Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better Faction Roleplay

Hey Chaos,

Some of you may have read a recent post I made suggesting that we all spend a bit more time putting our character's developments, and into the wars that we so love to fight. Otherwise if you haven't feel free to do so or disregard it all together. I'm here to talk about something else.

Factions are great but in my experience every roleplay community struggles to come up with agreeable terms for how factions must engage in wars, conquests, alliances, and politics. Political RP seems to be one of those love-or-hate things but when multiple people of many walks of life aim to rule their own faction you will always find conflict of interest.

A key to having successful faction roleplay -- that I've found -- is that not everything has to be organic. Sometimes a bit of preplanning and limitations can go a long way to improve the quality of roleplay. Be warned, however, turning from a strong roleplay community into a lite roleplaying game is a common mistake from going down this path. We want to allow people as much free form as possible, or at least I do, without it inevitably screwing someone over. Keeping as many people happy as possible. So I came up with an idea.

What if factions had to pick a focus? Before you skip to the reply section please do hear me out.

In many lore pieces, RPGs, and EU editions The Republic is always this large galactic government but inevitably turns out to be militarily weak -- requiring the Jedi to keep them strong. Why? Well one theory is that with so much political diversity you need a very complex government, which means so much focus is drawn away that it becomes difficult to have a proper defense force. Funding, personnel, and support is hard to come by. So it makes sense. But for Chaos this doesn't exist unless faction leaders want it to.

In that I find that it'd make plenty of sense that all the major factions -- perhaps minors too -- should have a specific focus. Now two reasons for this idea.

1.) It'll help factions roleplay better by giving them direction to go off; inevitably shaping a faction's culture.
2.) It'll keep some balance between factions, encourage cooperation, and create distinct advantages and disadvantages.

An example of my idea:

Production Focus: A faction focuses on producing new technologies, starships, weapons, vehicles, and developing their nation at large through industry and production. Perhaps this means factions have a set number of affiliated factory submissions and by focusing on production you get a bonus to that number.

Expansion Focus: A faction focuses on expanding their borders by invading enemy territory and bringing rogue worlds under their belt. Perhaps this means they get a bonus to how many dominion/invasion threads they can have, or cut back the number of posts required to successfully do so.

Research Focus: A faction focuses on researching into advancing its technologies and acquiring rare resources and knowledge to do so. Perhaps this means they require less dev thread posts to complete certain dev threads or are given more leeway towards specific restrictions.

All of these ideas are purely hypothetical and left up to debate. The core framework of this idea is what I'm trying to pitch here, so please give your thoughts but feel free criticize my examples just as much.

lordmitmar

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]

I agree with this. From what i've seen, factions have no real reason to cooperate.

I like to see my companies as a game of rock paper scissors anyway...

[member="Mit Tuxaire"]

I could definitely see more faction loyalty coming from companies as well. A few factions do this properly. Namely the Mandos and One Sith from what I've seen. Not saying that I think companies should be strictly loyal to one faction.. But it does make sense that companies which produce war machines should share loyalty to the faction that gives them a home and perhaps may even have some influence of its own.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]
I actually refer to all of the factions.

We do not advertise it to the world, but nearly every faction has something that they stand/lean on to get where they are. The Mandalorians are a resource-based society. The Republic are scientific weirdos. The Protectorate are a mixture of Science and Production (they only expand through diplomacy). The One Sith are an expansionist group. The Fringe are expansionist and explorative. The ACA/ASA/CIS is research oriented.

Most factions fall under those three. I don't even know an iota of what the Primeval is, let alone how they operate.

Felix Sin said:
You mean One Sith are scientific weirdos right?
First: Sith Alchemy is Sith Magic that has been used to manipulate life, it is not science in the way science is actually used.
Second: No. I mean we invade, invade, dominion, etc. That's how we work. Just because we have someone obsessed with submitting things does not mean our focus is on that. I dare stick my neck out and say I resent the image being portrayed because of it.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Factions already have focus.
  • Major: The Map.
  • Minor: Anything else.

This suggestion only limits our options rather than broadening them. Thusly, or should I say 'instead', let us simply encourage the already existing factions to take another look at different types of roleplaying and their advantages. More, for everybody. :D

[member="Darth Vitium"]

I was merely making a joke :p

But yeah, I can see it.

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

I've taken this stance numerous times in nearly every community I've been part of... I'm a pretty big junkie when it comes to Political RP, been hopping communities for the last 5 or 6 years towards that. There's always two sides to the debate: One side wants very little limitations and astounding levels of freedom to roleplay and the other wants lots of restrictions and rules. Both have their merits and i'd actually say this community managed to find a pretty solid start at somewhere right in the middle.

I do agree though. A lot of encouragement is needed to get existing factions to roleplay more strongly but it's harder to that organically than mechanically.

I love how the debate always comes back to "Major Factions can already do this", meaning these ideas can be implemented - but since Staff isn't enforcing them, the Major Factions have to *choose* to do these things.

Just goes to show you that Factions have a crap ton of freedom.

Tefka said:
Just goes to show you that Factions have a crap ton of freedom.
This is why I feel there needs to be a bit more mechanics to these things rather than all letting it happen as pleased. But the freedom vs restrictions debate is always too black and white. Some things need freedoms and other things need less freedoms.

People don't have to necessarily agree with my ideas but having things along those lines would go a long way. Who knows? Perhaps these upcoming wars might shed some light on where changes need to be made and where the foot needs to be firmly placed.

I like the idea, but I feel like that with the dynamic nature of factions and government in general factions will easily switch their focus around dependant on their needs.

Hell, they could change their focus from one thread to the next just to get the bonuses.

It's a good idea on the surface and can be done now theoretically (if the factions all somehow agreed to unanimously accept it) without additional regulations, but once you start actually regulating it, it goes down the hairy road of having to add more regulation until the factions are no longer happy with the system despite the initial possible benefits of playing along with it.

Though it would add a level of strategy if inherent weaknesses were added with the bonuses, so as to force them to choose when they apply a certain strategy, which might open up opportunities in other factions to exploit a weakness. But I feel like this could quickly become a regulatory nightmare for staff checking up on the focuses of all the factions given a certain time period for any event that happens between them.

Darth Vitium said:
. The Protectorate are a mixture of Science and Production (they only expand through diplomacy).

I recall Siobhan expanding the Protectorate's borders through bloody violence in her time. It's had its share of 'humanitarian dominions', but it's hardly been peaceful and pacifist (that's the Levantine Sanctum). Otherwise the Druckenwell invasion wouldn't have happened. :D

[member="Darth Vitium"]

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
giphy.gif

[member=Fatty]
I totally agree. As I mentioned in my original post, doing this kinda stuff can turn an RP community into a lite roleplaying game and by that point drama ensues; it can work, it just requires caution.

Per the faction switching I had a brief discussion about that with a friend: Perhaps factions could only change monthly or bymonthly. It'd help with the dynamic but make reasonable sense that a faction couldn't just up and change policies on the fly but not that changes can't be done.

Change is great when possible and desired. If not then so be it and let's move on.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Anja Aj'Rou"] I think what I meant is: Nothing is stopping Factions from doing this, right now.

Thusly, go for it Anja. Tell us how it goes. However, continue to suggest that the entire community needs to limit it's own freedoms, increase Staff dutes, and conform to your unique perspective of 'what is better'? ...Anddd, you'll probably have a hard time with that. Haha. Lulz.

At this point, all I can say is: Keep up the good fight. Teach, encourage, and rally support. Maybe someday the community will be ready for that. Cheers and good luck. :D

Anja Aj'Rou said:
All of these ideas are purely hypothetical and left up to debate. The core framework of this idea is what I'm trying to pitch here, so please give your thoughts but feel free criticize my examples just as much.

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

Hence why I asked for constructive feedback :) not asking anyone to conform. And the only way to know if something is better is to try it, and not that I'm not already following up with that perspective. It's how I got the idea in the first place. Nonetheless thank you for your feedback, it's duly noted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom