Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asking Without Asking (Taeli)

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Taeli Raaf"]

So there was a risk of infiltration, at least enough to justify prudence. Interesting. "That would be a decision for His Majesty," Ajira said. "The last Jedi group to establish an enclave did so without consulting him, and began a mass ingress. He interrupted it, deported them, and had their enclave razed to the ground. Then we had to hire Akure - AEI - to contain and neutralize the location; apparently this group had left a few surprises for their last landlords on Yavin. They weren't his kind of Jedi, or yours -- the Order of the Grey, I think they were called -- but enclaves and Jedi groups and so forth are touchy subjects at the moment. All that to say, I agree that holding off would be best.

"Thank you for agreeing to consult. In relation to the infiltration issue, I'm about to read you in on information that could use your perspective. Your Alliance clearance has sufficed for what we've talked about, but this is codeword-cleared - operation TERMAGANT." She placed a datapad on the desk. "Thumbprint on the non-disclosure, and you'll see the transcript of a recording. Note that you'll be unable to copy it."

***​

PARTIES: President Carlisle BLAKE, Suravi TEIGRA

TEIGRA: Careful, Carl, we wouldn’t want to [REDACTED]. Relax and have a drink with me.

[inaudible - environmental sounds]

TEIGRA: Better? Good, I thought you would enjoy your favorite drink. [REDACTED] Then I’ll trust you to speak, but if you voice raises above a conversational level, then I’ll have to keep you quiet until I’m done. Alright, feel free to speak. And to answer your question, yes, I am a Force Sensitive, though I imagine that isn’t too much of a surprise. Ciana never paid much mind to my words for discretion.

BLAKE: [REDACTED] You?

TEIGRA: It was. [REDACTED], but I didn’t want anyone else alerted to our meeting. It was a risk [REDACTED], but I thought you deserved to see me in person one last time.

BLAKE: One last time. Just what hell have you been doing? I’ve just been having the time of my life trying to explain to the senate why an entire flotilla just went dark, only to appear over Cuvacia before disappearing again. I trusted you.

TEIGRA: You did, and I can’t apologize enough.

BLAKE: Su, I don’t want your damn apologies, I want an explanation.

TEIGRA: The Sith.

BLAKE: Yes, the Sith, the ones you were helping on Atrisia.

TEIGRA: I did, I admit it. Darth Mephirium, or Cyril Grayson as I know him.

BLAKE: Have you lost your ever loving mind?! What have we been doing for the past decade? Why did I just send a expeditionary group to the Wornal sector, just to have you shoot at the Alliance the next month. Why did you-

TEIGRA (interrupting): I could spend weeks breaking this down to you, but I don’t have the time. You can just review the telemetry for yourself. The Sith aren’t one monolithic group, and often work against each other. The Alliance and Mandalorians were led to Atrisia by Sith. Then the Alliance sent in their Mandalorian dogs to take the planet and the fleet that protected Atrisia. My entry into the battle was to reinforce Dominion forces and force the Alliance to the table to negotiate for a peaceful solution. I’ve found it hard to believe that the Alliance was acting with justice in mind when they attacked the Dominion on Atrisia, whilst Sith Lords practically galivant freely across First Order space and the Caldera without opposition. They allowed genocide to happen on their doorsteps on Sekalus while they idly sat by. Yet somehow, the Republic was able to manage send aid a half a galaxy away. It was the same situation with the Silver Jedi at the Caldera. When the Republic was being bled dry by the Sith and then the Mandalorians, the Alliance couldn’t be bothered to help while they were busy annexing new territories to enrich themselves. After a few half hearted attempts against the One Sith, they only made a serious effort when the One Sith was on its last legs from in-fighting, then they didn’t even finish the job themselves. There’s other things I could mention, but the short of it is, the Galactic Alliance isn’t as noble as they make themselves out to be. They are cold and calculating like any empire. Maybe it didn’t start out that way, but their crusade for justice has become a quest for power. The Republic wasn’t an ally to be saved, but competition to be quashed. I’ll be the first to admit that the Republic has been a mess since day one, myself compounding the problem, but that was no excuse to abandon the people. Maybe the Alliance has done some good all these years out in the Outer Rim, but at the cost of the quadrillions they left to suffer in the Core. Now, triillions more as the First Order and the Mandalorians are allowed to grow unopposed. I do not hate the Galactic Alliance, but I also don’t agree with the path they have chosen to take in promoting their brand of order. This is why I opposed them. Not for Grayson, not for his Sith posse, but for the future. Tyranny under Jedi or Mandalorians is no better than tyranny under the Sith.

BLAKE: I know you, and I figured you had your reasons, but this is a lot to take in. I really don’t know how to respond.

TEIGRA: There is only one way.

[inaudible - environmental sounds]

TEIGRA: Denounce me and move on.

BLAKE: What?

TEIGRA: You’ve always been a little too compassionate for your own good. Stop hesitating and do what needs to be done to preserve the Union. I’ve dragged you all through enough with my failed campaigns. Just let me go.

BLAKE: Suravi.

TEIGRA. You don’t do this now, or Kiribi will suffer more. Denounce me, and remind the Galactic Alliance what your administration has done. Hell, follow up on my original proposal for Kiribi to join the GA. I don’t know if that will be enough, but it’s a start. It turns my stomach telling you these things after what I just said, but it needs to be done.

BLAKE: I’ll have to think about-

TEIGRA (interrupting): No more thinking! The Senate will impeach you if you don’t set the record straight. Everything we have worked for will be undone. Again, denounce me. I acted under my own volition. That’s treason. Mishandling of classified information, grand larceny, I could go on with the charges. By the letter of the law, I am an enemy of the state.

[extended pause]

BLAKE: I’ll do it.

TEIGRA: Thank you.

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

"I've known the leader of the Order of the Grey for a long time, Alex Feanor, and she always seems to have a problem with acting before obtaining permission," Taeli said as Ajira mentioned what happened. Not that Taeli minded that Alex had seemed to muck up any chance for a Jedi enclave appearing on Naboo anytime soon. But she couldn't very well say that out loud, now could she? She was curious about what this transcript might be, so she placed her thumb on the sensor, agreeing to the NDA.

As she read the transcript of the conversation between Suravi and this President Blake, listening particularly to Suravi's reasons why she had joined the Dominion forces in battle, she couldn't stop her brow from furrowing in thought. So that was the way she had justified her actions, interesting, and the fact this President Blake was in cahoots with her seemed... like an opening. He might have denounced her publicly, but that had all been part of the farce. She leaned back in her chair, processing what she had just read.

"I think the chance for peaceful negotiation of that battle went out the window with the Force Storm the Sith summoned," Taeli dryly commented. "If I remember correctly, Admiral Sevv and his task force was alerted to the buildup of Sith forces in the Atrisia system by an SIS agent on the ground. You might want to discuss with him which agent sent the information, see if maybe they are what she fears they are. As for her other points..."

She trailed off, still thinking about how to phrase this without sounding too callous.

"I honestly don't think anyone but Suravi cared about what happened on Sekalus, given the events that world suffered," she said. "I know Alliance command wasn't going to lift a finger for that crazy despot who turned her people in cat girls, regardless of who was attacking there. No treaty and all that. I do like how she points out the Alliance hasn't done anything about the Sith in the Stygian Caldera and in First Order space. Almost like the Alliance was trying to avoid a war with the First Order while they dealt with the One Sith and the Caldera is on the other side of the galaxy to send any help in time. I also love she calls, what did she say..." she re-read the part about the half-hearted attempts quickly. "... half-hearted attempts and beating an empire on its last legs. Certainly didn't seem like that at Dulvoyinn and Coruscant."

Suravi would need to be dealt with, Taeli decided privately. She was too much of a loose cannon and there were the disturbing reports she had received as a founding member of the Directorate.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"There are concerns," said Ajira carefully, "that Admiral Sevv's judgment may have been compromised. I'm not impugning his loyalty, but I find the timing intriguing. The decision to bring a full fleet to Atrisia was largely his, as far as I'm aware. So was the controversial choice to reach out to the Zambranos and turn them against their allies. I don't have your experience with the Force, but my understanding is that it can affect judgment temporarily - a 'mind trick', I believe it's called. I'm uncertain as to whether Admiral Sevv's court-martial appearance examined that possibility, but it might be worth a look as an alternative line of investigation.

"I agree with your assessment of the Alliance's strategic choices, by and large. Naboo appreciates the Alliance's recent efforts to avoid war. Those who objected to joining the Alliance, myself included, did so on the grounds that we are a peaceful people. Your government's reticence and...well, timidity isn't quite the right word...have gone a long way toward legitimizing the Alliance in the eyes of the people of Naboo.

"Based on our analyses and your advice, I'd guess that Teigra is delusional, was lying to Blake, or suspected she was under surveillance. Thank you for your help, Master Raaf."

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

"It is possible I suppose that Admiral Sevv was being influenced," Taeli replied. "Mind tricks only work on those with a weak mind, but there are likely other avenues that could have been used. Not saying it happened, but it could be possible. I'm of the mind that Admiral Sevv was a bit... overzealous in heading to Atrisia and only looked at the Zambranos as allies of convenience. But, that would be a line of questioning for the admiral, yes?"

This discussion was prompting an idea to form in her head though. She couldn't possibly voice it out loud, but perhaps there was merit to the Alliance thinking there was a mole or moles among them. Great care would have to be made to do so though, but it could be done. She certainly wouldn't want any trails leading back to her.

"You're welcome, Lady Cardei, I will always be happy to assist," she said, smiling a pleasant smile that would mask any thoughts running through her mind. "Do feel free to bring any such questions you or your government have to me and I will try my best to offer helpful information."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"I'll take my leave, then. You've been extremely helpful, Master Raaf." Ajira rose, smoothing out her skirts, and inclined her head slightly. "His Majesty's Office may have follow-up questions at some point. Who knows -- for all that we have so little to work with, we may yet puzzle out the truth."

As she left Taeli's office, she took a final look at the panoramic view. The Centrality's capital, the land of lakes, was much like Naboo, but something about the light was different. The color, the hue, something; she couldn't quite put her finger on why this place seemed so familiar and yet subtly wrong or different or...

Probably just the light.

[member="Ajira Cardei"]

"Until we meet again or you have need of me, Lady Cardei," Taeli said, bowing her head as the woman left her office. Once the doors closed, Taeli got out of her chair and made her to the window that overlooked the campus for her company and gave an excellent view of the capital city in the distance. Such an interesting meeting, and such an interesting individual. Taeli had felt it before, during their meetings on Naboo, but now she was certain of it. Lady Cardei would be someone to both work with... and keep an eye on.

Not looking back, she used the Force to turn on her secure holo-terminal and the image of a masked individual appeared.

"I have a task for you, my dear," she said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom