Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Asiminesti (Stormbringer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B3TJgPF.jpg
Asiminesti (Stormbringer)
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create Adrian Vandiir's first lightsaber.
  • Image Source: [X] - Darkside Creative
  • Canon Link: Lightsaber
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Lightsaber
  • Size: Average
  • Weight: Very Light
SPECIAL FEATURES
Strengths:
  • Force Focus: With a Qixoni Crystal as its main and a Meditation Crystal as its secondary, this weapon is as much a focus for its wielder's force abilities as it is a conventional weapon.
  • Power: In addition to its force enhancing capabilities the Qixoni Crystal produces an unusually powerful blade.
  • Finesse: As a result of its relatively small size and songsteel hilt the lightsaber is far lighter than usual, making it well suited for those favouring grace over raw strength.
  • Extreme Durability: With an outer casing made entirely out of songsteel, and with no buttons and the like to serve as weak spots, the lightsaber is capable of surviving just about anything, even being able to operate underwater.
  • Force-activated: Being force-activated, the weapon can normally only be turned on or off by a force user. However, in the event of its connection to the force being severed, anyone can activate it by twisting part of the grip. It should be noted that while it doesn't possess a blade lock, it can be kept active during a sabre throw by having the wielder maintain a constant, but hardly taxing, focus on it.
Weaknesses:
  • Cortosis: As with most lightsabers, contact with cortosis, at least in a sufficiently pure form, will short it out.
  • Kinetic Force: As with any lightsaber, solid projectiles and other attacks that carry kinetic force are difficult to effectively defend against, an issue compounded by the low weight of the short songsteel hilt.
  • Strength: Due to its low weight and a grip that's only long enough for one hand, the lightsaber is poorly suited for contests of strength.
DESCRIPTION
The lightsaber. The iconic weapon of the Jedi and the Sith alike. A symbol of their power, and an important tool in their arsenal.

Adrian Vandiir was no mighty champion of the Dark Side, striding across battlefields and filling the hearts of his foes with dread. He was no sinister assassin, skulking through the shadows and fuelling the nightmares of his foes. No, he was a Scholar. A Sorcerer. He was no swordsman. No throat-slitter. His was the art of lightning sizzling against flesh, not blade cleaving through bone.

And yet, sometimes physical confrontations were unavoidable. Sometimes he had no choice but to meet a foe on the field of battle, blade against blade. It was for that reason that he set out to create a lightsaber but, as in everything else, he would not settle for mediocrity. He would not bring into existence a vicious instrument of war, but a graceful tool of death. The first, and most important, step in this endeavour would be to acquire the primary focusing crystal.

There were many options, but one appealed to him more than any other. A Qixoni Crystal. Not only was it powerful, it would also serve to enhance his force abilities. The crystals were, however, notoriously hard to come by. And yet he would not give up so easily.

Corporate resources were spent sending hirelings to scour the Qixoni Nebula. Leads were chased down. Information brokers consulted. In the end, it was all for nought. No crystal was to be found. That would have been the end of that venture, had it not been for a stroke of fortune.

During a business trip to Cato Neimoidia, a lead was finally found. While building relations in Neimodian high society, rumours reached his ears of a Neimodian oligarch with a fondness for rare gems and crystals. Supposedly, he had recently made a new addition to his collection that matched the description of a Qixoni crystal. It was a long shot, but it was better than nothing. After finagling a spot in an upcoming party at the oligarch's estate, he first sensed the presence of the crystal. Its promise of things to come like a sweet song to his ears. He had to have it.

At the end of the month, the oligarch was hospitalised, quite possibly maimed for life. His estate was in shambles but recovering. The mercenaries that had attacked it were either dead or had not known anything of importance in the first place. Nothing could be traced back to Adrian. All of that was secondary, of course. The only thing that mattered, really mattered, was that the crystal was his.

The rest of the lightsaber came together quickly enough after that. Another source had managed to retrieve a meditation crystal. A small supply of songsteel had been acquired. Plans had been studied in the libraries of the Sith. A small team of engineers had been creating or acquiring the necessary components, all of the highest quality. No expense had been spared. He was ready.

The parts were brought with him to the dusty valleys of Korriban, where the weapon was assembled. It could have been done anywhere, but after spending so much time on the project, he felt the need to make the finishing touches more... symbolic. It was on that hallowed soil, where the feet of the ancient Sith had once trod, that he dubbed the weapon Asiminesti. Stormbringer, in the tongue of the Sith. As the silvery hilt shone in the harsh sunlight, he could feel the potential humming from the weapon and the crystals within. To most, it would have been too faint to notice. To him, after all this time and effort, it was beautiful. A song of destruction yet to be written.

Hello, I'll be judging your submission this evening.'

Adrian Vandiir said:
Not only is the weapon force-activated, it also requires any would-be wielder to attune to it through lengthy meditation first. Should its connection to the force be severed, a hidden failsafe kicks in, allowing it to be activated/deactivated by twisting part of the grip.
So this is my only concern.

Please, tell me if I'm misinterpreting this. For anyone to use this lightsaber, it has to be attuned to them? Are they meditating on the lightsaber or one of the crystals?

[member="Adrian Vandiir"]

Adron Malvern said:
Please, tell me if I'm misinterpreting this. For anyone to use this lightsaber, it has to be attuned to them? Are they meditating on the lightsaber or one of the crystals?

They would be meditating on the Qixoni crystal, or perhaps both crystals in combination. The general idea is that it requires a one-time meditation session to attune to the crystals, after which said person can turn it off and on again at will. If the lightsaber is already active then nothing would be preventing them from using it, of course. I should probably note that there is no requirement as to who can attune to it: If a Jedi chops my head off and takes it from my cold dead body, they could attune to it easily enough, if they were even interested in that sort of thing.

If you feel like that's unreasonable, then one possibility would be to change it up so that you need to "resonate" properly with the crystals in order to turn it off/on. That would usually require some effort before the first use, but some force users would likely be able to pull it off on the spot.

A second option would be to ditch the activation requirements but add a sorcerous booby trap of some kind, similar to how lightsabers using conventional activation can have a trapped grip. It would, of course, be just as possible to circumvent that if one knew what one was looking for.

My biggest hang up is that you are using The Force to create a trap in the lightsaber. It's a bit unseen short of the lightsaber being touched by the dark/light side and having negative effects on a user of the opposite spectrum.

Adrian Vandiir said:
then one possibility would be to change it up so that you need to "resonate" properly with the crystals in order to turn it off/on.
I will allow this, however I need another good weakness added to the weapon.

Adron Malvern said:
I will allow this, however I need another good weakness added to the weapon.

OK, so I just realised that preventing other people from using your lightsaber is sort of the whole deal of Windu's Guile, a rare variant of, as I understand it, the already rare Hurrikaine crystal. Wouldn't want to steal the thunder of anyone using that.

For that reason, I'll be stripping my blade down to the force activation and the backup activation, which means that any force user can activate it normally, and anyone can activate it if, say, in a force nullification zone, such as the one generated by a Ysalamir.

I also added what is effectively a worse blade lock to the weapon. People generally seem to just assume that they have one, but I decided to specify in my case since it would have to function differently.

Almost Ready to be stamped, however I'd like to point out that in combat most people simply write that their character is using the force to keep the activation pad or switch depressed, keeping their blade ignited during a saber throw, is that basically what you're doing here? Or are you focusing on the same force mechanism you use to ignite the weapon via the force?

[member="Adron Malvern"]

Would be the latter, as there are no external mechanisms for me to compress. The lightsaber would be entirely composed of uninterrupted songsteel, with the exception of the blade emitter and the tiny gap that opens in the lower hilt allowing it to be activated/deactivated by twisting once the force-nullification failsafe kicks in. (Really simple mechanism, similar to the 0 or 1 thingamajig used by computers.)

(I made the assumption that all lightsabers would have a pressure grip unless stated otherwise, including mine, because dropping your lightsaber through the floor is such a hassle.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom