Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Being Better than Others

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Recently it has come to my attention that some writers around this site website believe that positions of IC power make them better than other people. I'm here to have a discussion about this topic and to dissuade others from this subtile temptation. I'm here to invite you to believe that being a Grandmaster, an Emperor, or a President and CEO; does not make you a better writer than other community members. This is an invitation. Not a rebuke.

Why? Because I'm an American. In my civilization we acknowledge that all men are created equal and given certain inalienable rights. This is not the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob speaking. It is a consensus of men. Thusly, fallible. ...And I acknowledge that. I do completely comprehend that in countries of this world there exists inequality. That women are still lawfully less than men, that children can still be lawfully killed by their parents, and that religion is still the only law of the land. I get that. And so I am not offended that a writer of this international community can still believe themselves to be above other men.

Now. Here is my invitation and my peace. I promise you. In the name of all that I know. That if you great and generous people would hear my words and write them upon your hearts, that you will be blessed. If you take the time to participate as an equal member of this community. Having respect, possessing charity, and facilitating fellowship? That you will experience a greater happiness in your writing than ever before. If you will become my equal? I will become your friend.

However. I give unto you a warning as well. If you will not resist the temptation to place your heart above the hearts of men? You will suffer for it. And this is not the suffering of a ban, a lecture, or even a Staff Members comment. It is the suffering of your own heart. ...If any member of this website uses IC power to elevate themselves in pride, prejudice, or godliness before his fellow man? He will only be hurting himself.

These words I leave with as you testament of my own humility. I am a man and I admit to having done this before myself. I am not a Saint. I am not blameless in this trial. I am like you. Therefore, believe my words. For they are true. Do not hold yourself better than other men because you are a Roleplayer of some skill and worth. Do not elevate your heart to believe that fictional prowess makes you a God. Shower equality upon others. Treat them with respect worthly of a true leader. Love your people. Guide them. Teach them. But do not hold dominion over them.

I invite you to believe in equality. I invite you to join us, this great community, in being just a writer. And if you do this? I will love you forever.

- Jay :D

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Steph Zenima said:
But...but...my mother told me I was better than others. ;_;
Ah! Then you must be an American too. Don't be fooled now. We're totally better than everyone else. *wink wink* (JK) :p

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Adenn Colston said:
I never have a true Master level NFU cause of this
This is your choice and your honor. However, it need not always be so? Like many children I was taught that power holds the potential to corrupt. But at this time I would like offer you the perspective that Roleplaying is not power. It is fiction. Therefore, you need not be changed. You can hold within yourself, the power to be unmoved. That you can maintain your good character without allowing a fiction to sway you.

So I honor you Vyperion for making a sound personal decision. And I hope that one day you will believe yourself strong enough to do anything your will so desires. That one day you will discover that it is Faith, that moves mountains. That we can all confidently remain unchanged by the powers of this world. Good on ya! :D

I know I step on a lot of toys here on CHAOS; and poke and jab other characters on the site IC wise but I see where your coming from.
Such as:
- During Open Role playing events writers will ignore the posts of others and refuse to interact with the characters because they are seemingly lesser than them. I'm not saying that this is the intention of why they don't respond but this is the feeling that is generated for the other writer and why you see them stop posting in the thread.
- A character trying to do something and someone else instantly writes off what said' character was trying to do just by saying 'No you didn't because I'm stronger and I did this right before' or 'knew it was going to happen before it did so now I'm getting my way'
- Looking at how many posts a character has and thinking that somehow means the character is weak. (First mistake I learned and forced myself to correct)

But I believe that where your point immediately stems from is that if you are not apart of the OOC community or skyping 24/7 your not important. Which is only human because through community we find Identity and it is how people see your Identity as the person behind the character that brings about respect. Without an exterior Identity on this site then your characters just seem like randoms and will be less important to respect. (Or not top priority to respect) Which I am not complaining about because I come and go all the time so I don't feel a need to be treated with top priority. I just love throwing a wrench in the machine and watching where it goes. But long post short. Yes, I agree with you're saying but for the reasons stated I never blame or get upset because friends, plans, alliances are made OOC and anyone not in the loop will meet strong resistance or be ignored.
@[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Verz Horak said:
Don't feel too bad. Everyone breaks at least one of JSC's threads once.
Quoted for Truth. I do believe there is actually an Xbox Achievement for breaking my threads? Ah. Either way, it's on everybody's bucket list and I couldn't be prouder. :D

Jak Sandrow

"Nobody cares for the woods anymore."
I think it can work the other way, too, when a person's RL status or attitude or whatever gets a stranglehold on their RPing... I mean, sometimes it can just be a superiority complex of the character itself, but when it becomes either consistent or at least consistently sporadic, then I begin to feel like the writer of the character is somehow thinking themselves better than me....

And I'm not pointing fingers nor mentioning names. But there are those out there who will read JSC's words and know he's talking to them.

7n9hf.jpg

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Jak Sandrow said:
But there are those out there who will read JSC's words and know he's talking to them.
Well, not as much as you might think. I tend to want to create an atmosphere of awareness and education, rather that take the time to respond to any of my opponents. The world is just to big to make it a habit of addressing every miscommunication. So the idea is to educate the young and help them avoid the temptations and pitfalls that I myself have made. In my experience, arguing with or condemning people on the internet changes very little. A wise man once said: Teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves. Haterz gonna H8.

Not a grandmaster...

Not an emperor...

Neither a president nor a CEO...

Not a member of a faction...

I have no REAL IC power...

Crap... Might as well just take a long walk off a short pier... WAIT... That's what they want me to do!

GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!

IC status or "power" as you put it has no real bearing on a writers capability.

Jak Sandrow

"Nobody cares for the woods anymore."
Jonathon Patches said:
Not a grandmaster... Not an emperor... Neither a president nor a CEO... Not a member of a faction... I have no REAL IC power... Crap... Might as well just take a long walk off a short pier... WAIT... That's what they want me to do! GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD! IC status or "power" as you put it has no real bearing on a writers capability.
^JSC's Case.

In.

FREAKING.

POINT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom