Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking the Ice (Rogue Squadron & AIE members)

D'Qar Base
Flight Officer Rutar Nok's introduction to Rogue Squadron and the alliance in Exile.
The Starbird Cantina, free round on the new guy

A guttural laugh bellowed from within the open and recently landed U-wing. Alliance crew and pilots exit the ship, some grasping what looked like to be emergency waste bags held close to their mouths. One of the departing passengers dropped to his knees and kissed the tarmac as if the ground was a long lost love. The Source of the laughter exited the ship, a stocky Klatooinian with dark brown skin, thick eyebrows and a jowled canine muzzle that gaped with his entertained bellows. "Come now you koupihoziua! You all survived!" the deep gruff voice was rich with the klatooine accent mixed with the huttese tongue. Many that had left the U-wing had either given the fighter pilot an explicitly rude hand gesture or they had out right answered back with mixed cussed words and threats.

"Come now, Don't be that way!" Rutar giggled his plea as he made his way onto the landing pad of D'qar base. He stopped in his tracks and turned on his heels gripping the shoulder of the flight engineer that was following behind him. "Pay up! Half of them got sick and i think that one still kissing the ground has found religion"

The weasel faced human hissed as his hands dug deep into his jumpsuit's pocket "You are nothing but a filthy mutt faced pirate!" He growled handing the owed credits over to Rutar. "Should of known that a pilot called Corn-Dog would of been suicidal and crazy".

The man shoved off but Rutar was going to have the last word "Your mistake was gambling with a Klatooinian....... we have nothing to lose". He didn't take the engineers soured insults to heart. He new the man was bent from losing a bet let alone had just been on a flight from hell with Rutar at the helm. He just laughed and chuckled it off and jingled his winnings while he made his way to the luggage cart. With one hand he gripped his military duffel bag and tossed it over his shoulder before making way to the main terminal of the base.

Didn't take long for Rutar to get sorted out, he dropped off his duffel back to the assigned quarters and made his way to the local Cantina that was named the Starbird. He knew the watering hole be the best place to break the ice with his new squadron. Rutar was fresh from the alliance academy, one of the last few training squadrons that had graduated before Whole of the Alliance tore apart. Now more than ever those with aptitude in the cockpit were in great demand and through out training Rutar had proven he was above average in his abilities to fly. Enough that he had been transferred to Rogue Squadron. Certainly far from slaving away in the dust-corn fields in servitude of the hutts.

The new man on the block entered the bar like a pup's first day in school. Timid he was not, but there was still a pang of nervousness deep in his stomach. He wore the beige work uniform with the dark brown bomber jacket with the freshly sewn Rogue Squadron Patch upon it. He new he got some looks from the patrons, folk eyeing him up..... assessing and judging. Was nerve racking, but he was a fighter pilot with nerves of steel. He braved the gawkers with a muzzled grin and he made way confidently towards a wooden stand that held a ancient nodical bell. He took in a deep breath and gripped the rope that dangled from inside the bell itself "Time to make some friend!' With that he let off three loud rings that echoed through out the cantina. Ancient navy tradition, the one who rings the bell buys the entire room the next round.

Everyone cheered and clapped with joy. Why wouldn't they, free drinks was always worth celebrating. Rutar walked up to the bar "Gonna need a tab open, the name Flight Officer Rutar Nok!" And there he stood, greeting those that came to drinks he had bought for them. It was the best way to make friends in a military setting. Free booze wins the icebreaker any day.

Roth Tillian

R
Roth looked up as the new pilot rang the bell. Bold of him, but well planned. It worked well to introduce one’s self that way. Everyone liked a free drink. After a moment, Roth stood up, jacket flapping open, but enough to show the Wing Commander insignia on it’s collar. Draining the whiskey, he strode over to the Klatooinian and held out his hand.

“Well done, Nok,” Roth said. A grin spread across his face as he caught a glimpse of the patches. “Rogues, eh? Best of luck there. Wing Commander Roth Tillian. Wild Knights. You’re squadron’s only better and main rival.”

He gestured to the bartender for another whiskey and waited for it to be filled. “Where you from?”

Another job well done. Jax's preference was usually inside his cockpit where interactions with other individuals were kept under a professional relationship but he tried to always join in on the celebration whenever there was an actual call for one and being a rogue those came by more frequently than expected. A wave of nostalgia hits him like a barrage of laser fire at the sudden call. The new recruit already harbored a personality that while it did not completely mirror his own, it felt a little too familiar. Only a year ago he had been the rookie and while he had been vocal about it then, the tables had now turned and he felt old which he felt composed about.

All around he was known as the silent type and he preferred it that way. On circumstances such as today he would usually join in on all the fun but for the most part he just kept his distance, however one could not deny that the pilot did like his liquor so any round of free drinks was always something he was in the mood for so he decided to cheer with the already rowdy crowd who was getting far to enthusiastic about the whole situation.

A lot had changed in the past few weeks. Even Tiburon Squadron had been retasked. More towards Coren Starchaser’s personal Roving Line and then again made of a new generation of pilots. And pilots who had an instinctive knowledge. Others got promoted and moved around to reinforce the core squadrons. Tiburons moved to a flight or so of pilots, an honor guard and strike team. But as a result, the Sullustan Cuan Kunn got sent to Rogue Squadron with a glowing recommendation from the general.

Stepping into the Starbird Cantina, Kunn looked around. Since he entered the line squadrons, he’d been spending more time around the main locations of the Alliance, and that was being very good for him.

“Flaps” as he was being called, stepped into the lounge and made his way to the bar. Ordering a drink, he nodded, looking around, the other Rogues were here, but he needed a bit more liquid courage. Just to even mess around with them.

[member="Jax Rhane"][member="Roth Tillian"]
[member="Rutar Nok"]

D'Qar Base
Starbird Cantina
[member="Rutar Nok"] [member="Roth Tillian"] [member="Jax Rhane"] [member="Cuan Kunn"] [member="Rayf Vigil"] [member="Dracken Pryce"] + other AiEs
O7IzWjD.png
Rogue Squadron had not participated at the Battle of Skor II defending the Squibs homeworld against the First Order's invasion of the planet. No, they had been held in reserve along with the Outback Patrol Groups in case the Imperials hit on a second front deeper within the Outer Rim Coalition territory. That worst case scenario, thank the Force, didn't occur. It didn't mean though that the Alliance-in-Exile's elite pilots got to relax. There was always something to do for the now rebel faction be it top secret missions to scut work.

As the Executive Officer, it was Ava Cartwright's job to see to the daily business of the squadron. "Goldilocks" or Goldie for short, had to dot I's and cross T's, make sure their birds were in a healthy state and qualified fighter jockeys to fill them. The Ralltiiri had been doing this while Rogue Leader healed up from his crash landing during the skirmish in the Dagobah system with the First Order leading up to the invasion.

She had luck in grabbing two more pilots to fill in Rogue's flight roster. The Sullustan had come from Jedi General Starchaser's Tiburons. The other, a Klatooinian, had come highly recommended from within the regular Starfighter Corps. Time would only tell how they all jelled, but Ava had a good feeling about this. Okay, hope anyway. The Alliance rebels needed all they could get.

Entering the cantina, the golden blonde was dressed in her usual pilot attire with a data pad grasped in her hand instead of a helmet. Steel blue eyes gave the buzzing room a glance over, then Goldie walked in giving a respectful nod to the Wild Knight's Leader, Rogue Six, and Two, who seemed a bit shy at the moment. Well, that would change soon enough as "Flaps" spent time with them.

The one though at the bar buying drinks already could not be mistaken... It had to be the one called "Corn-dog."

"Hello... You must be Flight Officer Nok," Ava smiled at the rather beefy alien. The blonde was nearly as tall as the solid looking male, but definitely not as wide. She moved the data pad over to her left hand, then outstretched the right for a shake.

"I'm Lieutenant Commander Cartwright. Glad to have you aboard with us. As the XO of Rogue Squadron, I'll be getting you all tucked in, but that can wait... Don't mind if I do," she grinned knowingly, pleased at the newbie's gesture of buying the first round, then looked over to the bartender behind the counter.

"Whiskey neat, if you would please," Ava ordered, then turned her golden head back to Rutar.

"So why don't you share with us a little bit about yourself... Like how you got the callsign Corn-dog, hmm?"

That question was always a good ice breaker.

Rutar gripped the wing commander's hand in a firm farmboy's manly handshake " Thank you Sir! I am from Klatooine, born and raised!" He said with pride. There was pride to be had from being a Klatooinian, though they were a conquered species that were under the Hutt's thrall. Historians have believed that the Klatooinians were one of the oldest sentient creatures in the galaxy.

That was when the gorgeous blonde female arrived for her share of the free liquid bounty. Was a good thing that Rutar could read rank and sense an air of authority or he would of made a complete ass of himself if he had made a pass at his XO. When she introduced herself the fresh recruit almost had the sense to come to attention, but they were in a cantina, a no salute zone and formalities were a no no. The quick rigidness faded when she inquired about his unique call sign and that brought a smile to the mutt's face.

"Aye, the story goes that I was flying to close to the ground over some farmer's field. My jet-wash was ripping up the corn and got me a good tongue lashing where from there on I had been called Corn-Dog" He paused seeing if that story stuck, but he could not help himself ".......Or that is how i wished it went. I am a Klatooinian dust-corn farmer. Family been farming corn for generations. Didn't take long for the lads at the academy to put two and two together..." He pointed at his face, over emphasizing the remarkable resemblance his species had to the domestic dog. "And bam, i was Corn-dog like my first week in" He took a quick swig of his corellian spiced ale to wash the story down.

[member="Ava Cartwright"] [member="Cuan Kunn"] [member="Jax Rhane"] [member="Roth Tillian"]

While [member="Rutar Nok"] was giving the details of how he got his unique callsign, the bartender had placed the ordered glass of whiskey on the counter for her. Ava nodded a thanks to the man and fingered the drink, but held off downing it just yet.

"Well usually a good callsign comes from the heart. Sounds like yours fits you perfect then. Mine is Goldilocks or Goldie for short... I think you can figure that one out," the blonde chuckled, then threw back the dark amber liquid, relishing in the comfort of the familiar burn and warmth the spirit gave off.

"Have you been introduced yet to the rest of the fighter jockeys here?" she asked, placing the glass down on the counter, then raised a single finger and made a circle in the air with it to the barkeep letting him know to bring another round for the group.

Turning to face the others, Ava motioned for the newest Rogue to followed her over to where they were sitting.

"Commander [member="Roth Tillian"], it's good to see you again. Mind if we join you?" she inquired politely, then pulled out a chair and sat down.

"Lieutenants [member="Jax Rhane"] and [member="Cuan Kunn"] there are fellow Rogues... be it the quiet ones," Goldie winked at the two, then continued her spiel.

"Our CO is Commander [member="Rayf Vigil"]. He should be around a little later to introduce himself. When we're not based out of here or on a special mission, the squadron is usually assigned to the ANS Starchild, a Colony-class Battlecruiser commanded by Commodore [member="Dracken Pryce"] as part of the Outback Patrol Group. Currently we're flying the high-end TR-20 X-wings, but I'm not sure how much longer they'll last us. Maintaining them is getting pretty difficult. Got any questions for me at this juncture, Nok?'

Roth Tillian

R
[member="Jax Rhane"] [member="Ava Cartwright"] [member="Rutar Nok"] [member="Cuan Kunn"] [member="Jax Rhane"]

“Excellent!” Roth replied as the new pilot told some of his story. “Good to have you.” He carried his whiskey back to his table and then nodded as Ava asked to join. “Be my guest. Always good to chat with other squadrons.”

Roth leaned back in the seat and rolled his neck to get out some of the stiffness. A few of the Wild Knights would be wandering in eventually, and Roth pulled over another table to make room for them all. It wasn’t often that both the Knights and the Rogues could be found on D’Qar base.

“When more of squadron arrives, I can introduce them,” Roth told Rutar. “But this is probably the only time you’ll see all of us at HQ.”

Cuan wasn’t the type who was uncomfortable around people mostly. He was a Tiburon, a squadron selected by Coren Starchaser. But he was a pilot first and foremost, and the squadron, with the downsizing that was evident in the Alliance’s current state. Putting the pilots with the pilots, and moving more of the pilot-SpecOps types together just made sense for strike missions. Cuan was cool with that, and the fact that Rogue Squadron, the legend of a group they were, considered him, and then even accepted him? That was some craziness for him.

Grabbing a drink, he turned and heard the XO starting to talk to one of the new pilots. Making his way over, Cuan was knowing that it was mostly Rogues and a few other pilots here. “Corn-dog huh? They give me flaps… Derivative, sure, but…”

The Sullustan was a pro at putting a foot in his mouth, but he gave the best grin his species could as he sat down.

[member="Roth Tillian"]
[member="Ava Cartwright"]
[member="Rutar Nok"]
[member="Jax Rhane"]

[member="Ava Cartwright"], [member="Cuan Kunn"], [member="Roth Tillian"], [member="Rutar Nok"]

"I'm not quiet. I just tend to keep my mouth shut until there's a calling." Jax said responding to Ava's commentary with a casual smug to match. She wasn't wrong though, for a brief moment it felt like he was firing back with his own defense mechanism but he quickly relaxed that she meant no ill will towards it. Lieutenant Cartwright was not if anything a spark that the rogues could look forward to whenever it was in the thick of battle or to just simply have a conversation over a few drinks. The truth was that he hadn't found the desire to be social with anyone since he lost his brother... Kerk had been the loudmouth. Jax always had a certain shyness when it came to people and it wasn't until they both applied for the starfighter corps a couple of years back that he started to gain some confidence because with Kerk by his side, the two were the unstoppable 'Rhane Brothers'. When Kerk died he unintentionally decided to go back into his shell but in the thick of fire he was like a raging storm yearning to make the First Order pay for the endless charade of tyranny across the galaxy.

Making his way over with his drink, Jax took a spot between Ava and Cuan as he began to pour out his story to the 'rookie'. "They call me Skyhawk, it was actually my brother's callsign but I took it on after his passing."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom