Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Beyond Price | Private

skin, bone, and arrogance

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi considered the instruction as she heard Dyrn collecting their dishes. "I can -- " she began, but he was already explaining that he would wash up. He brushed some hair from her neck and then she felt his lips settle briefly on the skin he had just uncovered. The resulting shiver was entirely unrelated to the temperature. She watched him leave and went to pick up her personal datapad, which was linked to the local networks and thus be able to tell her what weather she should be dressing for.

"How about this morning?" she called back to Dyrn, returning to the doorway so she wouldn't have to shout. "It's supposed to be warm this afternoon with possible thunderstorms. I'd rather be home and dry for that, wouldn't you?"

She took a selection of clothes into the 'fresher and took a shower, then dressed herself in a pair of comfortable tan trousers -- almost akin to riding breeches, without the reinforced sections. High-waisted and form-fitting, they were highly flexible, allowing her a free range of motion. Into these trousers she tucked a crisp, white high-necked blouse in a breathable fabric.

She took her hairbrush into the main part of the cottage where Dyrn was and set about brushing her hair. "Banks is going to have to take me in hand when we get back to the capital," Natasi informed him wryly as she brushed her hair straight, then set about fashioning it into a braided plait. "I don't have the patience to use the hair dryer and it's not good for milady's hair," she concluded in a decent imitation of the Human Replica Droid-turned-bodyguard masquerading as a fully functioning ladies maid.

"Will this do?" she asked, turning one side to the other to show her outfit. "I'll put socks and shoes on, of course." Natasi found a few bobby pins in her handbag and set about pinning her braid into a little hanging loop. Not too shabby, she thought as she examined her appearance in the mirror over the sideboard, especially without a ladies maid.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

"As you wish," Dyrn responded, as Natasi decided about using the morning for the trip. The mention of heat and thunderstorms was not pleasant. "And I agree, that afternoon weather should be avoided." Dyrn smiled. "We will just have to find something to do, indoors."

The smile remained, likely making the Keshian to look a fool, as he continued to use the sink. He didn't mind, he felt no judgment from Natasi, and trusted her to see his more personable side. After all, being a Guardsman required a certain persona, a specific gravitas that wasn't conducive to more pleasant expressions, so a lot of the time - at least in public - Dyrn was stoic and silent. But here, with her, he wanted to show he wasn't some automaton.

By the time Dyrn had finished washing - and drying - the dishes, Natasi emerged from the bedroom dressed for the day. She looked lovely, dressed for the excursion, in comfortable clothing that was wholly suitable. The mention of Banks caused Dyrn to chuckle, though he took another glance at her, and furrowed his eyebrows.

"I see nothing for Banks to remedy," Dyrn said simply. "You look beautiful."

Aware of his own state of dress, namely a pair of loose pants only, Dyrn knew it was his time to prepare also.

"I better get ready, promptly," The Keshian said in a low voice, as he moved closer to Natasi. His eyes were playful. "It wouldn't do well for our morning schedule if you happened to need to... redress. I won't be long."

With a clear of his throat, Dyrn brushed past Natasi, fingers touching her hand briefly, before he retreated into the bedroom. Sounds of the 'refresher were heard, then some near-silence for several minutes, before the Guardsman stepped out of the entryway and looked for Natasi. He wore slacks, comfortable shoes, and a light t-shirt of a dark gray. On his back, Dyrn also had a backpack, which contained some essentials - at least for a Guardsman - for the outing, as well as space for the prepared water bottles and snack containers in the cooling unit.

"All set, love?" Dyrn asked as he walked to the kitchen again, collecting the edibles, and placed them into the pack. "I believe we are set."

Once Natasi gave her confirmation, the Guardsman began to sweep the front of the cottage, using the windows to glance through - as his eye colors rippled like water - in search of anything potentially threatening. Nothing seemed amiss, to which Dyrn unlocked the door and stepped outside, then gave Natasi time to exit before he locked up the dwelling again. Then, once across the short space to the vehicle, Dyrn opened the speeder door for Natasi - and once she was safely inside, he closed it - and took his own place behind the wheel.

"It should not take long to drive, and then a brisk walk."

Dyrn was excited.

He hoped Natasi was, too.

natasi_spacer.png

Getting ready the rest of the way was reasonably simple; she put on a pair of comfortable ankle boots and her cap, for equal parts sun protection and privacy. They had been lucky to go unrecognized so far, and she was hoping for continued success in that regard. It helped that she was able to dress in casual clothes and that Dyrn was, too. A towering red-garbed figure would have been a dead giveaway.

"Ready when you are," Natasi confirmed, and she followed him out of the cottage. Her dark eyes studied the building over her shoulder as she folowed Dyrn out to the speeder. It was a quaint little thing, quite different from anything on Galidraan, which she supposed was part of the appeal. Natasi was to the manor born, but there was something cozy about this.

After Dyrn opened the door, Natasi settled into the passenger seat and slid her sunglasses on, smiling across the cabin at Dyrn when he got in on the driver's side.

She wondered idly as they chatted how Dyrn would change when the shoe was on the other foot as far as being a bodyguard was concerned. By and large, Natasi was discouraged from driving by her security detail, for instance, and she understood it even if she sometimes just wanted to get in a speeder and drive somewhere. Natasi didn't relish being swaddled by security, but she recognized that it was important that she cooperate. Dyrn had made it easy to do; he worked with her when she needed to do something he considered risky. But as her consort, he would have a security detail of his own, which might rather hamper his style. She supposed it would depend on the security detail and its captain. On the whole Natasi thought he would not be as lucky as she was in that regard.

If they were married, then she sincerely hoped he would not.

She leaned over and kissed his cheek. "I can't wait to see what you've planned for us," Natasi said honestly. "And I think I want to build a cottage somewhere. Not -- with my own hands, obviously, but have it built, somewhere in the woods that only you and I know." She lowered her glasses and peered over the rims of them at Dyrn. Obviously she'd hire contractors, but for a moment the Supreme Leader allowed herself to indulge in the mental image of Dyrn swinging an axe to bring down trees to build them a cottage. She bit her bottom lip. "What do you think? It's not a bad way to spend a few days, hm?"

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Fields and fields of flowers passed, as the speeder made its way, Dyrn maintaining a reasonable pace.

It was still amazing to think of all the work that went into maintaining the vast expanses of flora, with it being likely a large portion of the population were on the task, perhaps even some families working the flowers for generations. The export must have been immense, but the tourism also helped, Dyrn supposed. It was one of the more unique planets the Guardsman had visited at any rate, though he didn't have an extensive list, by any means.

The conversation was pleasant, Dyrn mentioned a few things he found interesting, pointed out some landmarks. Then Natasi leaned over to kiss his cheek, which made Dyrn smile, as he glanced her way. He let go of the wheel with one hand, reached over and sought out her own, offering a loving squeeze. He held her hand, as Natasi began to share about the idea of a cottage - though Dyrn did chuckle when Natasi mentioned not physically building it, but rather others.

"I could build it," Dyrn said quickly, with a smirk. "But a professional would give better results, I've little doubt."

Dyrn fell silent and continued to listen. He noted she bit her bottom lip, which sent a little rush through him. He enjoyed when Natasi did that - a lot.

"That sounds nice, a small getaway," Dyrn nodded as he considered. "Under the assumption we do end up living together, it should be simple enough to survey around any land a home would be on, and find a suitably concealed position to build. There are also means to further keep a private cottage from prying eyes, I can certainly handle that aspect... and if it is close enough to that hypothetical home, perhaps getaways might be even more frequent?"

The notion was pleasant, Dyrn supported it, but also knew there were many considerations to take into account between now and then. Still, the Keshian was hopeful, and relished any opportunity to escape with Natasi, because he had little doubt she would remain busy - in positions of import - for many, many years to come.

"It sounds wonderful. We should do that."

The speeder journey came to a stop not long after, to which Dyrn pulled onto a side road that looked well-used. Not recently, but generally. It turned out the road led toward another forested area, several miles away, and was something of a local tourism specialty. Though, for the purposes of their privacy, Dyrn had made some preparations with the sentient that showed the location to visitors, and had paid for the day to be free - which had allowed Natasi and Dyrn the entire day to decide on when to go.

As such, there was no one else around, as the speeder pulled up to a stop.

"This is a hidden gem, according to local tourism traders," Dyrn said as he powered down the vehicle and opened his door. "We will not be disturbed, I made sure of that."

Dyrn stepped out, closed his door, then rounded to open Natasi's. He retrieved the backpack afterward, then secured and locked the speeder, before he held out a hand--

"Ready?"

--and started into the forest, leading the way. Unbeknownst to Natasi, Dyrn knew exactly where to go, as his keen eyes caught the telltale signs that were something of direction source. And while the trek wasn't intensive, there were some ups and downs, some need to shimmy under low branches, some rock hops across gentle streams and similar natural obstacles. But, before long, they arrived at the top of a crevice in the ground, one that went deeper into the surface around, and disappeared into darkness...

"This is the place," Dyrn said with a smile, as he wiped his brow. "Please be careful, step where I step?"

Dyrn would lead the way into the dark area, as he took each step down carefully, a firm hold on Natasi. And once the pair were down a distance, almost completely surrounded by the black, save for the light overhead through the trees, surrounded by cave-like walls and numerous flora growths in every direction. The Guardsman unzipped the backpack and reached inside...

"This place is special, especially for my species," Dyrn smiled in the dim light, as he pulled out a pair of goggles. "I wanted to share it with you. To show you how I see. I'm sorry they aren't fashionable--"

He offered the goggles.

"--but when you put these on, and activate them. Well."

Dyrn turned to look at the subterranean surroundings, though through his eyes, the flora was emanating with ultraviolet colors - more than could be described, more than could be separated by sight alone, even for the Keshian - and in the typical darkness of the cave it was like a magnificent lightshow of glows and hues and petal colors.

Dyrn smiled, as he held Natasi's hand.

"What do you think?"

Last edited:

natasi_spacer.png

"Yes," Natasi agreed with Dyrn. "That's true. Then again, the appeal of Breakriver is that it didn't exist in any of the records. No one could find me there because it wasn't on any maps. Well, not until it became the headquarters of the aerial resistance during the first siege, but it was all for a good cause." She had been back to Breakriver only once since her resurrection, for a disastrous meeting with her cousin. Just remembering it made her pulse quicken with irritation. Foolish child. But children are supposed to be foolish. You're the idiot in this situation, she chastised herself harshly. It was both well-deserved and undeserved, she knew. There was value in giving people chances, and value in believing people were the people they showed you they were.

With a certain segment of the population of her twisted and gnarled family tree, Natasi was damned if she did and damned if she didn't.

Natasi peered out the window as they parked up at the forest. It looked like -- a forest. Beautiful, but not quite remarkable. She suspected that there was more to it, and as Dyrn helped her out of the car with that knowing smile of his, Natasi knew it was true., she reached up self-consciously with her other hand to check that her braid loop was still in place. She thought a bun might have been more practical, but it was too late now.

Lacing her fingers through Dyrn's, she gave him a reassuring smile that she was as prepared as she was going to be, and walked with him into the forest.

In a way, being there made Natasi homesick for Galidraan. Herevan had vast, old-growth forests that she had spend her childhood walking in. It was to the forests she had retreated when her mother died, and when Mathes died. But the forest was never melancholy, only comforting. Of course, the two forests -- Herevan's and the one they were in now -- shared limited characteristics: mainly trees. The biodiversity on display in these woods -- the wildflowers that sprouted everywhere, the multitudinous species of trees -- was riotous in comparison.

Little did Natasi know that there was much more to come.

They paused at the edge of a crevice and Natasi peered warily down. "Ah, so this is where you've chosen to dispose of my body," she quipped dryly. Rearranging her grip on his hand, she followed Dyrn down into the depths, careful to place her comparatively dainty weight only on the exact spaces that had held his considerable musculature safely. Luckily Natasi had always received high marks in grace and deportment, so there were no comedramatic pratfalls or slips and they arrived at the ground -- or whatever it was -- without mishap.

"I was joking about hiding my body," Natasi told Dyrn as wandered into the cavelike atmosphere. "But now -- I can't see a thing."

Almost as if by magic, the Keshian was placing a pair of goggles in her hands. They were certainly not fashionable, but that didn't matter in this moment. Natasi carefully slipped the goggles over her head, pulled them down over her eyes, making minor adjustments until they sat just right. Her fingers fumbled along the edges for the switch, frowning slightly until she found it and flipped it.

Natasi hadn't realized she had closed her eyes until the barely-audible click and whir did absolutely nothing. But when her eyes opened --

Color and light.

She stood, dumbfounded and for one of the few times in the life of a gifted political leader, Natasi was speechless. Her jaw hung, slack, as she tried to take it all in. She suspected that if she stood there for one hundred years, she could not take it all in. There were colors that her brain could not understand, colors for which she had no concept, let alone a name. She took in a deep breath and turned, every degree of rotation showing her new colors, different refractions of light.

Dyrn had explained his species' relationship with light and color early on in their friendship, but words did it no justice. Was this -- what he saw, always? To her shame, she could not repress her own vanity to wonder what she looked like in this paradigm, what she looked like to him. Natasi turned to him, her face equal parts delight and disbelief and shock, like a child seeing fireworks for the first time. Dyrn was -- different in this view -- but no less attractive. Rather more attractive, she thought, given the genesis of this experience had been his desire to share with her his perspective.

The colors blurred, the became prisms as her eyes filled with tears.

"It's -- incredible," Natasi said breathlessly as she turned again, crouching down to examine a broad blossom that glowed a vivid fuchsia in the darkness. She leaned close and inhaled its delightful scent, like clean laundry and honey and jasmine and citrus and something she couldn't put her finger on it. "Is this -- do you see it the same way? What color is this?" She sniffed the flower again, wondering what color it would be outside. "I can't believe this. It's just beautiful."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

In the time the pair had known one another, the Guardsman had grown to enjoy the Supreme Leader's dry humor. The quip about the location had brought a chuckle, despite himself, though he hoped that that uncertainty would disappear soon enough. Dyrn wondered if that was because of the surprise of it all, a way to laugh through the mystery, but he found it quite endearing.

Much like her.

Dyrn could see through the darkness already, as his eyes adjusted, and he watched Natasi place the goggles on. He reached out to help, as needed, but otherwise the couple were ready. The revelation brought a smile to Dyrn's face, as he observed her response quietly. Natasi's expression went from shock, to surprise and to wonder.

Within the cave, a kaleidoscope of garish glows, beautiful sparkles and radiant blossoms was brought forth. Through the innumerable ultraviolet and light-defying growths, the colors that were beyond color, some so vivid in picturesque multitude that it was almost impossible - even as a Keshian - to differentiate some of the chromaticity on display; even where light in the typical sense didn't reach, there remained flora deep within the chasm that demanded to be seen, delivering striking emerald with an almost aquamarine glow of intensity.

With a smile, Dyrn stood beside Natasi, his hand rubbed her back as he peered around.

After several moments, his eyes came back to his love, and Dyrn couldn't deny that Natasi looked stunning to his sight. Her eyes, which he had seen before the goggles, had materialized a deep amber from the dark brown as light beyond typical humanoid sight caught the pupils. It had made them almost glow gold, and was something Dyrn had seen before, when his own vision had been suitably heightened at times in the past. Beyond that, her skin - like a pale peach in color, smooth and flawless - softly emanated with a rosy glow, giving Natasi an almost ethereal appearance in the cave.

It also seemed Natasi found something of her own, as she crouched and began to study a particular flower, which glowed brightly with fuchsia. It was certainly an eye-catching blossom, even as Dyrn listened to the questions Natasi asked, which brought on another chuckle from him.

"Not always," Dyrn said as he stepped over and crouched beside her. "I usually keep my eyesight to a more usual spectrum, mainly to see what a majority of others see. Though, at times, I do heighten or lessen my iris ranges and I can see in broader ranges. And that particular blossom color... would probably be something like Fuchsia Rose, at least in here."

Dyrn smirked.

"Outside, it's more of a mossy dark green."

Slowly, Dyrn reached out and touched Natasi's cheeks with the back of his fingers, as he gently felt the softness of her skin and continued to smile.

"I admit, at times though not too often, I have altered my vision to see you more fully on my natural spectrum of eyesight. When you blush, for example, seeing the pink just here--" Dyrn turned his hand and pointed to a particular spot on Natasi's cheekbone. "--and I can see the faint freckles you have there, too. Or when we are in a bright environment, and the light catches your eyes... did you know they glow golden-amber?"

Dyrn sighed, as he looked down.

"It has been a long time since I have visited my homeworld. I suppose this place has reminded me of that, in a way. My people tend to wear, use or decorate with a variety of multi-spectrum materials and paints, all designed to draw Keshian vision. Not too dissimilar to the cacophony of lights you might see on Coruscant... but more natural, more perceptively appealing and purposeful, not soulless like a city world."

Nonetheless, Dyrn offered a laugh and leaned in to kiss Natasi.

"I apologize, this cave just brought me back for a moment, I'm okay. Did you want to explore some more?"

natasi_spacer.png

To say that Natasi was overwhelmed by the dizzying display of colors would have been an understatement. It was oddly emotional, being confronted with a world of colors that had simply not been there moments ago. The sensation was made all the more potent because she was sharing the experience with Dyrn. "I definitely want to take these goggles with me when we go to your Keshi. If it means I will be able to see things the way you would -- even a facsimile -- it would be worth the fuss."

As he pointed it out, Natasi began to see the similarities to Coruscant and other ecumenopoleis. The colors glowing on the plants of varying heights were reminiscent of the buildings that rose from other buildings, cities atop cities. Flying and hopping insects, wings fluttering and glowing, streaked across from leaf to leaf, flower to flower. She lifted her goggles to wipe tears from her eyes,

She turned her attention to him, watching him through the goggles once she set them back into place. He looked the same and totally different. His skin had a subtle glow to it. Natasi reached over and let her hand rest against his cheek, her thumb brushing along the ridge of his cheekbone. Even his eyes were unmistakably Dyrn and yet completely foreign. "Remarkable," she murmured. "Simply -- remarkable."

After a few moments, she released him and looked around some more. "I want to see more. Can you show me?" Natasi put her hand in his and gestured for him to take the lead. "Just try to keep me upright. I'm so overwhelmed I can't keep my eyes on the path in front of me."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn could only smile, as he regarded Natasi with equally as much appreciation.

"Of course, we can go a little further," The Guardsman said with a nod, when the other asked to see more. He held Natasi's hand tightly, as the pair began to go deeper, where the colors and luminescence was even more surreal. "And I will see about another solution to the goggles. For the future."

royal_guard_spacer2.png

Exploration of the cave took another hour, before it was time to return.

The trek back to the speeder was divine, as Dyrn felt even closer to Natasi, the emotional connection for the Keshian deepened considerably through their shared moment. It wasn't often that Dyrn spoke about himself personally, he had been raised guarded and tight-lipped, though the opportunity to impart with Natasi was important and needed for him.

After a time, the cottage was back in view, and Dyrn brought the speeder to a slow stop. He reached over and squeezed Natasi's hand, before he stepped out and performed his usual checks. Nothing seemed out of place under his scrutiny, and with a nod to his love, he helped with the speeder door and belongings that needed carrying inside.

"Would you like the fresher first?" Dyrn asked, once inside, as he closed the door behind them. "Or... perhaps we could conserve some water, together."

Dyrn couldn't help but smirk.

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi felt somewhat sore by the time they returned to the cottage; the hike had been slightly strenuous, especially since she didn't often make a habit of the exercise. Perhaps that ought to change, she thought. She perched on the bench near the door and began unfastening her boots, felt her cheeks color and heat at his proposition. Conserve water indeed, she thought with a dubious smile. Dyrn could be so goofy; for a woman who often took herself too seriously, it was a refreshing addition to her life.

But there was nothing goofy about the smirk he leveled at her.

So it was to be a day of firsts, then. "What a good idea," said Natasi. She stepped out of her boots and set them near the door, then headed for the 'fresher.

Some time later, once the steam had cleared and the pair were once more squeaky clean, Natasi dressed in a simple sundress and set about to brew tea. They had quite missed lunch somehow, and she was feeling -- well, ravenous, actually -- and she assumed Dyrn was the same. She had a hankering for a good Galidraani afternoon tea, so she commandeered some of the food they had purchased at the shop for that purpose: cucumber and cress sandwiches, some kind of local smoked fish and cream cheese sandwiches, and some of the leftover roast from the night before with horseradish. She even baked -- if one could imagine it -- producing half a dozen scones in short order.

All the while half-singing, half-humming a little ditty.

When Dyrn returned, he would find her in the midst of cleaning up from her culinary adventure. She smiled briefly over her shoulder. "I made tea," she said simply, a slight hint of pride there. Afternoon tea made by her own fair hand. Probably not as good as at one of the better hotels in Calavar or Avalonia, where it had been elevated to an art form, but still good. "I'm hungry so I thought you would be, too. There's more filling for the sandwiches, so don't be shy."

Natasi dried her hands, then guided Dyrn to the kitchen table and sat him down. The kettle whistled at the range. "I only bought breakfast tea, is that all right?" The higher caffeine content wouldn't bother Natasi -- in fact she was looking forward to a nice boost after the feats of human endurance she had displayed that day. And the hiking, too.

As the tea steeped, Natasi took the scones out of the oven and frowned gravely. "These got a little browner than I would have liked," she told him, turning to take the tray over to the table. Using her fingers, she quickly transferred them over to a small plate, careful not to burn her fingers. Can't win 'em all, she told herself. After depositing the baking sheet in the sink, Natasi returned to the table and sat down.

"Thank you for showing me the cave," she said, reaching around the tray to put her hand over one of his. "It was beautiful, truly. I never thought I would be able to see things -- that way. It was very special to me, to be able to share that with you. So, thank you." She squeezed his hand. "What shall we do tomorrow? I'm rather keen to do one of the plantation tours, if you wouldn't find it too dull."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn was the last in the 'fresher and consequently the room, as he pulled a shirt over his head and loose trousers over his legs, where he took a moment to stretch his arms wide. One of the bones clicked near his shoulder, an old injury, but otherwise it felt good to just inhale and tense for the moment. It seemed Natasi had moved out into the cottage proper, though she hummed and sounded busy, which left the Guardsman with a handful of moments to take care of other things.

While the bedroom was very clean, with few clothes out of place, there was the hiking attire that had been... discarded. Dyrn began to collect it all, as he walked over to the hydro-cleaner tucked neatly into a cabinet nearer the 'fresher. The clothes were tossed inside, both Natasi's and his, before he started a basic cycle that would see them cleaned and dried quickly. And while Dyrn's mind was occupied, he started to wipe down and soak up water traces with a towel.

All the while, Dyrn listened to Natasi hum.

Sometime later, Dyrn walked from the bedroom and couldn't help but smell cooking. He had to admit to being quite hungry, and smiled as his partner noted she had made tea, as well as sandwiches. Dyrn eagerly took Natasi's hand, as he spied the spread, and sat down where he was led. Unbeknownst to him, Dyrn's mouth had started watering, as the kitchen scents strengthened with proximity, and there was even a low grumble from his stomach.

"Breakfast tea sounds lovely." Dyrn said as he got comfortable at the table, as he coughed quietly at his stomach, before he turned and watched Natasi with contentment in his eye. "Tea and sandwiches? Wonderful, and it feels as though you read my mind."

For a moment, Dyrn considered getting up to help, but Natasi looked comfortable and in charge of the situation.

"The scones look delicious," Dyrn commented, as he watched them be placed onto the table. "I'm looking forward to trying them, really."

Natasi returned to the table and Dyrn smiled as she touched his hand. She felt warm, soft, and any opportunity to touch her was relished. When Natasi spoke of the cave, thankful for the visit, the other nodded and continued to smile. It had been special for him, because it had been a physical means of sharing what he experienced with the woman he loved, and knowing Natasi regarded the moment so highly was perfect.

"You are most welcome, I am glad I could," Dyrn said as he leaned forward and kissed Natasi's temple. He eased back, and reached out to pour the tea, sure that it had steeped enough. "A plantation tour? Certainly. Tomorrow is largely free, I have nothing specific planned, so that sounds like a pleasant outing."

With the tea in cup, Dyrn lifted his to his lips and took a sip.

"I heard you humming earlier, and I was wondering what the song was?" the Guardsman was curious, as it wasn't something he had heard before. "It was quite comforting, I have to admit. Almost like the cottage was a home, in some ways."

Dyrn thought, eyes distant for a moment, before he came back and looked at Natasi with a smile.

"I would happily listen to you hum every day."

natasi_spacer.png

"It's called That Lovely Weekend by a Galidraani artist called Lyna Verr. It's about a pair of lovers separated by war who are reunited for a weekend during the soldier's leave." Natasi paused to take a sip of her tea, then went on: "It was invented during a particularly vicious civil war on Galidraan during my father's younger days. Many millions of people died in the struggle, but many on Galidraan recall fondly 'The War' -- capital T, capital W -- as the best of our days. There is a certain appeal to it, I suppose, if you were on the winning side, as Herevan was. It was a simpler time. Before the Sith, before the New Imperials and their bizarre fetishes, before even -- well, never mind that."

She took another sip of her tea and set the cup down in its saucer and reached across the table to put a hand over Dyrn's after his comment that he would happily listen to her humming every day.

"Speaking of that," Natasi began haltingly, then stopped. She paused, then leaned back a little and cleared her throat to try again. "That is to say -- if you don't mind that -- no, that's all wrong." She stood and paced toward the sink, then back, then returned to the sink for a moment to collect herself. She tried to remember how Talbot had done it, then remembered that he hadn't, really. He hadn't so much proposed to her as turned to her during a performance of Kaldwin's Revenge at the Royal Avalonia Opera house and said: "So: shall we get married?"

Another wartime proposal, this one distinctly lacking in romance.

Natasi turned back to Dyrn and approached again. "Sorry. First time jitters," she told him, placing a hand on either of his knees as she dropped to one knee beside his chair. Whether either cared to admit it, it was rather a big deal. Natasi Fortan was Sovereign; she knelt to no one. But as Sovereign, the responsibility of the moment fell to her and she didn't know another way to go about it, so she knelt. Both of her hands took his, one under, clasping like a handshake, the other covering the back of his hand with her smaller one.

"Dyrn, I never thought I would come to feel about someone again the way I feel about you. These last few days have confirmed what I have suspected for some time now: that, more important than physical attraction, more durable, just as important as our bonds of respect and trust and love: and that we do well together." Dark eyes glassy, Natasi swallowed audibly and gave him a shaky grin. "Would you please marry me, Dyrn?"

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

Dyrn was surprised by the information, as Natasi spoke of the song she hummed, and the connotation behind it. Odd, he felt, that a fondness for a war could remain within a society, as though it was a point of pride. Dyrn could understand how such could be influenced, from the winning side, as that was largely commonplace within most cultures or governments - the victors wrote history, after all.

"I see," Dyrn said in a low tone, as he thought about her words. "I suppose some degree of comparison could be afforded to us, perhaps? Of the pair, I mean."

There was no denying that the couple had had to keep their relationship quiet, for a number of viable and well-intentioned reasons. There was much to consider, much to keep mindful of, and Natasi remained on the public stage where scandal - no matter how trivial or even false - could dramatically affect her position and livelihood. Dyrn had accepted that, readily, and understood the importance of solitude for time together.

Dyrn smiled, as Natasi spoke. She paused, he waited with a smile. Then when she stood and walked away, Dyrn turned in his seat somewhat to watch her, an underlying concern present, as something distressed his love. Yet, Natasi was more than capable of righting herself, if needed, and didn't require Dyrn to swoop in at the first signs of discomfort - no, instead he waited, gave her time to do what she needed and he did not judge.

Natasi would share what was on her mind, if she chose to.

The tea cup lifted again, as Dyrn sipped the hot liquid, and angled himself back proper. It was then that Natasi apologized, before she walked back and stood in front of his chair. The Keshian wondered for a moment at what might be happening, when she lowered to one knee, though paused when something felt different... this was serious, meaningful, and it was important to Natasi.

Natasi took Dyrn's hand; and he watched her, continued to smile, supportive.

Also unsure.

Yet, perhaps, not so unsure?

When Natasi proposed, her words echoed in Dyrn's mind, as he considered each syllable and inflection - like the world had temporarily slowed. He was aware of everything, his vision shifted somewhat against his will, and the room was cast into brilliant ultraviolet. Natasi glowed, radiant to his Keshian sight, and with a deep inhale he replied:

"Yes. I have wanted for nothing as much."

There was a flood of relief, excitement, adrenaline and a range of other emotions that Dyrn didn't care to consider. Instead, he freed his hand, then pulled Natasi close and kissed her deeply. It didn't seem enough. With a grin and chuckle, the Keshian bodily picked up his love - his fiancée - and hugged her, caught in a moment of not wanting to let her go, as he kissed her again.

Finally, Dyrn gently returned Natasi to the ground, as he reached down to hold her hands.

"I... I am overjoyed, beyond happy. I have spent much of our time resisting my need to propose to you, for it was not my place, with your station and--" Dyrn gave a tight-lipped smile, as he wiped at the bridge of his nose with a thumb. "--well, it matters little now, I am yours. Always."

Dyrn paused as he blinked, though by now his vision had returned to normalcy.

"What should happen now? Do you have any traditions to fulfill with my answer?"

natasi_spacer.png

The silence seemed to stretch forever, until at last, Dyrn said yes. Natasi didn't realize how insecure she had been about his answer -- though she could feel that he loved her and wanted her, she was asking him to give up a life he had become accustomed to, to join her on the ledge that was the glare of public life on the galactic stage. It took more than love and affection for someone to want to do that. She was flooded with gratitude when he gathered her in his arms and agreed to take the leap.

She returned his kiss and beamed up at him when he set her down.

"Traditions? Oh, there is very little about this that is traditional. On Galidraan -- for people like me -- it is almost unheard of for a woman to propose marriage. It's usually only when we had a reigning Queen. I guess a bit like us," Natasi said with a self-conscious smile. "There aren't many details available for situations like that. It's not clear whether the lady in question would have presented her intended with a ring the way it ordinarily goes when it's the other way around. And I didn't know if that was a tradition on your homeworld."

She leaned up and kissed him lightly again. It felt nice, she reflected as she released him, stepping off her tiptoes. "Put me down and finish your tea before it gets cold," Natasi said with a good-natured grin before resuming her own seat as well.

"On Galidraan an engagement ring is traditional, if a man proposes to a woman. There are many, many things that are expected on Galidraan if you were to propose to me," Natasi went on as she added jam to half a scone. "For instance, you would need to seek the permission of the head of my family. I guess that would be George, ostensibly, as the Earl. You'd be expected to negotiate some kind of settlement with the paterfamilias -- he would provide a dowry, you would provide a plan of action of how to safeguard and grow it on my behalf so that if something ever happened -- if you died, or we separated -- I'd be able to live off it."

She spooned a little cream atop the jam and looked over at Dyrn through her lashes. "There's very little to do with love when it comes to an aristocratic marriage on Galidraan, you see," Natasi explained. "I think I prefer this way."

A bite of the scone, a sip of the tea. "I suppose the next steps are planning for a wedding. I'm afraid -- my position -- will require some sort of public nuptials in Avalonia. The people will want to see and take part. There will be a bank holiday, I should think, and all that comes with it. But I was rather hoping we might have a private ceremony as well. Something just for us and our families. Something that can honor both our families' traditions. Do you wish to go to Kesh? To save your parents the burden of long travel?"

The Supreme Leader blanched and looked across the table at her fiancé. "Did I make a faux-pas by not asking them first?" she asked softly.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

royal_guard_banner3.png

With the initial reaction and emotional response now somewhat contained, Dyrn calmed himself and focused on the discussion. The proposal had been a surprise, unexpected as something to happen in the future, yet that didn't diminish the moment in the slightest. In fact, as far as Dyrn was concerned, it only meant the pair could begin a journey through life sooner; not to mention without the need to sneak away or avoid the public eye, which had been an effort, given Natasi's position as Supreme Leader.

As Natasi spoke of traditions on Galidraan, Dyrn listened and nodded. He could understand that, in this instance, a skew on the typical was needed. There had been an underlying opinion, perhaps unspoken, that Dyrn's status socially meant a proposal from him was less likely. Not because he loved Natasi any less, of course, but simply because he didn't want to seem to take advantage or station. Thankfully Natasi had been willing to pose the question, despite the usual customs, and now the couple could move forward.

"An engagement ring? I see, yes, perhaps we can do that?" Dyrn asked, eyebrows raised. He leaned forward, one hand outstretched to touch Natasi's own. "I would want your traditions to be followed, to the extent you are comfortable or want them. We could even make a date of it, if you care to?"

The notion of looking for, buying, and presenting an engagement ring was odd for Dyrn, but if it was important for Natasi, then he would. Without question. Dyrn sat back as Natasi prepared a scone with jam and mentioned George, as the head of the family, though that obligation seemed bypassed with Natasi's own proposal. Still, things did need to line up, specifics needed to be addressed, and Dyrn was a man prone to details. There would - more than likely - be a discussion needed between Dyrn and George, but that wouldn't be today.

"A dowry? Hm," Dyrn frowned as he looked down and picked up the tea cup. He lifted it and sipped, thoughtful. "I have been paid well for my appointment as Guardsman Captain, and my profession demands much of my time, without any real need for expenditure... I may not be rich, by most standards, yet I have financial stability, if that is a concern."

Dyrn doubted it was, though wanted to make that clear; he loved Natasi and not her money.

When Natasi mentioned the decision being made for love, Dyrn smiled.

"I agree, this feels right, and I am glad love was a large part of it."

The wedding was certainly the next big decision, or more accurately plan, and Dyrn understood that Natasi would need to have specifics involved. The notion of a very, very public ceremony had the Keshian a little dry-mouthed for a moment, but he pushed that aside, intent to focus on the moment and happiness. Whatever happened beyond now, he would face it alongside his... fiancée.

I have a fiancée.

Dyrn couldn't help but smile, as he looked at Natasi over the cup lip.

"I am happy to stand with you, whatever the ceremonial requirement," the Keshian said as he considered Natasi's suggestion. "Perhaps our private ceremony could be on Kesh, yes. There are some traditions my culture has that differ somewhat from Galidraan customs, yet are nothing otherworldly or off-putting--"

Dyrn put the cup down and turned his right wrist over, where he pointed with his finger on his other hand.

"--some Keshians use ultraviolet ink to write their partner's name, here. Others tend toward older ways, which involve a simple bracelet or necklace, which does much the same but with a carving of a particular color instead. My parents opted for the latter, they each have a small token from the other, and their names are a brilliant - erm - purple-orange, I suppose. That would be the closest to more typical vision.

"Each color and name combination is unique. Especially with so many colors my people can see. Perhaps we could do that? Like my parents?"

There was a reluctance to suggest tattooing one another, besides which that custom wasn't as popular or relevant to Dyrn's family.

"And no, not at all, I am free to court my own love. Though I am sure my parents will want to meet you, more formally, and that might require a trip to Kesh to see them... and speaking of, where do we stand with news of our engagement? How quickly do you want to inform your children or those that need to know?"

Such as the First Order.

"I am content to defer to you on that matter."

Last edited:

natasi_spacer.png

The nuptial traditions on Kesh sounded charming. Natasi wasn't sure about getting a tattoo, but there was something compelling about a permanent marking -- even if it couldn't be seen by most people -- bonding husband and wife. It was a big commitment, and (she supposed) a helpful red flag among the Kesh to determine whether there was a line of names halfway to a potential mate's elbow. The token seemed a solid compromise. "I might have been persuaded to have your name emblazoned on my wrist," Natasi said, her voice low and confidential. "But honoring your parents in this way seems... very appropriate."

She stood and began to tidy up the tea, her pace leisurely. She was in no hurry. In fact, if she could extend these days on the floral planet, tucked away with Dyrn in this little cottage, she certainly would have. As she worked, a dish towel slung over her almost bare shoulder, she continued talking to Dyrn. "Yes... there are things to put in motion, and the constitution to consider." She paused at the sink, gazing down into the sudsy water. "Dyrn, there will be -- certain responsibilities, certain... obligations that would come from being my husband. It will be a fine line to walk, given how our government is set up. For instance, would you be willing to deputize for me if I'm unavailable, as Counsellor of State? As Regent, if I were to become incapacitated or worse before George turns twenty-one?"

She paused, drying her hands on the dishcloth. "You needn't answer now. You can take time to consider. And of course, I'd have to ennoble you first," Natasi said, her tone becoming airy one more as she perched on his knee. "Can't be marrying a commoner, can I?" She cupped his jaw, leaning close to kiss him lightly on the lips, then smiling broadly.

"The First Order can wait," said Natasi. "Until after we've told the children. It's lucky that they like you, otherwise -- " She trailed off when she heard the high-pitched trill of a priority signal being received by her commlink in the other room, unenthusiastically getting to her feet. "What fresh hell could this be? Hold that thought."

The Supreme Leader draped her towel over the back of her chair and with one more apologetic look at her intended, she disappeared through the doorway.

natasi_spacer.png

Natasi felt cold as she disconnected the comlink, and her fingers trembled, causing the device to brush against the surface of the table before placing it fully down. She put her hands to her midsection; she felt like she might be sick. After a moment of staring at the wall over the table where she had been standing in the bedroom so hard she was surprised it hadn't bored a hole, she lurched back and wheeled unsteadily toward the door. "Dyrn," she called, but her voice was weak.

She made it to the doorway of the kitchen. "Dyrn," she repeated, her eyebrows furrowing with fear and concern. "I'm so sorry -- I -- I have to go. Home."

Haltingly, Natasi explained what had occurred. Hendersmith called, nearly hysterical, with the news that George and Major Judicar had disappeared without a trace. Reima had been searching the attic with Judicar after George went missing, when Judicar vanished, dropping his scanner from where he had evaporated. The girl had really been hysterical, and been sedated.

"The authorities have been alerted," Natasi said, by way of beginning her conclusion. "But they found -- nothing. I don't know what's happened, but I need to be there. I know that house like the back of my hand. I -- oh Dyrn. Can you come? I know you were scheduled to rotate out after Öetrago, but..." Her eyes were wide, clearly terrified. "Can it be delayed? I need you with me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom