Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Beyond Price | Private

skin, bone, and arrogance

natasi_spacer.png

Dyrn Grav had never seen Natasi Fortan looking so relaxed.

It was possible that no one ever had.

Her look was not the most fashionable by modern standards, but the embellished silver-beige dress, with its shapeless form and drop waist would have been all the rage at a Galidraani garden party which, incidentally, had been what it was originally what it had been purchased for. She wore gloves of the most delicate lace netting, A rope of antique pearls, coiled around her neck so that they hung like two necklaces, one longer than the other, would have been necessary in this setting as well.

Like any self-respecting Galidraani aristocrat, she wore matching earrings, also antique pearl.

A wide-brimmed hat trimmed in the same silver-beige was pinned atop her chestnut curls, tucked into a relaxed updo. "That's a brilliant idea," she told Dyrn in response to his mention of their own transport. "I'd hate to shatter the tranquility of our holiday with something as gauche as a motorcade." They wandered to the car; Natasi carried her red box but left the heavy lifting to Dyrn -- not because he was 'the help' as it were, but because he was a gentleman and she was a lady. When everything had been tucked away, Natasi canted her head to one side and regarded the speeder curiously for a moment, then shrugged and headed for the passenger side. "You can do it. I don't want you getting nervous."

They settled into the car and Natasi contentedly sat, making pleasant conversation with Dyrn and pointing out interesting landmarks and things she'd like to double back and see. When they arrived at the cottage, it seemed -- smaller than Natasi was anticipating. She allowed Dyrn to conduct his security sweep -- no rest for the wicked -- and then followed him in, carefully reaching up to unpin her hat as she surveyed the room. It was cozy. Warm.

She wandered the small cottage but there wasn't much more to see. A large bedroom, a comfortable bathroom with large jacuzzi and shower, a kitchen and small dining space, and a good-sized living room that made up most of the house with a holo, a sofa, and some other miscellaneous activities like board games, cards, whatnot. When she had finished the circuit, she realized there was just one bedroom. It hadn't occurred to her that there would only be done.

Natasi looked across the room at Dyrn and smiled, the butterflies in her stomach doing a loop. "It's lovely, don't you think?" she asked with a levity that she tried not to force. It was funny; she had been preparing herself for the moment when she invited Dyrn to share her bed. It had taken the whole journey, but only the night before had she finally tucked the wedding photo of herself and Talbot into the nightstand, only to chicken out at the last moment. She had been ready, she thought, more than ready. A fear of rejection, or of making Dyrn uncomfortable, had given her pause.

Perhaps this was an opportunity. "I can smell the flowers from here," she sighed happily. "Beautiful."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

The drive in the speeder was wholly pleasant. There were miles and miles of fields in all directions, though every so often there were tourist locations. Dyrn had organized a rough outline for the vacation, which involved visiting a few, so he pointed out a number along the way. Natasi pointed out some of her own, too, which was good. They would certainly explore the flower-covered planet and see all the things. Ultimately, though, the trip was to spend time together, which the Guardsman continued to remain excited about. Still, he wanted Natasi to be comfortable in every respect, so he held no expectations or assumptions.

Simply be together, that was the goal for him. Quality time, bonding, to enjoy being around the person he cared so deeply for.

The cottage itself was quaint. Built of naturally colored duracrete, with wooden supports and beams, it was very old timey. Dyrn hoped Natasi liked it. The speeder pulled up, as Dyrn took a moment to open his mouth... then he smirked and closed it, before he opened his door and exited. They both knew what he needed to do, and no sooner had the Guardsman walked up the steps and inside the dwelling that he began his security sweep. It was smaller than Dyrn had anticipated, and he immediately realized it only had a single bedroom, with a singular bed.

Hm.

That hadn't been intentional. He had expected another room, though it was likely too late to adjust the placement, as the planet was very popular for tourism. There had been a waiting list, months, so Dyrn would simply do the right thing when the time was upon them. So, after the inside of the cottage had been checked, with some sensor sweeps for good measure, he returned outside to the speeder and walked around to open the door for Natasi.

"It is quite nice inside," Dyrn said as he smiled. He led the way back inside, after he closed the speeder door in Natasi's wake, to see what she thought of it. She commented on it being lovely, to which Dyrn felt some relief. He had hoped for that. "I agree. Comfortable, homely even, with privacy from others. This field is essentially ours, the closest neighbor being half a mile, at least." Dyrn knew the exact mileage to each of the three surrounding cottages, and how long it would take to reach them at various paces, but kept it casual.

Relax. Keep the busy of work away from the vacation.

After Natasi had a moment to look around, she commented on the flowers and how it was all beautiful. Dyrn agreed. "Yes," He said in a low voice, a smile on the edges of his lips. "Very beautiful." His blue-orange eyes were on Natasi, however, as the scent of the flowers outside the small cottage permeated the air. He couldn't quite recall a time he had been happier, though granted most of his adult life had been spent in a strict training facility as a Royal Guard, yet that didn't alter the fact.

It was also undeniable that the one bed had been keenly observed, the Guardsman excused himself. "I will go and get the luggage. Won't be a moment, my dear." He said as he turned and stepped outside. He looked out over the flowers nearby, as they went on and on seemingly to the horizon, before he returned to the speeder again. He retrieved the personal belongings, held them accordingly in both arms, before he nudged the door closed with his hip and walked the short distance back to the cottage.

Dyrn wasn't usually nervous.

But he was now.

Though it was a good kind of nervous?

"Here we are," Dyrn said as he stepped through the door and proceeded into the bedroom. He placed the bags to one side, before he stepped out and joined Natasi in the main cottage area. The furnishings were quality, most of them carved from wood, and it seemed to match similar places Natasi had grown up around. Still, there was the Wampa in the room to deal with. "I... apologize for the bedding arrangement, Natasi. I had expected, uh, more of them. I am quite happy to use the floor or sofa as needed."

The floor looked comfortable enough. Dyrn had slept on worse. And he had to admit to himself there was a small mixture of excitement and hesitation on waiting for Natasi's response...

"So, your Grace, what would you like to do first? The world is ours to enjoy."

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi peeled her gloves off while Dyrn set about getting things in from the car, a placid smile on her features. She filled the kettle and set it to boil; a nice cup of tea would be the perfect libation to welcome them to the cottage. She opened cabinets and drawers, experimenting as she found the teacups and saucers, spoons, sugar, etc. He came in and apologized for what he called 'the bedding arrangement,' which Natasi found quite comical, despite the circumstances. He may have noticed the slight stiffening of her back as she considered his words. She remained silent for a few moments as she poured the now-boiling water over the teabags, one in each cup.

She carried both cups toward Dyrn and presented him with the one she had prepared to his liking.

"I've been thinking about that," she said conversationally, her eyes lowering to her teacup as she gently bobbed the teabag in the water. "I think -- " she began, but the words seemed to catch in her throat. She cleared it and took a sip of the tea. It was quite similar to the Galidraani breakfast tea that she preferred, but somehow more floral. The tea cannister had indicated it was a local blend. "Dyrn, I don't want you sleeping on the floor. Or on the sofa. For heaven's sake, you risk your life and limb for me every day, and it would be a poor thanks to put you on the floor or that sofa which, as comfortable as it looks, is undoubtedly not especially comfortable when one is trying to sleep on it."

She reached over, placing her free hand in his free hand. "Part of this adventure is to see whether we can live together without driving each other crazy. And that means... living together." She glanced at the pair of doors leading to the bedroom, slightly ajar. "And regardless of what you may see in old-timey Galidraani holos, most couples don't really sleep in separate bedrooms anymore, and when they do it's for practical purposes. Like they hate each other but can't divorce. So as far as I'm concerned, it's time. Perhaps past time."

She turned her head up, looking at the guard captain from beneath her hat, and gave him what she hoped was a reassuring smile. "If you're comfortable with the arrangement, I'd prefer if we shared the bed," Natasi declared. She felt a shiver of trepidation at the thought, but the fear wasn't what was to come, but what might result. If they decided for whatever reason that they were incompatible -- because she snored or because he kicked or because she was bad in bed -- it would mean they would be separated. Natasi couldn't bear the thought of taking this step with Dyrn and him staying on as her guardsman in the long term. For her, this was a trial run at married life and all it entailed. If the experiment succeeded, he would have to give it all up in exchange for a different job and a different kind of life.

And if if failed -- well, she couldn't bear the thought of seeing Dyrn every day.

It was, almost certainly, hugely unfair to Dyrn. But Natasi couldn't see another way around it.

When it had all been settled, one way or another, Natasi went into the bedroom to unpack her things. She didn't want them getting wrinkled, so out came the dresses and skirts, blouses and slacks, stocks and shoes and unmentionables, which she hung in the closet or folded into drawers as the garment required. "Perhaps we can go into town and get supplies," she suggested when he asked what they should do. "And a walk in the fields before dinner. What say you?"

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Natasi brought tea for them both. The newer scent mixed with the floral sweetness in the air, familiar and relaxing, as the beverage had become quite common in Dyrn's life. He might not have been much of a tea drinker prior, however nowadays he enjoyed the warmth of the mug in his hand and the opportunity to sit with Natasi to discuss anything and nothing. The current topic, though, had the Keshian a little more focused on the steaming liquid in the rounded container he held between fingers as he smiled in thanks for the drink.

There had always been a strong sense of propriety and firm stance on traditional standards for Natasi. Dyrn also had his morals and conventions to adhere to, of course, but compared to Galidraani standards they might have seemed less imposing. The tall man's eyes wandered from his partner's deep brown eyes, to her lips as her words paused momentarily to take a sip - something Dyrn had seen in the past, when she had sought a few extra moments to consider things - before continuing.

I'm trying to ignore the fact that this situation, this decision, could affect our relationship, Dyrn thought to himself, though despite the nervousness he kept his expression kind and passive. It could take us to the next stage, where more intimacy and involvement would make going back... hard.

"I would risk that, regardless," Dyrn said softly, his blue-orange eyes focused on her. And he meant it, life and limb for her safety was worth it. "Amusingly, this flooring wouldn't be the worst surface I have slept on... I - uh - won't continue to interrupt."

And Natasi's further words brought a soft chuckle from Dyrn, as he nodded. He understood that deciding to share a bed might not have been as big a deal to him, but he had been adamant in her comfortability and that decision being hers. There couldn't have been another way. There were so many considerations to take into account, and the Guardsman had tried to take as many into account as possible, though undoubtedly Natasi's reputation and standing in some societies likely remained unknown to him.

And so, the lady will decide.

The touch of Natasi's hand on his caused him to glance down, as he wrapped his larger fingers around hers. The touch felt so comfortable, so wanted, and he continued to listen as he took his own sip of the tea. It tasted flowery. Not unpleasant. And at the mention of the old-timey Galidraani holos, and the separate beds or rooms, Dyrn couldn't help but chuckle again. "I admit, I had wondered at that," He said, regarding the mention of that outdated tradition. It was good to know that a future with Natasi involved more than being together in waking hours. "Hopefully we will never reach that point, then. I can honestly say that I suspect being warm next to you in bed will become an instance I grow very accustomed to, in the best ways... and yes, I would very much like that."

I also understand this could change things, but it's a step I am willing to take, for better or worse, because you are everything to me.

And so the decision was made. A weight seemed lifted from Dyrn's shoulders, as he watched Natasi stand after several more moments of idle chatter over teacup rims, and he couldn't deny how beautiful she was in her silver-beige dress. The assortment of clothing the Supreme Leader organized seemed comical to Dyrn, who - in comparison - had very little packed. He did suppose it was easier for him, as the demands for attire were less, so long as he looked appropriately smart or smart-casual for Galidraan.

"A trip into town sounds like a good idea, I had planned to suggest the exact same later," Dyrn smirked, Natasi reading his mind again, as he gathered the teacups and took them to the small kitchen alcove. He rinsed them, placed them to dry. "And a walk sounds equally inviting. it sounds like our day is set.

"Oh, and speaking of activities, there is one I had in mind for tomorrow, around midday... I understand we are on vacation now, and sleeping in is a norm, but it's something I have wanted to show you. The time of day is specific, though I hope you will enjoy it."
Dyrn added as he walked back into the living area and put his hands on hips, considering. He probably didn't need to change for the rest of their day plans, but suspected Natasi might need to. "So, is there anything you want taken to the speeder, for the trip into town?"

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi hadn't realized that her stomach had been clenching until Dyrn agreed when she felt it relax. She smiled into her teacup and took another sip. It was settled, then.

She finished her tea and when Dyrn came to collect the cup and saucer, she handed them over with a murmur of thanks. Natasi wondered whether she should change into something more -- generic, she decided was the word. She had bought a pair of denim pants -- blue jeans, as they were colloquially known -- for the journey, in addition to some regular slacks, skirts and blouses. This was all in addition to the clothing in which she was most comfortable: Galidraani finery.

"Do you suppose I should change?" she asked, approaching Dyrn as he rinsed the teacups. She leaned casually against the counter. "In your professional opinion, would I be more or less noticeable in this as opposed to, say, regular pants and a blouse?" It was a big galaxy and it took all sorts, she supposed, and it was true that there were often many different styles on show anywhere people went. When everything was settled, she prepared to get going. "Perhaps I should have packed the blonde wig I wore the last time we were on Galidraan to stay incognito.

"No, just us, I think," said Natasi with a breezy smile. "Just my handbag." She picked it up off the table and headed for the door. "Maybe we can find a little café in town. I could eat something." As they settled into the speeder again, Natasi checked her appearance in the flip-down visor, straightening a few strands of hair that had been tousled by the breeze.

Natasi was about to protest that she didn't think she was going to sleep in, but with the sleeping arrangements settled as they were she wasn't sure that was true, strictly speaking. Instead she said: "I think I can manage that. I'm sure whatever it is will be fantastic." She looked out over the passing flower fields and took in a breath of the lightly fragrant air. It felt wonderful to be there, in that moment: free and with everything to look forward to.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn smiled at the mention of the blonde wig, a playful one. He found Natasi wholly attractive as she was, though he had also seen her in the wig, and couldn't deny that his opinion was now she looked amazing under all circumstances. That said, the Guardsman suspected that the city - which was probably an overstatement, as it was more a large 'town' - likely wouldn't be too fussed with a pair of tourists. He suspected they would probably blend in much like everyone else.

"You're on vacation, my dear," Dyrn said as he finished with the teacups, he turned to face Natasi and inclined his eyebrows. "If ever there was a chance to escape the expectations and pageantry of it all with me for a time, it would be now. That said, you look perfectly beautiful."

With a thoughtful cluck of his tongue, Dyrn paused as he considered the weather. He grabbed a jacket for himself and for Natasi, just in case, but also slipped the retracted length of his electrostaff onto the back of his belt. Better safe than sorry. Old habits died hard, sadly, and his philosophy was to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I doubt Natasi will mind. Still, this is not the Allegro-class, so precautions are prudent.

"Handbag only? Excellent. I have a jacket for you, just in case."

When they stepped outside, Dyrn closed the door and locked it. He double-checked with a jiggle, before he placed a small sensor node in the top corner. Just added precaution, it was all fairly typical for the pair by this point, even though the Guardsman wanted to have that same sense of security and safety alongside Natasi on the private ship. Here, on world, Dyrn was more alert, he even felt less attentive, but reluctantly knew it was a necessary compromise. Still, there was no reason to not enjoy as much of their time as possible, even if he kept one eye over their shoulders...

"I'm glad, I cannot wait to show you. It really is quite breathtaking, I feel, but I won't say more to keep the surprise."

Dyrn opened the speeder door for Natasi, then closed it once she was seated inside, before he rounded and entered likewise. Soon enough, the pair were speeding the length of the long, lonesome roads that separated numerous fields of flowers. The locals tended to want tourists to avoid passing over the fields directly, as it could disturb the natural state of the fields, so clear routes had been provided with equally clear holo-signage.

She looks... peaceful. I like that.

With one hand on the wheel, Dyrn reached over and sought Natasi's hand. He gave her fingers a comforting squeeze, then held them.

"Speaking of cafes, from what I've seen, Ceres City has three that are said to be quite good," Dyrn glanced into the rearview, then put his eyes back on the road. "One specializes in non-human species, so that might be less desirable? Another does some very surprising dishes with food molecular gastronomy, while the third is quite traditional for the planet and most tastes... I am happy to try whatever you fancy."

Dyrn did admit the molecular gastronomy cafe sounded... intriguing. But he wasn't very adventurous when it came to food or lifestyle, so he erred to Natasi on those matters. Another lone speeder passed in the opposite direction, as they traveled, to which Dyrn looked to the identification tag on the front. It was memorized. There for the duration of the trip, perhaps even afterward, as details were important. Nonetheless, ahead was a turn that would take them to Ceres, to which Dyrn took the corner with a little bit of speed, as he smirked and glanced to the beautiful woman beside him...

I never believed I could be so lucky.

"Not long now. Almost there."

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi had elected to change into something more casual in the hopes that it would draw less attention. Although she realized she was a famous face, she thought that context had a lot to say about whether she was recognized, and a woman in obvious Galidraani clothing and a jaunty hat was likely to mark her out as a figure worth a second look more than a woman in plain dark pants and a dark green blouse, hair pulled back into a simple ponytail. She wore short ankle-boots instead of impractical high heels in case the situation called for anything athletic.

As they drove towards the town, Natasi again adopted a relaxed pose, allowing her gaze to linger over the distant flower fields, far away. It would have been incorrect to assume that she had left all her cares behind, because for Natasi Fortan there was never an end to the worries that came with responsibility and privilege. She wondered idly about the situation on Dosuun and how Gannan was managing. No news, she thought, was probably good news. Her mind turned to the bizarre dream she had had about George, but having spoken to him and confirmed that he was well and excited to return to school, she was slightly mollified.

It hadn't been the first strange dream she had had. She had come to realize that one could take the girl out of the Netherworld, but one could never really take the Netherworld completely out of the girl. There was always a part of it that was reaching out and reaching out and reaching out. She shivered and instinctively wrapped her arms around herself, casting a glance towards Dyrn. She didn't want him to worry about her, didn't want him to be distracted from their holiday.

"All right, then, keep your secrets," she said with a wry smile in response to his remark about the surprise coming. "I won't pry. I trust that you won't take me anywhere I wouldn't want to go."

She allowed him to take her hand, impulsively weaving her fingers between his. "Let's try the molecular gastronomy one," she decided. "We can try the other another day, but I'm feeling a little adventurous today."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

"I appreciate that," Dyrn said with a smile and chuckle. "You know I would have to tell you, if you did pry. And it's less a secret, more a surprise." He raised an eyebrow, as he recalled. "I meant to ask earlier, how are the children?"

There was relief that George was well. He wondered at the teenagers sometimes, about how things might develop or change, if Natasi and he became far more serious. Granted, Dyrn hadn't had much to do with George and Reima, they each had their own lives and spent time away, but Dyrn hoped they would accept him and did worry about that. A little, at least. Natasi's opinion was what mattered, though being on favorable terms with her children would make life easier.

Ah, there it is. Ceres City.

The closer they got to city, the busier the traffic became. A number of other speeders shared the road, but it seemed to mostly be pedestrians, who walked safely on the edges of the available spaces. There was a low technology, natural feel to the community, with a large number of buildings appearing to be wood. Closer inspection revealed there were artificial panels among the buildings, likely repliwood that was more durable than most similar materials. The public spaces were clean, the facilities in good state, and for all intents and purposes appeared as a quaint small city.

The mood Dyrn received from Ceres City was relaxed. There were various species milling about, casually and calmly about their business, whether as workers of the flower fields or tourists. That was ideal for a vacation, in his opinion; a chance to escape the chaos of Government, public appearances and persistent threats to Natasi, both from internal and external forces. It was difficult to relax when a threat could come from literally anywhere, at any time, while she was in the limelight... so having the chance to be a pair of unknown humanoids on a distant planet would be a reprieve.

"Kurti'herve Cafe it is, then," Dyrn said in a low voice as he angled to the right down a street, the speeder slowing to avoid putting pedestrians in danger. He had the city layout in mind, he knew every inch of the place insofar as what maps could tell him, and recognized points as they went. He glanced to Natasi with a smile. "Please remind me to reschedule the booking at the other cafe. I thought it was better to be prepared."

Several streets more, and the speeder slowed and pulled to a stop. Dyrn cast a casual glance around the space, through the flexiglass of the speeder, as he reached for his jacket that was in the back. He familiarized himself with those around, vehicles, how sentients were acting. The Guardsman stepped out, slid on the dark jacket, then closed the door and walked around to open Natasi's passenger door. Nothing stood out to him as suspicious, as his blue-orange eyes began to shift color and balance, Dyrn's visual spectrum shifting.

"And here we are," Dyrn said as he waited for Natasi to exit, then closed the door behind her. "Would you care to eat first? Or perhaps wander the shopping district first? They are both within walking distance, in the same city area, so we can do whatever you please."

Dyrn locked and secured the speeder, before he adjusted the jacket he wore and zipped the front part-way. When Natasi was ready, he fell into step alongside her, and walked toward the desired destination...

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi considered Dyrn's question, her dark eyes looking out at the horizon without really taking it in. How were the children, really? George was -- well, George. Her firstborn was all that she could have wished: diligent, responsible, dedicated to his studies. He wasn't typically in trouble at school and he didn't give his bodyguard and companion Judicar any trouble. Her daughter, on the other hand, was an enigma to the Supreme Leader. Where George had the burden of expectations and the pressure of the social obligations that came with being Duke of Foxfield and Earl of Herevan, even without the addition of being the heir to the crown of the First Order, Natasi had never asked anything of Reima. She wanted herdaughter to have options, and not options like Natasi had had: ones that she had had to claw for herself.

But Reima didn't seem to be responding well to this style of upbringing. She had had some discipline issues at school; nothing major, of course, but things like talking back to professors or breaking curfew. Natasi had done everything she could to instill in Reima that although she was privileged, she had a responsibility to act thoughtfully with that privilege. Then again, she wanted to avoid overreacting. After all, Natasi remembered a smart remark (or several) that had been aimed at a teacher, and she remembered vividly sneaking out to catch a late train to Calavar, sneaking back in in the wee hours, and she had turned out fine.

She looked over at Dyrn. "Things were so much less complicated when they were small," she said. "I don't know when they turned into adults, but they have. They're in that stage where they're testing their limits -- George with his physical training, and Reima... " Natasi sighed softly and looked out the window again. "I worry that she's not so much testing as kicking over the traces. I wonder if I haven't done wrong by her by putting the world before her. I just never wanted her to feel like I did -- that because she has a brother who will inherit the titles and the estates that her focus should be marrying well and getting a position within capital-S Society."

The Galidraani woman chewed the inside of her cheek thoughtfully. "Too much freedom can be... too much," she said, feeling rather stupid at the tautology. "I had -- drive and ambition. I wasn't satisfied with that choice, so I did something else. Perhaps she is benefitting rather too much from the safety net of the family fortune. What most people don't think about is that until Talbot got it settled -- imagine that: he had to have it settled because even then a woman could do nothing about it -- there was no Fortan family fortune that I could fall back on. It all went -- the title, the money, Herevan -- lock, stock and barrel to some distant cousin. I had my inheritance but it wasn't -- well, let's just say it would not have been enough to bankroll a failure. I had to succeed. There was no alternative."

Natasi shook her head. "I wish I could ask my mother: when do you know there's trouble? When do you know when something is an act of teenage rebellion and when it's a serious problem? By the Balance, I've negotiated galactic-scale wars that were more ambiguous." She paused as the speeder eased to a halt. "Sorry, you got rather more than you bargained for with that question." She allowed Dyrn to help her out of the speeder and waited as he secured it. "I think we should eat first. That way we're not leaving groceries in the sun, even in a speeder, don't you think?"

When they had been seated, Natasi ordered herself a local specialty beverage, some kind of lemonade-type drink infused with the local flora. "Now that you asked that," she continued, her voice lowered. They were at a semi-secluded table, but she still didn't want to be overheard. "I guess I should ask. Should things... progress in that way," Natasi said diplomatically, looking up towards the ceiling as she reached up to adjust her earring carefully, "I should ask what you envision your role in their lives being. It is a tough age, I think, to enter as a step-parent. I don't want you to feel pressured one way or another, but I'm curious about your thoughts."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

While Dyrn didn't have the same degree of personal experience, being childless, he could understand the statement Natasi made. Smaller children, smaller problems, less comprehension of the world and more of an internal focus on their lives. But, as they aged, so did the understanding of things around them, and the natural draw to experience and learn more. He could only imagine the stress of having offspring out and about in the galaxy, especially with the inherent dangers and threats that were persistent. It made Dyrn think about his sister, Faroe, who was closer to the core worlds...

"I have heard that being a parent is the slow process of letting your children go," Dyrn said in a sombre tone, his blue-orange eyes glanced to Natasi. He didn't want to dampen the mood, of course, but there was some truth to the statement. "It will happen, either way. But I think, in time, once the teenage years have passed, they will appreciate what you have done for them. Reima, especially, being given her freedom to find that place in the galaxy. They just can't appreciate that yet, because they're living it... or so I imagine."

The Galidraani culture had always seemed old fashioned to Dyrn. Some parts were suitable to a civil society, while other parts seemed very archaic and out of touch. The hindrances of a family fortune, as Natasi explained, was one of those archaic notions to him. Fortunately for Natasi, she was intelligent, driven and undeterred by the presence of obstacles or problems. It was a large part of why Dyrn felt how he did about her. She was an unrelenting force of nature, one that would see anything her mind settled on to fruition, against all odds... and he deeply respected that. And when Natasi mentioned her want of her mother to talk to, about the children and their behavior, Dyrn reached up to scratch his ear:

"If... if you would care for it," He started, unsure if he was overstepping. "You could speak with my mother? She has experience, especially with a pair of children vastly different in every way." Dyrn shook his head as they moved to leave the speeder, regarding the apology about what was shared. "No, no apology needed, I like when you feel free to share and discuss things on your mind with me. It's part of what I'm here for, after all. And yes, lunch before groceries makes sense, shall we?"

Before long, the pair were seated in the cafe. The sights were interesting, the smells even more so, and the menu read like a complex form of Bothan spy language. Still, there were holopics that accompanied the dishes, so some idea could be gained of what one might expect. The cafe was very stark, clinical almost, with a minimalist approach to the decor and layout. Tables were inter-spaced at length, possibly to allow room for flourish or flair, or simply to allow more privacy... yet, judging by the nearby foam volcano of a dish on a serving tray, as a small family watched the expansive colored mass flow onto plates, perhaps it was the former.

"Well, this could prove interesting," Dyrn said, somewhat to himself, as he raised his eyebrows and turned to look at Natasi. "Food volcano."

Several moments later, one of the servers stopped at the table. Natasi ordered a drink, which sounded pleasant. "Could you make that two, please?" Dyrn added after Natasi had ordered her drink, a type of lemonade infused with flora. "And we'll need a few minutes to look over the menu, thank you." The alien server nodded and noted the initial beverage order on a small pad with several swipes of long fingers on the digital surface. It turned and continued over to another table, leaving the humanoids alone again.

Hm?

Natasi wanted to ask something, Dyrn could see it in her eyes. He remained silent, browsing the menu pad, until she felt comfortable to ask.

Oh, I see.

Dyrn took a moment, as he placed the menu down on the table, his thoughts gathering into some semblance of answer. He would be lying if he said he hadn't considered the question, mostly to be prepared should the subject be brought up, and he felt his answer was appropriate. Hopefully Natasi would feel the same way:

"I... I want to be whatever the children want from me," Dyrn said slowly. He offered a small smile. "I do not expect to be called father or even acknowledged, if they don't want it. All I know, is that - should things go that way - I will be there to keep them safe as I do with you. I have no intention of replacing anyone, or stampeding into their lives." Dyrn offered a small shrug, as he raised his eyebrows. It wasn't intended as dismissive, more casually accepting. "However, if the children do feel comfortable accepting me as... well... then I won't shy away from that, and will do everything I can to be that for them."

Movement nearby caused Dyrn to glance. The drinks appeared via server not long after, and were placed down on the table. The waiter paused, large eyes on the menu, as if to prompt if it was time to place an order. The timing was... interesting, since no doubt Natasi wanted to respond, or so Dyrn assumed she might. It seemed best to deal with the server quickly, then, and to move back to the private discussion:

"Ah, impeccable timing. Just quickly, I saw an interesting option, if you're interested?" Dyrn asked, bringing the discussion back to the cafe for a moment. "A popular option on the menu, a taste platter that showcases a number of dishes... perhaps an opportunity to see what we like or don't?"

The server nodded and spoke in Basic with some minimal difficulty. "Yes, very popular for tourist."

"If the lady agrees, we'll try the platter."

The server waited for confirmation from Natasi, before any orders were finalized, or adjusted, then continued on to other tables. Dyrn looked back to Natasi and smiled as he took a sip of the drink. It fizzled for half a second on his lip, then the taste changed from a citrus to a floral as it passed over the tongue. Still, Dyrn brought the discussion back:

"I hope that is what you are comfortable with, Natasi," He said as he put the glass down. "I just want to avoid stepping on your family's dynamic as much as possible. Adapting to the children's wants seems the best course, to having a long relationship... I could be wrong? I'm not sure, honestly, this is very new to me."

However, there was also something Dyrn wanted to ask. He waited for Natasi, then looked down at their table for a moment when there was a lull in the conversation. He knew that Natasi was a driven individual, someone who achieved and was a leader...

"I did want to ask, should things go that way," Dyrn alluded to the same event she had not minutes earlier. "How long do you see the First Order being a priority in your life? Not to suggest a choice between one or the other, of course. I was just... curious, as it were, about when you might feel you've accomplished enough to allow others to lead the fore? And what that might entail, perhaps a future ambassador or councilor position? Or something else entirely?"

Dyrn would never step on Natasi's ambition. He knew that was part of her, as she knew she couldn't stop him protecting her with every fiber of his being. He was simply interested in knowing the next phase - whenever it happened, in weeks or years or decades from now - might be for Natasi Fortan... or if she had even considered that herself.

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi studied the menu, her dark eyes narrowing slightly at the different options. Although the menu was in basic, the combination of terms within seemed foreign to her. Perhaps there were translation issues, or perhaps this type of cuisine was just far enough outside her comfort zone that the concepts felt out of place. It was going to be quite an adventure, and she was relieved when Dyrn made a suggestion. It relieved her of the need to puzzle through the descriptions and worry about what it all meant. Besides, it would do her good to try new things.

"The platter will do nicely," Natasi said. She waited for the waiter to shuffle off before relaxing her posture again. She took a sip of the beverage. It was more interesting than it was pleasant, but she had to admit that it quenched her thirst quite effectively. As she sipped, she considered her companion's words carefully, surprising herself with a conclusion that she drew in examining his words.

"Do you know," she said conversationally, in a tone lighter than she felt, "I don't really know what our family dynamic is. I adore my children -- really -- but our lifestyle has never been the traditional family unit, even by Galidraani standards. There was, for instance, the time I spent being dead. But even before that, and since, we seem to exist in different worlds." She knitted her fingers together around her glass, looking down at the drink, shimmering with the essence of the florals. "My hope is that they will come to see you as I do: indispensable. But they're their own people. Perhaps anticipating a parental relationship is not realistic, given their ages."

She settled into a thoughtful silence for a few moments. Her mind lingered on her family, the micro and macro of which had been in various states of disarray since her mother died. Natasi had thought that her marriage to Talbot Vitalis would have stabilized things. His influence had put Herevan in Natasi's hands (as it always should have been, in her estimation) and they had completed their duty in producing an heir and spare for both Foxfield and Herevan. But even then, George's legacy wasn't settled. The influence of duplicitous and disowned ex-members of the family was now in a running gun battle with the influence of upstarts in the New Imperial Order and the genocidal lunatics of the Bryn'adul for being the strongest and most disastrous threats to Galidraan.

Dyrn's question pulled her out of the spiral of worry about it George's position. Her eyebrows shot up, as if the question itself was shocking to hear. In that unguarded moment, the question felt like an accusation. She looked into Dyrn's eyes, wondering -- not for the first time -- whether the superhuman visual spectrum gave him the ability to see her thoughts and feelings in a way that other mere mortals could not. "I can't imagine what you're describing," Natasi said finally. "You might have asked me when I would consider giving up being George's mother. When I... came back," she said with some difficulty, her eyes lowering again. "When I was offered the crown, I said -- I promised that my whole life, whether it is long or short, would be dedicated to the service of the First Order and its people. To abdicate that responsibility would be... unthinkable. It's not what we do," she said earnestly. "Fortans, that is. True Fortans, at any rate."

She hesitated and lifted her eyes back to Dyrn from beneath her lids and lashes. "Should the First Order decide -- through a resolution in Parliament, I imagine, or the Moff Council -- that my services would be surplus to requirements..." Natasi's neck stiffened at this and she looked away, as if at something catching her attention across the restaurant, but there was nothing but an empty chair where she looked now. The thought was distressing on some level, and Natasi knew herself well enough to know that it would be a rejection she would take deeply personally. "...well, I suppose I would have no choice but to go quietly. I have never had a thought to conquest or reigning for the sake of ruling. But if you mean -- giving it up when I sitll have something to offer -- I can't imagine it. In fact, I've had several Orders-in-Council drawn up, one of which formalizes the succession. George and his children, then Reima, then -- " A slight falter there before she swallowed and added: " -- any other children I may have."

Natasi took another sip of her drink. "This is probably rather putting the cart before the horse -- as they say in Herevan -- but I suppose we really ought to talk about it while we have the chance, while we have clear heads about us. To the extent that we do, anyway," she said, trying to inject a bit of humor with an arched eyebrow and a dry smirk. "If my life is a life of service, then so would be the life of anyone I would be with. And that service would be of a different kind, officially, to the work you do now. You wouldn't be the head of my royal guard but my consort. Your life would be very different to what it is now. More... public. Now, I'm not concerned about your background or your past -- and not just because there were certainly checks done before you were appointed to my detail, but because I trust you implicitly. But that's quite a different thing to living in the public glare. To being photographed and broadcast and published and gossiped about."

She looked over at him again. "It's... a lot to ask," Natasi said. "People look at us -- leaders, or rulers if one is feeling less charitable -- and they see the palaces and coronations and the parades and they think that's all it is. Power and privilege. They don't see the responsibility. I know you do. But it's quite different, to see it and to be under it. Are you ready for that? Beyond even being ready for it, is it something you are willing to undertake?"

Natasi wondered idly whether the question he had posed to her was connected to the question she had posed to him. Whether he had seen what life would be like and wanted to know how much of it he would have to endure. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, she thought. Besides, frank honesty was crucial here. "Is that -- why you asked how long I planned to be at it, so to speak? To know how long your sentence would be if..." Her question was interrupted by the return of the waiter with their platter and two plates, the former of which he placed at the center of the table before putting one of each of the latter before Dyrn and Natasi.

Once they were left alone once more, the Supreme Leader turned her attention back to her companion, her gaze gently inquisitive.

Last edited:
ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

The platter it would be, then. Choice made, the server walked away and placed the order.

Meanwhile, Dyrn turned his attention to Natasi fully again, as she began to elaborate on the family. It was true that the Fortans were a unique sort, in that there were so many more considerations and traditions involved in being part of the family, and as the differences between Natasi's and Dyrn's were expressed, it left the Guardsman to wonder. Perhaps the concern over the children - or truly young adults - was simply not that great a concern? As mentioned, both George and Reima were their own people, leading independent lives, on their own trajectories that for all intents and purposes seemed to be in different directions:

Maybe that life development is worth allowing to continue as it would, Dyrn thought. With my part being simply reactive, should interest to know me be there? I believe that's the best course for now.

There were also the galactic considerations, as the homeworld of the Fortans was in a state of flux, and none could predict how events might transpire in the coming few years. Between the upper-class of Galidraan society vying for every morsel they could get in their little grasping fingers, to the New Imperial Empire cutting a swathe through the region, and the destructive forces that encroached from the south with disastrous intent, it was like a malfunctioning hyperdrive waiting to reach critical mass.

It could be entirely possible that George has his birthright snatched from under him, by so many possible sources. Or even put into considerable danger, should he take up the position, and face so many of those threats.

The silence allowed both to think, it seemed. Thoughtful expression was behind those dark brown eyes, though the same could be said for Dyrn's blue-orange ones. His question about the First Order had been made with curiosity, mainly, though he listened and nodded as Natasi explained her stance on the matter. Understandably there was a continuous draw to leadership for Natasi Fortan, certainly something of a sense of responsibility, a determination to uphold a principal to something far more than the individual, and it wasn't unexpected an answer.

I would expect nothing less, if I am being honest.

Dyrn could understand that, very much; his own life had been dedicated to an ideal, a purpose of service, long before he had had the capacity to fully realize it with the mental capacity of an adult. His father had set him on a path, and it had been Dyrn's task to follow, though there had never been animosity or regret in how things had turned out. Especially given the luck of being in the position to sit opposite the woman across from him, and to have her favor. Dyrn hadn't thought such a thing could happen, but he definitely appreciated the challenges and turns in life that led to the moment.

Even when Natasi continued, as the conversation topic shifted, and possibilities of what might transpire to cause a shift in position within the First Order, there was a belief in Dyrn that Natasi would still be very involved. Though, knowing there were succession plans in place was good to know, though the mention of other children... that caused the Keshian to glance down for a moment, before he reached for the glass and took a drink. As Natasi had said it, there had been a mixture of excitement and weight, as the realization was that they were - quite possibly - on the same wavelengths when it came to a shared future, and while Dyrn didn't want to count the Mynocks before they hatched, he was a little relieved to know that Natasi seemed open to... well, more children.

Then a more practical topic, that of a consort. A notion that still concerned Dyrn, not because of the idea of marriage, but simply because he dreaded not being what Natasi might need in that relationship. He was trained in how to act, certainly, but there was so much more to it than that - so many small details, idiosyncrasies, he wasn't aware of or knew about that were learned over a lifetime being groomed for such a position. Would Dyrn be able to learn? He suspected so, he was capable of that. But could he learn quickly enough, step into that whole other style of living, into that new and confusing realm of high class intrigue and political machination... it was a daunting prospect.

But the thought of marriage to Natasi was not.

"I am aware my responsibilities and expectations would change, drastically in most respects, with marriage," Dyrn said in response, slowly, as he put his thoughts into a cohesive response. There was nothing wrong with taking a moment, since it seemed an important one, and he wanted to say his thoughts correctly. "I can assure you there is nothing I am hiding that hasn't already been shared. And being publicly judged, scrutinized, I have had some level of experience with that... granted, from behind the lens of an armored helmet. If I'm honest, I dare to say that perhaps the hardest part for me would be working out who I am, away from the Royal Guard, and pursuing new life goals. Of which I am happy to do, I might add - adapt and overcome, it's how I have been raised, so I do not fear change."

Dyrn smiled, as his eyebrows raised. He tried not to focus on the change in tense, he figured they were comfortable by this point, and it had been somewhat unconscious on his behalf.

"I do know some of the responsibility, the thoughts of the out looking in, and the expectations you - and other leaders - have are similar to my experiences already, albeit from a sidelong perspective. That said, I want you to truly know-" Dyrn reached out, his hand for hers. "-I would be, and am, willing to do whatever you ask of me. Not because of obligation, or service, or expectation... but because I choose to. In every respect. And, should our lives join that way, I will do my best to be what you need me to be, while also becoming the person I want to be alongside you.

"So, yes, it would be something I am willing - and happy - to undertake."

There was another pause, then Natasi asked about the earlier question. About whether he considered life with her, in a position as political leader, a sentence to see the end of. Dyrn chuckled, and shook his head, as he eased back in his chair and again grabbed the glass to take a drink. He thought back to his words, and supposed he could see how that inclination might be perceived. The waiter returned, however, before Dyrn could respond and placed the platter with the assortment of food before the pair. Once they were gone, Dyrn looked back to Natasi:

"No, no, not at all," Dyrn said as he placed the glass down. He kept a small smile on his lips. "I asked, because I was curious where you saw life and responsibility in years time, and I have my answer. I don't see being with you as any penance or sentence, far from it. In truth, I was wondering how long it might be until I could have you to myself... I know, selfish. However, given I understand your need to pursue goals and adhere to tradition and supposition of who you are, I would remain content to share you with the galaxy. Though I hope trips like this one might be regular."

Dyrn's expression shifted, something more serious.

"I would never make you choose between me or the other. I respect you too much, care for you too much, to put you in that position. Whatever you choose to do, I will be there, to your right."

There was a moment of relief, Dyrn supposed, as he was able to put into words his stance in it all. He would never hinder Natasi's journey, he would converge with it, and join it to help her through it. And even if their focuses or responsibilities were different - she as a leader, he as a consort to a leader - he liked to hope that she knew he would follow her, all the while discovering himself beyond the man in the armor next to the Supreme Leader... and that latter prospect seemed far more difficult than supporting the woman he loved.

"Would that be... acceptable, for you? I admit, I would need your support as much as you have mine, to learn what I need to, in order to not embarrass you or show my lack of royal upbringing. Is that something you are willing to persevere through? I have not been groomed for such a position, and... well..."

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi smiled confidentially and reached across the table to put her hand over Dyrn's. "You really are very sweet sometimes, did you know that?" Some people would be put off or even annoyed by Natasi's fastidiousness where her reputation was concerned. The image of propriety had been one of the cornerstones upon which her popularity with the First Order's citizenry was built. It comforted people to know that no matter what else, there was someone working on their behalf who didn't let things get out of hand, who took it all very seriously when others charged with responsibility were cavorting with pop stars or being comically evil or play-acting being a Mandalorian warrior.

"You will always have my support, come what may. And we'll find a way together," she told him genuinely, squeezing his hand briefly before relinquishing it to pick up her knife and fork. She began to sample the food.

For Natasi, the unknown was something uncomfortable. For a woman who had been exposed to more than her fair share of the mysteries of the universe, she still felt discomfited by things that were outside of her control and outside of her knowledge. But she supposed that in the company of Dyrn Grav, whose instincts she had always been able to rely on, there was really not much that could hurt her. They would find a path, together, through the uncertainty, slowly building a path, brick by brick.

It would be with bittersweet irony that Natasi would, in years to come, reflect back on this conversation with painful irony. It was not Dyrn Grav who introduced uncertainty into her life, nor was it he whose missteps would throw her from her picture-perfect perch and throne. But in the moment, Natasi simply tried to enjoy the squeamish feelings of uncertainty and affection.

"I may be a toffee-nosed snob," she conceded, "but even I was not raised for the throne. Nor was George, really. I was raised to marry a Galidraani landowner and get out of the way so my brother could run Herevan. Not exactly the training needed to be a true head of state to reign and to rule. Perhaps your upbringing equips you better for some aspects of the role. Military strategy, for instance, tactics, whatnot." She took a bite of her food. It was odd but not unpleasant so far. "Luckily, George has the benefit of Major Judicar's interest and attention. I hope what I lack in military training and strategy he will have by virtue of his training with the Major."

And if push came to shove and Reima had to take the throne...

Natasi didn't want to think about that. She took another sip of her drink. "What do you think of the food?" she asked. "How does it compare to Galidraani pub-grub?"

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn liked when Natasi smiled. He returned her expression with his own smile. Her touch was electric to him, as hands touched, and he listened to the compliment. The mention of support was very welcome, and the confirmation that they would find a way together, which made Dyrn feel more at ease and caused his worries to lessen. When Natasi began to taste some of the food, Dyrn did the same, picking his way through unique and interesting arrangement of foods that looked very unlike what was expected.

When Natasi went on to explain her purpose growing up, to which Dyrn raised his eyebrows, and revealed she had been intended as a landowner's wife, he could only tilt his head slightly. Had it not come from Natasi herself, he would have found it hard to believe, and yet... in response, while she finished the explanation, Dyrn took another bite of something that crackled on his tongue for several moments. When it passed, he spoke.

"Well... I feel you sit on the throne effortlessly, and appear suited to the position like bird to flying, for what it's worth," Dyrn said simply, as he looked to Natasi. The mention of Major Judicar brought back a range of memories for the Guardsman, the former having been something of a prototype for the program Dyrn himself had entered. He wondered at how the older soldier was doing, considering Judicar had essentially become First Order-adjacent with his new position solely as a bodyguard for Natasi's son and heir. "Judicar, yes... I haven't thought about him in a long time. He was spoken about by some instructors during my time at the academy, mostly in passing or as an example of expectation, but I've never met the man. George is in good hands, undoubtedly."

And as for the mention of Dyrn's own upbringing probably preparing him more so for such a social position, or something near it, he could only smirk and offer a small shrug.

"Perhaps. Hopefully we will see... at the very least, I can mostly handle what brusque enemies might throw at us. I will have to learn the more subtle signs from you, though."

Dyrn noted the lack of tenses in the conversation. It was nice. Then, refocused on the meal, Dyrn settled on trying a small bubble-like piece of food. With a frown, Dyrn turned a food over in his mouth before the thing popped and released a small wave of liquid cool. The taste wasn't offensive, but the portion was peculiar, and it likely would take more tasting to eventually grow to enjoy the sensation. He suspected it was more about the hot and cold than anything. Still, he looked back to the platter and furrowed his eyebrows as he considered what he dare try next, even as Natasi asked what he thought of it all.

"I admit to having trouble enjoying the platter as a meal," Dyrn said slowly, as he poked his fork at a tube of pasta-like length. A cylinder, with stuffing. He brought it to his plate, then looked to Natasi. "It is a fun experiment, seeing what each mouthful could be... so there is that, I suppose."

With the edge of the utensil, Dyrn cut the cylinder into bite-sized pieces, before he put the first section into his mouth. He was greeted with what tasted like a seafood cocktail, likely from the stuffing inside, which seemed flavored to taste. He finished that, then took the next part, and was surprised - even pleasantly - by a meaty flavor. It reminded him of the pub-grub, funnily enough. The final part was expected, as he took that bit in his mouth, and tasted a sweet dessert-like stuffing.

"Hm, interesting," The Keshian muttered, as he swallowed and reached for his glass. He took a sip to rinse his mouth taste. "That one was like a whole three course meal in one tube. Quite enjoyable. Nothing like the real thing, though, especially the steak flavor... your Galidraani pub still beats this out for taste."

With a clear of his throat, Dyrn sat back and wiped at his mouth with a napkin, before he glanced through the windows to outside the restaurant. The afternoon was getting on, but he couldn't deny enjoying his time with Natasi in the dining setting, so he decided to dip back into the platter for a bit longer and try some odds and ends. He would wait for Natasi to finish, before he did the same. So, in the meantime, he raised his eyebrows and asked:

"So... as we have been discussing possibilities and considerations, and if it is not too confronting... could I ask how you might see a wedding for yourself and groom? Traditions to be included, perhaps? Certain decorations or design?"

Dyrn was curious.

For reasons.

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi's face was a journey as she sampled the food. None of it tasted bad but the combination of textures and flavors was completely foreign to the Galidraani woman whose palate was, after all, fairly conventional. There was a floral overtone to everything, which made it taste as if it had been dusted by perfume. She watched as Dyrn consumed the tube, her eyebrows furrowing as he described the experience. "How... interesting," she said diplomatically.

Natasi hoped that they could find something more -- mainstream -- at the shops to prepare for dinner. Adventure was one thing, and they would do plenty of it, but Natasi had to draw a line somewhere. She much preferred to smell and admire flowers rather than eat and drink them. Still, she was a good sport, and continued to work through what she had on her plate. No one would be able to accuse her of not embracing the experience.

When he asked her about weddings, she flushed slightly and took a sip of her drink. "I suppose a lot would depend on the groom," she said thoughtfully. "When I married Talbot, he was quite hands-off. I suppose that is a Galidraani tradition in itself: the bride must have it all her own way. They can be rather extravagant affairs back home, but I really wanted a simple service at the church in Herevan where my parents married. Of course, there was a war on, so it wasn't feasible. Still, the Temple of the Balance in Avalonia was quite something back then. There are worse places to get married."

"Talbot," she said after a moment's reflection, "was not an Equilibriate. His family was monotheistic, believing in a single all-seeing, all-knowing, all-benevolent God. But he wasn't fussed." A smile crossed her lips, colored by a tinge of sadness. Their marriage had never been the most demonstrative, had not been the stuff of great romance novels or holofilms, but they had loved each other, each in their own way. She had never felt for Talbot the way she had felt for -- well, other men in her life, and now Dyrn -- but they had made a good partnership, got along well, understood each other in ways that the others might never. As Galidraani aristocrats, they had a shared cultural lexicon, a kind of shorthand. In some ways, it was easier. In other ways, it was a lot of work.

"At any rate, there are -- for me -- very few non-negotiables," Natasi said as she looked up at Dyrn. "A white dress. A blessing from an Equilibriate clergyman. And, of course, cake at the wedding breakfast. Second weddings are rare among my people," she went on to add. "Divorce is still rather a taboo among the Galidraani aristocracy -- not counting a certain former member of my family, who I think is responsible for at least thirty percent of divorces among the peers of the realm in the last century -- and so it's mostly limited to widows and widowers. White dresses were once a symbol of virginity and virtue, but now they are essentially de rigueur for society weddings."

The Supreme Leader took another sip of her drink. "Other than that, it's fair game. Flowers but no specific kind is required. I'm rather partial to lilies, but that's not a dealbreaker." A slender hand draped casually over Dyrn's, and her head tilting coquettishly to one side. "And for you? Do Keshians have any particular traditions? Or even your family traditions? Tell me you have a scrapbook somewhere that lays out your dream wedding. I would have but it was basically my parents' wedding album. Golly, I don't know which is worse: that I'm dull or that I'm just that conventional."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn eased into the chair as he listened, blue-orange eyes intent with his concentration as he did so, and focused on Natasi fully. He wanted to hear her thoughts about weddings, marriage, and whatever that might entail. The knowledge of Natasi's religious beliefs was known, so it was little surprise to hear about the want to have held the ceremony to Talbot in a church, with Herevan being the obvious place. Dyrn momentarily reflected on the current state of those holdings, of Galidraan, and wondered at how things might look - politically, mostly - in time. While he wasn't one to put the mynock before the electrical cable, Dyrn liked to think that - again, in time - he might be able help Natasi have that wedding; still, there didn't seem to be disappointment in the Avalonia ceremony, either, so perhaps Herevan was more an ideal and less an expectation.

The conversation was linked to religion, which wasn't a problem for Dyrn, as he continued to listen. Natasi explained some of her passed husband's beliefs, his family's also, and the stance on the bride taking charge with ceremony preparations. For his own part, Dyrn wasn't very religious, if at all, though he did believe in 'something' even if that remained unrealized in a shared or communicated capacity. His mother loosely practiced her beliefs, having sensibilities for the Cosmic Balance, but she was hardly the type to attend gatherings regularly; and his father, well...

Nonetheless, Natasi started to mention some non-negotiables, which seemed perfectly acceptable to Dyrn. A white dress, while not uncommon for a Keshian, an Equilibriate clergyman's blessing and a wedding cake. Quite simple, traditional by Galidraani standards he understood, and completely accommodating to any number of cultural matching. Dyrn spared a thought for those species out there that had strict expectations, and could only imagine some of the problems that could come from that, before he chuckled at the quip from Natasi about one member of her family and divorce.

"I see," Dyrn said as he learned a little more about the reasoning behind white dresses for the Galidraani. "It sounds like a pleasant tradition, both simple yet beautiful. I imagine the dresses can range in design, so seeing extraordinarily made ones shouldn't surprise? And those non-negotiables sound very reasonable."

She wanted lilies, specifically, for the occasion; he would remember that.

"A scrapbook? For weddings?" Dyrn laughed, as he played with Natasi's fingers with his own, gently rubbing and absently drawing patterns that held no meaning beyond pleasantly tickling. "Sorry to disappoint, but no, sadly nothing so well put together for me... my father must of missed that lesson, when I was being prepared for the military. Should I make one?" Though his smile lessened as he added. "And there is nothing wrong with convention. Many sentients see something like that as honoring those before. Also, I do not see you as dull, in any respect.

"And as for me..."

Dyrn thought for a moment, hesitant to mention a tradition sometimes used by his species, as he didn't want to disappoint Natasi or cause there to be any question of whether it could be fulfilled. Though, after several moments, he decided to share as it was something personal he wanted her to know...

"There is a tradition that some of my species use. It involves what we call a werv, for marriages. The closest comparison I can think of, uh, would be something like a knitted blanket... but not quite that large, with one made by each of the pair, which you presented to your future spouse during the ceremony." Dyrn smiled then looked down briefly, before he continued and cleared his throat. "The werv is made of luminescent weaving, with patterns knitted throughout that reflect the couple's journey as a couple until that point... not every Keshian does it, of course, though my parents did."

With a pause, Dyrn took a sip of his drink, then continued. "As you know, our eyes can see the patterns on different visual spectrums, so each werv is unique to the maker. My father's was... simple, but honest. My mother's - in comparison - was quite intricate and spectacular, large enough to have been placed across the foot of their bed for many years now. Some of the dye has faded, but it still shows the care she took to make it." Dyrn chuckled as he recalled, his eyes absently looking away as he thought of the memory. "I remember being told, when I was about nine, that mother saw my father's werv as the exact embodiment of himself - precise, guardedly expressive and appropriate to a soldier. So, she cherished it, even if it wasn't as intricate as her own."

Dyrn lightly shrugged.

"Beyond that..." And with his eyes refocused on Natasi, Dyrn rubbed at his chin for a moment. "I cannot think of much in the way of ceremonial specifics for my species or culture. Even my own family has little in the way of traditions, no real expectations, so long as whomever I marry I love and she loves me in return. I do suspect my mother will approve of your clergyman blessing, though, she is somewhat religious and believes in the Balance... though I am not, necessarily, I should add. Though I have no issue or concern with my future spouse being so or practicing that belief."

That had been more than Dyrn had shared about his family to someone else in a long time.

Ever the consummate soldier, just as my parent wanted. I'm surprised I even have thoughts on the topic nowadays. I like that Natasi makes me think about more than my profession...

Dyrn would definitely need to become more than a soldier, if he and Natasi married, certainly.

"So, yes, I don't have much in the way of non-negotiables, if any. Just a handwoven gift for my wife-to-be," Dyrn glanced down and smirked. "Though, I am afraid I have revealed yet another secret about myself... yes, I am able to weave. Quips, be kind."

From the look of it, the pair had reached the end of the luncheon, though Dyrn didn't want to disrupt other queries or questions from Natasi on the subject should she want to know anything else. So, he waited, hand with hers, and waited to hear what she thought...

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi's smile grew broader the more Dyrn talked about the wedding traditions of his people. "I would never quip about someone having a skill. I don't weave, so I would have no room to criticize. I don't even knit. Women of my class were expected to have some kind of domestic skill, so I did needlepoint for a time, but luckily there have been other things to take up my time since I left home." Running a government, for instance, and waging a war. Marriage and children. Death. Raising orchids. All preferable to the constant finger-pricking and tedium of needlepoint.

As the lunch drew to its conclusion, Natasi caught the eye of the server who brought the check. Natasi had changed some currency and so she was able to peel off the right number of bills to pay the check and leave a reasonable tip. "We ought to give them back the table," she murmured. "Besides, the sooner we get the shopping done, the sooner we can go back to the cottage. I feel rather daring talking so openly in public -- but of course, no one here knows who we are or cares." She dropped her voice down for this last statement, for what could draw more interest than suggesting that it was warranted?

Natasi collected herself, looping the handles of her handbag over her forearm as she stood. They exited the restaurant into the warm early afternoon sun, and the Supreme Leader tucked a pair of sunglasses on and carefully adjusted her bracelet. "It's nice weather for a walk," she suggested to Dyrn. "The shops are only the next block over. What do you say?"

It was rather thrilling, actually, to do the weekly shop for herself. These things were handled for her by others now, the staff at the hotel or at Herevan. Even the ship was stocked by her staff, based on what they believed her preferences to be if she didn't leave specific instructions. As a consequence of seeing it first-hand herself, Natasi was perhaps more adventurous than she would ordinarily have been, impulsively taking brightly-colored boxes or packages with intriguing descriptions off the shelves of the market. There would be plenty of snacks for sure, some favored varietals of wine joined native types. Obviously, she encouraged her companion to take anything that took his fancy.

Natasi was a deer in the headlights at the checkout stand when it became clear that she would be responsible for packaging it all up. She was sure she was holding up the line as she packed the groceries carefully into the paper bags, occasionally pulling an item out to replace it with another. As they left, laden with bags, Natasi glanced over at Dyrn, equally embarrassed and pleased. "That was more complicated than I considered," she admitted. "Perhaps I am not as 'in-touch' a monarch as I'd like to think. Still, what is a holiday for if not trying new things?"

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Thankfully weaving didn't warrant jokes. Though Dyrn would never have taken Natasi's words in malice, so even some ribbing would have been fine for him, truthfully. And with the lunch paid for, with non-traceable notes as they agreed, the meal was done and shopping for groceries was next. The suggestion to walk, rather than take the speeder to the shops, was a good one and Dyrn saw no issue.

"A walk sounds good, agreed," Dyrn said, and no sooner the pair were once again in the warm sunlight, amid the easy-going town. He glanced toward Natasi, with a smile. "Relaxing works for you, I think. You're radiant."

The shops came into view soon enough, and before long they were amid the aisles of produce and stock. Natasi went to task, collecting items, and Dyrn continued to smile as he followed her. For his own choice, he picked some items. They were simple, really. Some bottles of Riesling, or the closest equivalent the town had, some meat jerky and a flavored bottle of fizzwater. Nothing overly special, really, Dyrn could be considered a simple man in that regard. Still, the experience of doing such a mundane thing with Natasi was very enjoyable, something the pair had little-to-no opportunity otherwise to do. So he made sure to take it all in, because he had no idea when it might happen again.

The checkout? She seems intent on leading the charge...

Dyrn was amused as he watched Natasi handle the grocery process. It was equally funny and endearing, when one took into account that - as Supreme Leader - she likely hadn't done this task herself in a long while. If at all. Still, Natasi was determined it seemed, so Dyrn didn't step in and offer to take over; and no sooner had the bags been packed, with some minute repacking on her part, than the pair were ready to leave. This time the tall sentient did take active participation, as he collected most of the paper bags in both hands and arms, and proceeded to follow Natasi out of the shops.

"I think you did quite well," Dyrn said with a smirk, as he resisted a laugh. "I bet no one suspected a monarch was in their midst, at all."

Once back to the speeder, Dyrn unlocked the vehicle and loaded the bags. He took the bags from Natasi and placed them, likewise, in the trunk. As his companion entered the speeder, the Guardsman took several moments to survey the area, as his eyes moved between the sentients around; he visually scanned faces, some of the closer vehicle makes and models, and set them to memory for the drive to come. He shrugged off his dark jacket, then with an effort he slid into the speeders driver seat, started the ignition, and pulled from the parking spot into the lazy traffic of the town.

"See those birds in the distance," Dyrn said absently, as he made for the long road that led out toward the cottage. He pointed with a free hand, the other on the wheel. "They are actually two times larger than the speeder. Not native, they cause all kinds of problems for the tenders, because they eat vegetation. Nu'rals... impressive beings."

The journey back was just as grand and beautiful as the first time, and after traversing the expanses between fields and small roads, the cottage was in sight. Dyrn pulled up and brought the speeder to a stop, before he glanced to Natasi - "One moment." - and stepped out. With his eyesight on changing spectrums, he scanned the surroundings, but saw nothing out of place; and follow up inspection of the cottage revealed no intrusion, and the door sensor remained untouched or unaffected, which the Guardsman retrieved from the upper frame. A quick check of the interior showed no signs of intrusion, either.

Dyrn returned to the speeder.

"I can carry he bags in," Dyrn smiled and opened the speeder door for Natasi, before he rounded to the back and opened the trunk. The paper bags weren't heavy, he could handle them well enough. "If the lady would like to head inside and make herself at home? I won't be a few minutes."

And with the items collected, Dyrn used his elbow the close the trunk, then locked the speeder with the sensor between two fingers. He walked back to the cottage and walked through to the kitchen area, before he placed the paper bags filled with groceries on the counter. Some bent, one almost toppled from shifting with the drive, but he caught it and began to unpack. He hummed to himself, as he began to put the foodstuff away, aware of Natasi nearby, but otherwise focusing on the task. He called out...

"Everything all right?"

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi followed Dyrn's sight line out to where some small birds darted this way and that over the fields nearby. "Yes," she answered, lowering the rim of her sunglasses and leaning forward to get a closer look. When he told her that the birds were, in fact, not small and darting over nearby fields, but massive. Twice the side of the speeder -- and this wasn't a compact speeder, but rather one from the premium class of the rental. Although Natasi and the rental provisioners were of two minds about what constituted 'premium' where vehicles were concerned, it was certainly a decently sized vehicle, which made the implication that the birds in the distance were double its size somewhat terrifying.

"You're joking," she breathed, leaning back in the seat again. She resisted the impulse to double-check her seatbelt. "Do they eat people, too? Or just -- plants?"

It was a good thing that they were so far away, but still, Natasi kept a wary eye on them until the birds disappeared from her view.

When they arrived at the cabin, Natasi waited in the car for Dyrn to do his thing. They had spent enough time together that the Supreme Leader knew what was expected. There was a time that Natasi had chafed under the demands of her security detail. Many were the discussions -- which Natasi refused to classify as arguments because it was a sign of ill breeding to argue with the staff -- about whether Natasi could walk there or see that or visit that building on a whim. It turned out that being the head of the Supreme Leader's government as Grand Moff meant you were in charge of basically everyone but yourself.

Being Supreme Leader wasn't that much different in that regard.

She knew better than to argue about the parcels, so she simply thanked Dyrn and squeezed his arm before going inside. She shrugged out of her jacket and hung it on the hook by the door. A glance at her wristwatch told her that she would probably have the first of the day's dispatches from the ministries. She picked up her datapad and triggered the security locks.

"Oh yes, everything's fine," Natasi called in response. "Just looking at the dispatches."

A note from Renata Westaway was the last item in the box, an update on Project Renascence. They were scouting locations for the physical base of the project and had sent her a promising data readout. In a roundabout way it did rather bring her to an uncomfortable spot. As things were getting quite serious with Dyrn Grav, she felt uneasy about him not being in possession of all the facts about her. He had every right to know, if they were going to be together -- together in the euphemistic, present sense as well as in the matrimonial, future sense. She chewed her bottom lip thoughtfully, then stood up and called: "Would you come in here, please? There's something I'd like to discuss with you."

Natasi set her datapad aside and then sat next to him on the sofa, allowing a hand to rest on his knee. "I was never sure of the right time to tell you about this," she began. "But I think if I left it any later I would live to regret it. Now... I am Natasi Fortan," she declared, looking at Dyrn thoughtfully. "I am. But -- as you know -- I was vaporized when the Concordia destroyed the Ssi-Ruuk Imperium's flagship over Dosuun. When I returned, it was decided that the narrative required me to be -- me. And in a sense, I am. I maintained my memories, my thoughts and emotions, my thought process."

She paused, looking up at the ceiling as if there might be some guide to the conversation written there, but there was nothing there for her. She closed her eyes and swallowed before going on: "My soul -- if you want to call it that -- remained in tact with all my memories and thoughts and character, in the Netherworld. My cousin sent my aunt after it and dragged it back into this world, placing it into a cloned body. This body. Unbeknownst to me or the Supreme Leader himself, during the second war with the Galactic Alliance, scientists with Project Aeternum created clones of us both to ensure that, should the worst happen, the First Order would not be without its leaders." She frowned and looked back at Dyrn briefly before looking down at her hand on his knee.

"As things have been progressing between us, I felt you had a right to know. Some people are uneasy about clones and if you are -- well, it wouldn't have been fair to keep it from you." Natasi removed her hand, knitting her own together in her lap as she allowed herself to look at her beloved's face once more.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Ah, more dispatches. Dyrn thought, in response to Natasi's call about what she was up to. Seemingly endless. Yet, better to keep on top of them.

As he placed the last grocery item onto the shelf, Dyrn looked down to the counter top and stared at the paper bags there. He was looking beyond them, through them, at least in the mind. His vision was unfocused as he thought, his mind wandered, and he considered all the events in his life up until the present moment. He couldn't help but think about instances, how they could change without warning, or redirect a path one found themselves on. If Dyrn was honest with himself, he would have to admit that at no point had he considered his current situation as a reality; no, he had been set to ask, a soldier with a mission, then life had... redirected... and then again, another small redirection, then another, and another right up until now, the present. And with each subtle - and not so subtle, he supposed - shift in his path, Dyrn could recount almost every instance of when and why.

Hm?

The sound of Natasi's voice, asking him to go to her, brought Dyrn out of his reverie. He cleared his throat and straightened the folded bags, then turned and started across the way toward where Natasi stood. The Keshian's eyebrows furrowed as he considered the expression he saw, and wondered if there had been an emergency back on Dosuun - something seemed wrong, or at least a concern. Dyrn moved to the sofa and sat as Natasi did, and waited for her to continue. And possibly for the first time, Dyrn was confused by her, or more accurately the initial words spoken.

What is she...

But Dyrn stayed silent. He listened. As Natasi expressed the want to tell him something important, important enough that it could lead to regret. That was disconcerting, but he didn't want her to feel alone or like he was distancing himself, so Dyrn reached out and placed his hand on hers where it rested on his knee. The touch remained light, in case Natasi wanted to pull away should the news be too bad, but otherwise he leveled his gaze and kept eye contact. He was cautious in mind, but open to whatever needed to be said, because it was important to her.

The confirmation Natasi shared of being herself was perplexing, until the mention of the Concordia. Dyrn swallowed, as his mind pulled those memories back, during his training. There had been little shared about the incident then, not by the Royal Guard instructors, and for the most part the contingent of Guardsmen-to-be had been isolated. Still, Dyrn had never taken the time to look into details, even years later. Perhaps it had simply been a case of mistaken events, that Natasi hadn't died - or, more accurately, been vaporized. But he had been aware of something, by Natasi's own words in the past, though the details had been vague and focused around the Force being used at the time.

So. That means...

The truth, the full truth, was spoken by Natasi amid seeming discomfort. The revelation was a lot to process, though Dyrn did his best to remain quiet until she was finished, and nodded. He looked down, hand still on hers, as Natasi explained she was a clone. That her soul had been pulled from the Netherworld - by the Force, Dyrn could deduce - and the mentions of Force powers and feeling different were thrown into stark clarity. Pieces of the puzzle that Dyrn had been missing, or had not even known existed, fell into place and he was able to see a lot more of the whole.

Project Aeternum; it was something to look into, another time, though Dyrn couldn't decide his emotions toward those scientists. On the one hand, they had Natasi's DNA, and could do whatever they wanted with it -- with her. On the other, without those same scientists, Natasi - the living, breathing woman before him - wouldn't exist.

It was a lot.

Dyrn could only imagine how difficult it must have been for Natasi. And when she looked down, and pulled back to place her hands in her lap, he frowned at the words spoken. The Keshian had never thought about clones, not really. Did he know what he thought about them? How wide spread was the discomfort some sentients had? Though, after a few moments, Dyrn looked down and stared at the floor. He collected his thoughts, he pushed aside what wasn't important, and above all he refused to think of the woman he cared for so much as anything but. With an exhale, Dyrn looked up to Natasi, as he nodded slowly.

Three words.

That was all he needed.

"Natasi."

Dyrn reached out and placed his right hand against her chest, over her heart.

"Dyrn."

With his free hand, he raised one of her own hands, and placed her palm against his chest, over his heart.

"Agreed?"

That simple gesture, from Herevan, in the ballroom. He felt the need to speak more, so he did, as he looked into her deep brown eyes and felt the sensation of welled up emotion. Dyrn wasn't prone to it, but the moment had caught him, and he shuddered a breath.

"Our training at Herevan... that was the moment, I think, when I felt it. Back then, away from the public, the First Order, where I was able to see you - really see you - away from all the reverence and ceremony," He smiled, as he moved his hand up from above Natasi's heart to the side of her face. He ran his fingers along her cheek. "And on Naboo, with the orchid, where I saw your eyes light up at the beauty... and I agreed. But I didn't mean the flower. Or when the starship went down on Keskin, and how scared I was that you might have been gone.

"You are the only you I could ever want or need. And those moments, and a thousand smaller and less significant ones in between, are real and important to me. Tangible. And if that isn't you, me, us... then I don't know what is."

Dyrn smiled, yet his expression remained earnest, as he looked at her:

"I love you. Unconditionally."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom