Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LFG Building a Shipping Empire/ Family Dynasty

So, as I'm sure many of you have noticed, I've been working on a lot of different space-related endeavors, from the RImward Trade League to the Imynusoph Run (which is still happening once figure out the rest of the mechanics), and so on. So, I figured it was time to break out one of the old ones, give it a facelift and reworking, and open it up to other people.

And that is, of course, Tillian Family Enterprises. That quirky, rebellious, mostly-semi-legitimate shipping, refit, and distillery company based out of Susefvi that I use when I make my own ships, but not much else. Which, to be honest, is sad and doesn't quite live up to the potential in what's essentially a frontier company. Back in the day, the Arcenau Trade Company was the biggest player-run corporation on the board and functioned basically as a major government on its own. That was a really cool concept and it was super cool to interact with, and a great counter-point to other Star Wars canon megacorporations like the Trade Federation/Commerce Guild/Corporate Sector that are definitely a little darker, more authoritarian.

Tillian Family Enterprises is not like that. It's more optimistic, more Light-aligned, with definite revolutionary and democratic leanings, often funding and aiding resistance movements and pro-freedom burgeoning governments. But it's also got some strong crime family vibes, especially when it comes to smuggling. Much of the early money that went into the company came from smuggling in the early post-Gulag Plague era. And they still do a bunch of "ethical smuggling" as a core component of their business, as long as they're outside Susefvi and allied government space.

Don't need to be part of the family to work for the company, but there are definite perks in the business. (And I think it'd be great to have the Tillian family be a Chaos dynasty written by more than just me.) At the moment, the CEO is NPC Ragnos Tillian, but if we get lots of people, I can change him into a PC, or just manage him more directly with Aeshi, Vera, or Roth.

What do we need?:
-Ship captains! Shipping, both legal and ethically illegal, is the main bread and butter of the family business. The family runs everything from bulk freighters (with some new ones coming in soon) to deeply personalized, custom, light and medium freighters mostly owned by the captain, but acting under the auspices and support of the broader company. Lots of possibilities for both smugglers and non-smugglers!
-Engineers! Refitting and personalizing ships is the other main half of the business, so if you like taking pre-existing ships and making them into very specialized ships capable of running any blockade, moving any cargo undetected, or locating uninhabited systems from thousands of light-years away, perfect! As the company expands into building more ships from scratch, that would be perfect.
-Non-company family members! Not every Tillian works for the family company, though all are given shares in their name as soon as they're born, so they own a portion of it and its proceeds. Many others work in other industries or the Susefvi Civil Service and Susefvi Defense Forces.
-Security/Troubleshooting! The galaxy is a dangerous, wild place, and sometimes that means there are issues that need handled, either within the company or external. The company has its own internal security service to protect their holdings on different planets and take care of problems if anything happens to one of their ships and crew. Hunting pirates, extraction from hostile territory, forcing a bad apple out of the company, preventing corporate espionage, and occasionally some espionage of their own are all in a week's work for the company troubleshooters.
-Lawyers! While some of the company's business is below-board and clandestine, the biggest percentage is fully legal and relies on good contracts to ensure clear expectations and responsibilities. Also, good lawyers makes sure anyone caught smuggling isn't in too much hot water.
-Whiskey distillers? Yes! A sudden and surprising side endeavor created by Aeshi Tillian on her trading outpost, Tillian Family Enterprises has branched out into several types of distillation, with a focus on quality vintages with unique flavors derived from each world's local resources.
-Socialites? Partiers? Family pariahs? Something I haven't thought of?

Family member? Ye or nay?

It's up to you! All depends on if you want to use an existing character as a normal employee or join the family through marriage or adoption. It's an absolutely massive family, with four generations currently active in the company, all of which are large families, so there's dozens of cousins and the like that I figure exist. So there's plenty of options for you, or even if you want to be part of a cadet branch or whatever. My three Tillian characters are all cousins, for example. Basically, all the high-level corporate positions are unofficially limited to family members, but the rest are open to any employees. However, there are perks to being family. As soon as someone is born into the Tillian family, the rest of the family contributes shares and corporate bonds to put into a trust to access when coming of age for whatever they want to use the money for-- buying a ship, getting a degree, investing more, setting up an independent branch of the company, etc. So if you wanted to start a brand new, young character, they'd start off with a decent amount of credits and resources to start. Plus there's the name recognition that can be leveraged in certain areas of the galaxy.

If you want to write a Tillian, they're generally Light-aligned, very much pro-freedom/anti-authoritarianism usually, and are much more of a benevolent kind of crime family. They don't run destructive drugs, don't engage in piracy, don't consort or conduct business with slavers, and don't support Imperial factions. Usually, but when someone goes for it, there's a reason that the company has troubleshooters. And sometimes it's literal. But they're also big into charity, philanthropy, investing in developing worlds without any expectation or desire for return. And secretly, they help fund the Underground, and even more secretive, they support the Jensaarai and have many family members who are secretly Jensaarai.

Why would I do this? This sounds crazy.
I mean, it is pretty crazy. You're not wrong. But could be a lot of fun and gives a community of people to write with and lots of plots/stories that can all interact and affect each other. If you have questions, post 'em here or PM me. The goal is to create a vibrant company-based group for RP and the various, complex aspects that are all involved with it. moar spacers basically

Can we marry one of your pre-existing characters?
no

More Details:

(Outdated) Company Submission- https://www.starwarsrp.net/threads/tillian-family-enterprises.80292/
Marketplace- https://www.starwarsrp.net/threads/tillian-family-enterprises.100553/post-1967752
Trading Post/Distillery- https://www.starwarsrp.net/threads/tillian-outer-rim-trading-outpost-distillery.96930/

Arryn Jhanson

A
The Nomad

Please excuse the sub-account it's under, it's a terrible look but she's mine 100%. I also have this thing that I was offered in payment for a job, however I don't quite know what to do with it. I'm much of a freighter, kinda guy.

Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian

Cool! We have a few things going on in and around the company businesses in two threads.

There’s some stuff going down in and around the company dockside in this one-

And then there’s this one in Aeshi’s trade post-

Jerrick Shado Arryn Jhanson
So y’all are more than hop in on any of these, whichever way feels most natural, or I can start up a new one.

Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian This sounds like a fantastic idea!

Not for this character of course. She is very not light aligned.

But I love factions like this, and also I like family and clan type stuff. I do have characters that could potentially work with them at the moment.

PART TIMEEMPLOYEE:
Mariah of House Marr Mariah of House Marr has been a smuggler in the past, or rather "Legally questionable transport of materials." And she'd an excellent technological mind so she'd be good for engineer work helping upgrade existing models or working on new technologies. Be it for ships or droids or other equipment. (She's good IC, that doesn't mean I'm good OOC. I actually hate going through the process on nice ships, they take a lot of work and I find it difficult to make things feel right like some people manage to do. I do it for almost every character I have anyway, sometimes more than once, it's just a process that requires a lot of work.)

Mariah is pretty light-leaning. She's not outright light side but neither does this group seem that way. Although she has her issues she's generally a good person. She avoids stuff like blackmail, pirating, and offensive mercenary work (she has done it, but rarely in person.) and she may work on defense (often using her droid White in her place). She's not really a fighter, she knows how to fight well, but just isn't built for it. That's why she has a droid that lets her basically take full control of it, letting her stand up to more dangerous situations.

COUSIN/BLOOD FAMILY:

Had this as an idea for a little. It would be potentially a little hard to implement which is why I avoid it unless I have solid ground to go off of. It's possible that I could use the family and the faction as solid ground to help me get the character on their feet. Just another cousin perhaps family wise:

The character would have at some point suffered an injury, a serious one, that resulted in cybernetics being implanted in the brain to help because the only person available didn't really know what else to do. Resulted in a rather unusual way of speaking. I am in between on doing something more like how HK models speak, and how some other droids speak. Examples here and here. And may possess facial expression issues. The reason I want to do this is basically to actually practice a character that speaks differently and let me focus a lot more on their thoughts and actions in an unusual manner. They'd fit with the alignment of the family and this character would probably be very protective of friends and family when they are faced with danger.

Salis Salis
Oh cool! It's been a while since I think I've seen many things like this going on, so glad to see other people are still enjoying it. Hopefully we can start bringing it back in popularity and prevalence. And that's a cool idea you have. Lots of interesting possibilities and the like. Definitely workable here in the company, especially with their history of supporting the old Galactic Alliance, Outer Rim Coalition/Outer Planets Alliance, and Underground. Lots of possibilities depending on the type of injury you had in mind, as well as just normal space-travel based mishaps.

Ar'tal Ktruok Ar'tal Ktruok
Brilliant! That sounds like a great fit. Be glad to have you aboard.

Cool, I could see the character trying to join a crew (while young) and ending up in a fight while supporting one of those groups. Underworld or Outer Rim Coalition might make the most sense as it seems more likely he'd meet someone who repairs with cybernetics as opposed to just attempting pure biological healing among them. Possibly he was on a ship that was involved in something smaller like getting people in and/or out, but it got shot down and crash landed elsewhere on the planet. He was badly injured in all the chaos and one of the locals was a cybernetics expert, but didn't have particularly high quality equipment available and saw this as the only way for him to actually be able to communicate again as it might have damaged that part of his brain.

EDIT:
Are all blood related Tillian's force sensitive cause I saw this in your bio: "FORCE SENSITIVE: She's a Tillian, so yes."

I can actually work with that as the original idea involved it. I imagine his force sensitivity has become a good deal more limited, or difficult, if this was the case.

Gotcha. I'll work on the character a bit more then decide if I want to use that or not. I don't have a lot of non-forcies cause they're often harder to manage for me. Might make him force sensitive, but not very strong. The sort that might have been dropped out of the Jedi order, but is more than just a regular. All depends on how well the character sheet goes.

And thanks! I'll start working on the character and hopefully I can bring him in soon. Question just comes if I should have the accident have happened recently (so most people would still be getting used to it.) Or if I should have it have happened when he was even younger (and make it a little more common knowledge). Figuring gonna start him out on forum as about 19. Young enough to still be grown easily, old enough to be solid to still be good at things.

Salis Salis

Force sensitivity is all up to you and what seems the most enjoyable for you. Can definitely work with anything you decide on without too much problem.

As for when the injury happens, it's all up to you and which choice sounds the most interesting. Cybernetics aren't uncommon in the company. Both of Aeshi's hands are cybernetic, for example. So if you want to tell a story about adapting to it or already have them included, I think they could both work without too much difficulty.

As for discord, I guess the Rimward Trade League? It's sort of my umbrella project for all my other little ones at the moment. With OPA gone, we don't have any really major faction stuff happening, so it's just minor faction and small group stuff. https://discordapp.com/channels/138893518906064897/646862851830579200/763897282113437768

The company uses a lot of second-hand ships that they retrofit and upgrade, so lots of Corellian Engineering Corporation ships, Gallofree Yards, and SoroSuub are the main ones, I think.

Alrighty, cool. This sounds like it's gonna be pretty interesting.

Ah Coreillia, naturally, the most smugglery ship company ever lol. Anyway that can work. May search for some open market ships, see if there's anything particularly good for him.

And I'll go ahead and join the discord.

The character probably will end up made today or tomorrow. Mostly I'm sorting out details, gonna look forward to using him.

Salis Salis

Yep! The smugglerest of smuggler ship companies! And yeah, open market ships are pretty good too. I know there's some good ones around that we kept linked and bookmarked in OPA, but I don't quite have quick access to it anymore.

And cool! That sounds great! Looking forward to meeting him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom