Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Keep It Straight

VAL3.png
Appearance: Something Presentable
Tags: [member="Darth Metus"]​
2w36vsm.png
There was much to be done. The missive had been received the day prior and the entire estate had been in a tizzy ever since. She'd had to order the entire place scoured and that was only the beginning; she had also sent to her advisors to have them attend her immediately. She'd spent the reminder of the previous day in council with them, getting up-to-date information regarding her holdings as well as the goings on of the city at large. Assured that she had affairs well in hand, she'd dismissed them all and spent the evening preparing herself for what she knew was likely to be a trying day.

The following morning had dawned clear, a brilliant orange and red sun rise showing the promise of some foul weather to come later in the day - though it mattered little to her. She had a good deal more to worry about with the Vicelord's visit - and little time to spend mulling over much else.

She took the remainder of the morning to dress and make herself look presentable, taking great care to curate her appearance. Everything was clean lines and earthen tones, as neutral and unassuming as possible. It was a trick to make herself look anything but striking, but it wouldn't do to outshine their guest before she'd managed to get a sense of his intentions. The notice had been short, and she felt a sense of ill-ease settling in her stomach as the hours wore on.

Early afternoon settled with a heavy blanket of thick grey clouds upon the city of Aroo, and Valencia paced slowly about the interior of her offices. Her attendant Raeyan stood at the entrance, leaning in the doorway and glancing idly down the hall, seemingly keeping an eye out for the arrival of their visitor.

"Nothing yet, Viceroy Hadley," Raeyan muttered softly, glancing once back at Valencia and offering a tired smile. "I'll head down to the docking bay and see if perhaps something is keeping the Vicelord." With that she excused herself and hurried down the hall towards the main lifts, leaving Valencia alone to pace the along the office windows, her pale blue eyes darting up to the thick clouds, waiting for them to open and the rain to come.

dividerfela.png

Appearance: Something Not-Sith
Meeting: [member="Valencia Hadley"]​

It all began with a datapad.

In the current state of affairs, breathing was not an option. Not in the literal sense, mind, but rather in the sense of stopping to process. Though a shaky peace had characterized the stars for months following the Alliance's collapse, the Confederacy's agenda never ceased. There was never a shortage of corsairs, slavers, or other mundane opponents to liberty to trample. And, very recently, a new Imperial adversary had risen on the horizon. In light of this, the southern systems were alive with preparations and growth. And the weight of this reality rested upon the shoulders of a single man. The Vicelord was never one to shy away from the demands of his office. In fact, he could always be seen at the front lines of nearly every major battle - or at the table for every major negotiation.

However, this model of leadership often resulted in his being a touch distant from the less loftier demands of his role. As the representative of trillions of souls, one would think that he would walk the metaphorical streets of his kingdom. That he would bear witness to the state of his peoples with his own eyes. Yet, the demands of the present tied his hands and kept his gaze upon the battlefield. It was only during a too brief reprieve that Darth Metus had the luxury of actually sitting down within his office. The lofty space overlooked the aerial traffic of Geonosis' own Golbah City - and provided a breathtaking, yet relaxing view as the Sith attempted to catch up. In those moments, he came to realize just how much he depended upon his Exarchs and Ministers.

For though he led them all, he certainly could not do it alone. He was great. Some would say mighty or terrible. Yet he was only one soul. Simply skimming the plethora of financial reports provided by Minister Creed or the latest medicinal findings by Minister Rashae were a testament to this fact. And, as he raised his cup of caf to his lips, a seed was planted within his mind. A small desire that would blossom into something greater. He wished that his presence would be more than by proxy of his Exarchs. That he would have a deeper connection to those who worked so tirelessly to keep this nation afloat alongside him. Though the reality of the present meant that this aspiration would, of course, not be realized in the fullest...there had to be some steps he could take, no?

Humoring the thought saw the Sith pick up his personal datapad and access the Viceroyalty roster. There were many familiar faces upon this list, such as the Queen of Relovian or the steward of Krant. However, those who knew were vastly outnumbered by those that he did not. And while there was not much way for him to be closer to the people themselves, at the very least he could take strides in forging some semblance of a rapport with those who represented them. Baby steps, after all. He made a mental note of where his thumb stopped upon the screen of the device - beside one [member="Valencia Hadley"] of Manda - and decided that she would become the first to witness this aspiration come alive.

And though there would be many days between that quiet afternoon and the present, Manda would find itself subject to the Vicelord's arrival. Preceeding him was only a basic missive that he intended to meet with the Viceroy within the capital city, to discuss matters of state. He did not divulge the full extent of his thoughts just yet, as he and Miss Hadley did not know one another from creation. However, he felt as though the undertaking would prove...fruitful at the very least.

It was early afternoon when his vessel finally breached the upper atmosphere.

At this point, Darth Metus almost expected there to be a delay whenever he attempted to travel. For there was always something last minute that demanded his full attention - whether it be approval for a new spending bill or a report on troop movements abroad. And, though he expected it, the Sith hated that these realities tarnished his ability to be punctual. When he was a far younger and far more impulsive young man, he would not have stood for his time being "wasted" - and in the present, this former mindset inspired him to show true appreciation for those who had true patience. Therefore, when the obsidian vessel made its final stop upon the appointed landing pad, the Vicelord disembarked bearing a modest token of appreciation. Resting within his hands was a box, hewn from the finest, scented resinwood. Within this masterpiece, upon a silk cushion, rested several Mother-of-Pearl Hairsticks with matching clips.

The gift was promptly surrendered to the Viceroy's assistant who graciously met him at the facility's entry-lifts. By following in her wake, Darth Metus was promptly guided into the working abode of Manda's finest representative. The journey up was brief, and his arrival was heralded by the chime of their lift reaching the floor - followed by the swoosh of doors opening. Long, confident strides bore the Vicelord into the Viceroy's office, where he paused a few paces off from the radiant woman. With a genuine smile upon his lips, he first inclined his head respectfully whilst placing his offhand upon his chest. "Thank you, Viceroy Hadley, for having me this afternoon. I apologize for the delay."

He didn't go into detail, as most likely she'd get the same information he did - albeit a few hours later. Motioning to her assistant, the hand-carved parcel was presented to the woman as he continued. "Rumor had it that you are a woman of refined tastes; I do hope this token of my appreciation matches your style."

blood.png

Tags: [member="Darth Metus"]

It felt like an eternity had passed since her attendant had left, and she found herself gravitating towards the large windows that lined the outer wall of her offices. Her finger tips gently graced the sill at the base of the window, and she leaned her weight forward, bringing herself within inches of the glass as her eyes turned upwards. The heavy grey clouds were strangely still despite the breeze that had likely blown them in. She watched with an impartial gaze as they finally began to open, massive drops of rain beginning to fall and spotting the window before her.

As she lowered her chin, continuing to gaze through the window, she caught sight of movement in the glass, watching as Raeyan hurried back into the room, looking a smidgen winded for having attempted to keep up with the other figure she could see reflected behind her. She quickly affixed a winning smile across her lips and turned, her fingers lingering against the sill before she took a few small steps back into the room, lowering her hands to clasp before her loosely.

"Please, Vicelord. There is no need for any apologies to be made on my account." There was a small lilt of an accent to her words, faint and nearly lost to it's cultured replacement. That warm smile never faltered as she unclasped her hands and motioned to a set of lavishly appointed low chairs arranged further into the room. "Would you care to sit?"

Into that still extended hand was delivered the gift he'd so generously brought, the novelty of it bringing a hint of a smirk to the edges of her mouth. She accepted it with a small incline of her chin, lowering her gaze and using her free hand to gather a handful of her dress, carrying herself over to the chairs she'd indicated earlier. She led the way to the furthest chair and gracefully arranged herself and her gown seemingly effortlessly into it. She glanced back up at their visitor with a bright and genuine smile as her fingers played across the lid of the wooden box. This smile was different, the edge of her mouth tilting higher on one side than the other; less practiced and much more disarming.

"Now I feel terrible - I admit that I didn't anticipate that we'd be exchanging gifts." She turned that smile to her attendant who stood patiently waiting, the more practiced shape returning to her lips as she nodded to the girl. Without a word the girl bowed her head and turned, stepping from the room and closing the door behind her. "So, Vicelord Metus; what brings you to our quaint little corner of the galaxy?"

dividerfela.png

One typically puts their best foot forward.

When it came to interacting with those higher on the social ladder, a far younger Darth Metus made certain to dot his i's and cross his t's. In an era long since passed, this typically meant that his beskar'gam was meticulously shined beforehand and he carried himself with an air of utter formality. However, when the doors slid closed and he was able to release his pent up breath, the real man was able to come out. In the present, the Sith was infinitely more interested in understanding the person who released the held breath - and not the one who held it. In order to fully satisfy his budding design, it meant to know his people far more; or, at the very least, know those who had been chosen to represent them.

Therefore, as the Sith's sulfuric gaze fell upon the Viceroy his first thoughts were a recognition of her poise. Every movement, from her footsteps to taking the hand-carved parcel, seemed to move with a grace reminiscent of his own Apprentice. Both women were defined by the uncanny ability to seemingly glide no matter what action they performed. Yet, Darth Metus had to wonder, was this the real Valencia Hadley? Or was this the best foot being set forward? Were her smiles genuine? Or were they a product of professional manufacturing? Only time would tell, and nothing else. Certainly, Darth Metus had the capacity to answer the question right then and there. Yet, he made no such action, nor flaunted his might her presence.

Some of his ilk simply allowed their monumental presence to flood whatever room they stood within. Yet, Darth Metus opted to stifle his Darkness. When left unchecked, the Forceborn chill one would experience from simply standing in proximity could rival the rains falling just outside. But this would not illicit that genuine familiarity that he craved. Nor would it foster the knowledge he desired. Thus, Valencia Hadley would have the pleasure of speaking with a very "mortal" presentation of the Vicelord. One who happily accepted her gracious invitation to join her in the seating she had provided. His steps forward were coupled with a simple "Certainly." before he, too, descended into the seat.

When the Viceroy spoke, remarking on the surprise of his gift, a single chuckle escaped the Sith. The low, baritone expression was, firstly, punctuated by Valencia's assistant excusing herself; then, by Darth Metus saying, "There's nothing to feel terrible about, Viceroy Hadley. Taking the time out of your tremendous schedule to meet with me is a gift in of itself." A reporter or passerby might have questioned the sincerity of the statement, for was it genuine or simply a standard response. In truth, the Sith was earnest in what he said; for he more than understood the demands of the political office. For a bustling world such as Manda, leadership would most likely require just as many reports, meetings, and concerns as he had. And yet, despite these, she made room for his audience.

Briefly, his offhand indicated the box which yet laid dormant. "What do you think?" he inquired, before leaning back in his seat ever so slightly. As she asked about the reason for his visit, Darth Metus did not lay all the cards out on the table just yet. Rather, he said just enough that everything was true - but it did not reveal the core of his desire. "Several things," he began. "Firstly, as I'm certain you are aware, the ongoing conflicts have rarely given me the opportunity to visit our member worlds; let alone spend a moment getting to know them. I do have an opportunity in mind for you as well, but I'd like to know...what do you and your people make of our current battle against the Jen'ari Empire? Where do you all stand?"

blood.png

Her eyes stayed trained on his features as he joined her, watching as he took a much more relaxed stance than she had. Though he could lounge wherever, and however he liked, assuming even half of what she'd been told about the Vicelord was accurate. She had made a career of climbing as efficiently, but also as quietly as possible - only making waves where strictly necessary to further her aspirations of power... But the man leaning back in the chair before her was a very different matter. If what everyone said about him was true, his ability to cause havoc and then cultivate order from it was truly awe inspiring. A very different approach to gaining influence, but she couldn't argue the efficacy.

Her smile shifted a modicum as she watched his demeanor change once more when they were left alone. Interesting indeed. She took the opportunity to lean her arm against the edge of the chair, crossing her legs at the knee, the fabric of her gown pulled tight from the movement. She oozed an ease and comfort despite the formal attire she wore, seemingly unfazed by the restrictive clothing. Her fingers continued to play across the intricately carved lid of the box she held in her lap as she regarded him warmly. "I assure you that it's no inconvenience at all, Vicelord. You're always welcome here - and clearing my schedule for a day is no great tragedy when you ask it of me." Her head tilted ever so slightly to the side, as she gauged his response once more, the smile on her lips becoming more a passive resting expression than an effort as she regarded him.

As he motioned to the box she yet held, her palm came to rest against the lid and she straightened herself in the chair. She slid her fingers to the seam along the front and with a gentle flick of her wrist, the top eased open and she gazed down at the contents. Valencia did her best to keep her expression schooled, but she couldn't stop both well manicured brows from rising, her smile turning from a passive grin to a more pronounced smirk. Her fingers dipped into the box to very lightly glide along the length of one of the sticks. She wasn't familiar with their usage personally, but it certainly wasn't an unwelcome gift. "They're lovely. Thank you." She glanced up at him from behind her lashes as she carefully slid the box closed and placed it on the small table that lay between them. With another dazzling smile she reclined back into the chair and leaned on the arm once more, her fingers entwining and resting in her lap.

She managed to keep her expression neutrally pleasant as he explained the reason for his visit, but she felt a small twinge between her shoulder blades as he mentioned the Jen'ari. She rolled one shoulder idly as she turned her head to glance out the windows to the city beyond, the rain now pouring heavily and obscuring all but the shadowy silhouettes of the buildings beyond. Her voice lacked the same formal tone as she spoken next, taking on a more somber note, "Manda is a large planet, but I'm sure I don't need to explain that to you, Vicelord Metus. My advisors tells me that we've managed to escape a good deal of that filth's presence here - but when I became aware of the fighting elsewhere I took measures to ensure we didn't have any issues with them here."

She carefully extracted herself from the seat she had chosen and strode silently across the room to the stately desk sitting against the wall adjacent the door. She plucked a small tablet from the surface and returned to him, offering it to him before seating herself once more. "The details of the extraction and expulsion of any of their ilk from Manda is detailed there if it interests you. I don't have a great deal of patience for things that work against the order and peace I'm attempting to maintain here." Her eyes were level and measured as she kept them on his, not having the same burning presence his did, but instead an unsettling pale blue calm that spoke of something a bit more steely than all the sweet greetings had suggested. "It is my fondest hope that the the skirmishing will result in a speedy victory for the Confederacy and we may go back to worrying about simpler matters."

dividerfela.png

The day was anything but drab.

For those residing outside of the Viceroyal Abode, the state of the afternoon may have been interpreted as a calamity. A swath of gray blanketed the heavens, followed by a torrential downpour of water to the earth. All hope of excursions under the light of the local star may have been dashed - for very few would actually desire to run betwixt the raindrops. Darth Metus, however, was unphased by the deluge occurring just beyond the window. In his periphery, he could see the countless streaks sprinting to the pavement below; and yet this did nothing to smother his demeanor. In fact, compared to the rigors of his office, the ability to speak simply with a colleague whilst it rained was a welcome change. And, in the gaps between their words, the rhythmic crash of water upon the glass was almost soothing.

However, Miss Hadley had provided an atmosphere that was relaxing regardless. Though professionally minimalist, her office was the definition of welcoming. Darth Metus noted that the perpetual tension in his muscles began to ease ever so slightly. He was so used to being on his toes at all times. So accustomed to keeping his guard perpetually raised that his body did not know how to act when relaxation was on the menu. While he certainly would not be caught completely unaware, it did feel nice to just...breathe. There was a quiet gratitude behind the man’s burning gaze as he listened to his compatriot respond. The velvet tone of her voice was but the finishing touch on the atmosphere that she, and Manda itself, had created. Soft, with but a hint of accent. And everything she did - from moving in her seat to holding the parcel, bled with a quiet grace.

The only question now...was if this was her best foot forward or her true colors. I assure you that it’s no inconvenience at all, Vicelord… she said, eliciting yet another chuckle from the Sith. ”Well, I’ll be sure to remember that, Viceroy Hadley.” came his response. ”We all need a moment to breathe, no?” Wasn’t that the truth. The flow of their conversation moved from pleasantries to the gift that he had provided; and impeccable movement saw the wooden form open. Darth Metus afforded himself a moment of silent satisfaction as he saw her expression light up at the sight of the hairsticks and clips. The defined smirk which captured her face was mirrored by his own lips. She breathed a serene thank you and placed the gift on the table between them. Once more, she then returned to the personification of grace in the way that she sat - with fingers laced together at rest upon her lap. ”You are most welcome.” he said, before motioning towards the parcel once more. ”I tried to find colors that would match a variety of colors. But aesthetic is just scratching the surface with these. In a...pinch...you can use them to defend yourself with great success. A kiss of venom slumbers within each, just in case.”

As the Viceroy was a learned woman who represented one of the Confederacy’s centers of knowledge, she more than likely knew what sort of man was seated beside her. He was not the sort of politician who sat, safe and secure, at the capital whilst his people bled for his causes. He was, at least biographically speaking, a warrior first and a political figure second. Therefore, to see a martial purpose with the hairsticks might not have come as a surprise to the woman. But…[/i]you never know.[/i] Regardless, their talk proceeded beyond the parcel and focused upon why the Vicelord had elected Manda to visit. Why had he chosen Valencia Hadley to receive hours worth of his time. The ongoing conflict with the Jen’ari Empire was at the forefront of the conversation, and Darth Metus noted a quiet change in his compatriot. She visibly stirred at the mention of the far-flung vermin, and her tone became as gray as the heavens above.

She rose as her serene tone elaborated on Manda’s response to the Jen’ari threat. From her personal desk, a datapad was collected and offered to the Sith who accepted it with a nod. As descent returned her to the chair adjacent to his own, Darth Metus’ gaze burned through the report. The threat went far deeper than they had anticipated, it seemed. Despite their own assault upon Copero, coupled with the Sith Empire’s own separate offensive elsewhere, the menace managed to embody what the Confederacy was attempting to prevent. Their agents had managed to extend their influence into their borders - so much so that the Viceroy of Manda had to take action to identify and expel them. The Sith’s grasp upon the datapad tightened as the report was burned into his memory. However, there was a silver lining in this unfortunate news. Though the Vicelord would now order the Knights Obsidian to quadruple their efforts to exterminate the Jen’ari menace, Darth Metus now looked upon Miss Hadley much more favorably. After all, it was one thing to read a dossier on an individual, it was another to witness her actions when the situation was dire.

The Viceroy was much like the the Sith, in that her response to the threat was direct, brutal, and effective. The sole difference was that some of those who were expelled were left alive under Miss Hadley’s response. Darth Metus would have not left a single man alive. For a few moments, a somber silence ruled the Vicelord as the burden of command fell upon his shoulders. And his response was as gray as her own, for his words were colored by a serious edge that was not present previously. ”You have done us proud.” he began, acknowledging her efforts with a nod. The datapad was then placed upon the table, followed by the Sith’s steepling of his fingers. It was evident that, though his amber gaze was transfixed upon her face, his mind was busy with thoughts of what to do next. ”I was not aware that the menace had managed to penetrate our borders. I hoped that our assaulting Copero would put them on the defensive - steering them to their own space and far far away from the Southern Systems. However, you acted exactly as I would have. I will be stationing a fresh garrison of the Knights Obsidian to your direct command, Viceroy Hadley. And please keep me personally informed of any new developments regarding this threat.”

A small sigh escaped the man’s lips. ”As the people have willed, we will hunt this menace to the furthest corners of the Galaxy. I will see to it, personally, that the Jen’ari Empire are razed to ash and memory. You will have your peace again, Viceroy Hadley. We will all be able to worry about simpler matters very soon.”

It was only a moment following these words that Darth Metus caught himself. The warlike heritage which had defined his life was beginning to bleed through the suit and tie. Though he was very forthcoming about who he was to the Confederacy - making certain to introduce himself as Darth for example - he did not make it a point to speak in a vicious manner. The breaching of his borders’ sovereignty had managed to breach this particular trend, but once he became aware, the Sith swallowed his frustrations. They could wait. His orders would be given the moment that his visit had come to a close. And, for the foreseeable future, the Confederacy would continue to press the assault. It mattered not how many spies or brigands the Jen’ari sent down the hyperlanes, the Southern Systems would prevail. He blinked, once, willing his expression to soften from the scowl that had begun to creep in. His burning gaze met the pale blues of the Viceroy and he offered a slight nod.

”Your response to this threat is but another reason I come to you with an opportunity. However...before you choose to accept it, or even entertain it, know that it will take you away from Manda more than current. You may see active conflict, up close at times. You may be called away at a moment’s notice at others. I have no doubt of your capacity to act decisively, as you have demonstrated with this report. However, what of your wellbeing? Are you willing to place your life in harm’s way?” He paused, leaning forward in his seat ever so slightly.

”And do not tell me what I want to hear, I’ll know.” Though his tone was serious, each syllable began the process of returning to the light atmosphere of before. In fact, though he said “I’ll know”, his words were coupled with a literal wink and a literal smirk. Whether he was jesting or not remained to be seen.

blood.png

Having little first hand experience regarding the stresses of active battle, the Viceroy of Manda often leaned heavily on the council of her peers here in the city when it came to matters of war. As she watched him read the report she'd offered in great detail she could feel a small pit forming in her stomach as she began to worry that perhaps she'd leaned on them a little too heavily. They had advised that it would be best to keep the matters of their own planet's security to themselves unless it became a situation where they wouldn't be able to contain the issue without outward assistance - but as his eyes smoldered with a very different energy than he'd had a moment ago into the screen of that datapad... Perhaps she'd need to find herself some new advisors. She did her best to mask those thoughts from her face as her fingers idly flexed in her lap.

When he finally looked up and set the datapad down, she felt another ounce of tension settle between her shoulders, doubling her efforts to mask the doubt she now felt from entering her gaze. You have done us proud. The smallest of sighs escaped between her lips, feeling that tension melting away as she offered what now appeared to be a tired smile. Her hands settled into idleness in her lap once more as she spoke, her tone having returned to it's original silky politeness, "My apologies, Vicelord, if that information came as a surprise to you. With the warring on Copero I assumed it would be best not to bother you with reports of our own efforts to maintain the peace here. As you've seen, there was no undue violence by those extradited from Manda, and I believed it insignificant compared to what was likely keeping you busy elsewhere." Yes... It was most certainly time for some new advisors. If the Jen'ari were enough to cause his demeanor to change as it had, then she'd been wrong not to submit these reports earlier. Thankfully it seemed she was going to be given the opportunity to learn from this little misstep.

Her eyes took on an inquisitive seeming as she listened to him speak on. There was a heat there that matched the low ember glow from his eyes - and it seemed that it came from his desire to see a semblance of peace return to the galaxy, at least in so much as he could affect. There was a tiredness there as well, one that appeared to be bred of a concern for others, which she hadn't expected. Eventually his expression softened once more and she offered her tired smile in response. She ensured that she conveyed a sense of gratitude and understanding in that look, knowing all too well how much work it was to both gain and then maintain power. It seemed to cost him a great deal to even speak of these matters.

The smile livened a bit as he made his offer however, her eyebrows rising once more as the edge of her lips curled into a small smirk. So it wasn't just a cordial check-in after all then... "There are no shortage of pitfalls to being the Viceroy of this planet, Vicelord. I'm assured there have been several times that my life has been in a good deal of danger - but I wonder what it is that you believe I have to offer the Confederacy over and above the station I currently maintain?" She unlaced her fingers slowly and leaned further back into the plush, low-backed chair. Her hands slid along the arms, fingers curling along the edges. "I will admit that I have spent years cultivating an understanding of politics that has allowed me to hold my seat here with a measure of ease, but I do not profess to be a great warrior." Valencia's eyes remained calm and pleasant as she regarded him across the small table between them, but the sense of curiosity he'd sparked began to gnaw at her almost immediately. What could he possibly want with her?

That curiosity turned to something a good deal more sinister when he smirked and winked at her however. She felt a small flush colour her cheeks as her heart skipped a beat. Those gestures from anyone else may have seemed playful or even flirtatious, but she was not so foolish as to see them as anything but what they were; threatening. She lowered her gaze, keeping her face calm as she tried to remind herself to breathe. "I would not assume to be anything but truthful with you, Vicelord Metus."

dividerfela.png

Was it...fear?

As the burning gaze of the Vicelord ascended from the datapad, he noticed a minute change in his compatriot. It was as subtle as a quiet change in the breeze, and yet...for just a moment the atmosphere had…stirred. It was, as if, his words had been embers falling precariously near a puddle of accelerant; and she was standing before a potential inferno. Her expression did not say as much, as the woman was the epitome of grace in all things...but the subtle changes were enough that the Sith was reminded to quell his frustrations. Nothing which transpired was the fault of the woman, and he certainly did not fault her for attempting to maintain peace within her world. That, after all, was the very nature of their nation - a Confederacy of Independent Systems. He would have preferred to have been made aware of the situation, but there was no fault nor blame to be had for handling the issue alone.

Thus, when her velvet tone graced his ears once more, a shake of his head was the initial response. Her apology was not necessary, not for this at least. ”There is no need to apologize.” he began, making absolutely certain to keep his tone in check. After all, his issue was with the Jen’ari Empire primarily, and his direct subordinates to a lesser extent. His Knights should have been aware of this reality, and he made a mental note to ensure their continued diligence in the future. ”You did as I would have - there was a glaring problem which required immediate action and you acted. I believe there would only be an issue if you had sat on your hands.” His chin moved, indicating the datapad which now laid between them on the table. ”You did your duty. And compiled an easily shared report in the aftermath. My only request is this: moving forward, know that no issue that concerns Manda, or you for that matter, is too insignificant for my desk. If it is a great enough concern that you must take action, then please consider sharing it with me so that I can lend any assistance I can.”

He paused, before adding: ”This is, of course, not to say you or Manda cannot handle whatever vermin which dare breach our borders. But rather...my role is serve you all. To aide you all. And to protect you all. If I am able to give you an edge in these matters, I will gladly do so.”

From thence, the conversation became the antithesis to the gray just beyond the glass. Although rain continued to pound against the executive offices, the atmosphere had begun to return to its former lightness. Darth Metus noted that the subtle changes in his compatriot had washed away with the continuation of their talk. They had come full circle - and now the nature of the opportunity was what hung solidly in the air. By now, the Vicelord had mentioned it more than once, and the inquiries preceding it could have been interpreted as “stalling.” However, for what the Sith had in mind, he had to be absolutely certain. Manda, and by extension the Viceroy, could very well be the rock upon which he erected a temple of progress. To this end, he hearkened to her answer to the risks associated with what he had in mind. She answered, truthfully as far as he could reckon, beginning with pointing out that there were risks associated with her role already. Though Manda was indeed a much more urbanized world, each planet was surely subject to its own issues - and it was not a surprise to hear that Viceroy Hadley had been in the crosshairs more than one occasion.

Yet she made no illusions about being a warrior or possessing the instincts thereof. This much was infinitely apparent; for as she uttered these words, the Sith’s gaze fell to her interlaced fingers. She did not bear any of the tell-tale signs of working with a weapon. No stray cuts, no calluses, nothing. In fact, as far as Darth Metus’ limited knowledge on the subject went, her hands were in impeccable condition. Compared to his at least. If they were much more familiar with one another, he would have been comfortable with saying she had never wielded a blade before in her life. A holdout blaster, perhaps. Once or twice. Maybe. When Darth Metus returned his sulfuric eyes to the Viceroy, he was met with a touch of crimson upon her cheeks. Yet the color faded as quickly as it had arrived, spurning a small, bemused huff to escape his nostrils.

”I am glad. And I would not assume to be anything truthful with you as well, Viceroy Hadley.” he said, before placing a hand on either arm of the chair. A gentle push saw him ascend to his feet as his thoughts began to flow freely from his lips. ”I have accomplished much in my time as Vicelord. Yet every step that I have taken has given me a unique perspective. You and I are both leaders. You and I are responsible for untold millions of lives. And yet, the gaze we have upon the future is different. You...you can stand among them. You can see the same as they, reach out and touch them if you so chose. But me…” His words trailed, punctuated by a few modest steps towards the window. His gaze burned past the falling drops, attempting to eye the horizon that was blocked by another behemoth of glass and metal. ”My perspective is like standing in this building. I can see similarly as you, but I am not nearly as close as you are. To reach what you are able to would be as difficult as attempting to reach the ground floor from this window.”

He chuckled at his own jest before facing her once more. ”I am distant from the masses, and because of this I am feared. Respected. Placed on an ideological pedestal perhaps. But I want to know what they think. What they feel. I want to know how I can take up a permanent residence in their hearts.” His arms opened, as if to embrace a metaphorical being before him. However, instead of ensnaring the air, his hands then moved and jointly pointed directly at her. ”I can poll the Viceroyalty meetings, sure. But you have experienced those chambers the same as I. You have tasted the madness of our peers when they bicker over taxes; let alone public opinion. And that is why I have chosen you, Viceroy Hadley, to be a special council to the Vicelord. The first of a handful, if all goes well.”

He stepped forward, coming to a halt just before her seat. Descent gripped him thus, lowering his form to a single knee until his sulfuric gaze was even with the ocean that was her eyes. ”Yours will be the voice of the people in my ear. A true representative of what the masses think, coloring my decisions. We will disagree on many things, I am sure; for what you think, and what the people think, may conflict with my view. And that is what I expect of you. Speak your mind. Give me that perspective that brought you to the heights of the present.”

He extended his hand, silently asking for hers. ”What say you?”

blood.png

His assertion that she had not erred in her delay with relaying the information about the threats that Manda had faced was a kindness, to be certain - but she heard very clearly in his response that it was something she should not repeat in future. So be it. She had to quietly chide herself as her mind was tempted to start running down the list of who was going to be replaced those she'd trusted on her council. There would be time to cement the security of her advisory once the Vicelord left, and now there were much more pressing matters that would require her attention. One didn't allow themselves to be anything but present with this man in their presences.

It became a good deal easier to focus on him as he stood however, one of her hands lifting to gently prop her chin upon extended fingers. She shifted in the chair to lean her chin against that hand and observed him with no shortage of intrigue. From what he was disclosing, it seemed that Metus was struggling with finding a connection to his people - though there was a hunger there for that connection to be rebuilt. That particular problem was one that was alien to Valencia, as connection with (and controlling of) people was what she was best at... But she could most certainly understand the desire to have that ability to wield in your arsenal. She didn't have a head for strategy in violence, but navigating social situations and her people was like second nature to her.

She found herself staring absently at the back of his suit jacket as he gazed out the window, her eyes somewhat unfocused as her mind raced over his offer. If he was being genuine about the distance he was feeling from his people then she was beginning to understand why he could find her useful. One of the many reasons she needed competent staff was because the majority of her time was spent among her people - listening to them and working to keep them happy while also allowing the planet to prosper. It often meant that she was ignorant to other issues, things like military strategy or galactic commerce - but in reality Manda wasn't a warring state and the planet was better served by someone like herself than they would a warrior.

As he turned to face her once more, her focus returned to him and she tilted her head ever so slightly to the side in a questioning fashion. She lifted herself in the chair as he approached and uncrossed her legs, seating herself at the very edge of the chair as he knelt and offered his hand. She glanced down at that upturned palm and hesitated. Just as he had noticed the untouched pristine condition of her hands, so too did she notice that his were callused, well worn and showed an era of labour for the cause he was fighting for.

"Your keen sense of people doesn't seem to be as terrible as you profess it to be, Vicelord Metus." Her eyes lifted from that palm to his own burning gaze, offering another of those sweet smiles. "You seem able to accurately ascertain my value within minutes of arriving here... And I would assume you're only here because you were able to discover it well before you called for this meeting." She lifted both her hands and gently took his own, turning it over and holding it gingerly between her own soft palms. "My duty to Manda and to the Confederacy dictate that I serve in whatever capacity is required - and if you believe I'd be of better service as an advisor to yourself, then I would hope that we could speak a bit more about what this role would entail?"

She glanced pointedly out the window, barely able to hear the booming of thunder as the rain continued to fall, her gaze falling on the buildings that made up one of the many metropolitan cores of the city planet. "Manda needs someone who cares as much for it and it's people as they do for themselves. I would be bereft in my duties here if I were away too often." She turned those clear blue eyes to his own and her own had hardened a fraction, "With my absence here from time to time, Manda would require additional resources to maintain government and ensure there is no perception of me having different priorities. I would hope that if I agreed to this appointment, the Confederacy would see fit to assist with these matters."

dividerfela.png

There was calm in the midst of the storm.

The idea hung in the air, much like the clouds above. And for a moment, there was only the symphony of cascading waters to fill the Vicelord's ears. The Viceroy of Manda was not a woman of haste, it seemed, for she did not answer right away. Instead, as the Sith made his proposal, the ocean of her gaze met the fiery depths of his own. And though her expression did not feature any obvious signs of outward thought, Darth Metus presumed that the gears were turning. By his summation, Valencia was a woman who attempted to discern whatever twists and turns she might encounter before diving into the river. And this, of course, was a vital skill for anyone navigating the political spectrum; or life itself for that matter. When she responded, her face came alive with that sweet smile of hers.

And her unblemished hands took his own. The moment was almost poetic when looked upon from a certain perspective. He, the bearer of hands which could dwarf both of her own, was the one requesting her touch. He, the giant of the Confederacy, needed the aid of one “smaller” than he. Though he commanded the power of the Force and monumental influence, there were just certain things that even the gods cannot accomplish. He was mortal. He was fallible. Yet, he had the capacity to ask. When next her voice reached his ears, she spoke highly of his ability to relate and understand. As if to say, perhaps his reach to those metaphorically below was not as impossible as he currently thought.

To this he responded with a small chuckle as if to quietly say You are far too kind yet did not interrupt her words. Rather, as his hand moved under her grasp, his fingers absently closed around the majority of hers. His head moved, nodding along as she requested more information - and more so when she laid bare her concerns. It seemed that, with each moment, the Viceroy sold herself more to the idea that the Sith was proposing. Her priorities were clearly in the right place, thereby proving that she was not of the same ilk of the infamous senators of Republics past. She was not motivated, at least as far as the conversation revealed, by personal elevation; but rather, would only perform this task if her people were attended to.

Before bringing up the finer details of his proposal, Darth Metus opted to address her concerns first. He felt that it would be in their mutual interest that peace of mind was established before anything else moved forward. Therefore, whilst offering a smile just as warm as hers, he spoke. ”I would see to it personally that Manda has everything it needs.” he began. ”While I do this, ultimately, so that I can better serve the people, leaving this world bereft of its caretaker or calling into question her priorities is certainly not my intention. Whatever you deem necessary to make the continued fulfillment of your role as Viceroy, as well as this opportunity, live in harmony, I will happily provide.”

And as he addressed this initially, he noted the quiet change in her gaze. Subtle as ever and very easy to miss...but Darth Metus understood. The Viceroy required this assurance, full stop, and he hoped that she would find satisfaction in his words. And with this concern out of the way, he pressed forward with the finer details. ”Now then, as far as what to expect...as you are aware, the Confederacy has been blessed with consistent growth throughout her existence. And an instrumental part of this growth is the personal attention each member world receives upon entering the fold. Generally speaking, I will visit said world and join in the negotiation process; whether that be simply attending a gala, a literal negotiation, or...well, a battle. I will not require that you are there for every expansion, but your role would entail being a visible representative of what life in the Confederacy looks like from the perspective of a planetary leader.”

“It is one thing to hear from the head of state how life is. Or from his direct subordinates. But the insight of a potential peer? This is something a candidate world can cling to and know it is true.”

“Beyond this, I would require your insight on some of the decisions which reach my desk. There are a plethora of actions which do not require a session of the Viceroyalty to be called - and thus far I have performed them without inciting a rebellion…”
he chuckled aloud at his own jest, clearly demonstrating that the Vicelord at least found himself amusing. ”...and I have consulted those within the office of the Vicelord, such as my Exarchs, as I make some of these calls. Because you would embody the perspective of the people for me, I would wish to discuss a number of these issues before I take action. I want to know how the people would feel about a decision, and I believe you would be able to provide that insight.”

”Now, as far as tangible concerns go, you would be thoroughly compensated for this position at a rate of your choosing. Furthermore, I would personally see to a permanent residence for you within Golbah City.”

And as the icing on the metaphorical cake, the Vicelord rendered a brief wink before adding: ”And as an added bonus, I'll even show you how to properly use that latent sensitivity of yours. If that tickles your fancy.”

blood.png

The grin that spread across her lips as he promised her whatever support would be required was stunning. Her hands gently squeezed his as she leaned forward an inch and spoke less formally now, obviously very pleased with his response, "Then with your blessing I will appoint a Deputy Viceroy for Manda. I will ensure there is a representative planet-side at all times to keep the Confederacy's peace and operations running smoothly."

She let that smile slip into one that was more passive, almost a resting expression on her face as he continued on to indicate what would be expected of her with this appointment. Her hands remained where they were, seemingly content to leave them wrapped around his. A visible representative of what life in the Confederacy looks like... Yes. He had a very good fix on her value. Even if at times she didn't consider herself one of the many, she has always prided herself on her ability to blend in and empathize with them - and with a bit of luck, she was often able to convince those in power to disclose to her what she wanted to know.

"I have yet to see evidence of your inability to properly discern these things yourself, Vicelord Metus - but I trust that you have a better sense of what you require for guidance than I do. I would be pleased to offer my assistance in any matters of bringing additional sectors into the Confederacy." Her eyes widened a fraction as he mentioned the offer of a residence on Golbah however. Valencia had visited the city several times when a simple hologram of her face would not suffice for meetings - and each time she had left feeling sore that it had only been a few days. The city was so perfectly positioned for everything she dreamt of doing, and the idea of having the ability to visit more often had her heart fluttering.

"You're too generous. I don't believe that there is any way for me to say anything other than yes when you've been so accommodating."

His playful wink brought another light flush to her pale cheeks, but the colour drained almost immediately with his next words. Her hands shuddered against his before she carefully extracted them and pulled them slowly back into her lap. Her back straightened as all that tension that she'd felt earlier turned to a knot between her shoulders. Her fingers curled into small fists against the fabric of her dress as she kept her eyes locked on his. Her own were a little wider than usual, and the pupils were dilated. Latent sensitivity...

She swallowed passed a lump in her throat as she spoke, her voice no longer that silky sweet hum it had been earlier, but instead slightly uneven and low, "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about, Vicelord."

dividerfela.png

There were just some things which cannot be hidden.

Despite their best and most conscious efforts, there are always moments where what is in the dark comes to the light. Often, these instances are light in nature and bear no consequence on the present. Such was the case of the Vicelord's compatriot as her excitement bubbled forth. Throughout the conversation, she had been the absolute pinnacle of poise. Every motion was the epitome of grace and spoke a quiet testimony to the professional nature of the Viceroy. And yet, when presented with the support she requested, genuine excitement consumed her features - if only for a moment. Her hands squeezed the sable-hued ones within her grasp and her immediate words were of a far lighter nature than before.

And when she spoke, her concern for the people she served was once again highlighted. The appointment of the Deputy-Viceroy was not done so in the name of saving face, but to ensure that the people of Manda did not go without for even an instant. Darth Metus had no doubt in his mind that whomever she appointed would make an excellent steward of the world in her absence; and an even greater boon when she was home. As she continued on with her response, the Sith did begin to notice that her tone began to return to normal. Though there was yet joy within the ocean of her eyes, her words began to slip back into that professional style of before.

All the while, the Vicelord maintained the warmth of his smile until she had officially accepted. In response, he gave her hands a light squeeze and beamed all the more. ”Excellent!” he said, ”I am so glad that you've agreed. Please, take as much time as you need to settle everything as far as Manda is concerned before we begin. I know the process of selecting a suitable Deputy can be time-consuming, so please do not feel rushed in the slightest. We begin when you are ready.”

He would have said more overall, but following his wink and the mention of her latent sensitivity, calamity seemed to befall the woman. And once again, the Sith entertained the notion that she simply did not take this particular signal...well? Her hands immediately retracted from his own and her body went stiff. Grace was halted for a moment as her entire demeanor screamed defensive. And her words...well, they baffled the Vicelord for a moment, causing him to blink in confusion. Did she...truly not know? Or...was she attempting to hide her sensitivity and his discernment was cause for alarm?

As a man with as...storied...a history as he, the Sith spent but a few seconds entertaining the latter thought as true. His gaze momentarily swept about the space, burning with a silent awareness that he had cultivated over time. Experience had provided a modest degree of understanding when it came to masking one's sensitivity to others; especially others of Darth Metus’ caliber. And yet, there was not anything out of place in the office. No inexplicable pieces of “art” nor voids in the Force that he could perceive. Additionally...her response, if she were attempting to hide this fact, would have only drawn more attention to this issue. Hmm.

And therefore, Darth Metus was left with the impression that, maybe, just maybe, Valencia Hayden did not realize that she was blessed. For the Sith, identifying the woman's latency was similar to that of his favored apprentice...in that he was not the one who consciously sought out this truth. No. His path of Darkness required him to listen to its ebb and flow. To hearken to the cold whispers which guided his footsteps. In this, he found a shattered Srina Talon and elevated her to new highs. And in the very same token, Darth Metus would elevate Valencia Hayden...if she accepted his tutelage on the matter. As the seconds rolled, the Sith simply spoke softly and offered his hand to his compatriot again.

”Do not be afraid...you are simply...just as I am.” he said gently. ”Within you is a gift, but it is yet unreached. I see it as the greatest tool in all of creation - for its limitations are only what you can imagine. You can wield the Force for good, or ill. You can use it to provide for your people, or to destroy your enemies.”

He paused, only for a moment. ”When I look at you, I see a learned woman. Vastly intelligent. Driven. And from what I can feel of you, you are also blessed. The Force in you has always been there, and has always been apart of the woman I see before me. Do not fear it, embrace it. And I can guide you - just as you can guide me when it comes to our people.”

His fingers splayed ever so slightly, as if to return attention to his outstretched hand. ”Trust in me. Do not be afraid.”

blood.png

His voice was like some distant ocean, waves thundering upon a shore far from sight. She could feel the blood rushing through her and it was deafening. Her eyes remained locked on his own, but they were just as distant as that ocean... Her mind slid backward, remembering a hundred different moments...

Asking her "employer" as a young woman not to be so rude to the other children... The woman's confused nod and sudden change of heart.

Laying in bed with a boy she didn't remember the name of, suggesting that he should find someone else to pine after - watching him leave immediately and wondering at her luck.

Countless softly whispered suggestions... So many gently administered pieces of advice... So many times she'd hoped aloud for an outcome and seen it come to fruition...

With a start and a soft gasp, she came back almost all at once. Her eyes focused sharply on his, the painful sting of tears burning in the corners of her own. Her gaze dropped down to the hand he offered as if it was something alien and her entire body trembled visibly. Her hands visibly flexed, the sharp pain of her nails digging into the soft flesh of her palms like an anchor for her spiraling mind. The pain was sharp and real and it helped to ground her. She bowed her head a fraction and let her eyes flutter closed as she took a deep, shuddering breath. As she exhaled she lifted her hands and placed them in his once more, taking a moment to feel that connection of his skin on hers before she looked up at him again.

The tears that had threatened had passed and she offered what was obviously a very cautious smile. When she spoke her voice was back to that velvety warm tone, even if it wavered a bit at the edges. "It seems I have reason to apologize again, Vicelord. How I've been blind to this..." She trailed off as her eyes drifted from his and back to the falling rain on the windows once more. Her hands quivered in his own as she chided herself silently and forced them to stillness. She gave her head a small shake and turned a much more confident smile his way. "It seems that there will be a great number of things I'll be needing over and above a new Deputy Viceroy."

She gave his hands a reassuring squeeze before doubling down on that same warm smile. "I think I might benefit from a drink, actually." She carefully extracted her hands from his own and stood. It was a perilous thing for a moment as she had forgotten to wonder if her legs were up for the motion - but they were serviceable and she hesitated only a moment before she strode to the mounted infopanel adjacent the door and pressed two fingers to the bottom right of the screen. "Raeyan; two glasses and a bottle, if you please." She turned and crossed her arms lightly under her chest. She leaned her shoulder and hip lightly against the wall as she prepared to wait - knowing it wouldn't be more than a moment. "I hope you don't mind."

dividerfela.png

He knew that feeling all too well.

One of the most repeated common phrases uttered to the Vicelord was “let the past die.” His Apprentice, Exarch, and dear friend Srina was the only soul close enough to his own that could urge thus without any fear or trepidation. She was one of the select few who knew his history inside and out - and as such she knew when he was clinging to the shackles of his past. What most did not readily know was that Darth Metus was a native of Mandalore. Born and bred under the service of the Mandalorian warmachine, he spent the majority of his life fighting for his people. Against Sith. Against wielders of the Force.

And yet, when he mastered the ways of his enemies and tasted the Darkness himself, he too was met with stinging eyes. He thought that his closest kin would be proud of his progress. He thought that they would see him as an asset against the foe which had battled against them for decades. However, his kin recoiled from him almost immediately. Friends. Allies. Loved ones. His very name was tainted, so much so that he was never truly seen as an equal again. He knew what it was like to question who he was. Knew what it was like to feel uncertainty about the corners of his soul.

Thus, when she returned the ocean of her gaze to his face, she would find only warmth there. And when her hands returned to his, she would find a commitment. ”You've nothing to apologize for, Viceroy Hadley.” he began, offering her that smile once again. ”Not all of our kind are born moving mountains, some of us go our entire lives without knowing our blessing. But know this, it is my vow that I will show you how to harness this part of your being. I will be your mentor down this path, if you will have me.”

It was with a small squeeze of his hands that his compatriot shifted the atmosphere of the room ever so slightly. Their conversation had been quite an interesting one thus far, moving from matters of war to matters of identity in a matter of minutes. As such, Darth Metus chuckled at the notion of a stiff drink and ascended in tandem with his host. ”I thought you'd never ask, really.” he said, in a tone so amused that his jest was evident. Long, confident strides bore him closer, and he stopped just over an arm's length away. ”I certainly don't mind. What's your poison?”

blood.png

Her smile became one of quiet appreciation following his continued offers of assistance. She was not so naive to think that this wasn't going to come at a price - but if he was being genuine, and she suspected that the honey sweet feeling at the back of her throat that she used to beckon others to follow her wishes was a good indication that he was, then she was going to need the help. Being the Viceroy of a planet in CIS space was a difficult role, but most of her duties didn't have her running into powerful Force users often... With the exception, perhaps, of the man currently kneeling on her carpet. If she was going to be visiting new additions to their planetary collection, she would need all the help she could get to develop this new wealth of power she had found she possessed.

"I would gladly accept your tutelage, Vicelord. Your mastery of the Force is a thing of legend - and I would be a fool not to take advantage of such a generous offer."

Once extracted from her seat and leaning against the wall before the door, she kept her eyes trained on him. There was a silent grace to her movements that came from years of practice - a need to be a pleasure to behold. It served a much greater purpose that she be pleasant to look at, but with him it was different. As he rose to his feet she marveled at the very different energy that he used to move. It wasn't graceful, at least not in the same sense one might observe her grace... His seeming was one of contained power and just the barest hint of promised violence. Sure, the gentle sway of hips wrapped in taught fabric had its allure, but it was hard to pay attention to anything else when he was crossing a room towards you. Maybe that had to do with that latent ability he'd sensed in her?

Her chin lifted a degree as he stopped before her, close enough that the height difference between them was made all the more apparent. Even in the modest heels she wore, his presence truly dwarfed her own. She had only a moment to enjoy the view before the door behind her slid open and the same young woman from before stepped through with a tray in her hands. Two crystalline tumblers with s few ice cubes in each, and a decanter of a rich, honey coloured liquor. "Ah perfect - just on the desk. Thank you, Raeyan." She gave Metus one fleeting glance and smile before she pushed off the wall and followed the woman to her desk. Once the tray was set down she dismissed her once more and shortly they were left alone again.

She gently placed herself against the edge of the desk, hooking one of her heels against the base of the desk as she reached for the tray and plucked the decanter from the surface. Valencia lifted the crystal stopper from the container and lifted the neck to her nose. She took one whiff and grinned pleasantly. "Unless I'm mistaken it's Idlewil." She turned a bit and filled the two glasses still set upon the tray. She then replaced the stopper into the neck of the bottle and picked up a glass in each hand. She slid back to a standing position and held one of the glasses out to him. "Normally I'd offer a toast, but perhaps you could do the honors, Vicelord Metus?"

dividerfela.png
Meeting: [member=”Valencia Hadley"]​
In that moment, the educator within the Sith stirred.

As the Viceroy graciously accepted his offer of tutelage, the reaction was visible mirth upon his face. The warmth of his smile erupted into a toothy grin, and his hands gave hers a gentle squeeze. She might have even been able to detect his excitement bleeding in the air through that honey-esque talent of hers. "You know just what to say to make a man want to show you everything he knows." he said amidst a chuckle. "Now, if you are open to it, we can begin your training sooner rather than later." He was certain that they would hash out the finer points of her education, as to best accommodate her current responsibilities. And as he entertained the notion, his mind raced at the potential before his eyes.

She was very similar in nature as he - in that their niche was affecting the mind. In fact, Darth Metus' own "claim to fame" was his mastery of the power of Dread itself. He did, in that moment, decide on a rough direction to take her education, taking into account who she was and her existing nature. He would not focus on the battlefield shattering talents that he cultivated, not just yet, but rather cultivating her ability to influence. Control, at the end of the day, was the mightiest aspiration any politician could reach for. The Vicelord figured, in her capable hands, quite a bit for get done; both for Manda, and for the Viceroy herself. It was the best way to augment the extraordinary that was her already.

As she rose, his mind was pried away from the lesson plans which took root in his thoughts. He found himself distracted, if only for a moment. His gaze simply…appreciated...the view of her strides as she moved away from him too much to keep a coherent plan in place. However, when she leaned upon the sill and faced him once more, tact made absolutely certain that his eyes were where they belonged. He joined her only a moment after and tarried just long enough for her compatriot to arrive bearing gifts. Darth Metus couldn't help but place his hands together and rub them in a slight display of eagerness - for if there was one thing any native of Mandalore appreciated, it was a stiff drink.

And judging from the glance he was able to take of the cart as it moved past, the beverage was not wine, but rather a proper liquor. The Sith followed after his newfound apprentice with a pep in his step, stopping only a pace or so away from the epitome of grace herself. Once again, she managed to captivate his attention with the way she so effortlessly seated herself upon the edge of her desk and hooked her heel upon the side. If not for the identification of the beverage in her velvet tone, her might have appreciated for a moment too long. Rather, a satisfied huff escaped him. Viceroy Hadley knew how to entertain guests, that's for certain. "Now that is a fine brew." he said, reaching to accept the glass which was offered to him. He gave the ocean of succulence a slight swirl with the motion of his hands as she gave him the floor for a toast. "I'd be more than happy to."

The glass was raised and he gave her a nod.

"Here's to you, Viceroy Hadley - my radiant councilor and apprentice. May your days be filled with joy, progress, and the achievement of your goals."

Simple. Perhaps a tad cheesy. But definitely genuine.

blood.png

Her smile was pure radiance as she lifted the crystal tumbler in her hand, her eyes on his as he made the toast. As he finished she tilted the glass an ounce further towards him, correcting him with that same sweet tone, "To achieving our goals, Vicelord." With that she brought the tumbler to her lips and tilted her head back, downing the drink in its entirety. There had been enough for a drink or two in the glass, but it seemed she was interested in celebrating as he'd been. As the glass lowered once more, the soft tinkling of the ice back to the now empty bottom was punctuated by a sharp intake of breath after she swallowed. She shot him one more bright smile, her cheeks a little flushed.

She turned at the waist once more and set her tumbler on the tray, lifting the decanter to fill her glass once more. Once that was taken care of she lifted the glass and curled both hands around it, turning back to him. Valencia was a charmer, to be certain... But alcohol tended to lower her filter for it - and she felt he wouldn't mind terribly. She lowered one of her hands to press against the top of her desk and leaned back a little, her heel still hooked on the board along the bottom of the metallic furniture. She idly twirled the rich liquor in her hand, seemingly not as eager to down the next glass as quickly. Her eyes were less guarded when they met his next.

"It so happens that there is someone I have in mind to appoint as Deputy Viceroy - and with some savvy maneuvering, I'm confident I could have all the required loose ends tied up for the appointment by the week's end. In truth I do trust that they'd maintain Manda relatively well should you require me elsewhere sooner." She gave the tumbler cradled in her fingers another quick swirl before she lifted it to her lips and took another drink, though this time only a small one. She lowered the glass as she gently breathed out through lips that were parted only a fraction. The fumes from the liquor blew off and as she closed her mouth it was nothing but the heady taste of the alcohol with none of that familiar burn.

"Hmm." She turned her eyes down to the crystal in her hand as she tilted her head a bit. "It's been so long since Raeyan pulled this out... She always knows exactly what I need." She smiled fondly down at the amber liquid as it gently swirled around the glass again, seemingly lost in thought. Her eyes became distant as wondered against at what sort of effect her newly discovered abilities had had on all these little coincidences in her life... People seemed, at times, to be able to guess at what she wanted - and more-so when she needed them to. Funny that...

She realized with a bit of a start that she'd been staring silently for several long moments, her back straightening a little as she turned back to her guest and lifted the hand from her desktop to rest lightly against her cheek. Her fingers were pleasantly cool against the flushed skin she found there and she flashed the Vicelord an apologetic grin.

dividerfela.png
How right she was.

As the amendment to his toast reached his ears, the Sith could not help but chuckle. The baritone of his amusement lingered for just a moment, but was punctuated by the raising of the glass to his lips. He did not immediately drain his beverage right away, but kept his sulfuric eyes trained upon the beauty before them. Pure curiosity kept his hand frozen right where it was, until Valencia knocked back the glass completely. He found that he was not disappointed, especially when the empty vessel clinked down and she inhaled a satisfied breath. Darth Metus joined her in that particular club, tilting back his head ever so slightly so that his taste buds might bask in the bold flavor.

The liquor raced past his lips and left a fiery warmth in their wake. His taste buds rejoiced at the idlewil's presence, as it was infinitely better tasting than some of the swill the Sith had exposed them to over the years. As the beverage burnt it was down, Darth Metus made a mental note to pick up a few bottles after the fact. He, much like his newfound apprentice, drained the glass in one and set it down with a satisfactory clink as well. "To our goals, indeed." he began, whilst hearkening to the Viceroy's thoughts on what came next. Already, she had a candidate in mind for the role of Deputy-Viceroy; and once more she proved herself more than worthy of the opportunity that the Sith had presented to her.

She was punctual. She thought ahead. She...was ready with that second drink. Force above, what did the Sith do to deserve a pupil such as this? The Sith joined her in the ritual, coiling his fingers about the crystal and refreshing his own glass. However, whilst Valencia sat as the epitome of grace, idly swirling her drink as she spoke, Darth Metus wasted not a moment in restarting the inferno in his throat. The next chug burned just as much as the first, and once more he set the empty vessel down upon the tray. Clink. His response was heralded by an exhale of satisfaction, coupled with a grin.

"In the meantime, what I can do is tarry on Manda while you get everything situated." he began, immediately deciding which duties he would take with him and which he would offload to Exarch Malvern for the duration of his stay. The thought of making the former Imperial's fists ball up at the news was just the sort of positivity the Vicelord needed in his life - and he chuckled at the thought. "In doing so, I'll have the unmitigated pleasure of spending more time in your presence. And, we can begin training your mind when you have moments to breathe." He reached for the crystal once more and began to refresh his glass for a third drink. However, much akin to his compatriot, he was in no great rush to down this one. "Where would you recommend I stay? I'm unfamiliar with the accommodations Aroo has available, regrettably."

And whilst his question slithered into the air, he noted that her eyes were transfixed upon the beverage in her hand. He knew that look - as he often shared the same when the gears were turning upstairs. The Vicelord had entered her office with quite the disruption to her norm, and as such there was much to think through and even more to plan. He understood and said nothing whilst she ruminated for a few moments. In the interim, his gaze found her eyes; and he noted just how they appeared against the background of the stormy skies. Everything about the woman was captivating, that much was certain, though he kept this assessment to himself for the time being. Instead, he took a tentative sip of his beverage when she returned to the world of the living.

"And speaking of what one needs…where can a man find a decent steak on Aroo?" She might have interpreted this mirthful statement as a jest, as evidenced by the smile plastered upon the Sith's face. Yet, despite the toothy grin, he was serious.

blood.png

She managed to polish off the second glass in a few swigs as he spoke and she set the tumbler down on the desk beside the tray. She unhooked her heel from the base of the desk and moved easily to her feet. She trailed fingers along the top of the desk as she swept around it and carefully pulled the chair from beneath it. She slid herself into the seat, arranging the bustle of her dress in a way that wouldn't crease the fabric too terribly, and slid her hand across the surface. A large portion of the flush surface lit up in a vibrant green, showing the holoscreen that lay embedded in the desk. Her eyes skimmed quickly as her fingers danced across the surface - and if he cared to watch, she took care of nearly all his worries at once.

She skimmed through the available suites in her own apartments; selecting the most lavish one she could pin down. It would keep him close if that was his aim, but he wouldn't suffer for the quality of accommodations in the least. She ensured that the suites would be serviceable within the hour and asked that a member of her staff be available also to get whatever he might need for his stay. That taken care of, she swiped the screen clean and brought up a listing of different restaurants that might be of interest... Her lips pursed to the side as she slid her fingers down the list. Nothing she'd be willing to recommend based on the holonet's suggestions...

Swiping the screen clear once more she pulled up one last small window and typed something in speedily. Clearing that as well she ran her fingertips along the edge of the screen, the brilliant green glow dying and the desk becoming a solid piece once more. She slid her hands slowly across one another to cross under her chest once more, her weight leaning against the edge of the desk as she turned her attention back to the man. "Well: should you choose, you are welcome to any number of the suites we have here. I've requested one for you if you find it acceptable. If not, I've asked someone to be available for you for the duration of your stay; they will happily assist in finding other accommodations if they don't work for your needs. As far as steak goes..."

She offered him a small smirk and a wink, much the same as he'd given her earlier, "I'm afraid most of the higher end establishments in the area don't have quite the quality you're looking for. However, I do know of a spot - it's a way out of the core, but I'd be happy to take you if you'd like. Or we could ask that it be delivered-" As she spoke the door to the office slid open, Raeyan returning, but this time with a full bottle. Valencia turned to the girl and smiled calmly, nodding to her as she left it beside the other. The girl left hurriedly once more and as the door slid closed those stormy blue eyes returned to his. "And I also took the liberty of asking for another bottle... I hope you don't mind." She unwrapped her hands from against her abdomen and leaned forward, sliding the tray to the center of the desk and grabbing the decanter once more.

dividerfela.png
She wasted not a second.

After voicing the necessities of staying on Manda beyond their meeting, Valencia removed herself from her seat upon the desk itself. Ever the epitome of grace, her steps behind the wooden structure were fluid, culminating in a quiet descent into her chair. The Sith lofted a brow as she got to work at her station which, ironically enough, was very similar to his own. Honestly, the only difference between her desk and his own on Geonosis was the glow of the screen; for his projected a pale blue for some reason. Nonetheless, Darth Metus took this opportunity to join his councilor behind her desk and stood by her right side.

As she typed, his beverage was casually raised to his lips ever so often. Tentative sips were taken, as opposed to annihilating the liquor in one go as before. His gaze was fixated on the deft movements of her fingers upon the screen, noting the selections that she made for him. She decided on the most upscale of the lodgings; some of which were within the same building they stood in, whilst others were a little ways down the road. For the sake of convenience, Darth Metus made the quiet decision that he would tarry within the same building. After all, his vessel yet lingered upon the landing pad and it would be less hassle all around to ferry his small sum of belongings to this building than land again.

That, and he was closer to his newfound pupil, which was an added bonus in of itself.

When it came to lodgings, it seemed as though the need was handled without any degree of difficulty. However, there was a change in the woman's demeanor when it came to his meal request. It was subtle, but he noticed how her lips pursued as her finger scrolled through the results of her search. And, despite the screen's glare from the angle he stood, he could see why. Two stars here. One and a half stars there. The Sith certainly was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but even a man from as humble beginnings as he would not have braved going to a one star on a foreign planet. That was just begging to be toilet-bound for hours on end. After a few more moments of scrolling, Valencia crossed her arms and turned in her chair to face him.

First and foremost, she presented his options when it came to lodgings for his stay, to which he answered: "I'd be more than happy to stay here, it's a beautiful building and my belongings are already present on the pad." He then noticed a rather...familiar wink that was aimed in his direction. The Sith raised his glass and sipped, infinitely grateful that his complexion could hide any blush related tells on his face, before nodding along to her words. "Honestly, I'd like th-" he began, only to hear the office door open once more. In stepped the woman's assistant, bearing yet another bottle of idlewil. Which was good, because they had already done some serious damage to the first one. "Yes." he practically purred, "I am perfectly fine with keeping this going. And, as for dinner...my first thought was 'yes, we should definitely go', though now that we have this second bottle...I'm thinking delivery is the smartest option. Gods above know we don't need the tabloids hearing about a sauced Vicelord." His words were coupled with a thunderous laugh and the finishing of the idlewil in his glass.

blood.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom