Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awful Fancy

Even though Kairon was reading his book, he grunted and moved his head when Mal moved the datapad perched on her knees. Even though she was leant back against his chest, he could see the smile form on her face by the shift in her jaw. He'd been reading the same page of his novel since Pals had started. And that rumble when Jooey had make a remark to a wave of live studio audience laughter had been something caught in his throat, thank you very much.

There was a persistent beeping and Kairon set his book aside. He had forgotten that he'd agreed to talk to his sister this evening. When he started to move Mal made a low noise of disapproval. After a moment she relented and let him get up from the chair. As he walked away he picked up a blanket and spread it over her.

“Won't be long,” he said, kissing the top of her head and taking his own datapad into the next room to avoid disturbing her shows. On second thought he shut the door tight so the boy couldn't hear. The conversation would likely end up revolving around his future again.

“A pleasure Anara,” Kairon said as her face appeared on the screen. She looked so like Asmus, same delicate features and hair colour. The boy took after the women of the Rees family far more than the men. At the same time he didn't reassemble his fat, a short balding man, much at all.

“As always Kairon,” she replied with a subtle nod.

“So, I guess we're talking his exams again?” Kairon asked. The little bugger had been doing remarkably well since they initiated the ‘no leaving the ship when in port unless the work is done’ routine.

“Actually, I was hoping we could do that in person.”

“You're not going to try and arrest me again are you?” Kairon asked with a raise of his eyebrow. That had been a regular occurrence during their early voyages. Right up until Asmus got shot by a bounty hunter anyway.

“The Descart family ball is next week. We thought we could talk it over there. You know we wouldn't possibly afford the scandal of having you both carted out in irons from their ball now, don't you?” she replied.

Kairon narrowed his eyes. “The old man isn't going to try and get me hitched to something again is he?” It had been years since their father had spoken to him, but that didn't belay Kairon's suspicious.

“Please Kairon, you don't have to talk like a two-bit scoundrel to me. And no, not at all. In fact we would absolutely love to meet your knew friend. Malia isn't it?”

Kairon sighed. “The boy blabbed did he?”

My boy Kairon, my boy,” she corrected. Those emerald eyes narrowed. Odd how on Asmus they looked so wide and innocent, yet on her they conveyed loathing so well. “You stole him remember?”

“I prefer the word liberated!” Kairon said, preparing himself for what would inevitably follow. This was the point where she shouted, cried or both.

Instead there was a change in the set of her jaw. “Look, just along won't you. We can talk like civilised people for once. At the very least you'll get some free food and drink and a reminder of what civilisation looks like.”

“More a pit of vipers than any shadow port in the ‘verse I saw. But… I'll think on it. Send me the details and I'll see if I'm in that region of space,” he replied, already knowing they were.

“I know you'll do the right think Kairon. For the boy and the family.”

Kairon emerged from the side room. Deep lines of concern were etched into his face. “Want something to drink?” he asked Mal, heading for the fridge. She was still on the same episode, blanket around her now his warmth was gone. He really needed to fix that thermostat.

He was always in a pensive mood after talking to his sister and as she watched him head to the fridge, she reached a warm hand out of the cover of blankets and put the datapad on the table.

"Grab me a cider and come on over."

As an only child of a single mom, there were some dynamics of family life that were beyond her comprehension. She didn't really have a liking for Anara, even though they had never met, simply because after a few minutes talking to her, Kairon was left feeling like the family disappointment. Mal promised herself that should she ever meet Anara, that the woman would not get laid out on the floor even though she richly deserved it. She loved Kairon and respected Asmus enough to not damage the vile little witch.

As Kairon handed her the drink and slid back onto the couch, she cocked her head over and looked mournful.

"What did the ice queen want now?"

[member="Kairon Rees"]

[member="Malia Afredane"]

There was a clink, quickly followed by two hisses as Kairon collected a pair of bottles and twisted off the tops. Normally he was angry or in a morose mood following a conversation with his sister. Let this time there was a clear look of consternation on his face.

Back on the sofa, he shifted his body so he could face her properly. "I'm not sure." he said slowly. "We've been invited to a ball, with a promise not to try and arrest us or steal Asmus. And they want to meet you," he added, looking apprehensive. He wanted to believe this was innocuous. Something had shifted in their attitude and he wasn't sure what. Were smugglers now no longer tied to social stigma on Eriadu to the point where they'd accept him?

"I have no warrants, I've run nothing but legit jobs since I met you and Rusty and I blew up a Sith warship making us heroes to the Alliance. What in the merciful heavens would they arrest me for?"

She knew it was exaggeration on his part, but it was still an annoying thought. Mal's fingers curled around the bottle and she hugged it protectively to her chest. She really had no use for people like Anara, the ones who seemed to live for the putting others down and feeling unnecessarily superior to people who worked for a living. The urge to call Anara and give her a piece of her mind was quelled only by her desire to stay warm and under the blanket.

"A ball? Like buy a really nice dress, and smile at people all night that I can't stand?"

[member="Kairon Rees"]

"Oh," Kairon said, his lip twitching with mischief for the first time since returning. "They kept trying to arrest me for kidnapping for a while. Knew the charges wouldn't fly, but thought they'd get Asmus back."

There was a pause and he tilted his head from side to side. "I suppose I could go and hear them out. I know you already said you would, but you don't have to come if you don't want. There'll be some boring folk, but also some fairly interesting people too. Music, bright colours, dancing and as much free drink as you care for. The Descart family always put on some top food too."

"You sound like you're gonna need an ally there, apart from the boy. However, if your sister so much as twitches at me over the course of her son, I'm going to brain her with his employee file."

Mal had taken great strides to ensure that everything done with the Grey Warden was thoroughly above board. There was plenty of money to be made in legitimate shipping and for the smaller, more risky jobs, she did them personally in Gracie so as to minimize the risk for the crew. The worst thing they were likely to get slapped for was safety violations in regards to unloading cargo.

As for Asmus, Mal had ensured that his placement on the Warden had been approved by an Alliance affliated school as an internship. His coursework was to help him prepare for his future and he was scheduled no more than 40 hours on the crew rotation during his studies. She paid him well, bonuses included and helped him out where she could with his homework. While Mal may be more comfortable in a bar with a sabacc table and bottle of whiskey, she had been well educated and graduated the academy. Something which the Alliance had found out and tried to talk to her about on more than one occasion.

They might have been willing to overlook her past, but she wasn't about to go back to that kinda life. She preferred the Warden, with her crew, her little freighter, her friends and her love by her side.

"I'm sure we'll be fine and if it gets crappy, we leave. Nothing says we have to be chained to the danged thing from start to finish. However, I suggest that neither of us gets drunk. I don't think I have the bail money needed to get us both out of the clink."

[member="Kairon Rees"]

Kairon chuckled at that, but Mal would recognise the need in his eyes. "Thank you, I'm glad you're coming," he said softly. He had never been one for wasting words.

"You're right, nothing to drink. Something is a little off about this all. Maybe...maybe they really have a change of heart." As he thought it through it started to make more sense to him. "Asmus probably told her about the courses he's being told and what you've been showing him. They might just have come to terms with it all and - from their perspective - they see getting in touch with us and being more involved with his learning as the best of a bad situation."

He took a swig from his cider, before nuzzling in against her. "Yes, maybe that's all."

As much as Kairon wanted to head off to shopping with Mal, she utterly refused to let him, instead taking Sid, Mai and Narasa on a girl's trip to the boutique she had liked in Theed. They were stayed where she stayed before, had a spa day and shopped for whatever they felt like before she found a dress, shoes, a choker and some earrings that were suitable for the Descart ball.

The bags were left in a locked cargo crate on Gracie.

She really had been serious that Kairon not see the dress prior to the evening down on Eriadu. The girls had only looked at Kairon knowingly when they returned, and Mal acted like her trip away had just been business.

As the date approached, Asmus seemed to get more and more hyper. Mal on the other, started to doubt the invitation and wonder if she could wear a blaster under the dress without ruining the line. She started to feel like she would be more at home on Shaddaa.

[member="Kairon Rees"]

He didn't do this enough. Three times he'd tried to tie this cravat properly. It just didn't sit right.

"Oh for the love of...Let me do it!" came a voice from the doorway. Kairon had been exiled from the room he shared with Mal whilst she got ready, which meant the boy had no qualms about walking right into one of the Warden's spare rooms.

"Fine, fine. Wait how long have you had that?" Kairon asked. The boy had flat out refused to buy another set of clothes from anywhere but Eriadu.

"About two hours?" Asmus replied, his slender hands sorting out the cravat as the youth tutted under his breath.

"We've only been on the ground that long!" Kairon replied incredulously.

"Yeah I sent my measurements ahead and had three different cuts put together."

"Your money," Kairon replied with a shrug. The lad loved his clothes a bit to much. On the other hand he did always manage to dress immaculately. "Didnt you say bright colours were in? Light purple, turquoise?"

"Exactly," Asmus replied, smoothing down his waistcoat, which was a dark emerald and black paisley. He seemed confused that this didn't answer the question. "I'm an outsider right? I left Eriadu to be an outlaw, a dangerous one. So, a bit of colour, but a little bit dark."

Kairon nodded at this, before bristling. He held up a warning finger. "Best behaviour. Don't even think about it. I'm going to go find Mal."

There was no way she was going to be able to fly Gracie down wearing this dress, too afraid she would wrinkle herself. She looked in the mirror in the bath as best she could. There was no full length mirror on the Warden. She thought about putting one in, but it was really pointless. Well, it would be if Asmus was convinced to leave her employment or head off to the academy.

She had decided against the choker, it was simply too tight around her neck and she already felt like there was a noose there. Her hair was swept up in a neat and smooth twist with a couple curls pinned to the top of her head. The drop earrings sparkled and moved just slightly when she turned her head. Her makeup was subtle and natural, not overly done. The long sheath dress was off the shoulders, with an attached cape that swept behind her when she moved in a slated green that brought out the color of her eyes.

Grabbing a small silver metallic clutch, she stepped out of her rooms into the hallway of the Warden to look for Asmus and Kairon. She was rather wanting to get this all over with for now.

[member="Kairon Rees"]

“Wow,” Kairon said. “You look beautiful,” he said after realising he’d left a lingering silence. She had flat out refused to let him see the dress, but not it became clear why she had picked out a green cravat for him when given some options. He had a slim fitting waistcoat with an ivory brocade on the front and green silk back. The cravat he wore almost matched the dress she had on.

Asmus had ignored the pair and rushed off ahead. As Kairon fell into step besides Malia he heard the boy call back “airspeeder isn’t here yet!”

“I do like getting dressed up and going out every now and again. Not as much as Asmus, but still. Just a damn shame it’s under these circumstances this time,” he said. She would see from the tension in his jawline that he was becoming increasingly tense. He kept a light grip on her elbow as they walked.

"Kai, everything will be fine."

She murmured to him as they walked along through the corridors. The rest of the crew were given leave for the night so a few of them had gathered in the conference room to watch a film and eat dinner around the big table. Mal didn't mind, she usually joined them if it was a really good one.

Her heels were conservative and low, matched to the color of the dress so as not to give her too much height next to Kairon or draw attention from the smooth even color and flow of the fabric. Mal spent more on the dress than she did in a night gambling but the look on Kairon's face when she emerged from her cabin was worth every credit.

The speeder arrived and they were seated before long and zipping away to the Descart estate in Eriadu City. Mal had been to a few formal functions during her academy days and her naval career. She could paste on the dutiful smile when she needed to. Asmus looked positively in his element and Kairon looked like he was about to face an execution squad.

She leaned over, and gently whispered in his ear.

"Kai, I love you. Everything will be fine. It's just a ball."

[member="Kairon Rees"]

Turning in his seat to face her, her gave her hand a gentle squeeze as he mouthed 'thank you'. The last time he'd been to one of these occasions it had become painfully obvious that he didn't quite fit in with this world any more. It had cemented his plan to break away, steal a company ship and vanish.

The boy had left him tethered to this world, but also likely his sanity as well. Asmus was sat facing opposite them, back to the droid driver. He kept turning in his seat to look over his shoulder to look for their residence. Wouldn't be far now.

"So when did you go shopping then?" he asked Mal, looking for a distraction. "It's really nice, suits you," he added. As he sometimes still did, a part of him wondered why she'd settled for him.

"When I took Gracie, and the girls on that solo run. Left everything I bought on Gracie."

She squeezed his hand, looking out the window.

"Shopping for an occasion like this is not the time to bring your partner with you. You would think I look good in everything. I need unvarnished opinions like 'Mal, that makes your tummy look terrible' or 'I don't think you want to wear that at a ball, it looks like a bad cocktail waitress on Zeltos'."

She smiled in a mocking way.

"I may not dress it like, but I was taught to be a lady at one point."

The speeder was slowing now as it drew up to a huge estate and a line of other speeders discharging passengers on the steps of a huge house. She took a deep breath and sighed.

"Showtime."

[member="Kairon Rees"]

“Yeah, he we go,” he said quietly. Asmus had a broad grin on his face as he noticed a group of young adults of a similar age standing to the side of the staircase laughing and drinking flutes of champagne. Kairon glowered.

The merchants took pride in not being nobility. No one was announced as they entered a merchant ball and most families were happy for invitees to bring guests. No one made a big fuss if people didn’t dress in the correct manner, but people would still be silently judged for style. A lead up the steps and everyone had their old glass of champagne. There was quiet strings music in the background, but the later the night drew the more rowdy the music and dancing.

“Notice something odd?” Kairon whispered to Mal. “Look over there, that’s Chad for the Obstinate. There are some of our people around,” he observed. Not many, and generally well presented, but there were a few notable smuggling captains at the party. “I don’t like this…” he started to growl, but his train of thought was interrupted.

“Kairon Rees!” an elderly man said in a friendly tone as he approached, arm outstretched for a hand.

“Bardy Thule!” Kairon replied, meeting the smile and shaking his hands. “Please meet my partner Malia Afredane,” he added and the old man leaned in to kiss the air just to the side of her face.

“You’ve been well missed. I always used to like your tales of life on the edge. Was good to hear your family hadn’t completely disowned you and still had you working for the empire.”

“Sorry?” Kairon asked with a confused expression, but the sociable old man had already moved on.

Mal sipped the champagne, smiling as easily as she could looking around the room. She knew Chad, and a couple others who caught her gaze and nodded in recognition.

The party was lively, for being early yet. The arrivals and greetings were lofting the mood of the room. When Bardy kissed at her cheek, she smiled demurely but did not speak. She was here for support and as of yet, Kairon didn't seem to be too grouchy.

She watched the old man leave and turned to Kairon.

"Who was that?"

[member="Kairon Rees"]

Kairon turned his shoulder around to face Mal, slightly offset. Here he was close enough to talk quietly again whilst scanning the room over her shoulder. Usually this was done on a dangerous bar when they wanted to scan for weapons. Kairon almost considered this situation more dangerous.

"The Thules are everyone's friends and everyone is a friend of a Thule. They made their money as intermediaries between the other families. Pissing them off is a dangerous business because you leave yourself exposed if you end up in a disagreement with another family business. They're essentially the collection of the best lawyers on Eriadu," Kairon said. "Wolf in sheep's clothing doesn't even begin to cover it."

"Not sure what he meant though. Still haven't spotted a family member. Food?" he asked, offering his arm.

She took his arm, a warm smile lighting up her features. She would never make a big deal out of it, but he looked really good tonight. The hair swept neatly back, the waistcoat and cravat, the smile that seemed to beam from him even if it was a fake one. He was a handsome man and she could see the looks in the eyes of some of the women. He had the rugged look of a adventurer.

If they only knew he liked curling up to watch trashy tv shows with her on the couch.

That might make him more enticing.

Mal chuckled as she looked over a tray of h'ors d'oeuvres. She delicately took a small canape and popped it in her mouth. Delicious.

[member="Kairon Rees"]

Kairon left his drink on the tray of a passing waiter. He'd been about to take another flute, but thought the better of it. Mal had clearly spotted something amusing by her small laugh. As he took a couple of bites to eat a roar of rapturous laughter interrupted his train of thought before he could ask what it was.

"Ah, our host," Kairon said. William Descart had long turned grey, hair thinning on the top, but still kept long at the back. One might have expected the sound to come from a red-faced, portly gentleman. Instead, you could tell the head of the family had once been a broad, powerful man.

"We'll probably get introduced at some point." Kairon noticed that Asmus had already found a pack and introduced himself. "Honestly, I find myself wishing that boy had been born ugly so many times. So, shall we go and talk to some scoundrels or go and find my family?" he asked. He was beginning to relax just a little now, but still wasn't too keen on being confronted with his sister quite so soon. Yet his suspicion was starting to get the better of him. There was something going on here.

"Kai, here he's not our responsibility. I'd argue that he's never our responsibility. He's an adult by galactic standards. You've got to stop treating him like a child. If he gets into a mess, or causes a scene, let it be on his head. Let him go."

Mal kissed his cheek, then smoothed away a slight mark where her lip gloss left a trace.

"Come on, let's go see how the Obstinate is getting on."

She left her flute on a passing tray as well and wandered over to greet Chad. They thankfully did not give each other air kisses, it would have been too strange. Mal shook his hand just like the last time they had seen each other on Sullust, running loads for the Alliance up the Rimma route.

"How'd you get roped into this shindig?" Mal asked as she plucked a prawn from a passing tray.

[member="Kairon Rees"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom