Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Ban scanlines in divs

I dunno who came up with the scanlines behind letters gimmick but its really awful when reading paragraphs at a time.

Scanline design aesthetic is meant to obscure design flaws but letters dont have design flaws.

Y’all are doing too damn much with your div backgrounds I just wanna read.

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Tefka Tefka

Absolutely... and especially when there is drop shadow on the text with scanlines... On a personal note, and for anyone with an astigmatism, that is actually painful on the eyes. Or I'm just old and need bifocals.

and this is why if you have a background that isn't a matte color/gradient that doesn't conflict with the text you should have an opaque box or a heavy blur on the background for the text so you can actually read what you post. putting scanlines/images in the background and then expecting people to read text displayed directly on top of it is asking way too much.

This is something I've noticed a lot of. Some people really don't know how to be subtle with PhotoMosh (the place where the VHS visual effects around here usually come from) and it ends up looking incomprehensible.

This is something I've noticed a lot of. Some people really don't know how to be subtle with PhotoMosh (the place where the VHS visual effects around here usually come from) and it ends up looking incomprehensible.

I like photomosh, but a majority of people don't use it or know about it lol. Scanlines got popular now they're literally on everything.

I like scanlines. I like the retro feel. For example, Saro, your Executive has scanlines applied. It applies a sort of pseudo texture. But in most cases of it being used in divs, it's being used behind the writing, almost as if the designer thought their writing needed some sort of paper texture behind the lettering.

That's not what scanlines should be used for, plus in a lot of cases its too emboldened. Most scanlines I personally approve of should only be around 10-15% opacity, and NOT used for the background of a 800px width, 1000+ px height post of writing.

Kill it with fire!

giphy.gif

Agreed about the cursors - it's irritating when it's not obvious where the 'pointy end' of the cursor is when the cursor isn't a... dorito... or something, a triangle, because that makes it hard to select or click on anything. I've never used them in my template builds, that I recall, because it's just one more thing on top of everything else.

Scanlines? Just use those on top of images if you wanna be using them at all.

And like Kitter Bitters Kitter Bitters pointed out, templates need to fit on a mobile screen. People should use a mobile-friendly template for the people that are primarily here on their phones because we should be inclusive and accessible, yeah? I couldn't care less if y'all happen to outnumber our mobile users, or if you don't personally look at the site on mobile, or 'most people aren't going to read this anyway'... because... well, people actually do look or this wouldn't be an issue. Honestly, it's just a shitty way to look at things and that? That grinds my gears.

For one reason or another, some people only have a mobile phone, or have limited access to a larger screen. At any rate, It's not hard to check if your template is acting appropriately on mobile, or to ask someone to check for you. Just navigate to the same thread where the template is, on mobile. I always do this when working on a new template, even when I'm using a template that I already know is good on mobile. It's habit by now. A good mobile-friendly template doesn't require you to scroll horizontally to view the template and its contents in their entirety. Scrolling sideways on a phone is annoying because mobile web design is primarily up-down scrolling, and that's the standard because well, smartphones are long, not wide and meant to be held that way, in one hand (like the receiver of a phone pretty much always has been!)... so it's abnormal and irritating to encounter when things don't move, well, fluidly and vertically. It's not what people are used to. Not anymore.

Best part is, it's usually a pretty easy fix to make your templates mobile-friendly and consumes very little time to do it. Any reason given to not do it is honestly a poor excuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom