Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better, Faster, Stronger (Open to SSC)

Valae stepped out onto the training grounds at the Silver Temple; her footsteps were a bit hesitant. She was still relatively new to the temple, and there was much that she needed to learn, and new skills that needed to be honed. The new padawan was dressed in a lightweight training outfit, and looked a bit out of place among the others that were already immersed in their routines. She was standing off to the side, gently kicking at the dirt with the toe of her boot. Valae’s gaze drifted aimlessly from person to person, lamenting the fact that everyone looked so very fit. Her head turned as she watched a male student running swiftly, his movements were effortless and fluid; as if being active came naturally to him.

After a few minutes of quiet observing, she figured that she’d spent enough time procrastinating and sighed slightly. “Ok, Val…” She said quietly. “You can do this.” The padawan started to run, looking much like someone that had been thrust into a marathon without any training. She began to travel in a large circle around the training grounds, her feet falling heavy upon the ground with each stride. The breaths came steady and deep at first, but quickly became ragged and labored as she continued to jog. Valae knew that she had only been running for a few minutes, but was starting to feel dizzy as her quick breaths were not keeping up.

She tried to push herself a little more, but her pace started to slow and her strides became shorter. It wasn’t long before she had slowed into a brisk walk, and then again until she was barely walking at all. Valae bent at the waist and panted for a moment, her eyes on the ground as she tried to regain her composure. Slowly she straightened up and started to walk, dragging her feet slightly as she went. Valae’s hand found her side, grasping the site of sharp stabbing pains.

She’d known all along that she was out of shape, but she hadn’t been expecting it to be this bad. It was going to be a long afternoon…

The Voss sun was high in the morning sky. It wasn't quite midday yet, but it was getting there. It had been a while since Krux decided to work on some physical training himself, but today seemed like a nice day. There were plenty of other students out in the courtyard sparring and doing other exercises. The single attribute he could see from the Jedi exercising was how relaxed and self-motivated they appeared to be. As a young Sith hopeful, Krux had tons of..."motivation" from other Sith trainers at the various Academies he trained on. Not to mention his sadistic grandfather and monsterous, pain-loving togruta master. Most Acolytes were driven by pain. These Padawans all practised at their own paces.

Krux recognized a familiar student he had met who seemed to be struggling to keep herself running. It was no lack of cardio or muscle, but more of breath control and a lack of stamina. Krux knew he was still a student of the Light Side, but he knew battle and he knew physical training. Perhaps he could help. Still wearing his typical white-beige jedi robe and mask, Krux approached [member="Valae Kitra"] out in the courtyard. "You look like you could use some help. I believe I can help you build your stamina, if you don't mind, but it is not done like this. You mind?" he asked, gesturing behind him toward some other students who were sparring with wooden training weapons. A good way to build one's stamina was to push oneself to their limit, and what better way of doing that than learning the weight of a weapon a Jedi would wield for the rest of their life?

Slipping gloved fingers up beneath his mask, depositing a piece of dried fruit into his mouth, and munching away. He'd not actually visited the training ground in many days, instead preferring to train in the depths of the forest. Seclusion, the latent ebbs and flows for the Force, and even the conflict within the environment and self of the Dark Side. He embraced the challenge, learning more and more of himself through his interactions with nature, with self, and even with those foolish enough to venture into his neck of the woods.

But, today he could be seen perched on a random column. He chose it because it was up, it was out of the way, and it granted him a great vantage point of the surrounding training grounds. He watched individuals sparring. With each other, with training dummies, and even against 'phantom' enemies as he himself can be found doing in the dark forest. There was that girl. From the other day. Zak's friend. And.... judging by the aura.... the masked man from that very same day.

As they conversed, well within his heightened hearing range, he could only chuckle to himself. Yes, the young woman did need some assistance, in some way, shape, or form. But, conversely, so did the man. A friend. So, he'd watch the two, keenly intrigued. Perhaps the one seeking to aid, would be the one more aided, in this exchange. Smirking behind his mask, he'd lift it slightly to plant yet another dried fruit on his tongue.

[member="Valae Kitra"] | [member="Krux Mullarus"]​

Valae was thankful for a reason to stop walking, and she offered [member="Krux Mullarus"] a tired smile. “Hi, Krux!” She said breathlessly as she put her hands on her hips, trying to act casual, and not as though she were about to fall over. When she realized that Krux had seen her poor display of running, she flushed a bit, feeling embarrassed. “Is it that obvious?” She asked with a laugh, she must have been quite the sight. So running was not the way to increase stamina? That was fine with her, and she nodded to the masked man.

“I would really appreciate the help.” She said, her expression reflecting sudden determination. By now Valae had caught her breath and was looking far better now that the color had returned to her face. Once again, she had the strangest feeling that they were being watched and she blinked a few times. She scanned the training grounds quickly, but only saw other students; they were all engaged in training, she hadn’t thought to check the nearby trees.

“So, what do I need to do?” She asked, turning back to Krux.

[member="Ryn'Dhal"]

She remembered him. Awesome. He was starting to make friends. He waved her over to a rack with wooden sparring weapons on it. Unlike the ones he'd seen in Sith Academies, these were all the same. Simple slender kendo-like tools of equal length with narrow basket hilts. There were no giant, greatsword-length blades like with what Krux was used to using. He never intended for his new lightsaber to be like Bleeding Cross anyway. It would be a normal saber. Time to get used to the traditional style again.

He took two, tossing one to her. "Here. Get a feel for the weight for a minute. They may look light, but you may be surprised. They weigh pretty close to that you will feel a lightsaber will weigh. You might think, 'But a lightsaber's just a hilt with a blade of light. How does light have weight?' Well, that's how regular, boring people feel lightsabers." he said with a chuckle, "We, as Force-Sensitives, can feel the weight of a lightsaber's blade with help from the Force. It adds weight to it and makes it more natural to wield." he said, not realizing he was lecturing already as he twirled his kendo freely as if it weighed nothing to him.

"That's why those without the Force are prone to harming themselves with lightsabers. They may have the blade activated, but if they touch that blade they cant feel or control naturally, they're gonna lose a limb. Now tell me, Vaela, do you know of the Lightsaber Forms?"

[member="Valae Kitra"] / [member="Ryn'Dhal"]

Popping the last of the dried fruits into his mouth, the masked Jedi would leap from his perch. An artful roll through the air, largely unseen by those training, would find the cloaked figure perching silently upon the rock the two he was observing were near. Shifting his posture into an attentive, semi-meditative sitting position, he'd look between the two, and almost impish-glee in the air around him. "I do pray you won't find me intrusive, but I would also like to assist, if possible or needed. Perhaps if you advance into basics of sparring, and exchanging of blows, I could stand in so she could witness objectively?"

His golden eyes would glint through the thin slits of his mask, watching the two. "Krux, was it?" He'd ask, locking eyes on the similarly masked man, then shifting back to the girl. "And..." He'd start snapping his gloved fingers, as if trying to evoke a memory to mind. "Valae? Yes, that seems correct." He'd say, giving a nod. "So, what say the two of you, may I observe, and perhaps even assist?" He would be grinning, though they surely could not see it.

[member="Krux Mullarus"] | [member="Valae Kitra"]​

Valae caught the wooden training sword and held it down by her side as she listened to Krux. At least swords were user friendly, and the novice did not need to worry about what end to hold, or how to work it. She lifted the sword overhead, holding the hilt with both hands, and swung it up and down a couple times. One often underestimates the weight of a wooden weapon, it feels nice and light at first, but swiftly becomes heavier with fatigue. Valae’s eyes shifted upwards when she heard [member="Krux Mullarus"] asking her a question.

“Lightsaber forms?” She hadn’t even realized that there was more than one. “Master Heavenshield and I haven’t talked much about sabers yet.”

Her attention was pulled in the direction of another voice, one that was also familiar, belonging to Ryn’Dhal. Valae smiled at the offer of assistance, and wondered for a moment if there was something about her that seemed to attract masked men. "Hello, again! Thanks for your help, the more the merrier." Sparring? Exchanging blows? She wasn’t quite sure if she was ready for that, the thought seemed intimidating. “If you two want to show me how it’s done, that would be great.” She said with a nod, and held the training sword out to [member="Ryn'Dhal"].

Master Heavenshield

Of course. No wonder she was with the Grandmaster and his son on Felucia. She's his Padawan. Suddenly, Krux felt like she didn't need his guidance, but...well, it couldn't hurt, could it?

"Well, there are seven. I'll sho-"

Mullarus stopped when someone seemed to fall off of something nearby. Turning his head, he saw another masked man who apparently didn't fall from anywhere, but jumped. Oh c'mon, masks aren't a fashion statement for Jedi, are they? The man began to speak. He sounded friendly enough, which made sense, Jedi weren't usually looking to be disgusting people unlike the Sith.

When Valae offered her sword to him, Krux made a face beneath his mask. "I wasn't going to spar with you. No offense to you, but that...wouldn't be that fair. I was going to demonstrate Form I, the lightsaber form that most Jedi learn at a very young age to learn the feel of a lightsaber before moving on to more advanced forms. But..." his indigo eyes switched to the other masked man, "If you are looking to spar, i'm open. Yes, my name is Krux."

"Oh no no, I feel you would be better served to practice along side Padawan Krux." He'd smile with those golden eyes. "And yes Krux, I do believe we shall cross blades together my friend. Few things reveal as much of a warriors heart as the dance of a duel." His musical laugh flitting out, slightly distorted by the mask he wore. Politely declining the training sword, he'd nod to Krux.

"I merely wished to offer my services as a stand in object lesson, should you have wished to demonstrate sparring or other forms. But by all means, my experience is largely limited to Shii-Cho, Soresu, and Ataru. Perhaps I'll even learn from you as well my friend." He'd say, bowing slightly to the other masked man.

"It was not my intent to disrupt and commandeer your lesson Krux."

Valae pulled the training sword back to her side and nodded, it appeared that there was no way to escape more physical activity for now. Though she was feeling thankful that they didn't expect her to attempt sparring now, it would have been a very sad sight. "Hmm, ok. I'm ready." She said, nodding her head, but feeling a bit unsure of herself. Valae moved over so that she was standing next to Krux, and could mirror the moves he made. Her eyes took in his stance, and she attempted to mimic this, but knew that she didn't look quite so strong or sure.

"How long have you been practicing?" She asked, looking between both of the masked men. Was her question out of curiosity or procrastination? Perhaps it was a bit of both. Valae knew that many of the Jedi had started their training when they were young, but she wondered how many there were like her, coming into the life a bit behind. She also wondered if she was a bit too late to the party, she hoped that she still had a chance. Where there was a will, there was a way, right?

[member="Krux Mullarus"], [member="Ryn'Dhal"]

When she appeared ready, Mullarus held his weapon with both hands, right above the left, with the tip pointed outward and up at a 55° angle. His legs were spread about a foot and a half apart with his right out about a foot in front.

"I've practiced lightsaber techniques for over eleven years. It's what i'm best at. Coming here to the Jedi Order, I wanted to stop fighting and focus on enlightenment through the Force...but I don't think I can do it. I have far too many enemies within the ranks of the Sith. I am, and always have been, a warrior."

He blinked, focusing once again on the task at hand.

"Let's get one thing straight. Both of you. I am not your master. Maybe here in the courtyard with swords in hand, I may have more experience, but we are all Padawans. I am your equal, as you are mine. I seek knowledge of the Jedi Code and the Light Side of the Force. Do not consider me authority. I'm just as new to some things as you two are.

"Now, I hope you've gotten used to standing like this. This is a balanced stance to take for beginners in learning to wield a lightsaber. This weapon you hold is wooden, but it is very close to the weight of a standard-style lightsaber. One you will likely build someday. How do we feel the weight of a blade made of light? The Force is imbued into the weapon. That is why we, as Force-Sensitives, can feel its weight and wield it like a knight wields a longsword, and those who cannot feel the Force as we do are open to harming themselves with a lightsaber just as much as their opponents. They do not feel the blade's weight.

"This stance is a good sparring stance. I will show you the most basic lightsaber form there is to know, one most jedi and sith learn at a young age. Are you ready, Valae?"
he asked, still holding the stance and turning his masked face to her, debating on taking it off for this. It was getting hard to speak in a muffled voice for this.

[member="Ryn'Dhal"] / [member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae assumed the stance that Krux was demonstrating for them, and she listened intently as he spoke. She wondered how many battles he had already seen, but perhaps that was a conversation for another day. When she thought about being faced with a situation where she needed to fight, she wasn’t sure she could handle it. It was against her nature to be violent, but she supposed it would be beneficial to learn how to defend herself. Judging by some of the things she had overheard around the Temple, there were people out in the galaxy that would not hesitate to harm her, and she needed to be ready. After all, there could come a day where she faced trouble alone.

“Yes, I’m ready” she said with a nod.

The padawan turned her eyes back to Krux, ready to make an attempt at mirroring his moves.

A low whistle would be emitted from behind his mask as his fellow mask-wearer replied with his years of experience training. "He's got me by a couple years, I'd say." He'd smile behind the mask, before giving a slight shake of his head at the brief.... rant? Perhaps? About not being anyone's Master or Instructor. "I won't speak for the lady, but I never perceived you as my Master, but I would say I view you as someone who could potentially open an instructional door for me in the saber arts. I do not, however, seek to profit from a peer without seeking to reimburse said friend with comparable knowledge, if it is in my repertoire to share." His masked face would cock at an angle, still preferring to observe, as he fell silent as Krux began basic introductions for Valae.

He would observe the subtle variances in Krux's aura. His gentle firmness. His kindness. Ryn'Dhal couldn't help but smirk behind his mask. Perhaps, at one time, this masked man was deserving of the severe animosity, and even hate, that Audren directed towards him.... But, Ryn was certain the creature that stood before him, next to the young woman, was a being who'd warrant such a response from a fellow Jedi. Krux's past is his own, and as such, it was his to learn from and move on from, or to wallow in and lose self to.

Thinking those thoughts, caused Ryn to stifle a snort of a laugh. His eyes shot wide, as he almost fell off his perch as he'd quickly wave his gloved hands before himself, trying to ease Valae and Krux's likely assumption of him laughing at either or both of them. "I beg your forgiveness! I path of though not involving the lesson or either of your performances went to a rather ironic place. Poor timing, for which I am truly sorry!" He'd apologize, lowering his head, neck and shoulders forwards in a deep bow on his perch.

The irony of which he spoke, was that while he was aware that Krux was the only one who could decide to learn from and release his past, or to obsess and be consumed by his past, it was the same for himself! Only he could ease his rage, and his animosity. It was high time he started.....

Krux was just about to begin when the strange, masked man seemed to snort like a pig and nearly fall off of the...pillar he perched himself upon. For a moment, he wondered if the man was sick. He opened his mouth to ask if he was alright, but was quickly overturned by apologies. Krux shrugged it off and returned his attention to the Way of the Sarlacc.

"Good. Your stance is ambitious, just loosen up a little. We're not actually about to fight anyone. Now, this form is the first of the seven lightsaber forms, Shii-Cho, the Way of the Sarlacc." he paused for a second, the word 'sarlacc' unearthing past memories he'd rather not focus on right now, "It was developed before all of the other forms. It is the form most jedi and sith learn when they're very young because, while mostly obselete today, it is an easy-to-learn and master form that acts as a gateway to the others. Learn to master this, and you will know how to master them all.

"Shii-Cho is performed by targeting certain areas of your opponents body. For example"
he made a horizontal, right-to-left sweep with his kendo, "Left torso. Right leg. Sword arm. The strikes are precise and accurate, but easy to see coming and therefore, simple to block and parry. This is what makes it obselete against other lightsaber-wielding opponents, and why Form II was invented later on when Jedi began battling more enemies that had lightsabers like them.

"However, one situation Shii-Cho has proven useful in is against groups of foes with no lightsaber to defend themselves with. Shii-Cho makes use of wide sweeps and strikes, so with a large-framed weapon, it can take down many enemies at once."
Krux speaks from experience, of course. His last weapon was a greatsword-sized lightsaber which excelled in practicing Form I and VII. Staying grounded and using sweeps and thrusts over all else had always been Krux's preferred method of battling.

Valae blinked and her gaze shifted to Ryn as he laughed. For a moment she wondered if there was something wrong with her stance, but she was put to ease when he assured them the laughter was not directed at either of them. She did chuckle a bit when he nearly fell from his perch, but she had to applaud his balance… she would have fallen down, she knew it for certain. As she resumed her concentration, she heard Krux alert her to the fact that she was looking a bit ridged. She hadn’t even realized how tense her shoulders were, and she tilted her head from side to side. Valae drew in a deep breath and attempted to relax her stance upon the exhale.

She listened quietly to Krux’s detailed explanation, and she noticed that her arms were already starting to shake. Valae was thankful when Krux began to demonstrate the movements needed to strike the target areas with Shii-Cho, and she mimicked them the best she could. The momentary movements gave some relief to her arms, but it still felt a bit awkward to her. It was clear that her strikes were a bit choppy, not smooth and practiced. She imagined an opponent for herself, and visualized striking the left torso, right leg and the opponent’s sword arm, which happened to be his right side in this exercise.

When her arms could no longer take the sword stance, she dropped the wooden weapon back down to her side. She let out a sigh of relief, but a smile found her face. It was apparent that this would be hard work, but she knew that she needed to try.

“Just a quick break…” She said with a hopeful glance to Krux, but she would soon be ready for more.

Ryn'Dhal couldn't keep from smiling, watching and listening to the two of them. Krux was a natural teacher. Ryn was certain this padawan would teach many in the future. His instructions were clear, concise, and easy to understand and follow. Evidence of this was given when Valae mimicked the movements. Not perfectly, and not with refine grace, but effective for a first attempt. The masked padawan could clearly see that the young woman's stamina for this type of work was exceedingly limited, but everyone needed a starting point!

Nodding almost imperceptibly when she asked for a break, Ryn hoped Krux would be of agreement. This would be the masked man's next 'test' of instruction in Ryn's eyes. Would the temporary tutor see his temporary pupils need for a brief respite? Ryn held high hopes for Krux's perceptiveness, and should the man do what was best for Valae, Ryn's grin would only end up growing all the wider.

While not learning anything in a 'practical' sense, Ryn was however gaining some insight in efficient teaching methods from his peer, and potential friend, and also learning much of his two peer's personalities. These lessons, the masked padawan felt, were much more rewarding than the saber-training he could have instead been doing deep in the woods, in his hidden clearing. An emotion he'd not really felt since before that witch caught him radiated from the padawan.

Contentment. Joy. Peace....

Krux looked at Valae from behind his mask, quickly noting how fatigued she had already become, which was good. The goal of this was to help build up her stamina, the fact that it was the most basic of lightsaber forms he was teaching was just a bonus. Krux waved his kendo and nodded, "Go ahead. Catch your breath." Overworking a student was just as bad as underoworking one, as he learned from teaching Sith Acolytes before his defection, something he'd rather not share with anyone else just yet. Even as a Sith, where most teachers would have overworked their students and been extremely hard on them for the sake of "Only the strong will survive" never made sense to Krux. It was always better to work with your students and motivate them to become the strong, rather than force them to succeed or die.

That always ended up in a relationship Krux shared with his old master, of whom he wanted nothing more than to destroy.

Krux couldn't help but feel the other masked man was watching and judging him. It made him slightly uncomfortable, like he was going to run along to the Jedi Council and tell them what kind of a job he was doing with Thurion's padawan, but he tried to ignore it and just focus on the actual training. He twirled his kendo in his hand absentmindedly as he waited, turning to Valae and watching her curiously.

When she had been rewarded with a quick break, Valae set down the wooden sword and had a seat on the grass. The cool breeze was even more refreshing than usual. With the weight of the sword out of her hands, her arms already felt so much lighter. However, she could already feel the soreness that was beginning to set in. The padawan knew that her muscles would be fatigued for the next day or so. It was one of the minor inconveniences of starting a new workout regimen, but it was also a positive sign of change.

Valae glanced up at Ryn, still perched above them, and fairly quiet during her lesson. She wondered just what was going on beneath that mask, it was all very mysterious. It was easiest for her to gauge how social interactions were going by facial expressions, tone of voice and posture. She was finding it a bit more difficult with these masked men, but she thought that things were going well enough, judging by the hints that she could read. Valae was breathing easy now as she sat on the ground, and she took that as a sign that she should start back up again. With a bit of a groan, she pushed herself up again and retrieved the wooden sword.

“Alright!” she smiled. “Ready when you are.”

Krux turned back to her and nodded, raising his kendo in her direction with both hands. "Now I want you to practice some Shii-Cho strikes on me. Don't worry about hurting me, i'm used to far worse. Not to mention i'll be blocking your strikes. Just focus on the target areas. Get used to your weapon's weight. You'll know you're learning when your arms get sore." he said, watching her from behind his mask. "Try to get past my blocks when you get a feel for it. I won't strike back, so don't worry about defense yet. I want you to get a hang of Form I first. Okay?"

His eyes briefly turned to the other masked Jedi as well, still curious as to what he was hoping to gain from just watching.

Valae resumed her stance, this time feeling a bit more confident. She listened and gave a nod to signal that she understood Krux’s instructions. Her eyes shifted to Krux and she took a deep breath. ‘Strike for the target areas…’ she thought to herself. ‘Left torso…. Right leg, or was it left leg? And sword arm.’ Valae’s focused waned for a moment as she tried to remember which leg to strike out at, until she made a decision. She came forward; her movements deliberate, yet somewhat tentative and she swung the sword in an arc that aimed for Krux’s right leg. Her wooden sword gave a gentle ‘tap’ against his sword, when the move was countered.

Ok, she realized that she should have put a bit more force behind her motions and moved away to regroup. The padawan made a decision about her next move, and it was fairly apparent, as she was staring fixedly at Krux’s left side. Valae moved forward again, this time with a considerable amount of force and speed guiding her. Again she swung out with her sword, this time her arms brought the sword around a bit wide, and the blade glanced off of Krux’s. It was at that very moment that she lost her footing and tumbled to the ground, landing with a thud somewhere behind Krux.

Valae groaned and rolled onto her back, her eyes squinting up at the sun. She figured that this was all part of the learning process, and decided that she would just stay on the ground for a few moments.

“I’m ok…” She muttered, the enthusiasm for learning was fading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom