Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Bantha Class Carrier/Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=18pt]Bantha Class Carrier/Transport[/SIZE]

Intent: To create a workhorse vessel which can be configured into either an attack craft carrier or a large transport. This vessel should also have corporate, peacetime uses so the company does not have a ship useful only in war time. At the same time, this ship is a brick, easy to hit if caught, but reasonably tough as well.
Manufacturer: Fondor Drive Yards on order of Omega Pyre
Model: Carrier/Transport
Affiliation: Omega Pyre
Modularity: None
Production: Moderate
Material: Durasteel
Description: At heart Omega Pyre is a company. Thus, it is rare for ships to be created which only have use in war, as that is simply unprofitable. With this in mind the Bantha is capable of fulfilling a vital peacetime role of moving cargo, mainly raw materials, from planets under OP control to Corellia which is the great trading market for the Republic. In war though it can fill the role of a large bulk transport, capable of following the Jaeger and bringing in supplies and troops for a long operation. Alternatively it can be equipped with interceptors and bombers to support the Jaeger and other ships in battle.
The ship’s biggest weakness of course is that it is slow, hard to turn and possesses little serious firepower. It has strong shields and armour, but against anything larger than a frigate it will soon be destroyed.
Classification: Carrier/Transport
Production Line: Carrier/Transport
Role: Transporting goods in peacetime, carrying troops and supplies or attack craft in war time.
Height: 275 metres at highest.
Width: 250 metres at widest.
Length: 610 metres.
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Hypermatter reactor
Minimum Crew: 175
Optimal Crew: 1250
Armaments (Either Config):
  • Heavy Turbolaser Battery (2) (On the top near the bridge)
  • Medium Turbolaser Batteries (4) (At the front)
  • Tractor Beam Projectors (5) (Mainly for retrieving junk or scrap)
  • Rapid Fire Laser Cannons (10) (Positioned along the sides)
Non-Combative Attachments/Craft Complement (Carrier Config):
  • Long/Short Range Sensors
  • Targeters
  • 5 Argevant Gunships
  • 5 Light Transports
  • 82 Interceptors
  • 18 Bombers
  • 1 Prefab Base
Non-Combative Attachments/Craft Complement (Transport Config):
  • Long/Short Range Sensors
  • Targeters
  • 25 Argevant Gunships
  • 30 Peregrine Gunships
  • 25 Light Transports
  • 18 Interceptors
  • 6 Bombers
  • 2 Prefab Bases
Passenger Capacity: 800 (Carrier) 7200 (Transport)
Cargo Capacity: 90,000 tons
Consumables: 5 Years
Hyperdrive: Class 4
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: Class 9

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Okay. So it's a really big bulk transport with guns. Cool.
  • 90,000 cargo with 25 Action Series bulk transports puts you at about 2,340,000 metic tons of cargo space. Or about 1,170,000 heavy motor vehicles. Or about 40 ocean-faring Battleships in weight. Seems high to me.
  • Minimum crew is 75: Seems a bit light. Your thoughts?
  • Consumables: 5 years w/ full cargo? 5 years standard? I mean, your crew is sparse so I could see where you got this.

So. My real concern is with the bulk transports. How do you get 25, (100 meter), Bulk Transports into this puppy? I don't follow. :D

OK, I guess we have different definitions of what a bulk transport it. My SW terminology is not great. Can you think of a more appropriate term? What I want it to do is hold about 25 ships, each capable of carrying 1000 tons of cargo that can go from orbit to the planet's surface.

Minimum crew is the amount needed just to maintain it, I've always understood. Such a crew can't actually operate the ship or man the weapons. I based that number on the ratio of canon ships which have very low minimum crew, and this one would be even less as it's basically a giant shipping container. Not to mention that on Earth huge cargo ships have relatively small crews compared with warships.

5 years for the crew wouldn't take too much space. After all, that's what many Star Destroyers have listed when they have bigger crews in a relatively smaller space. It is a cargo ship after all, and if they even used 1000 tons of supplies in that time they could easily fit it in.

If you have suggestions which fit better let me know. :)

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Ah. Okay. Well swap the vocabulary from 'Bulk Transport' to 'Light Transport' or 'Freighter'. It maintains the vague'ish'ness while implying a smaller type of ship. As Bulk Transports can be as large as your vessel here contained.

You seem to have a handle on everything else. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom