Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Beyond Price | Private

skin, bone, and arrogance

natasi_spacer.png

A strange mixture of emotions rolled over Natasi like waves over the bow of a ship as it pushed through rough northern waters.

Aside from affection, there was gratitude for the grace that Dyrn extended to her and shame that any grace was required. Dyrn's reaction was not unexpected, but some part of her still wondered -- if she had been truthful from the beginning, would they be here today, in a cozy cottage contemplating the next steps of their relationship? And if not, whether he felt it or not, she would have caught him with a lie. But now the cards were on the table, and Dyrn was an adult. He could choose for himself.

Natasi didn't need the Force to tell her that there was no evasion within him. He radiated good nature and sincerity, and for as many years as Natasi had spent in the upper echelons of this imperial government or that one, she recognized duplicity in its absence as much as in its presence. Her hand lingered on his chest for a few moments, her dark eyes scouring his wondrously-colored ones. When his hand moved to her cheek, it was all she could do not to lean into it, particularly after he declared himself.

"Oh Dyrn," she murmured, her voice part loving acknowledgment and part admonition -- as if, after all their discussion, he didn't know what he was taking on by finally speaking the words out loud. Of course, Natasi had known for some time, and she suspected that he did as well. Whether it was the difference in their ranks or her own Galidraani custom that had prevented them from exchanging the words before, any obstacles had by now been swept away.

"I love you," she whispered and, after a moment, she leaned forward and planted a brief kiss on his lips before straightening and smoothing her blouse of non-existent wrinkles.

Natasi could have proposed to him in that very moment, but there was still the very real question of compatibility. Whether they could live together -- not as sovereign and sworn bodyguard, but as partners and lovers -- was a matter yet unresolved. But that was only a matter of time, now. She stood and delved into her pocket for a kerchief, turning towards the window to discretely dab at the corner of her eyes with the cloth. "What a relief," she said with a half-smile over her shoulder at him. "What should we do for the afternoon? I've finished the dispatches for now, so we've got until dinner. Perhaps there's a hike or something, if you think we're up to it."

She paused and then added, with the ghost of a smile on her lips: "Nothing too strenuous, of course."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

There was a deep comfort in the moment.

When Natasi said she loved him, Dyrn inhaled and took a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding. Natasi leaned in and kissed him, Dyrn returned the affection, then remained where he was while she straightened her blouse. There he sat, quietly, as his beloved stood and walked over to look toward the window; he noticed the kerchief, but didn't draw attention to it, and instead stood up himself and smiled at Natasi.

Certainly a relief.

Dyrn's sense of reassurance was at an all time high. Deep down he had trusted that Natasi felt the same as he, but to hear it reciprocated and expressed in return was wholly exuberant. There had been a relationship threshold passed through, both were on the same proverbial page, and their love didn't have to be kept secret or small anymore. Not between them, at least. And that meant a lot, it felt like a deeper honesty and relationship could begin, because now they were undeniably in love with those three words. Or maybe Dyrn was overthinking it.

Either way, he could only watch Natasi, enamored with her, and listened.

"I had been wondering about the dispatches," Dyrn said with a chuckle, as he walked over to join Natasi and began to massage the back of her neck with one hand. "Nothing too serious, I take it? And we can do a hike if you would like, certainly, I can look into some areas now."

Dyrn lowered his hand from Natasi's neck and produced his small PDA and began to search the local information for some options. It also wouldn't take Dyrn long to change; just a switch out of pants to shorts, shirt to tank top, and his casual shoes. So, the Keshian scrolled and had some nearby trails - though they didn't elevate too much, but were said to offer some nice views and even a rainforest or two. While Dyrn had looked, he had assumed Natasi had gone to change, so he waited til her return and raised his eyebrows with a smile:

"I have several options here. Would you like to pick while I change quickly?" Dyrn asked, as he offered the PDA, before he stepped into the room and half-closed the door. He began to remove the shirt, before he crouched and opened his suitcase, finding what he needed, and also caught sight of a flat package about the size of his palm hidden beneath socks. "Oh, that reminds me, I have something for you."

A few moments later, Dyrn emerged in attire far more suited to a hike. Black shorts, a navy tank top, and his walking shoes. He also had that flat package in his hand, as he lifted it up. He grinned, quite proud of himself, and offered it to Natasi as he walked over to her. It was a Gliz album, one that Dyrn knew Natasi didn't have in her collection, and one which he had found especially:

"I saw it the day before we departed and I forgot it had been buried in my case until just now," He said, knowing it wasn't much, but it was a genre of music Natasi adored. "It's one you don't have. Track five is meant to be particularly swingin'... or so I'm told.

"Well. Are we ready?"

Last edited:

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi reviewed the options provided on Dyrn's datapad, eventually settling on the hike up to a small and secluded glade that was marked safe for swimming. Since it was still on the property of the cottage they had rented, it should be empty for their use. When Dyrn returned, she offered him the datapad. "Maybe if it's still warm we can take a dip. I haven't been swimming in ages." She excused herself to change, putting a conservative one-piece bathing costume under her hiking clothes (consisting of dark trousers and a long-sleeve but lightweight shirt. Natasi paused to survey the bedroom.

Their first taste of domesticity, really. Not exactly how things would be, because Natasi would normally travel with a her lady's maid who would handle her clothing and jewelry, and if Dyrn was so inclined she would employ a valet for him for a similar purpose. She took her clothing - not dirty after such a brief wearing, and folded the pants carefully into the drawer, then hung the blouse up in the wardrobe. As she tidied up after herself, she considered whether Dyrn would ever consider the use of a valet or other domestic staff. Dyrn didn't grow up with them, so having people always around, pawing through his possessions (even with the best of intentions) might make him uncomfortable.

Of course, there were other types of people who were not used to staff who reacted quite differently to suddenly having those resources. Sometimes the Calavar new money set viewed staff as a status symbol, crowding their dinner parties with comical amounts of footmen and butlers and underbutlers. She couldn't picture Dyrn taking that tack. He wasn't after status, nor would he shy away from doing tasks on his own. Natasi suspected that if he did acquiesce to employing staff, it would be in acquiescence to Natasi's own views and preferences.

She took one last look around the room and wondered whether Dyrn had a preferred side of the bed to sleep on. One more mystery of life to be solved that day.

Once changed, she sat on the sofa in the living room and put on her shoes.

With a puzzled half-smile, she took the packet that Dyrn offered. She opened the packet as he described it and smiled broadly. "Oh," Natasi said with a grin. "Lovely! Thank you, that's very kind. We'll have to put it on during dinner. I think I saw a player somewhere... " She looked around, spotting it on the bookshelf near the entry to the kitchen. She placed the music on the shelf near it and then tied her hair back in a simple ponytail. "I think I'm ready."

Natasi waited for Dyrn to do his security checks and they left together, heading along a path into the wooded environs around the cabin. "It's a beautiful area," she told Dyrn as they strolled. The hike didn't begin very challenging, but soon the path approached an ascent. It looked like the incline looked around a steep hill, chiseled into the sides. Not terribly difficult, but no walk in the park either. The path eventually became one of actual hiking rather than walking -- clambering over rocks and little ditches, rivulets of streams and fallen logs. "This reminds me of a walk in Sterandel, a neighboring Dukedom. My mother was dear friends with the Duchess -- Auntie Charlie to my brother and I -- so we were in and out of each other's houses and lands all the time. Of course I think the Reeds have sold up by now. After the Duke's death and with all the noises the New Imperials are making..." She repressed a shudder that had nothing to do with the weather, which was rather pleasant now.

After a moment, she said: "You must stop me when I begin yammering on about the old days," Natasi said in a tone that was only half-joking. "I can't imagine how bored you must find hearing about my every acquaintance and this castle and that garden."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

"A swim could be nice, certainly," Dyrn said as he gathered some water bottles and placed them on the table near the sofa. He smiled as Natasi was pleasantly surprised by the album, glad he had been able to get his hands on the item. It might not have been much, but Dyrn liked to get little things every so often, just to bring a smile to Natasi. "And that sorts out dinner music, hah. I'm sure there was a player around here, yes... ah, you've got it."

When both were ready, Dyrn nodded and collected the water bottles. He attached them to clips on his belt - which wasn't exactly fashionable, but was very functional - and also clipped his retracted staff to the base of his back, on the same belt. While the Keshian didn't expect trouble, he also didn't want to tempt it, so being prepared was his decision.

A quick check of the surrounding area, with the use of his eyesight that could change visual spectrum, and the pair were away. The late day was agreeable, the sun wasn't too hot or offensive, and there was a nice low wind. "It really is," Dyrn said as he glanced around. He nodded absently. "The scent of flowers takes a little getting used to, yet visually it is very beautiful." And soon, the hiking trail started simply, then began to increase in difficulty with an ascent and carved footholds in the steep hill edge.

A nice trail, Dyrn thought to himself, as he looked over the side of the hill to the ground below. Starting to get some height, too.

It was evident that the hiking part was accurate, as Dyrn forged ahead with long strides, and offered his hand to Natasi on the less stable portions of path; and it wasn't that he didn't think she could do it, but rather just to be considerate... and maybe a little chivalrous. Across rocks, hops over streams, and even logs, they continued upward. Along the way, Natasi began to speak about a similar walk in Sterandel, it sounded lovely and seemed to hold fond memories. Until the mention of the New Imperials, which brought a twist to Dyrn's lip, as he considered all that political and territorial movement. It didn't make people's lives easier, at any rate, let alone the Fortans who had deeds and titles to lands under seeming continual fluctuation of Governments...

"Not at all, I quite enjoy hearing about your life and friends and acquaintances. I think it's important to know, especially if I ever get... quizzed... by a distant family contact, and I want to know, also." Dyrn pushed a small rock to one side, as it clattered down the hill, to free the foot space. "I think... the closest I could compare to, would be marching drills on Seoul Five," Dyrn said after a moment of consideration. He glanced back to Natasi, a wry smile on his face. "Instructors would make us walk for miles, forced marches, with full equipment and weaponry. Not as fun as Sterandel, I'm sure, but oddly enjoyable as a trainee that wanted to excel." Dyrn chuckled as he continued walking. "Admittedly, it has been a long time since one of those."

Before long, the pair had about crested the hill. The trees were thicker, but the hiking trail seemed cared for, with little overhang or obstruction. The frequency of streams, of running water, had increased. That made some of the rocks slick, but nothing they couldn't handle, being budding outdoors people. Although, there did seem something on the wind...

"Oh..." Dyrn craned his neck, as he listened. "I think I hear water. Do you hear it?"

Dyrn took the last few dozen meters in a number of strides, then stepped onto the top of the hill itself. Ahead, he saw a pool of water, in the very center of the top of the rise, like a crater had been filled. Beyond that, the small amount of trees created something of a private canopy, which was good, and small streams from water overflow trickled off between rocks - and went down the outer side of the hill, across the trail at points, as the pair had seen ascending.

Dyrn let out a whistle, as he pulled the water bottles free, and passed one to Natasi. The other he held up to his mouth and took several gulps.

"Amazing, possibly even better than the datapad information indicated?" Dyrn put his bottle back on the clip, then did the same once Natasi was finished with her own. "This looks naturally formed," With some careful steps, Dyrn got to the edge of the water - it looked deep - and crouched, before he placed a hand into the coolness. "And is quite a nice temperature, too..."

To one side, there was a tall overhanging rock. It looked like a jumping point, if Dyrn had ever seen one. He smiled, then looked to Natasi:

"Would Her Majesty care to take the plunge with me?"

natasi_spacer.png

"If you're being quizzed by a distant family contact," Natasi said dryly. "It'll be some relation of my aunt, and you would be well within your rights to tell them what to do with themselves." The less said about these false Fortans, the ones from the branch that had been officially and legally chain-sawed off the family tree, the better. She shook her head and proceeded along the path with Dyrn, trying to keep her mood from diving as it typically did when thinking of the basket of vipers that was that part of what used to be the family.

As it always did, the sound of running water lifted her spirits. She was smiling to herself before she even realized it, and she beamed at Dyrn when he suggested the source. "Yes," she agreed, and chuckled when he bounded off to confirm the source. She did not, rather maintaining her same pace. She reached his side in time to take a bottle of water from him. "Thank you," she murmured as she unscrewed the lid, then lifted it for a sip. While Dyrn set about to check its depth and temperature, Natasi sat on a rock and took off her shoes, then carefully dangled her feet into the water. "Oh that's lovely," she agreed.

When he suggested taking the plunge, Natasi couldn't help but feel that it was euphemistic as well as literal. "You'll allow it?" she asked, somewhat astonished. It wasn't like him to encourage her to put herself in danger. He must have used his enhanced vision to see assess the dangers and decided they were minimal. "Let's do it," she declared, with an impulse she hadn't felt in months. Not since that fateful training session in the ballroom at Herevan. Well, fortune had favored the bold that day, so why not? She stood, brushing any clinging dirt or dust from her backside, then carefully pulled her shirt up and over her head and folded it neatly. She set it down on the rock she had been siting on, then carefully extricated herself from her pants, again folding them neatly.

Natasi had the good grace not to look scandalized by being in a bathing costume in front of Dyrn. It wasn't a particularly revealing one, but still. there she was. She followed Dyrn along the path and up the rock, taking his hand when offered at a particularly steep step here and there. The rock was narrow as it jutted out over the pool below. Natasi slowly walked out, keeping a hold of Dyrn's hand for for stability. She wasn't afraid of heights, exactly, but she had a healthy respect for them.

"This reminds me of the time my cousin Pierce used the frozen river to make a sledding ramp at Herevan. He's the reason there's a safety net there, in case you were wondering." Natasi came to the edge and half-turned to her companion, flashing a broad smile. "Here goes nothing, I guess," she said. She stood on her toes to kiss his cheek briefly and, before she could change her mind, she turned and leapt off the rock. She liked to think of her descent as graceful, her long chestnut ponytail streaming behind her like a flag as she went, but it felt like only a moment before she was splashing into the warm pool below.

She went down, down into the pool, but never touched the ground. Natasi swam to the surface and took a deep breath as she swam toward the shore. She hauled herself to the edge of the rock ledge and sat, leaning back and shielding her eyes so she could watch as Dyrn took his leap.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn smiled as Natasi slipped her feet into the water, happy that she was happy. Crouched down beside her, Dyrn took his hand out and gently shook some of the water off, before he stood up and eyed the jumping point. The suggestion to leap had been a little flippant, mainly just a suggestion because it was there, but when Natasi agreed it made Dyrn look at her. He grinned. The spontaneity was infectious, the Keshian watched as she began to undress and soon stood there in her bathing suit - and despite himself, and his best efforts, Dyrn looked down at Natasi's legs... but diverted his eyes by looking to his feet, and kicking off his own shoes.

He didn't want to stare. Well, he did, but also didn't.

"I don't want you to think I will advise against everything," Dyrn said as he pulled off his socks and placed them into the shoes, before he put both water bottles down on the ground. "This is exciting, fun, and I am comfortable with how safe you are. So let's enjoy it."

With confidence, Dyrn walked over to the small climb and started to walk up. When Natasi reached out, he held her hand, and offered support so she made it up. With the smile still on his face, Dyrn listened as she told the experience of sledding ramps at Herevan, with cousin Pierce, and the mention of the safety net caused a chuckle. He accepted the kiss to the cheek quite happily, then watched as Natasi stepped off and jumped!

"Hah!" Dyrn cheered, as he watched her land in the water. Even falling, Natasi Fortan was elegant. "Absolutely beautiful."

Dyrn peered down and waited til Natasi surfaced. When she did, and began to swim to the pool edge, the Guardsman relaxed a little. He hadn't been worried, the water was plenty deep, but seeing her climb out onto the rocks still offered relief. It was his responsibility to keep her safe, to protect her, so it was reasonable to have some underlying concern most of the time. Yet, Natasi soon appeared comfortable on the warm rock ledge, and then looked up, as she shielded her eyes with a hand to watch; seemed it was his turn!

There was no point wetting all his clothing, so Dyrn reached down and pulled his t-shirt up and over his head, and as soon as the warmth of the sun touched his torso, he hesitated--

Oh...

--and a frown formed on his face as he turned away slightly, to face the water. The realization that Natasi hadn't seen him shirtless dawned on him, and the Guardsman was suddenly very aware of the scars and wounds across his body. His front had a visible old scar that had come from a blade, from his chest above his sternum to his left ribcage. And also a series of smaller scars around his stomach; while his back had a number of gashes and scar tissue, on his right shoulder blade and mid back, mostly. Natasi was aware of the scars on Dyrn's arms, from training in sleeveless shirts, but perhaps wasn't as prepared for the state of the rest of him...

"Okay," Dyrn muttered, he didn't quite know what to say. Should he have warned her? The wounds weren't exactly pleasing to the eye, some were outright awful to look at, jagged and whatnot. Instead, he quickly he tossed the t-shirt back to near his shoes. "My turn!"

Without hesitation, the Keshian took four strides and jumped into the air. The moment of hanging there, just before gravity took over again, was joy. Then he tucked his arms and put his legs together, to pin drop into the water, breaking the surface with a splash. Dyrn descended into the depth for a few moments, as he kept his eyes closed and felt the cool-warmth wash over him. Admittedly, Dyrn stayed under the water for a little longer than he needed to, as he worked through the self-consciousness of his past wounds; he didn't know what Natasi might have expected, certainly his occupation led to some injury, but Dyrn suspected he looked different than Talbot.

With a slow exhale of bubbles, Dyrn kicked his legs and swam to the surface. He appeared, hair slicked against his head and lower face still underwater, and looked to Natasi with his blue-orange eyes. He came the rest of the way up, enough so that his arms were on the surface, and he could tread water comfortably.

"I was wondering when I might see you be inelegant at something," Dyrn said with a smile, as he swam closer to Natasi and the rock ledge. He stayed in the water, looking up at her. "And apparently even leaping from a ledge wasn't it. Your Grace is graceful. Want to jump again?"

Dyrn ducked under the water a little, up to his nose, as he reached out and gently rubbed Natasi's calves in the water.

"I also feel I should have, uh, warned you. About the scars. I've managed to... collect a few."

Last edited:

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi felt a tightness in her chest when Dyrn leapt from the tower of rock, a collision between the intellectual certainty that he would survive the plunge and an irrational, emotional fear that he would be injured or worse. When he didn't surface right away, she waited, then pushed off the ledge, swimming towards the center of the pool -- but before she could get further than a few arm-lengths from the ledge, a flurry of bubbles preceded Dyrn to the surface. She stopped, treading water, and tried not to look relieved.

"Don't be silly," she said with a laugh as she turned and kicked her way back to the ledge. "You had the right idea, I think. You barely made a splash. Next to you I probably looked like a rampaging bantha." Natasi hauled herself back up onto the ledge and crossed her legs as she leaned back on her elbows. She wished she'd thought to bring towels or a blanket; maybe they could have had some sun. "Yes, I think I would," she responded to his inquiry about going again. "Once I've had a moment to recover from the first time."

Dyrn's self-consciousness about his scars was endearing. The truth was, she hadn't noticed them in his descent from the rock. Her gaze darted towards the water where she could only make out a wavy image of him, distorted by the water, mottled by the sun. "We all have scars," Natasi said quietly as she sat up, then leaned forward and placed a hand on his face, gently brushing water droplets from his jawline. "You wear yours better than most, truth be told," she said with a wry smile, then leaned down and kissed him lightly. There was something about a rugged man whose body told a story. That had been, she supposed, part of the appeal of General Vaas. He had sustained injuries in saving her life during her cousin Imogen's assassination plot at Skye, a feat that had endeared him to her utterly.

See how that ended, she thought, a gentle note of admonition in her own internal monologue. Some part of her would always care for Ludolf, just as some part of her would for Talbot and Irani. There were days that went by -- a few, but more and more lately -- that she didn't wonder what had happened to Vaas and Marzena and their baby in the exile that she hoped they never learned she had arranged, the exile that had saved them from summary execution at Sieger Ren's instruction for Vaas' conduct at Kaeshana.

Natasi pushed the thoughts to one side. That was easier these days than it ever had been. Not for the first time, she thanked the Balance that things with Dyrn, while not uncomplicated, were certainly almost straightforward in comparison. They cared for one another, enjoyed each other's company, and were mature adults about it. Well -- mostly, she mentally amended. My heart does rather race at his touch like a twenty year old.

She realized that she had been staring at him and blushed a little, sitting back up. "You know," she said conversationally in an attempt to sound casual, "I find you very attractive, scars and all, but if you're unhappy with them -- there are places where they can be... well, if not removed, then adjusted. I had a scar removed years ago, before the Supreme Leader appointed me Moff and I became the face of the First Order. I had a rather bad accident as a child that left a mark -- here," she indicated her cheek. "It wasn't vanity," she said defensively. "It was -- to be an effective leader of His Majesty's government."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

We all have scars.

Dyrn repeated Natasi's words in his mind, as he almost nodded to himself. Truer words, and all that. He found it reassuring though that an understanding was there, though not that he believed Natasi shallow or one to be off-put by his scars, so much that... he wasn't quite comfortable with them, when it came to her. But the simple words - spoken softly - helped considerably in assuaging some of that discomfort. He also reasoned that, given the path the pair were on, that Natasi would have learned about the old wounds sooner or later. With her hands on his face, Dyrn smiled. He reached up with his own, and covered hers, enjoyed the warmth of her skin.

"You're right," The Keshian said, just as quietly. "We all have scars."

Still, Dyrn's eyebrows raised as he listened to Natasi continue. He noted the blush, the edges of his lips almost went into a smile. The compliment of being attractive - from the woman whom he loved - despite the scars was appreciated, and Dyrn wondered at the small story Natasi shared about her past. He hadn't been aware of that, the mark on her cheek, and inclined his head as he looked at the spot. There was no way to know, unless told, the adjustment was so fine.

"I understand, yes," Dyrn said with a nod in the water. "Effective leadership... still... if you'll allow me--"

Dyrn grabbed the solid ground at the water edge, and pulled himself up with both arms, so he was out of the water on dry land again. He stayed in a casual kneeling position, which brought him roughly eye-level with Natasi - who had sat back during her brief childhood story. Dyrn looked carefully at the place on her cheek that had been marked in the past. His own confidence had improved, he pushed thoughts about his own scars to one side, and instead focused solely on Natasi.

"--was it here?"

He leaned in, close to Natasi's cheek, as he (pretended) to look with scrutiny. His nose brushed her skin, then he gave a quick kiss to the spot, before he leaned back and shifted to the other side of her beautiful face. He began to look at her other cheek.

"Or perhaps here?

Again, there was no sign of childhood blemish. Dyrn kissed the second spot, her cheek, then leaned back and looked at her. With a chuckle, Dyrn held her gaze, for as long as she did, then added:

"I will keep them, I think. The scars." Dyrn said in a low voice, as he glanced down and traced his eyes along the wound on his chest. "They aren't pretty, certainly, but they're mine... and if they don't offend, then..." Dyrn smiled, far more comfortable. "Each one has a story, so that might allow us some icebreakers at boring social festivities?"

Dyrn pushed to his feet, as he started back toward the jumping point. He climbed up, the dirt now started to stick to his wet skin, but that wasn't a concern. Instead, the Keshian took a moment to enjoy the cool breeze on the water on his skin, he felt refreshed really, as though a burden had been lifted he hadn't been aware of being there - at least not until now. Yet, Dyrn paused, as he narrowed his eyes and looked through the treetops from his higher vantage point--

"Natasi, quickly, come up here," Dyrn said, though his voice wasn't indicative of danger or concern, as he reached out with a hand. "Quickly... you won't want to miss this."

The tall man kept his eyes to the treetops, then began to smile, before a grin spread on his face. He kept hold of Natasi, firmly--

"Look."

--and then the trees and branches shook with an intense burst of wind, as one of the mighty Nu'ral birds flew a dozen meters above the water pool. It was immense, double the size of the speeder, with even longer wing span. The creature's skin was similar to flattened feathers, which shimmered, and caused its color to shift slightly as it passed other color sources. The thing didn't take notice of the humanoids, it merely continued on its way, monstrous wings continued to flap with powerful bursts of wind as it receded beyond where Dyrn watched from.

"Amazing..."

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi felt her stomach leap when Dyrn leaned close, examining her face. She knew that there was no evidence of her previous blemishes. Hers was an entirely new body, and while Natasi retained her knowledge and memories and values, her body had not endured the decades of life. It was an odd thing to remember the smell of burning flesh from her childhood injury and the dull ache after the surgery but to know that it had neve happened in this body. And these were not the only experiences that Natasi knew she remembered but which this new body had not.

She was not sure she was looking forward to experiencing childbirth for the first time.... again. The process, on the other hand --

Her cheeks developed a certain rosy glow, and she was happy to let Dyrn think it was from his close inspection of her cheeks and the gentle kisses he put there. If anything, she suspected he would be even more abashed if she said anything. She smiled shyly when he drew back, looking at him from beneath her long eyelashes. Her fingers traced the scar on his chest and she stifled a laugh at using the scars as cocktail party conversational fare. "I don't know how much pool parties will factor into the royal calendar going forward, but I'll see what I can do."

She watched him get to his feet, moving with ease and grace that she only hoped to replicate when she stood up at his suggestion. Natasi clambered up the stone edifice once more at Dyrn's urging. Once reaching the top, she stood on her tiptoes and leaned against Dyrn, following his pointing. The bird was massive, the biggest bird she had ever seen. She resisted the urge to duck down, but she did flinch closer to Dyrn, putting an arm around his lower back.

"By the Balance, would you look at that," she breathed softly. Luckily the bird, which could likely swallow them whole, did not seem to notice them, and it went on its way. Natasi turned to Dyrn and gently prodded his side. "Last one in is a rotten egg," she declared before dashing for the edge. She leapt, spreading her arms in an inexpert but passing-for-graceful swan dive.

Last edited:
ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

The idea of Royal Pool Parties made Dyrn chuckle. He could imagine the high society guests dressed in utterly redundant swimwear, which didn't suit the purpose at all, with some likely in multiple layers for fashion sake. No, the likelihood of that happening was astronomically low, though the amusement was there, even if purely imagined and adhering to stereotypes. Then by that time, Natasi was on the rock overhang with him, against him to which Dyrn placed an arm around her shoulders.

The low-flying Nu'ral was a wonder, to be sure. Once the large creature had passed overhead, then disappeared from view beyond the surrounding canopy of trees, the pair remained. Dyrn glanced down, he opened his mouth to say something, but when Natasi spoke up, he stopped and offered a grin in response.

"A what?" The Guardsman laughed, then ran in hot pursuit of his partner. "All right!"

Natasi dived, elegant despite her claims otherwise, and Dyrn continued to grin as he jumped up into the air and tucked into a Dyrn-sized ball. He held knees close to his chest, wrapped his arms, and sailed down toward the water in a juvenile - but purely for fun - cannonball; the result was a large splash, as he hit the water with a thump, and rolled under the surface amid bubbles and displaced water. He floated there for a few moments, comparative to being a humanoid rotten egg in his tucked state, especially since Natasi had won the contest. With an exhale of bubbles and air, Dyrn unfurled his limbs and swam up to break the water surface.

"So, we have established I am a rotten egg," Dyrn said with a smile, his tone playful. "What does that mean, and what do we do now?"

Dyrn began to slowly swim around Natasi, low in the water, as he waited to see if there was anything else to the game. He assumed it was something the beautiful brunette had played with cousins or friends, a game Dyrn wasn't familiar with, but he was interested and curious to see what else was involved - if anything - and would happily enjoy a moment of exuberance with the woman he loved...

"Better be careful, I might get too close and turn you into a rotten egg."

Perhaps that was the game.

Though, admittedly, I would gladly swim after her anyway.

natasi_spacer.png

The Supreme Leader plunged into the cool pool. The water got colder the deeper she went, but even diving in Natasi couldn't even see the bottom of the pool. She righted herself, then kicked for the surface. Dyrn dropped like a rock into the pool a few feet from her, and she watched idly for a moment before finally propelling herself to the surface, where she tread water.

Given how comfortable Natasi was with Dyrn, it was easy for her to forget that he wasn't like her; they had much different frames of reference and upbringings. "No, no," she said patiently. "It's just a saying to encourage people to get in the water." She pushed hair from her face; she must look a mess, but swimming wasn't about looking good as much as it was about enjoying the experience. "Besides," she said, playfully splashing him with a hand in the water as he circled her. "a bad apple spoils the bunch, not a rotten egg. Anyway there are plenty of people who think I'm quite rotten enough to be getting on with."

She kicked onto her back and floated languidly, gently guiding herself in a wide circle opposite Dyrn's own rotations.

"Did you do a lot of swimming growing up?" she asked curiously, half-turning her head to look at him as she looped him. "Herevan is right on the river, so in the summer we spent more time in the river than out of it. There were a few spots on the estate where the current wasn't so strong that it was unsafe to swim. Some people thought it was cold, but I thought it was heavenly. I guess it's true what they say about me being icy. The ocean in Southport was warmer, but much of the beaches were polluted by the whaling industry before Talbot cleaned it up. The beach at the Duke's summer house was always pristine, if you can believe it."

The Galidraani continued to swirl lazily on the surface as they chatted. "Would you like to go there? It's beautiful and peaceful. I wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable -- given that it belonged to my first husband." Some men got weird about things like that, but Natasi didn't see Dyrn as being so insecure. Anyway, it belonged to George now, and George held nothing against the guardsman, even though she was certain that her son had some inkling of the direction of travel Natasi and Dyrn were on.

"It's a big galaxy," she observed softly after a moment. "I can't wait to see it with you."

This seemed a bridge too far for Natasi, who was known for her low tolerance for saccharine, and she sank her legs back beneath the water. "The sun must be getting to me," she said with an embarrassed chuckle. "We'll burn if we're not careful. Do you want to go again? I think I'll try to drip-dry a bit before getting dressed again."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn smirked, as Natasi explained the intricacies of bad apples and rotten eggs, as he kept low in the water with his nose and mouth surfaced to take some air. There were obvious things that definitely indicated the difference between their lives and upbringings, but every so often there were some small things, which Dyrn tended to find endearing. It also made him realize that, despite the effort to learn what he could from his Guardsman position, there would still be things that were missed or not included. But that was perfectly fine for Dyrn, as now he had a chance to learn and grow alongside Natasi.

"I'll remember that," Dyrn said in a low murmur, the smirk still on his lips. "Though, any thoughts of you being rotten - from anyone - are deplorable, as with the person responsible."

There was no need to think about what Dyrn might do, if presented with someone of that opinion, because he knew Natasi more than capable of handling that. Still, it did bring to mind potential someones, as the Guardsman's inherent sense of duty assessed some likely dissidents that thought as such about the Supreme Leader. Dyrn blinked and looked back to Natasi, however, as she began speaking about Herevan and the river; of no secret to himself, it would take time and effort to align both sides of his responsibilities to Natasi, at the appropriate times, and right now a Guardsman wasn't needed.

"That sounds pleasant, especially the cool water, I much prefer the cold too," Dyrn said as he swam lazily closer and reached out to brush Natasi's fingers with his own. He enjoyed hearing about her life, the small and private moments and would always want to hear more. "I swam some, yes. Mostly with my father, usually under different circumstances than a refreshing splash. I can recall swimming in a storm, also swimming fully clothed and a half dozen times with a full kit - er, backpacks filled with supplies."

Dyrn smiled, though his eyes were distant.

"I realized a long time ago that most of what my father did was to prepare me for service. It does take some of the varnish off the memories, in some ways. But, there were other times when my mother insisted on vacations, free from training or pseudo-bonding time with my father. Those were nice getaways, with Faroe along because she was younger and less fiercely independent... they were like this, really. But, unlike this, my father would always hover in the background and encourage more subliminal training. Like noting speeder types, sentients that were seen more than twice, or how many people sat in the diner wearing specific clothing, things of that nature."

The Guardsman shrugged in the water, which splashed a little, then looked back to Natasi with a smile:

"I suppose that would be a long way of saying yes, I would like to see that place, and the galaxy, with you. Most certainly."

It was timely, in a way, that Natasi changed the subject. Dyrn had started to think about his home life, his childhood, with not all of it good. Though, Dyrn also knew about his partner's preference for being more formal or austere, so knew when to pull back his own affections. He anticipated that, in time, Natasi would feel less self-conscious and be comfortable as she would, especially as Dyrn would never judge her. But, for now, it seemed a good time to consider returning to the lodging, as the afternoon could slip away quickly if they weren't careful.

"It might be about time to consider the walk back," Dyrn said as he looked up. The sun had moved somewhat. "A dim forest trek wasn't part of the plan, sadly."

Dyrn began to swim back toward the edge of the pool. He planted his hands, pulled himself out with his arms, and turned to offer a hand. Once both were free of the water, the Guardsman promptly gathered the towels and passed one to Natasi - with a kiss and smile - before he patted himself down and dried off. He started to dress, though looked toward the beautiful woman beside him every so often, catching glances of her.

He couldn't help but smile.

"The hike back should be easier, we'll be mostly headed downhill. All set?" Dyrn asked, as he gathered belongings and pack. The sun and swim and exercise had been nice, along with the hike, but it also made the tall man's stomach make itself known to him. "Oh, which reminds me, did we settle on dinner?"

natasi_spacer.png

They made their way back down the mountainside from the cool pool, winding through alternating shade and sun. It was more leisurely this way, she thought. The Supreme Leader took her gruadsman's hand, lacing her fingers through his, not for support but just for the sheer joy of holding his hand. His was much larger, of course, but as gentle as anything.

He asked about dinner and she smiled up at him wryly. "I've decided," she told him with an air of soft authority. "I'm going to cook. Balance help you, if it can." She had something in mind based on the groceries they had picked up earlier. Soon they had arrived at the cabin and Natasi waited while Dyrn performed his security sweep. The sun was approaching the horizon, and Natasi felt the gentle gnaw of hunger, a feeling vaguely reminiscent of her childhood, the familiar feeling of well-being and anticipation after spending time in the water.

When it was safe to go back inside, Natasi said: "I'd like to take a quick shower, if you don't mind, then I'll get started with dinner. Just to rinse off the pool." When everything had been agreed, she showered. Without a ladies maid or the time to handle her own hair, it dried into chestnut waves that she tied back loosely after donning a pale blue sundress. Barefoot and without even any jewelry -- except her Cosmic Balance necklace and the bracelet Dyrn had given her -- she emerged into the cabin and prepared to get started on food.

It was a delicate balance. She was already full of butterflies, nearly giddy with anticipation, but she was also hungry. Dyrn was a powerhouse of a man, nearly a tower, and he would need to be fed, too, but she didn't want to do anything too heavy. Nothing that would -- change their mood, so to speak. The Supreme Leader tied an apron around her trim waist, flipped a wooden spoon into her hand, and got started.

"I think the champagne has cooled enough," Natasi said in her subtle Galidraani accent. "Would you pour us a glass? Dinner will be done in just a few minutes." She took the handle of the pan with two hands, swirled the contents of the pan, then flipped it. Inexpert, but it got the job done and with minimal mess.

It was only a few minutes later that Natasi, having chivvied Dyrn to take his seat at the small table, leaned around his frame and set a plate on the table between his silverware. The plate contained a breast of poultry, sliced artfully and arranged in a fan, drizzled with a fragrant floral berry sauce and some roasted vegetable that was nearly identical to string beans except purple. A small but attractive side salad with champagne vinaigrette rounded out the plate. Natasi took a seat opposite Dyrn.

"So, do I get a hint about what's going on tomorrow?" Natasi asked casually as she watched him, looking to gauge his reaction to the meal once he'd had a taste. "Or is ti a state secret?"

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn chuckled at Natasi's jest about cooking; though, in truth, he had always enjoyed any meal she prepared.

The hike back was easier, helped along by hand holding, and it was sooner than it seemed before the lodging came into view. The fields of flowers around were back, the pair free of the more closed off forestry of the water pool, and Dyrn's senses as a Guardsman returned. He began to scan the more open sightlines, he checked for changes in the area around the cottage, footprints or similar things, but found nothing.

Once inside, Dyrn milled about in the kitchen, as Natasi took time to shower and settle for the evening. He planned to do the same, once the refresher was free. But, until then, Dyrn busied himself with preparations for the next day; he wanted the water bottles changed, some light finger food packed into containers and ready, as well as some other details for the mysterious outing. Dyrn was looking forward to it, the planning had been immaculate and a buzz of excitement - that they were going to see such a sight, finally - was felt.

When Natasi emerged from the room, dressed in a lovely pale blue sundress and hair tied back, it was all Dyrn could do not to grab her in his arms as she spoke. But, he was also still in his hiking clothing, complete with sweat, so that wasn't the course he took; no, instead, the Guardsman walked past Natasi and leaned over to kiss her cheek--

"You look beautiful. I'm going to shower, also. Won't be long."

--before he exited the kitchen, with one last look at Natasi Fortan - Supreme Leader - in an apron with a spoon in hand.

Dyrn smirked to himself.

True to his word, the Guardsman returned minutes later. He was likewise refreshed, dressed in a simple t-shirt and loose pants, as he rejoined Natasi. She spoke up about the champagne, to which Dyrn nodded and proceeded to collect both the bottle and glasses, to then pour two and place them on the table. The food smelled wonderful, despite Natasi's claims or jests. To help further, Dyrn placed out the silverware, before he was ushered to his seat.

"Mm," He muttered, as Natasi leaned around him and put the plate on the table. "It looks delicious."

The dinner was far more complex than Dyrn was used to, his own cooking capabilities were acceptable, so he was very impressed. The poultry, the vegetables, the fragrance of the sauce, coupled with a side salad with dressing - it was incredibly impressive. And while Dyrn was happy to share the cooking, he couldn't help but admit that he would always look forward to Natasi's night more so. Then, when Natasi was seated, the Guardsman took up his fork and claimed a piece of the meal, to which he nodded and let out a small moan of enjoyment.

"It tastes delicious, too."

The pangs of hunger finally caught up with him, and the large Keshian began to eat. He maintained his manners, of course, but couldn't deny it was wholly pleasant and he was eager to have every last bite. Natasi asked about the planned trip for the morrow, to which Dyrn looked to her and smiled, perhaps with a little mischievousness behind it:

"No hints, I'm afraid. It requires utmost secrecy. Above state level, even."

One thing Dyrn had come to love was the humor between them. It had also brought out his wit somewhat, though few could claim to have heard it, save Natasi. Still, once his mouth was clear of food to speak, Dyrn continued.

"Everything has been taken care of," Dyrn said with a smile, as he looked toward Natasi, eyes meeting hers. "And even though I'm unable to divulge details, I hope you like it... however, I feel I should ask: where have you been hiding these culinary skills, Ms. Fortan?"

Dyrn continued to smile, as the pair proceeded into further conversation. It was utterly pleasant, the meal was exactly what had been needed, and before long it was time to consider retiring for the evening. When it came time to clean up, Dyrn stepped in - offering no room for disagreement - and took to the dishes, cooking items and glasses in the sink. If it was one thing the Keshian believed, it was that the cook should never have to clean, and so he took care of that, as well as a kiss and thank you to Natasi for cooking.

There was also some nervous energy, so keeping his hands busy for a time helped.

"Should we turn in for the night?" Dyrn asked from the kitchen, as he finished up the dishes. He swallowed, drying off his hands, and couldn't help feeling somewhat joie de vivre. "If you would like, I can do my final security checks... and then be along presently."

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi shrugged her delicate shoulders at Dyrn's refusal to divulge what their journey would involve the next day, her eyebrows lofting as if it were of no import. "All right," she conceded before taking a sip of her champagne. The cool liquid warmed her, made her cheeks a rosy pink. "Keep your secrets. I'm sure whatever it is will be splendid."

She continued to work her way through her meal, although the butterfiles in her stomach made her wonder whether eating anything more was a good idea. The champagne, on the other hand -- well, champagne was usually a good idea as far as Natasi Fortan was concerned. She refilled her glass, topped up Dyrn's, then settled back into her seat. "It helps to have fresh ingredients," Natasi said, her tone light if a little defensive. "There's only so much one can do with reconstituted vegetables and vacuum-sealed meat, however high the quality aboard ship."

The Supreme Leader found herself subconsciously stroking the spot on her left hand where her ring finger met her palm. When not occupied by silverware, thumb and forefinger of her right hand massaged it, as if twisting the band that was no longer there.

Dyrn was kind enough to wash the dishes and Natasi dried them so they would be ready for breakfast the next morning. She was almost giddy with relief when he said he was going to perform his security checks; the tension had been ratcheting up for most of the evening. It was intoxicating. She took another drink of her champagne and went into the bedroom. Should she shut the door? Keep it open? She opted to leave it ajar.

The next decision point was how to array herself once she emerged from the 'fresher in a pale blue nightgown and matched dressing gown. She left the kimono untied and, after trying a few poses (Natasi: lying on her side in an alluring pose akin to a French Girl for drawing purposes; Natasi: sitting on the edge of the bed, propped up on her hands, kimono suggestively hanging from one shoulder; Natasi: laying on the pillows, ankles primly crossed). It felt so -- unnatural and stiff.

When Dyrn finally did enter, he would find Natasi sitting a the small vanity table, running her hairbrush over her chestnut locks. Somehow the movement disguised the tremble in her hands.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn took, admittedly, perhaps a little longer than he meant to with his security checks. He circled the cottage several times, the tension controlled but certainly there inside, before he decided that rechecking was redundant and close to ridiculous. There was little reason to delay, and the last thing either of the pair needed was awkwardness, so Dyrn completed his final round and walked to the bedroom.

The door was ajar, Dyrn knocked gently.

Habit.

Something he would have to work on now, he supposed.

The Guardsman grimaced, though changed his expression quickly enough, as he opened the door and stepped through. It was impossible not to smile, as his eyes immediately focused on Natasi to one side of the room, seated at the vanity table with a hairbrush. Dyrn walked over - he kept the nerves under heel, despite thinking that he had felt less so against enemy combatants. It wasn't true, really, but was merely Dyrn's way of internalizing and dealing with the anticipation of it all; this would be the first time both Natasi and he had shared a bedroom, after all.

Dyrn approached to stand beside Natasi.

He didn't say anything, but instead reached out and rubbed her upper back and neck gently, just admiring her for a moment.

Then, with a smile as he caught her gaze, Dyrn stepped back and pulled the t-shirt off, before he folded it and placed it on the dresser nearby. He didn't even mind about the scars, it was immaterial now, because he trusted Natasi completely. She had accepted him as he was, and he did the same. His fingers stayed on the material for a moment, as he flattened out a wrinkle or two. He turned, walked, and on his way back to the bed, Dyrn paused--

"I'll just close this."

--then he reached out to fasten the door, leaving the rest of the cottage beyond the bedroom empty for the remainder of the night.

natasi_spacer.png

Some hours later, Natasi woke before the sun, her head resting on Dyrn's chest as it gently rose and fell. Smiling faintly, she settled in closer to him, but a few minutes later she could tell that she wasn't going to be able to fall asleep again. She carefully rolled over and shifted to the edge of the bed, finding her nightgown on the way. She sat up on the edge of the bed, pulled the nightgown back over her head, smoothing it down over her hips after she stood up.

Silently she padded across the carpet to the door, which she opened. She let herself out and went into the open living space and then, without giving it much thought, she went to the kitchen. Some good milk chair would settle her down again. As quietly as she could, she set about to heat some milk. She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirrored finish of the saucepan lid and found that she still had that idiotic smile on her face.

A few moments later, she settled onto a chair at the table, cupping a mug of steaming spiced milk in her hands, and sighed. She felt like she had spent all day in the saddle back home, both the physical aches and exhaustion, and the feeling of satisfaction and well-being. A sip of the tea warmed her mouth and throat, and she considered the man sleeping in the other room. She loved him, but he had not been the first man she had ever loved, not even the first man she loved that she had shared a bed with.

Perhaps she was old-fashioned and had not moved with the times, but she was rather certain that Galidraani society would be scandalized to learn that she had taken a man to her bed without the benefit of marriage. Or perhaps the Fortan name had been so degraded by other members of the family that it would be no surprise at all. Still, it had been... necessary. Not just because Natasi had wanted him, though she had. But she could see herself marrying him, and divorce was anathema to her. Marriage was a long business for her kind of people, and it was better to know now whether they were compatible. Not just that they cared for one another -- obviously they did -- but whether they could live together and be together, in every way.

Dyrn was easy to be around. He was solicitous, almost to the point of excess on occasion. Her husband Talbot had been -- in some ways easier, but in other ways less pleasant. Their shared backgrounds had given Natasi and Talbot a shorthand. They argued often and he had occasionally been unkind; she was sure that the obverse was also true, as well. But that shorthand had been a shield, too, that dulled the sting of Galidraani barbs. It had allowed them to build a life together even without the bonds of companionship and fairy-tale love. With Dyrn, she had never felt the need to employ barbs or, for that matter, a shield. They discussed. They agreed or disagreed, honestly. They came to a resolution.

Advantage: Dyrn Grav.

What Talbot had lacked in shared interests -- at least as far as the First Order was concerned -- Dyrn had it in spades. His aim in life was to see her safe. A secondary goal, she imagined, was the success of the endeavors to which she dedicated herself. This driving passion she had shared with Ludolf Vaas -- a man she had once considered to be the love of her life even after his betrayal of herself and, as far as she was concerned, the ideals of the First Order by taking up with a glamorous pop star. Unlike Dyrn, Vaas had been... difficult. An code of behaviors that Natasi had found in turns completely alluring and extremely frustrating. She idly wondered as she sipped her drink whether Vaas would have found it within himself to walk a step behind her, to kneel before her as sovereign... an incredulous chuckle at the image of it. On the whole she rather thought not.

Darell Irani had not shared her interests, but their interests had aligned to a certain extent. She had loved him, it was true, and part of her still did, but she could picture him kneeling to her, deferring to her as sovereign. Asking Irani to walk a pace behind would have been like asking a fish not to swim. It was not the way of things. It simply couldn't be. And she suspected that the Sith Lord would still be seeking advantage, one way or another. Dyrn had never asked her for anything.

Even without comparing him with the potential partners in her life, she felt confident that she would be very happy with Dyrn. The way her stomach dropped when she looked at him, the thrill up her spine when he touched her hand, and his serious and thoughtful loyalty -- to her and to the work that gave her life value and meaning -- were all she needed to know. Well, not all, she thought as she considered the prior evening. An embarrassed but satisfied smile was buried in the foamy dregs of her milky tea, as if there was anyone there to see or judge her.

Natasi stood after a few more moments of thoughtful silence and then went to wash up. She had made her decision, but -- well, Dyrn would have to make his, too, once she managed to ask.

The Supreme Leader slipped back between the blankets and inched back closer to Dyrn. An arm circled his middle and she settled into the crook of his shoulder. She barely had an opportunity to sigh contentedly before she had succumbed to sleep again.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

The night just gone had been one of the most satisfying Dyrn could recall. He had been deep in sleep, so much so that he had only been vaguely aware of Natasi's movement in the night, though had spent a spell listening in a half-nap just in case. Nothing untoward had happened, she had been safe and secure in the cottage, so he had resumed sleep. Her return had been welcome, with Natasi's warmth against him, and for the remainder of the early morning Dyrn had slept soundly.

Though, with the daylight Dyrn had woken. Natasi lay there, asleep, with her brunette locks against his chest and shoulder. She seemed peaceful, it filled Dyrn with his own peacefulness, and for a handful of minutes he stayed there simply enjoying her closeness. After a time, he decided the day needed to start, and slowly - and carefully - slid out from under Natasi, in an attempt to avoid waking her. He sat up, lowered his legs over the edge of the bed, and rubbed at his neck; the night had been wonderful, full of caring and passion, but equally the intimacy of sleep.

Dyrn smiled, as he inhaled, then sought out his loose pants. He slipped them on, stood, and walked silently from the room and made his way toward the kitchen. Based on what he knew, the Keshian suspected Natasi had had some warmed milk, though it seemed the glass had been washed and put away. With a yawn, the Guardsman began to rummage around the cupboards, as quietly as he could, and soon had the pan on the stove top, heating. He planned to make his love breakfast, even if there was trepidation after the incredible meal she had prepared the night before.

Eggs, bacon, milk, an assortment of peppers of varying colors and sources, were all removed from the cooling unit and placed on the bench top. The movements of slicing and mixing were automatic, the process done amid thought, as Dyrn considered a number of things. He felt relief that their first night together had gone well, it had felt comforting and comfortable, and in his mind had brought the pair closer - emotionally, physically. Not only that, but Dyrn knew the expectations of Natasi's people, he understood the trust in him to share a bed out of wedlock, and it only made his care and devotion to Natasi even more so. It had been two people, in love - nothing more, nothing less.

It had felt right.

For a moment, Dyrn thought about marriage, and whether a sudden proposal might be a step too far. He wouldn't, of course, it wasn't his decision to make and he would respect Natasi's deliberations on the matter; though, if how Dyrn felt was any indication, he wouldn't hesitate to say yes. That was a bridge to cross later, however, and the Guardsman's attention was returned to the cooking ingredients in the pan - he didn't want to burn the food, it would be a terrible way to follow up the evening prior.

"Tsk," Dyrn uttered, as he looked down and wiped a splatter of hot oil from his stomach. "Every time."

The omelettes were ready, though, to which Dyrn used the metal spatula to take the morsels off the heat and onto plates. The stove was turned off, the pan placed to one side to cool and soak with water. He picked up utensils from the drawer, then held both plates in either hand, as he walked back toward the bedroom. He paused in the doorway, as he looked for Natasi, and could only smile... he adored and loved her, in every way in that moment.

"Good morning... I come bearing breakfast."

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi woke while Dyrn was in the kitchen, and took the opportunity to go into the 'fresher. She washed her face, brushed her teeth, and ran a brush through her hair which, thankfully, was minimally tangled, before shrugging into her dressing gown and returning to the bedroom. Her morning digest was waiting in her red box, which she accessed and, after settling on top of the covers, began to run through the reports. She had read a few pages when Dyrn came back into the room bearing breakfast.

"What a treat," she said with a grin. She locked her datapad and set it to one side before reaching over to accept the plate and cutlery from Dyrn. "I got rather out of the habit of breakfast in bed after -- well, when I came back to Dosuun," said the Supreme Leader casually. "The demands of the job don't allow for much other than a cup of tea, so this is quite a treat."

It smelled good. She waited for Dyrn to take his spot, then leaned over and placed a kiss against his jawline. "Thank you," said Natasi genuinely. "For breakfast, and -- everything."

She set about to eat her breakfast in a companionable silence. Ordinarily she would have been satisfied with a piece of toast and tea or coffee, but she found that she was rather hungrier this morning than was typical. The realization caused a rosy flush to creep up in her cheeks, and she glanced covertly at Dyrn briefly before finishing up.

She stood and checked the duvet for crumbs before setting the plate to one side and going over to the wardrobe. "I know you won't tell me where we're going today," said Natasi as she began to page through her clothing. "But can you share what clothes I'll need? Slacks of shorts or a dress?" Natasi turned, dark eyes focusing on Dyrn. Balance, but she couldn't help wanting to march across the room, set his breakfast plate aside, and --

Flushing, she turned back to the clothes in the wardrobe. Pull yourself together, Natasi chided herself. Besides, there will be plenty of time for -- for whatever we both want to do.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Natasi had awoken and was busy with her duties, the red box was never far away.

With a smile, and a sensation of some heat to his face, Dyrn offered the breakfast plate and placed his own on the bedside table for the moment. He stepped into the 'fresher and sought out his toothbrush. He listened as Natasi told him about her habit of skipping breakfast, though the Guardsman couldn't admonish her for that, as he understood how important being Supreme Leader was for her.

Service, always.

"Maybe we can change that," Dyrn said, his voice slightly different because of the cleaning paste. "The idea of sharing breakfast in bed with you is very appealing."

There was some water splashes, then he stepped out of the on-suite, to find a seat on the bed beside his love. Dyrn took up his plate, as Natasi thanked him with a kiss, to which he smiled - "And you, also." - he said, his blue-orange eyes regarding her; there was never a moment Dyrn didn't see Natasi's beauty.

...perhaps it was fortunate they were both balancing plates at that moment.

So, the pair ate in comfortable silence. Dyrn thought the meal decent, perhaps not his best, but he relished the opportunity to improve, and would dedicate some time in the future to cooking. The Guardsman felt eyes on him, to which he glanced at Natasi, only to see her with a blush beside him; and he smiled again, even as he bit his lip lightly and focused on finishing the omelette.

Dyrn couldn't help but think about the evening they shared.

When Natasi stood and walked over to the wardrobe, Dyrn looked over and watched her intently. He couldn't help but chuckle at the mention of the secret he kept, which made the agenda for the day slightly more enjoyable, at least for him. The Supreme Leader tended to be in the know about mostly everything, so it was an amusing contrast, if temporary.

"I would recommend dressing for the weather," Dyrn said nonchalantly, as he collected Natasi's plate and stacked it with his own. He stood from the bed and walked closer to her, before he leaned down and kissed her neck. "We have the speeder available, for most of the trip. I would also suggest comfortable shoes. I'll go wash up the dishes, won't be long..."

With great reluctance, Dyrn walked out of the room, though did glance over his shoulder to catch another glimpse of Natasi. As he walked toward the kitchen, the Guardsman spied a few of the checkpoints in the cottage, out of habit, before he reached the sink. He began to rinse and wash, as he called:

"When would you like to go? This morning or perhaps later today?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom