to avoid the impression of favouritism and secondly because she didn't want to put pressure on the redhead. For all she knew, the girl really didn't want to meet her.

"Yes Ma'am, I would like that very much. I am surprised to say that you will be staying here but it is a very pleasant surprise indeed. You'll see we run a tight, smooth efficient ship here at Camp Firemane."

Chels was practically gushing. Lady Kerrigan was staying at their humble camp! Here, with the cadets. Even better, she wanted to see Chels on a more social level. Rumor had it once you were invited into Lady Kerrigan's bedroom one was set for life, an easy sailing through the Firemane ranks. Not to mention other fringe benefits....

"After their run the Cadets will be learning the basics of wilderness survival in preparation for their end-of-camp overnight wilderness test. Map reading, basic shelter building, water purification."

There were indeed all sorts of benefits to keeping Siobhan's bed warm. The Countess was a nepotist and, moreover, very generous with gifts. She just demanded lots of attention and top performance.

So she grinned broadly. Siobhan was probably not being subtle about the fact that she was checking Chels out. The Sergeant was gaining approval points almost as fast as the Republic was losing planets! + 45 opinion!

"Excellent. You clearly have things worked very professionally," she said cheerfully. "I'll observe things a bit, but not interfere with your work. When you're finished, I'd like to see them. Say a few words, answer questions if they have any, but I'll try not to take away too much of their free time!"

Briefly her eyes flicked over to the cadets, who were still jogging along. No, she had not forgotten the kiddies and especially little Norah! "Children are lovely, aren't they? Can never get enough of them." The tone in her voice could only be described as motherly. But then she turned her attention back to the Sergeant. "Anyway, carry on, Sergeant."

"Of course Ma'am, I'm sure they'll be interested to hear from you."

Would it be unprofessional to slightly unbutton her top? Chels wasn't sure if her superiors would lay down the law so to speak, so she didn't risk it. The Butcher of the 'Verse seemed to be content in checking out her assets as they were. Besides, one of the children may report back to their parents her cleavage was on display. Certainly more trouble than it was worth.

"Yes, they are something."

The good Sergeant wasn't as keen on children. Either way, Lady Kerrigan seemed to be so it was wise to keep ones mouth firmly shut on the matter. Giving a quick but sharp salute, Chels ran ahead to catch up with the children, breaking into a run in order to close the distance. The children were jogging to their predetermined location in the woods, the materials needed for todays lesson already set up.

It didn't take long to arrive and Chels had the children take a knee.

"Alright Cadets, today we are going over basics for wilderness survival. Shelter making. Water purification. Map reading, trap setting.Plant identification. Pay close attention because this information will only be given out today. It will determine your success on the end of camp survival outing. Now, pick up your plant identification packets, you'll be heading into these woods in an attempt to identify edible plants."

"Go out and bring what you think is edible back, we will taste and share what may be harmful with the group."

In all fairness, it was quite hot this season! However, one must always think if the sweet, innocent kiddies. Even if this was a camp where they'd learn to blow stuff up. Regardless, Siobhan returned the sharp salute. Her eyes followed Chels while she ran back to catch up with the children. Unsurprisingly, Siobhan's gaze focused more on the elf's butt than was appropriate.

So far, things were going well today. Ideally it would stay that way. Casting lusty thoughts from her mind, Siobhan likewise headed close to the woods at the edge of Camp Firemane. In the distance she she could hear the drill sergeant pass out instructions.

From further ahead, though quite faint given the distance, the sound of blasterfire and explosions echoed from one of the training grounds. It was not loud or close enough to interrupt the chirping of the birds though. Finding a good spot, Siobhan sat down on a tree log. Fortunately Siobhan had foregone fancy heels in favour of practical footwear, since it was a bit muddy.

From here she could observe things just fine, without interfering and thus unduly meddling with the sergeant's drill plan. She could also catch up by checking her mails. Of course, one fthe Cadets might stumble on her by chance!

The Cadets broke away from the main group fairly quickly. Rustling occurred as they separated from one another in search of various plants. Norah had a more measured approach. Before running into the woods she stopped and opened the pamphlet on edible plants to look first. There were basic rules, along with many images of plants that could be found in this area.

It was only then she went into the dense woods. Eyes were planted firmly on the ground, searching for tubers or mushrooms. She was trampling through, stopping to overturn logs or look near mossy stones. She snagged a mushroom that sort of looked like the one in the pamphlet, continuing on her way.

Up head was a meadow and she went towards it. Eyes immediately latched onto red. Strawberries! Eager, she bounded forward and focused on the plants, picking up a few of the sweet berries. One made its way towards her mouth as blue eyes scanned the meadow for more berry plants....and found one 'Lady' Kerrigan sitting on a log.

Norah cursed under her breath, of course she would run into the woman.

And so younger redhead met older redhead!

In between observing the kids, Siobhan had been checking on her emails. Plenty of them were fanmail, others were actually serious. However, that soon stopped when she felt a presence creep up on her. Immediately she became more alert and as she focused, suddenly locked eyes with Norah!

Well, gosh. She was getting unobservant in her old age. Ok. She was not old at all. She was perfectly in her prime! "Hey, Norah," Siobhan started, sounding a bit uncertain about how to approach the kid. This might've been a bit odd since one of the reasons for visiting the camp had been to meet her again. However, her tone was still warm.

"Hope I didn't startle you, dear. Didn't expect to run into you in the woods." Her brown orbs fell upon the strawberries Norah had just snatched up. "Nice berries." Ok, that sounded a bit lame.

"Hi."

Unsure she stood at the edge of the meadow, just where she had found the strawberries. Eyes remained steady on Kerrigan as her hands moved to put up the berries. A little sling pouch had been given out to bring back their woodland finds. Berries went to nestle next to the mushrooms, with Norah closing the flap firmly so nothing could fall out.

"Yeah...I didn't expect to find any berries out here.."

"You got a nice selection, dear," Siobhan said, looking at the plants Norah had gathered. She sighed slightly, unsure of how what to say next. "Sergeant told me you're doing very well," she trailed off.

Plucking a beerie free, she stretched out her hand to Norah. "You found the bush yourself, so it doesn't count as cheating," she joked. Lame attempt at levity. "I guess you're on the clock, so I don't want to interrupt things, but I'd like to apologise...for how things went down when we met. I was inconsiderate of your feelings." Wait, Siobhan was trying to apologise for something?

"I guess I am...Its something different to do..."

Norah shrugged a little. There wasn't much she could do about the clock winding down or the incident after her mothers death. It was still an uncomfortable topic and clearly Kerrigan was trying to skirt around it. Although Norah had expected to not run into the woman for many,many more years. The wounds were still a little raw.

"Its fine, doesn't really matter."

Norah lied smoothly. It did matter to her but she'd never give Kerrigan the satisfaction of knowing that. A little bit too much like her mother in some regards.

Siobhan frowned a bit. In some ways, Norah seemed so much like her mother! "It does, but ok," she said. Siobhan saw the lie for what it was, or at least thought she did, but didn't say more on this.

There was much she wanted to talk about, but she didn't want to come across as pushy. She put the berrie in Norah's hand. Two more were levitated into it. "Guess you got an exercise to complete, dear. We can talk later...if you want."

"If you want to."

Norah watched as the berries entered her hand. They went into the pouch with the rest of them. She stared awkwardly at Kerrigan for several long moments before she thought it might be wise to speak again. Flame-red hair went tucked behind her ear and she shifted uncomfortably.

"Thanks"

Without another word, she scampered back off into the woods. She only had a few minutes to go and find a few more things for the exercise.

"I do," Siobhan said confidently. She watched Norah tuck away the berries, then scamper off into the woods. "You're welcome, dear," she said quietly. Her eyes followed the little redhead for a few moments, then she sighed and looked at her chronometre.

For a few moments she was alone with her thoughts. Perhaps she felt a measure of regret at how poorly things had ended between her and Dells. After all, they'd had good times at Omega and, to a degree, in the Rebel Alliance. Siobhan still believed she'd been mostly in the right, but nonetheless.

You've got a lovely daughter, Dells. Wherever you are, she thought to herself, then got up.

Back at their original point, the Cadets had returned with their edible or not so edible goods in some cases. Chels had each Cadet bring out what they had found. All of the Cadets had brought back something inedible, with the good Sergeant feeling the sudden need to lecture all of them on being more careful, unless they wanted death or horrible intestinal troubles. Beyond the drilling of edible products into their heads, Chels performed a lesson on water purification and map reading. Old fashioned map reading, nothing like trying to decipher star charts.

One never knows when an old fashioned topographical map will come in useful. Don't always rely on technology or others to do these things for you.

Tired, dirty and covered with woodland debris the cadets were allowed to jog back to the center of the expansive Camp Firemane. There would be evening meal in the mess hall and a reflection on their lesson for the day before having lights out.

Water purification and good old fashioned map reading were important skills for everyone. Firemane was dedicated to education and thus by the time the kids left the camp, they would know not to rely on fancy tech all the time. Well, hopefully!

In any case, shortly after the kids returned to Camp Firemane, the mess hall was soon filled with cadets eager for a meal. All in all, the hall resembled the typical cantina or mess you'd find in a military base. The food was actually quite decent, partly because Firemane employed many Eldorai and they had a very fast metabolism!

However, as the cadets would soon discover, assuming they could still focus on things beyond their food after such a hard day, they had a visitor! For Siobhan Kerrigan had decided to join them inside the hall. By the time she entered it, it was already filled. Presumably she'd be dramatically introduced. Amusingly, some of the kids might know her from 'The Misadventures of the Iron Knight and the Ever-Colonel Kerrigan', a morning cartoon series based on a mix of fictional and factual adventures Siobhan and HK had during the Bando Gora Campaign and beyond!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom