Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Better Together

ᴏɴᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴢᴇʀᴏᴇꜱ

bb610.png

GADividerBlue.png

| LOCATION: New Jedi Order Temple, Coruscant |
| TAG: Kat Decoria Kat Decoria |

A good while had passed since Jedi Master Valery Noble had adopted BB-610. He remembers their first encounter as though it happened yesterday - the trouble on Adarlon, the impromptu dogfight nearing Coruscant space, and the droid's very first stroll through the halls of a Jedi Temple. It felt perverse, in a way, to be gifted such sacred sights given the astromech's First Order origin, and he viscerally recalled deactivating his internal recordings in the case that The Eternal Empire were to retrieve him for any reason. That day, BB-610 walked a fine line between good and bad, treading long a tightrope to The Galactic Alliance while fearing the fall back down to Imperial roots. It was always fun to reminisce, as the thought process behind his actions that day were far from those he boasted now. More than happy with his life under Jedi care, there no longer lingered a single doubt in his mind that defecting from The Eternal Empire had been the right choice, and after a few joyous months living with the Nobles, BB-610 thought it would be nice to thoroughly explore the Temple now that he could do so guilt-free.

Rolling through the lobbies, taking in the sights. The Jedi Temple had started feeling less like a place of hubris fuelled by Imperial propaganda and more like a second home to him, growing accustomed to the smiles and energy of the faces he'd stroll past; strangers all the same, but people BB-610 appreciated far more than the scowls and grimaces among an air of despair from within the Empire's facilities. Yet, try as he might, the droid's past could never truly escape him. Prone to brief outbursts brought on by leftover First Order programming, BB-610's life in the light felt strained, held back by his episodes of spontaneous malice, and it weighed heavy on his core. Perhaps one day he could find a way to remove it, to rid him of this unbearable imperfection that he felt was a plague on his family's wellbeing.

An optimistic hypothetical. He longed for the day in which the anxiety of another outburst finally ceased, and he could finally give Valery the- THUNK. Head swirling around, BB-610 shook himself back into reality, train of thought ruined as he glanced at the object he'd just bumped into. It was an astromech droid, seemingly an M1-unit, of which seemed fairly familiar. Rather excited to speak to another astromech, he perked up,
clicking happily in greeting as he introduced his designation as BB-610, and bweeped curiously as he asked his fellow droid what its designation was, chipper and giddy.

GADividerBlue.png

Tag: BB-610 BB-610

Kat decided it was time to guide Shorty around the halls, allow him to see the temple and get to know the area that she was staying in. It had been held off long enough and she knew that she wasn't going to running off and chasing random adventures on far off planets so it would do M1-NI some good to settle in and get to know the other astromechs, especially since Shorty could get a little testy. Especially with those that he thought was a threat to his partnership with Kat, so it was her job to make sure he was realising that wasn't the case here. Kat had just needed time to figure out who she was and if she could be a Jedi once more, since she still felt that was a path lost to her due to everything that happened.

Hair tied into a loose ponytail and wearing her classic mechanic outfit of a stained white vest top and baggy trousers, Kat was leaving the hangar. She had spent the afternoon there with Shorty working on her personal N-Wing, it needed some tuning and getting the finesse sorted and Shorty was always the best in finding the tools and pushing the ships to their max. Helping her get the most out of them without destroying them. Something she realised was not a skill everyone had. "Okay Shorty, so we need to clear out the fuel lines and streamline the electronics. Simpler the electronics, the less that can go wrong." Kat was discussing with M1-NI who was nodding his head as he glided alongside her towards her onsite room which was a makeshift workstation.

As they turned a corner, there was a loud THUD, as two droids collided. Kat looked over and saw a BB unit had bumped into Shorty. She groaned because she knew this was an accident but that Shorty would not be pleased. He was never pleased when there was a risk of dents or scratches, he tended to have a lot of vanity. Which was surprising given that Kat never displayed such vanity. As she predicted as she walked over, the BB unit was greeting itself and it was displaying curiosity and friendliness towards Shorty.

Shorty, however, was not pleased. He was cursing and telling the BB unit to pay more attention. Until Kat squatted between them. "Shorty, be nice. Accidents happen and nothing was scuffed or damaged. Don't be such a moody poodoo head and apologise for being rude." Her voice was gentle but stern, she understood why Shorty was upset, but lashing out was never the answer.

Reluctantly, Shorty whirled his head around in a big sigh before telling BB-610 that he was M1-NI, Shorty, astromech for Kat Decoria. "And, I'm Kat, pleased to meet you BB-610." Letting the BB unit know that she could understand the droids.

ᴏɴᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴢᴇʀᴏᴇꜱ

bb610.png

GADividerBlue.png

Well, this was certainly not the outcome he had expected. BB-610 wasn't all that versed in relations with other droids to begin with, and the bare minimum of politeness had been exerted out of an over-reliance on good manners carrying the conversation - something that had backfired tremendously. In a matter of seconds, BB-610 had the wind blown out of his sails, optic constricting in surprise as his fellow astromech yelled obscenities at him, each word more scathing than the last. With a blanket of guilt wrapping around him, the BB unit's head slowly lowered down the curve of his shell in an attempt to appear smaller, shrinking in shame and eyeing the floor out of sheer inability to look the other droid in the optic.

Without a backbone to speak up, BB-610 was more than prepared to suffer biting remarks for the indefinite future, until the sound of footsteps provided a welcomed distraction, pulling the droid's attention away from the floor and peering up at the woman that had walked over. Rolling back ever so slightly, both to give her more room as well as to subtly distance himself from the other droid, BB-610 watched as his bitter counterpart was chastised, getting the BB unit perking up with a wave of relief. Casting one final glance to M1-NI as he begrudgingly apologized, BB-610 shyly nodded, bweeping in approval. With that being said, the damage had already been done, as he promptly rolled behind the woman's - Kat's - legs, not wishing to risk any more upsets to the other droid.

Kat seemed far more patient, at any rate. Fixing his optic on her, BB-610 bweeped and chirped, telling her that he's Master Valery's droid. Peaking around her legs to glance at her N-wing, the astromech quickly realized why the human and her droid had seemed so familiar. Speaking in some more binary, BB-610 added that he recognized that exact model from the scuffle against the enemy listening outpost in Maw space. Now much more confident, the astromech began happily circling around her feet, chirping excitedly. Not only was Kat giving off kind vibes, but she was also among the many pilots that had helped him and Valery, and she looked to be a mechanic, as well.

Perhaps... she could help him?
It was worth a shot, he wagered.

Rolling to a halt, BB-610 bweeped some more, softly asking her if she was a mechanic, and that if she was, if she could help him with some programming issues.

GADividerBlue.png

The reaction from the BB unit was interesting. It was not the reaction she had expected, some astromechs were known to be fiery tempered, sassy or even aggressive when provoked but to see the droid meek, shy and afraid. It spoke to something far wider, far more upsetting, at least for Kat. It was a temperament she had known in organics approaching her for discreet help from situations that were better left unsaid. When the droid hid behind Kat, Shorty puffed up ready to try being dominant mean astromech once more, but Kat simply place a hand on his body and looked at him with eyes that instantly changed Shorty's mood. The droid was the only one who could read Kat from nonverbal communication, able to share sentences with a simple gesture, movement or reaction. It was because Kat had allowed Shorty to analyse and read her as she trained, fought others in sparring matches and discussed at length what it meant to communicate and share as Echani. He knew what she believed this droid was demonstrating and Shorty's attitude and tone was much softer, much more genuine.

Kat smiled, "Master Valery? Well, you are certainly in good hands then. My brief meeting with her, I can tell she is a good person to be around." Kat smiled warmly, her careful fingers checking for dings or scuffs on BB-610 from the accidental bumping. "Forgive M1-NI for the attitude issue, he is very new here and can be hard to for him to be comfortable around strangers, he also gets a bit aggressive and prove himself to be tougher since he feels small to some of the other droids and astromechs. I am sure the two of you will get along in time though." Kat stated and Shorty, not wanting to seem to swayed by her words mumbled a maybe but he was already thinking of activities they could share like oil baths and races around the Temple.

"That one?" Looking back at the ship then at the droid, "yeah, we were there. I had Shorty take over the controls while I did the Battle Meditation. I hear you and Master Valery did some good work, working in tandem with her husband as well. That must have been exciting." Kat chuckled as Shorty mentioned he enjoyed the fireworks they all made. "He says this now, he was terrified at the fact that I was leaving us somewhat open to counterattacks since he had to drive." Shorty huffed at that.

Placing her hand on her mouth in thought. "What did you need?" Her mind thought to simple adjustments to perhaps even using Mechu Deru, a skill she learnt from Allyson, it could help out the unit with more complex issues.

ᴏɴᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴢᴇʀᴏᴇꜱ

bb610.png

GADividerBlue.png

Perhaps it was because the droid was - still - far too touch starved for his own good, but BB-610 found himself leaning forward as Kat ran her fingers along his chassis, cooing soothingly. He knew very well just how aggressive astromechs could do; territorial, in a way, and while BB-610 held no grudge towards M1-NI, there nonetheless lingered an air of tension between them, with the skittish BB unit unwilling to look at him after leaving such a visceral impression. The moody droid reminded him of himself during his episodes, and that stark image left him rather bitter to say the least.

Hopefully Kat could help him with that.

Bouncing his attention between astromech and master, BB-610 felt rather bashful at the woman's compliments, wobbling subtly and chirping in modest appreciation. As the two of them bantered, exchanged sarcasms and huffs, BB-610 felt as though he was a spectator watching something he shouldn't, yet he couldn't quite pull his focus away. The dynamic between a human and their droid was still a novel concept to him, as an astromech who had never had a real owner prior to Valery. It was fascinating, although it certainly got him missing her company the longer he watched.

"What did you need?"

Musing on what words to use, BB-610 chose his answer carefully, as well as somewhat nervously under the pressure of another astromech's attention. Quietly, as if Shorty would somehow be unable to hear him despite being right next to him and separate only by a pair of legs, BB-610 glanced up at Kat, shamefully bweeping and tweeting as he told her that he still had some leftover programming that got made him occasionally lash out. With another string of binary, the droid added that since Kat was a mechanic, he was hoping she'd be able to remove it.

Blissfully unaware of the complications of such a procedure, BB-610 was far too enveloped in ignorant hope to consider how much of an impossibility that could be. There was no harm in trying, however, and if it meant pleasing Valery with no more anger outbursts, BB-610 would be willing to go through anything.

GADividerBlue.png

"Shorty. Fetch my datapad, tools and a scanner. Should be in my room and on the desk." Kat gave Shorty a small smile as the droid looked to her, then the droid, knowing the difficulties of adjusting behaviours without memory wipes or creating more erratic behaviours in droids. It was going to be a complex puzzle but Kat's mind was whirling with ideas and possibilities of what she could do to solve such a complex issue.

Looking at BB-610, she sat down to get comfortable and smiled at the droid. "So, I am gunna need to scan you first, check out what we have to deal with. Then I will have to try and do some hacking and software manipulation. Fingers crossed whoever installed the behaviours inside you were not too smart so I can adjust easily. I could also try using the Force, a power called Mechu Deru. Something I learnt from another Jedi that helps when working with droids and technology. Might be able to do some things that a normal mechanic cannot do."

Pausing, "but I would only do that if you wanted me to. It is a power I am skilled with but not one too common amongst the Jedi so not sure if you want me to try it out." Kat stated honestly as she smiled politely. It was something she had tried with Shorty in the past with some success but she never messed too much with his programming since she found him perfect as he was.

Not taking too long, M1-NI returned carrying her equipment in a haphazard manner and placed them in front of Kat. "Lets begin with the scan then!" She smiled as she scanned BB-610 to see what she would be dealing with in terms of software.

ᴏɴᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴢᴇʀᴏᴇꜱ

bb610.png

GADividerBlue.png

As BB-610 watched his fellow astromech wheeled off, it left the droid time to ponder on what Kat had offered him. It was something he hadn't thought about too often, but, to his surprise, his internal storage and memory banks hadn't been touched once since he left his past behind him. Even when he belonged to The Eternal Empire, no snooping or changes had been made; a stark contrast to the daily memory wipes he received under The First Order. All the same, the notion of someone - even one working with The Galactic Alliance - poking and prodding inside personal files stored inside him felt... perverse. It was an uncomfortable idea, and BB-610's guttural instinct was to immediately decline the offer and abort the request, but perhaps being pushed outside of his comfort zone wasn't something to be shunned.

If it meant making Valery's life easier, then he would do it, no matter the price or consequence.

Hesitantly, BB-610 nodded, cautiously chirping that he was fine with the procedure, and that Kat could do whatever she had to do. Watching her droid return with the supplies she'd asked for, BB-610 breathed a synthetic, metallic sigh as he prepared himself, chassis trembling as he shook his nerves off and primed himself for a scan. That was the easy part. The anxiety came from what the results would be.

Focusing his gaze on the floor, BB-610 allowed Kat to scan him. After a few minutes, she would get her results as the scanner revealed the diagnostic: all systems were perfectly operational, however, an abnormality had been detected within the cycled code between the droid's memory banks and his personality module. It seemed as though there was a segment missing, which would occasionally prompt his systems to fall back on the very first line of programming he'd been created with.

GADividerBlue.png

Placing the datapad down so that the results were transparent. Kat wasn't going to hide anything nor would she try deceiving the droid since she held a lot of respect for Valery and the droid was clearly connected and close to the Jedi Master so she was determined to show a similar level of respect to her. Tapping on the screen, she opened a few tabs and highlighted the few key software coding lines. "So, seems to be clear that you have unfortunately missing key segments, this causes programming to cycle back to the start. Might need to break down the systems and see if I can find the missing segments in lost or archived memory banks. Even if they aren't segments you want to reinstall, understanding what is missing will help in replacing the segments and bringing you to stable programme cycle."

Tapping away at the datapad, she looked around the memory files, "so, I know this can be nerve wracking. I wouldn't be pleased if someone was going through my brain and fiddling around, I know M1-NI and I would hate someone probing around his memory and software. So, you want me to stop or if you want to wait and check with Valery about going ahead with any software changes then just say." Kat wanted to stress that this was a process she would not do without the droid's consent and happy to wait.

Smiling warmly, she allowed BB-610 to watch her search around and investigate the memory banks, and other areas, in search of the missing segments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom