Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Bes'uliik Starfighter - "Angel" Variant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create a pair of customized Bes'uliik elite starfighters for Anija Ordo and Arrbi Betna
Development Threads:

Pickaxes in Space - Stygium Mining Thread
Angels of Death - Starfighter Upgrade Thread (This thread is not finished, however, the sections on the actual upgrades is. The rest is just more relationship building between Anija and Arrbi with a possible fade to black.)

Total relevant post count: 58 posts

Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics, Anija Ordo, Arrbi Betna
Model: Bes'uliik Starfighter

Affiliation: Arrbi Betna, Anija Ordo
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics, Anija Ordo, Arrbi Betna
Model: Bes'uliik Starfighter
Modularity: Yes, it can be modded, but with further dev threads only.
Production: Unique (2)
Material: Beskar (Canon to the starfighter), Stygium, durasteel, and other Bes'uliik Starfighter components
Classification: Elite Starfighter
Length: 15m
Height: 4m
Width: 8m

Armament*:
  • 3x Heavy Blaster Cannons
  • 2x Weapon Mounts (Canon - These count as the two missile allotments allowed, but can be swapped for a standard ion/mass driver/lasercannon mount each. These can also be swapped for a bomb each [I've been using 250kg bombs with the canon version, so I'll go by that here as a max weight limit])
  • 1x Reinforced Weapon Mount (This I figured would be a heavy/repeating weapon OR a single standard weapon OR another 250kg bomb. No missile tube here.)

Special Features:

• Communications Array
  • Solar Ionization Reactor
  • Encryption Network
  • Ejection Seat
  • Holonet Transceiver
  • Stygium Cloak
  • Booster Ability
  • Standard Life Support Systems
  • Standard Navigational Systems
  • Standard Sensor Array
  • Standard Targeting Systems
  • Other systems standard to the Bes'uliik canonically have been updated as well

Maneuverability Rating: 5
Speed Rating: 5, though with the Booster ability, the ship jumps to Speed 4 with risk of engine damage**
Hyperdrive Class: .4 (canon to the Bes'uliik Starfighter)

Strengths:
  • Stygium Cloak
  • Beskar Plating
  • Canon durability
  • Booster Engine
  • Increased armament loadout
  • Modular weapons
Weaknesses:
  • Cannot use booster and stygium cloak together
  • Modular weapon loadout is limited
  • Vulnerable engines
  • Booster engine modifies speed, not maneuverability
  • Heavy Starfighter is heavy.

Description:

After training and fighting in the standard Bes'uliik starfighter, Betna realized that while the old bird was tough as nails and did the jobs it needed to do, it was getting on in years and could really use an update. With that in mind, he brought in another, Anija Ordo, to help him update a pair of Bes'uliik starfighters to both modern standards and their own.

The two fighters, nicknamed the "Angel" variants, are highly customized and personalized Bes'uliik starfighters. The intent was to create an air superiority craft that could easily and naturally swap between air control, ground assault, and more specialized roles. To do this, Stygium was gathered from Aeten by both Betna and Anija. The Crystals found were cut and shaped to fit into a stygium cloaking device designed by Anija, with help from ANNE and Mandal Hypernautics assets. This device allows the Bes'uliik starfighters to cloak at will, hiding them from visual and sensor observation. The next upgrade were the engines. The standard engines were showing their age, which prompted Betna to create a more modern, and customized, version. The result was an up-to-date engine with a "burst" ability. This ability allows the Bes'uliik fighters to gain speed very quickly to keep up with the more agile and nimble starfighters around them, often surprising their enemies. The downsides are that the engine is prone to burnout, a risk that rises with each use, and that the ability cannot be used while cloaked due to the cloaking field's power draw. The tradeoff was considered an even one as while the "boost" ability would burn out, the engines would remain more or less intact as the chance of stalling out was minimal.

The next updates were the weapons and the on board systems. The four standard cannons were swapped for a trio of heavy blaster cannons to increase the firepower to modern levels. Underneath, a reinforced hardpoint was added to the existing two hardpoints, allowing for more weapons to be loaded. The loadouts are modular, but are limited in many ways to prevent excessive power draw and internal space restrictions (details in the armament area). The systems are fully updated to modern standards and are synced to both Arrbi's and Anija's helmet systems, allowing them to verbally control the starfighter as well as manually through the controls.

The starfighters retain their famed resiliency and beskar plating along with their general design and layout. Minimal changes to the original design outside of updates and new parts were done and, outside of the weapons, engine, cloak, and HUD systems, the starfighter is unchanged.

There are drawbacks to the design, however. The cloak and boost ability cannot be used simultaneously or the engine will overload and stall out entirely. The fighter is also beskar plated, which means that while it is heavily armored, it is less maneuverable, even with the boosted speed. The upgraded engine's boost ability has a tendency to burn out, leaving the ability useless for the rest of the engagement (Read: Thread). Lastly, due to the engine's power level output, excessive damage to the engine can force an emergency shutdown. In this situation, the engine shuts off entirely and prevents the starfighter from extreme damage, but leaves the Bes'uliik dead in the water and forces the pilot to "dead-stick" the craft to a crash landing when in atmosphere.

Development Thread:

• Pickaxes in Space - Stygium Mining Thread
  • Angels of Death - Starfighter Upgrade Thread (This thread is not finished, however, the sections on the actual upgrades is. The rest is just more relationship building between Anija and Arrbi with a possible fade to black.)
  • Total relevant post count: 58 posts

Intent: To create a pair of customized Bes'uliik elite starfighters for Anija Ordo and Arrbi Betna

*The total number of weapons will not exceed 10 guns (this is with the 50% penalty for full trade off of missiles to guns included) or 8 gun points (four physical guns) and two missile tubes. In essence, it's an Elite Starfighter with two extra points to guns (or one bomb), but only one hardpoint to spend it on and it can't be another missile tube.

**We'll actually be rolling a 100 sided die on this one and posting the result. Each time of use, it starts at 90% chance of success. Each subsequent use drops it by 10% to a minimum of 10% chance. If it fails, the engine can no longer boost for that thread. The engine also requires a cool down (3-5 posts) before being used again (this prevents spamming the booster).

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

Very nice sub! :) I like your thought into the engines and their liability of overloading. Gives the ship genuine character.

I'll be honest, you'll have to give me a little time to go and have a look through dev threads, so please bear with me.

Two quick things. I find the following a little confusing. I think you've swapped one missile for the first pair of mounts and another for the second "reinforced mount"?

Just
Arrbi Betna said:
2x Weapon Mounts (Canon - These count as the two missile allotments allowed, but can be swapped for a standard ion/mass driver/lasercannon mount each, or consolidated into one heavy/repeating version of said weapons. These can also be swapped for a bomb each [I've been using 250kg bombs with the canon version, so I'll go by that here as a weight limit]) 1x Reinforced Weapon Mount (This I figured would be a heavy/repeating weapon OR a single standard weapon OR another 250kg bomb. No missile tube here.)
Do you really need potential consolidation of the 2x mounts? I'm not sure how that works out.

Arrbi Betna said:
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: 3 with bursts (2-4 posts) of Speed 2 with risk of engine damage**
In this case, as you've stated the maneuvrability doesn't improve with the bursts in the description, could you split this out into two separate line items?

How much damage do you generally roleplay the Beskar plating taking? I know you only have two of these, but it might be sensible to lay it out here as a precedent for future designs and to help consistent roleplay.

Raziel said:
Two quick things. I find the following a little confusing. I think you've swapped one missile for the first pair of mounts and another for the second "reinforced mount"?
The original canon ship has two weapon hardpoints/mounts. I just assumed those would take up the two missile slots available on an Elite Starfighter. I tossed the third reinforced hard point as a spot to put a fourth heavy/repeating/standard cannon/mass driver/ion weapon OR a 250kg bomb. So, really, the sub itself with the three blaster cannons, a fourth heavy/repeating cannon, and the two missile slots is only 2 guns over an Elite starfighter. In fact, that setting is the "Max" it can go: 8 guns, 2 missiles. The missiles and reinforced hardpoint can be swapped out for one 250kg bomb each or one standard cannon is all, which means it's just the three blaster cannons and three bombs/standard cannons. I also edited the lines in the submission to be clearer. Hope that helps :)

Raziel said:
In this case, as you've stated the maneuvrability doesn't improve with the bursts in the description, could you split this out into two separate line items?
[member="Raziel"]
That was honestly a derp on my part. Edited that in.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]
Thank you

I'm a bad person and was editing my post whilst you were reading! :) Could you also address the Beskar question please?

I've got to head out soon so may not get through the dev threads this morning sorry.

[member="Raziel"]
Bes'uliik starfighters canonically took fire from multiple wings of enemy fighters along with direct fire from a fleet with "little to no damage." That said, they were top pilots.

Its not hard to knock a beskar plated fighter out of the sky. It just turns from "blow it apart" to using alternative means. Shooting the rear engines where there is little to no beskar will down the craft as will hitting the cockpit with a solid burst or a few missiles. Also, strong enough impacts will knock the aircraft out of the sky as the controls are wrenched away from the pilot or the pilot is knocked out. Its less about a "hard" kill and more about a "soft" kill. Removing the ability for the craft to fight rather than outright destruction.

That said, if someone manages to hit this thing with a turbolaser with a direct shot, it may not blow the thing apart, but you bet I'm taking that hit lol glancing blows can kill just as much as penetrating ones :p

[member="Raziel"]
I was on my phone earlier and couldn't hyperlink, so I linked the original Wookieepedia page to the Bes'uliik starfighter for you. The lines on its durability are in the History section in the second paragraph. The last section in the History area mentions that some Bes'uliik starfighters were destroyed in a battle by the Jedi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom