Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Astrogation

Me being curious about space, with spoilers for those who haven't seen the new film yet. Seriously, go see it.

So, it's already been pretty much confirmed that hyperspace doesn't act quite how we expect it to, since launching straight into hyperspace from a hangar and dropping from hyperspace within atmosphere are now things. And we know that sucking up a sun in its entirety is possible too, if time consuming.

Since I'm far from a physicist, my question is how would Starkiller base sucking up the sun, the primary source of gravity in the system, affect the rest of the system (orbits, planetary rotations, hyperspace, etc)? Also, how would suddenly having the old sun back, but in a brand new position do? Both to the newly-destabilized system and if the system did somehow magically stay the same.

I don't know anything about the last paragraph.

But I'm pretty sure in Old Lore (since it is the only thing that can really touch this subject) that hyperspace could technically take people into gravity wells. The reason why ships would drop out would be because of safety measures. Now why people can't turn those off in order to reenter hyperspace... idk? I have no answer to that, but I'm pretty sure that the reason why navigation was so important was to make sure that you didn't travel into a star (which is a pretty big gravity well).

[member="Audren Sykes"]

Most likely from what I understand of physics the entire orbital chart of the sytem would change. If the sun was the largest gravity field and most powerful and then chnaged posistion the nearby systems would drift towards it, repsositioning accordingly. The surfaces of the planets would also change depending on where they ended up closer or farther.

Honestly jumping through the system would be a nightmare if you weren't either an Instinctive Astrogator or Had updated drift charts.

Corey's OOC

And where were the spiders
*goes to see the movie in 30 minutes*

Basically how I see what Solo is doing is what the Starchasers and Merrills would do. Turn off all safety governors on yiur ship and fly.

Suns would change charts. Safety procedures would pull someone from hyperspace if they were active.

I know that Legends had that pilot Jedi able to jump into a gravity well.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Let's math.

Q: The physics of a object (starship) smashing into a celestial object (planet) at tremendous speed (hyperspace) = ________

The answer are not math good up times.

Look. Hyperspace, is stupid. Planetary shielding, is stupid. Kessel Run in 12 parsecs, isn't even a correct measurement of time. The Force is retarded mumbo-jumbo. [member="Audren Sykes"] the answer to your musings is that Star Wars doesn't make any sense. Sucking up a sun? Please. There is no known matter that can contain the force of a sun. Radiation escapes even black holes. Starkiller Base is absurd. Ridiculous. Astronomically incorrect in excess. It does not math. Lol. :p

Can't we all just agree that Star Wars is cray-cray and roll with the punches. Handwavium is a thing, after all. Let's just call it what it is. Handwavium. :D

___

IC explaination

Clearly Starkiller base uses anti-protonic sucking fields to store the ionized energy inside a hyper-thermic capacitor. The gravity fields of the local system are themselves re-stabilized and held in place by retro-grade veltronic matter. Which causes Starkiller Base to emit the latent gravity back into the system with an error margin of only 0.001%. This allows the local system to remain oscillating in it's Adamic-Evitic point at near normal speeds. This veltronic raditation has a half-life of exactly the same lifespan of the star that was consumed. Allowing the local system to remain neutral for thousands of years. Even after the loss of it's sun.

It's clearly just science.

Far as I understand it, nearly everything astrogation-y we saw was consistent with previous lore.

• There's never been anything serious that forbade jumping from a hangar. The ship shredding the monster was consistent too, by velocity and hyperspace field.
  • Jumping near a planet is an issue of safety and precision. Saesee Tiin could pull off an in-atmo slingshot without, you know, dying. No surprise to know that Han's that good. And of course it's a denial of the old 'any ship is a superweapon if you turn off the safety governors and ram a planet' nonsense, which is a marginal reading that keeps cropping up.
  • The X-wings sitting in hyperspace waiting for the exact moment of the signal was consistent too. Things can be tethered and moored in hyperspace.
  • There was one other big thing with astrogation implications, but I'm very sleepy and it's escaping me.
  • I'm not touching the sun thing because it's a separate issue, and it's presented with so little rationale and after-the-fact explanation. I'm sure more materials will come along that help explain it.

Corey's OOC

A sun can contain a sun

Let's math

1 sun = 1 sun

Also 1 sum + 0 sun equal 1 sun.

Sun power gets drained by solar panels (there is a news article about how come politicians believe solar power will drain the sun.

So solar panel convert sun to battery. Battery power weapon. Weapon blow things up. Sun used to blow up planet.

1 sun - 1 sun energy = zero sun

Corey's OOC

FRIDAYFRIDAYGOTTAGETDOWNONFRIDAYFUNFUNFUNEVERYBODYLOOKINGFORWARDTOTHEWEEKENDWEEKENDGOTTAGETMYBOWLGOTTAHAVECEREALGOTTAGETDOWNTOTHEBUSSTOPISEEMYFRAAAAAANSKICKINGINTHEFRONTSEATCHILLININTHEBACKSEATGOTTAMAKEMYMINDUPWHICHSEATCANITAAAAAAKE

I was wondering why my screen was stretched so far. Now I see why. Corey's excesses. Put a space in there man! :p

I'd forgotten about the safeties. That part makes some sense. Though we do see in the Swarm War trilogy (yea, yea, I know) that a starship encountering a nebula in hyperspace can cause critical friction, so an atmosphere should as well. And I've read multiple times about "ramping up" to lightspeed rather than launching from a standstill. And Jay, yes handwavium. I'm aware. Still curious.

Jay Scott Clark said:
Kessel Run in 12 parsecs, isn't even a correct measurement of time.
As I've said, and many others too, it's not meant to be.

The Kessel area has lots of black holes, so doing it in 12 parsecs means taking the shortest route through the nest of black holes.

Now, yes, this is an EU explanation, it is one which fits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom