Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Bridgebuilding

770dfcb610aed03c5f8a0932ff618105.jpg

ABOVE THEED
NABOO

From the moment the senate shuttle had appeared over the twinkling blue and green gem of Naboo, Alicio's eyes hadn't left his window.

The senator from Alderaan had good memories of the planet. He and his wife had decided to go on honeymoon there, after all, taking over a small cabin on a lake, ringed with beautiful wildflowers. He'd been struck by the battered planet's beauty before, despite it's harsh recent history, but now he was nearly reverent of it- a stunning spring in bloom in comparison to Alderaan's autumnal chill. Hopefully, they would be sharing it's beauty with others that need it, soon enough.

Dressed more for his world than this one, Alicio adjusted the sleeves of his black ensemble, making some final preparations to his outfit before landing. He'd heard legends of Nabooian royal raiments, clothing the likes of which would put Alderaanian liveries to shame. So Alicio hadn't even tried to compete, instead dressing in a slightly more modest fashion.

"Thank you for the smooth ride, Captain" he told the pilot, receiving a mildly surprised nod in return as the ship dipped into Naboo's atmosphere, finally slowing over a bustling waterfall city; Theed. "Let the palace know we've arrived."

- Kalantha Kalantha -

7q4tVyN1k2wykrXFbG56IrvtdyDMUrtrFH5cvN4yyYSpAfV0BTG0oev_CPdl8sTFa7KdI18RiB3yClInMBfB4cKiiXx-3ViZ0YN9klFkKWG82n5HNkdIsUpC7adn2nsN2J82HTSQ

"The simplest gesture of kindness can fill a galaxy with hope."
- Bail Organa

fdsaf.png.png
Senator Organa was not among the few Alliance officials Inara had met before, but his words during the recent emergency meeting had truly resonated with her. She looked forward to meeting him in person, to discuss arrangements for Theed's refugee efforts for those displaced from the Caldera. It wasn't long ago that her own people lived like refugees in Naboo's capital city. She remembered vividly the strangeness of attending the Royal Academy, learning the ins and outs of galactic politics, all as if her home hadn't been ravaged by the Cataclysm.

In a way, she felt a strange catharsis in playing host to those in need. Naboo was healing, but it had done so largely alone. This new threat faced by the galaxy gave them the opportunity to be a beacon of hope once more.

"Your majesty," an advisor said, quietly breaking Inara's train of thought. The girl looked to him curiously.

"Senator Organa has just arrived. Shall I send him in?"

"Yes, please," she said.

"We've much to discuss, and I look forward to seeing him as soon as he's settled."
Untitled-design-6.png

Last edited:

It wasn't long before Alicio strode through the throne room's doorway, a datapad tucked securely under his arm. His retinue, Alderaanian soldiers and senate aids, lingered at the door, taking note of the defenses and political climate of the room, respectively. The senator didn't feel their need to hesitate, walking towards the open floor with purpose.

In recent weeks, Alicio had thrown himself into multiple dangerous positions, all for the sake of making the galaxy a safer, better place for her citizens. It was an appreciated change of pace, to walk into a room where he was wanted. Better yet, where they were all working towards the same goals.

A rarity, for a senator.

The Count halted a respectable distance from Queen Berenko, searching her expression with overcast-grey eyes, before offering a bow at the hip. "Your Majesty," he said, returning from his practiced bow with soft features. "Thank you for inviting me to your world. I've been here before, but... it never ceases to wow me." Some of his practiced veneer rubbed away, revealing the shine of honesty to his words. Naboo didn't mean as much to him as it did the Queen, he was sure, but it did hold a special place in his heart.

"Alicio. I'm here to help, however I can."

- Kalantha Kalantha -

7q4tVyN1k2wykrXFbG56IrvtdyDMUrtrFH5cvN4yyYSpAfV0BTG0oev_CPdl8sTFa7KdI18RiB3yClInMBfB4cKiiXx-3ViZ0YN9klFkKWG82n5HNkdIsUpC7adn2nsN2J82HTSQ

- Bail Organa

fdsaf.png.png
Kalantha returned Alicio's bow with a deep nod, trying to maintain her royal decorum without cracking a subtle smile. Most politicians in the Mid-Rim preferred to meet with her via hologram, if at all. This was a refreshing change of pace, and her eagerness would not go unnoticed. Already, the Count had impressed her. She tucked that away, though, beneath the courtly makeup, and proceeded with their business.

"The Naboo are happy to receive such an esteemed senator. I hope your travels were pleasant."

She looked him over carefully, immediately noting his choice of more subtle finery. Simple, but still sharp. Something Inara missed from the days before the crown. Then, she spotted his datapad.

"It is a shame that the Alliance must face prospects of war so soon," she began, her condolences quite genuine. Naboo itself had only just begun to know peace, and the threat of it being ripped from their hands was a fear felt by both nations.

She knew when it came to matters of the Sith, there was often little to be done to prevent their brutality. Perhaps today they could at least mitigate the damage when the time comes. From her understanding, Alicio Organa was a renowned philanthropist whose expertise lay in the founding of refugee cities.

Kalantha was eager to learn how Naboo could help with such preparations... and, of course, what protection they may earn by doing so.

- Alicio Organa Alicio Organa
Untitled-design-6.png

Last edited:

Alicio felt his lip curl up into an ironic half-smile as the Queen called him esteemed. Granted, he was one of the more well-regarded senators, people listened when he spoke at least, but it certainly didn't feel like it sometimes.

He studied Kalantha as she studied him, as if he was looking for something just out of sight. Some unspoken suspicion, just under the surface of his pleasant demeanor. He could ignore it for a few moments longer, as their small talk circled ever closer to the matter at hand, like water around a drain.

"It is a shame that the Alliance must face prospects of war so soon."

The Count folded his arms behind his back, grasping the datapad behind him with hints of pain in his eyes. "I welcome it." His lip twisted, as an obvious second meaning surfaced. "The only way we could have achieved lasting peace was for the Alliance to be complacent. As long as we fight, I can rest easy, knowing we haven't turned a blind eye to the rest of the galaxy."

A hardening of Alicio's face denoted a change of topic. No more circling, it was time to dive down the drain.

"I expect there to be considerable strain on the Galactic Alliance's relief systems. The Supreme Chancellor seemed adamant they would hold in her address to the Senate, but... I'm not as confident as she is." He frowned, a severe look on his face. "I realize that Naboo is not a member world of the Alliance, but creating a refugee settlement here could help alleviate the sudden pressure."

"But I have to ask why. Why offer to help at all? Why put the additional strain on your economy, tying yourself directly to an Alliance you are not obligated to assist, for people halfway across the galaxy?"
Alicio's expression was wary. He'd been burnt once before, and would not make the same mistakes again.

- Kalantha Kalantha -

- Bail Organa

fdsaf.png.png
The Queen chanced a rare smirk, something that came around about as often as a politician who got straight to the point. Kalantha appreciated his forwardness. And despite the sharp side-eye from her Minister of Foreign Affairs, she afforded Alicio the same openness.

I wont try to hide our intentions behind pleasantries, Senator. Our economic stability is still new, and our people have only just begun to live normal lives again. But that all can change on a dime, should the Trade League fail to protect us from the western front...

She chewed her next words carefully before putting them in the open.

…or should this new vassal state seek to expand to the Mid-Rim.

If the Alderaanian hadn’t already picked up on her motives, she would go a step farther and plainly lay out Naboo’s intentions.

I understand that there is a certain layer of Alliance protection that would follow a refugee camp on our world. One that would make greedy pirates and Sith think twice about attacking us while we recover from the Cataclysm.

Your Highness, I must-

Enough, Minister,” the Queen spat. This was clearly not the first time her outspokenness had clashed against the career politician’s preference for formality. Her chamber was used to subtle delegations, but Inara preferred to rule with transparent brevity.

In exchange for land and resources for your refugees, the people of Naboo ask for the Alliance’s support and protection during these uncertain times. Even if only to complement our own security forces.

Untitled-design-6.png

At least she was honest.

Alicio's face became sphinx-like as he listened to the Queen speak, his expression entirely inscrutable. Behind steel eyes, he was pondering the conundrum. As she'd surmised, he'd picked up on her meaning almost immediately- a joint effort with Alliance-sponsored refugees would mean the Alliance is obligated to defend the planet, making the GA Naboo's protectorate in all but name.

The Count folded his hands behind his back, his stare narrowed. A pregnant pause followed the ruler of Naboo's speech. "I... understand," he said thoughtfully. "But if this new enemy becomes powerful enough to break the Coalition, no supplementary force we'd be able to send could halt them." He didn't envy Queen Berenko's position, caught between two powers, and without the support of either, with an irreversible storm on the horizon. "Knowing the Sith, they may even consider our involvement a challenge."

"So, instead of just offering to bolster your forces, perhaps we should explore an official defense pact."
Alicio canted his head to the side, examining the Queen's reaction. The move would be more drastic, and would require far more from the Nabooians, but it was the only way Alicio could see the GA's involvement to be anything more than token.

- Kalantha Kalantha -

- Bail Organa

fdsaf.png.png
"Naboo is a target for the Sith already, Senator," she said plainly. "We are beyond your borders, and far from the Trade League as well. The Trade Federation's collapse has made us appear weak to the rest of the Mid-Rim; I do not doubt for a moment that our enemies in the Outer Rim know of our fragility. If not the Sith, then it will be pirates."

The queen looked to Alicio with a hardened gaze that clashed against her youth. She was born for these tough conversations, groomed her entire life to play this game. She couldn't read the senator's disposition through his steely gaze, but she knew enough about the Alliance's politics to understand she was nearer to her goal than farther. She straightened her spine, showing through body language that she was intrigued by the offer.

She only needed to know what it would cost Naboo.

"What are you terms, Senator Organa?" the Queen asked tentatively.

Untitled-design-6.png

She wasn't wrong.

Alicio hadn't been aware of the planet's political fragility when he'd decided on the location for his honeymoon. From an outside perspective, the planet seemed insulated by larger powers. Protected, in an odd way, from powers without. But that wasn't the whole story, was it? There would always be greedy people, to take advantage of others where they saw advantage to be taken.

Pirates, Sith, Alliance officials...

"What are you terms, Senator Organa?"

"That's the tricky part," Alicio conceded, absently chewing his lip in thought. "I don't have any."

"I'm only a senator. I cannot write the terms without taking it to the Senate first, or the Chancellor herself."
The Alderaanian Count's mouth pulled into a thin-lipped smile. "The former would be more difficult, there are elements of the Federal Assembly that are... more than happy to disregard the lives of those outside our borders." It was obvious from his tone, if not his face, that even saying the words brought a bad taste to his mouth.

"Either way, you'll have to go to them with the proposal. Now, if I were to give some advice, I might say that Naboo would be an excellent staging ground into the southwestern front, were the Alliance to go on the offensive against the Sith." His eyes found hers.

"Beyond that... at the risk of sounding blunt... what does Naboo have to spare?"

- Kalantha Kalantha -

- Bail Organa

fdsaf.png.png
The Queen nursed a small smirk, pleased that her words found some kind of purchase; She would have to put herself before the Chancellor, even the entire Senate if it came to it, but there was a chance. It was a rare, luxurious thing these days. She met Alicio’s eyes with sharpness.

Naboo offers two things the Alliance seems to need the most: Land and hope.

This time, she did grin.

And if that were not suitable, Naboo boasts a new line of defensive ships designed by our engineers that would be of excellent use to the Alliance - in addition to the medical supplies and transports we promised already during your last Senate hearing, of course.

Kalantha leaned forward, eyeing the senator carefully.

I’d very much like to discuss this further with the Chancellor, Senator Organa. But I greatly appreciate your willingness to include Naboo in the Alliance’s sphere of civility and justice. I hope it will soon extend fully to us, and from us to you as well.

Untitled-design-6.png

Last edited:

"The latter of which seems to be in short supply, these days," he returned, his own smile a bit sadder than the queen's. Hope was a powerful word in the history of House Organa. It was their mission. Their duty. Their spark to shield, to fan into a flame. And it was there, if one knew where to look.

Naboo's offerings were plentiful, and they were in a strategically advantageous position. The Chancellor would almost certainly agree to her term, and Alicio guessed that, perhaps even the whole Senate might be swayed with the promise of an ally, depending on how true what the royal said actually was. "I don't want an ounce of your appreciation until something's been done to help you, Your Majesty," he countered, his grin finally sharpening to something a little more playful. "I'll see what I can do for a meeting with Chancellor Denko-Durren. Though she's been... rather busy, with recent events, as you can imagine. If you can't get a meeting, I can bring it up to the Senate, perhaps if we can open negotiations with the Rim."

"In the meantime, I'll start sending supplies to your city-builders immediately."
Alicio nodded to her. "I can't promise that all of the Galactic Alliance will come to your aid yet, but if you take in our refugees, I can promise Alderaan will."

- Kalantha Kalantha -

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom