Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private As a Tree Planted by Flowing Waters

The snapping sound of a twig started a few colourful birds in their nearby roost. Their movement caused Ala to jerk her head to the right, to make out what it was exactly that had stirred. The forest was dense, and hard going for one on a hoverchair. She was actually beginning to tire from the number of times she had stopped to lift a fallen, moss covered log out of the way, or pull back a branch to squeeze her chair through. The mental energy exerted was beginning to take its toll. She had clearly underestimated the time it would take to get to this great tree of which the locals had spoken. Satisfied that the small birds were not going to get back up, Ala pushed on.

Given the time it had taken her to get out here, it was unlikely that she was going to be getting back to her ship before dusk. So, her attention was not going from finding this tree, and perhaps finding a place to start a new colony of glowworms, to finding a place to spend the night. She had all the provisions she needed, and her hoverchair was comfortable enough to sleep in once her popup tent was erected about it. A place to do all this was the only thing she lacked.

The Force seemed to be smiling upon her, finally, as to her delight a small cave entrance had just come into view. The surroundings bustled with life, and within the cave itself there was clearly a fair amount of creepies and crawlies, but nothing big. Hopefully none of said creepies or crawlies would find their way into the tent as she set it up.

Chair hovering into the dark hole in the nearby grown over hill, Ala began to unpack her tent. She began the careful process of erectig the tent around her hovering chair, before lowering the tent to the ground and then her chair onto the floor of the tent. String ties, pegs and poles floated about her as she directed each piece carefully into place.

Her mind wandered briefly to the frustration she still felt over her disability. Though justly deserved, it still was a burden that she had not become accustomed too. It had been many months since her injury on Sarka, and still she sought resolution to the questions life had given her.

As the tent, and then in order her chair, drifted to the ground of the cave, Ala settled in as best she could, moving her uncoorpertive legs into the best spot possible for at least 3 or 4 hours of unbroken sleep. She would need to readjust after that small dose of sleep, but should get a couple more after that. That is...if the bugs stayed out.

5m5qOKV.png

The forest surrounding the Graywall was exceedingly quiet on this particular evening, allowing Heinrich's jaunt through its thick foliage to remain unhindered. He often took walks through these woods, finding calm in the tranquility therein. He ran his hands along the bushes as he moved through the forest floor. So much life... it was such a stark contrast to the worlds devastated by the years of war against the Sith. It seemed that such untouched life had become a rare commodity these days. With the coming wars against the darkness, Heinrich planned to take full advantage of what little peace he could.

The years he had spent in captivity under the thumb of the Sith had left him often feeling like he had missed out. So many battles not fought, so many journeys not taken... it was difficult for him to come to terms with at times. It was only by the will of the Ashla that he had been able to continue pushing forward. He had spent so much time feeling lost within the greater context of the galaxy, but now, upon rejoining his Essonian brethren, Heinrich finally felt a sense of purpose return to him. It gave him the strength to confront the years of torture at the hands of the Sith, and finally take back his own identity. Now, he could finally be free.

As he continued deeper into the dense forest, Heinrich began to pick up on another presence within the Force. Normally he would have been concerned with the potential for a threat, but here, in the outskirts of the Graywall, Heinrich knew that such a threat would be unlikely. He began following the signature, moving deeper into the dark forest. The strength of the signature continued to get stronger, reaching its zenith as he reached the entrance to the cave.

Much to his surprise, Heinrich had come across a tent set up within the cave. Unsure what to make of the situation, Heinrich kept his distance for now. Instead of approaching, he offered some soft-spoken advice.

"If you are looking for shelter, the Graywall is not far from here. Likely more comfortable accommodations than this cave."

He kept it short and to the point, curious to see if he could divine the intentions of the stranger.

She fell. The pit without end welcomed her into its all enveloping darkness, a darkness that never completed its threat, but persistently threatened. The walls of the pit were obscured by a rolling mist that clung to he face but never part when she tried to guide herself towards the wall. Just falling, towards the dark, but never fully being embraced by it.

"If you are looking for shelter, the Graywall is not far from here. Likely more comfortable accommodations than this cave."

The fall was completed in the moment that Ala awoke, hitting the hoverchair from what felt like many meters above. The feeling of hitting the chair was not followed by pain, nor a winding, but the shock was still there.

”Who is there?” She called, bumbling for just a moment to find her sabers, and activate her hoverchair.

The chair rose on its repulsors, as her sabers ignited cutting through the tent above her, letting the fabric fall away to either side. Yellow blades illuminated the cavern as her eyes struggled to adjust to the lighting.

”I...I mean no harm,” she said, realising that the ignited blades probably indicated otherwise, she promptly turned off her blades.

5m5qOKV.png

Under normal circumstances, the appearance of the lightsaber blades would have prompted Heinrich to grab his own, but something within the Force indicated that it would not be necessary. Instead, he maintained a calm demeanor as Ala Quin Ala Quin cut the tent around her. She was quick to disengage her lightsabers shortly after, confirming that violence what not her goal. He offered a slight smile as she spoke.

"No worries. If my sleep were interrupted, I can't say that I would react differently."

Heinrich gave some thought to the circumstances at hand. Had the Ashla sent him here for a purpose? He was unsure, but quite determined to find out. The Ashla tended to work in strange ways at times. In his time in captivity, he had failed to see the purpose. It wasn't until recently that he had begun to understand the importance of that struggle. Perhaps this stranger

"What brings you to the forest? Surely you have somewhere better to stay than this cave."

He took a couple of steps forward.

"If you'd like, you may return with me to the Graywall. We have warm food and soft beds. Since you just damaged your tent, it seems that you may be in need of a new place to rest your head."

It was said in jest, but the reality was that the forest could be a questionable place to sleep. Though the Ashlan Crusade had done solid work securing the borders of the Graywall, there was always potential for Sith spies to be lurking about. Heinrich felt that the stranger could take care of herself, but he was never one to turn down someone in need.

He offered another reassuring smile.

"I'm Heinrich, by the way. Heinrich Faust, knight of the Ashlan Crusade."

5m5qOKV.png

Ala smiled cautiously. Sure, she had a better place to stay. "Would not have made it back by nightfall," she said as she hovered out of the cave on her hoverchair, "this thing doesn't exactly aide my in quickly navigating an environment such as this. You would think it was an advantage, but not so..."

Noticeably she left the purpose of her trip out of the answer.

"I am not familiar with Graywall, but I would most certainly be open to an introduction to it," she said with a courteous nod of her head, "some place to spend tonight would indeed be beneficial...though I can probably just return to my ship...and fly to Graywall."

The invitation was certainly welcome, though Ala remained wary. She had learned that the galaxy was full of threats that she was yet to learn of, and this Ashlan Crusade did not sound like a peace loving group. The name containted the word 'Crusade' after all.

"Ala Quin. Jedi Knight of...well...just a Jedi Knight. It is a pleasure to meet you Heinrich Faust. If you would be so kind as to allow me the coordinates for this...Graywall...I will make my way there before the end of the day."

5m5qOKV.png

Heinrich could sense that Ala Quin Ala Quin was keeping some level of guard up, but understood the necessity of such walls. There were plenty of dangerous people throughout the galaxy, and caution was always wise. Regardless, she did express interest in visiting Graywall, and Heinrich would happily oblige. He pointed in the direction of the fortress, straight out of the entrance of the cave.

"Follow the fading sun and you'll reach there before long."

He was curious as to her lack of affiliation. Perhaps, since she wasn't a member of another order, she would find a home with the Crusade. That would be seen in time, however. For now, Heinrich would settle for getting her a place to rest.

"Don't be dissuaded by our military presence there. The Graywall may be a fortress, but it is also a place of beauty. As a Jedi, I recommend visiting the Great Oak. It is a place of clarity and calming. The light of Ashla is very strong there."

There were times when Heinrich wasn't incredibly outspoken about his beliefs in the Ashla. Though he was utterly devoted, he also understood that not everyone would warm up to such ideas. Sometimes, people needed to be met only with kindness.

He began walking from the cave, before stopping one last time to speak.

"You know, when Jedi find themselves on Ruusan, it is not without purpose. Perhaps you will find that answer during your stay."

With those words, Heinrich exited the cave, returning to the Graywall and awaiting her arrival.

5m5qOKV.png

Heinrich left Ala with numerous questions, and to be fair, some concerns. What was this Ashla he spoke of? She was not aware of Ruusan having some local religion that people clung too. Then there was the matter of this Graywall being a fortress. As Heinrich walked off, Ala found herself doubting her next move. Should she go to this Graywall or just continue her current path? Either way, she needed to clear up her campsite.

————​

By the time Ala had made it back to her modified commuter transport shuttle, she had come to the conclusion that this meeting with Heinrich had been of the Force. The Force had clearly brought him across Ala’s path, and the role he had to play in her journey was yet to be seen. But getting to Graywall had become the next logical step in trusting the Force’s will.

As the boarding ramp lowered, Ala found a small knot in her stomach release, giving her the first realisation of its existence. Was she truly anxious? Or was there some sense of destiny that was unfolding before her?

Hovering down the ramp, she cast a glance back towards the ship. “Close the ramp and keep the ship prepped for takeoff,” she said to her pilot droid just before she hit the bottom of the ramp. The droid responded with a flustered flurry of words that showed his continued penchant for the sentient emotion of worry.

When her head turned back, she noted a few guards approaching. ”Hi there...just responding to an invitation from a Heinrich...Faust?” She said, just realising that it could easily not have been his name, though he had seemed honest enough in aura. “I am hoping he can aide me in my quest to find the Great Oak...here on Russian somewhere.”

5m5qOKV.png

One of the guards of Graywall approached Heinrich with word of Ala's arrival, but there had been no need. Heinrich could sense her approach, and had already begun making his way to the gates when the ship had landed. He approached with all of the noble air of his station, more so than in the cave. It wasn't due to a change of heart, but rather to maintain order within the Graywall. As a high ranking member within the Crusade, Heinrich felt that it was his duty to set an example for the others, as well as maintain the morale of the soldiers through his own resolve.

As he approached Ala Quin Ala Quin , he met her with a slight, acknowledging bow. There was no telling if she would have accepted his invitation, yet Heinrich had a feeling. The Ashla called out to those with a resounding purpose, even if the recipients didn't realize it themselves. But in recent months, many had answered her call. Perhaps this one would as well.

Heinrich motioned for the guards to return to their posts, and they did so in haste. Many of them were still new to the cause, and had been acclimating to the call. The training sessions had been long and rigorous, but even the most green of recruits had managed to hold their own, hearts steeled by Ashla's light.

The Blade of Ession turned back to the newcomer, now offering a slight smile, as there was no longer the need to be so official.

"Welcome to the Graywall, Ala. If you would be so kind as to follow me, I'll show you the way to the Great Oak."

He wasn't entirely sure what she sought, but he could sense that she did indeed seek something. Whatever it may be, the Oak would be a place to find answers. It's majestic power and connection to the Light was a powerful tool for self-discovery and reflection. With those words, he turned, and started for the interior of the Graywall.

5m5qOKV.png

Cruising along on her floating chair, Ala looked over her host with an open face of curiosity. There seemed to be no reason for concern, no firing of Force sensitive synapses that might indicate some reason to be on alert.

”You invitation is most kind. Thank you for welcoming into your home like this,” Ala said with a bow of her head, “what exactly makes this Oak….great?”

She had done a small amount of research on the history of Ruusan but there was not much to mention about this ‘Great Oak‘. It seemed she was about to find out soon enough.

”You spoke of the light of Ashla when we last spoke,” Ala said, picking away for any details she could manage to obtain, “who is this Ashla? Is she some local god that is worshipped?”

Heinrich cracked a smile in the wake of Ala's curiosity. There were many that had instantly closed themselves off to the teachings of Ashla, whether it be due to fear or personal insecurity. Heinrich felt neither within her. Instead, she radiated with all of the qualities of a true beacon of the Light. He was no teacher, but would be more than happy to share what he could.

"The Great Oak shares a deep connection to the Force. In its shadow, we are able to commune with the Light on a greater level. It is, in some ways, its own Force nexus. To be truthful, we still do not fully understand the reason for its connection. Nevertheless, we give thanks all the same."

He felt blessed at being asked of the Ashla. Though far from the priesthood, Heinrich would never turn down the opportunity to share the wisdom of the Lady of Light.

"Local, yes, but also much more. The followers of Ashla are present across the galaxy."

He looked to her as they continued moving toward the garden where the Oak was present.

"You see, Ashla is the true representation of the Force. She is the Light, in it's most true essence. Many have followed within her warmth embrace, even if they haven't noticed. It is a faith as old as time, in one form or another. After all, the Light is the truth. It is what protects us, uplifts us, warms us. It is only due to Ashla that we are able to beat back the darkness of the Bogan."

As they neared the garden, Heinrich paused.

"Many of our own brethren within the Jedi do not understand this concept. They latch onto the status quo, which, in truth, has only served the darkness. It is up to us to help them see the error in their ways, and Ashla willing, bring them to a place of greater enlightenment."

Her curiosity suitably piqued, Ala pondered this connection that the Great Oak had and her thoughts naturally drifted to the Force connectivity granted by the Arachnocampa luminosa onderonia for which she was seeking a home. Perhaps there was a similar biological process taking place with the Great Oak,or maybe her little glow worms were not extinct in every corner of the universe, save Onderon, that she had thought.

“I am certainly curious as to the nature this Great Oak,” Ala said with a barely controlled smile of excitement.

As Ala listened to the explanation of the Ashla, more questions came to mind, and a fair amount of concern started to join in the jumble of thoughts. This sort of religious zeal combined with a clearly militant mindset had proven troublesome throughout history. Ala felt a concerning chill run through her.

”And what of the Jedi that do not accept the interpretation of the Force as a goddess? Is there some manner of imposition that would be placed upon those that do not align with your organisations understanding of the Force? Why is it not just a larger form of what we see around he galaxy with localised ideas and beliefs around the Force? After all…much of your language in describing Ashla is how I would describe the Light side of the Force already. Protection. Uplifting. Warmth…such things.”

Heinrich could sense that he inquisitiveness came from a deeper place than that of common knowledge. She was searching for something, and seemed to be hoping that the Oak could provide answers. Heinrich took a moment to look her up and down, once again examining the apparatus that kept her afloat.

"I sense a search within you. Tell me, is it healing you seek? If so, I must warn you against expectation. We must understand that the Ashla works in ways that we do not fully comprehend. Perhaps the Oak could heal you, perhaps not. The question will be more of internal healing than external, no matter the outcome."

He thought on Cedric's recent injury on Korriban. The man had lost one of his legs, largely due to his own misstep. Nevertheless, their faithful leader had once again proved his worth, as he had moved on from the injury and found a way forward.

"You must understand, your... situation is not as much a bane as you think. Many have suffered at the hands of darkness, and many have found their way out. I can promise you that, should you stay with us, we would do everything in our power to help you. But you can not expect Ashla to make you walk again. In truth, you may not be ready for it, as painful as that may be to hear. The Light has the ability to do many things, but we must be in a place to allow it to happen. This outcome may not be what you expect, and you must accept that reality. But make no mistake... Ashla's light does watch over you. I can sense it in you."

His offer to stay may catch her off guard, but Heinrich would never be one to turn away a soul seeking guidance and healing. He could sense the warmth of the Ashla around her, even if she wasn't aware of its presence.

"As far as our Jedi brethren go. They... how should I put this.. have their reservations about our beliefs. That being said, we have gotten results, which can speak for themselves. We helped cleanse the Tingel Arm of multiple Sith threats; an accomplishment that few Jedi Orders can claim as their own. Yes, we are more purist in our outlook, but in all truth, it is due to complacency that the darkness has been allowed to spread unchecked."

A brief pause followed his words.

"When I was captured by the Sith Empire, it was not the Concord that saved me, not the New Jedi Order. I was saved by individuals that followed Ashla, after years of Sith torment. It is only they that are willing to do what is necessary, and it is only through Ashla, and her vessel Lord Grayson, that we are able to take control in the wake of Sith opporession."

He took a moment to ponder on the past.

"I'm sure you have heard of the great Jedi purge of old. The only reason that it was even allowed to happen was because the Jedi had become stagnant. They became soldiers, politicians, and followers. They were so entangled in their own self-image, that they allowed the darkness to fester."

Heinrich turned to her, a serious look cast upon his face.

"The Bogan will never stop, Ala. The darkness will continue to spread as long as it is allowed to. And yes, we are willing to do more than most, and yes, perhaps that is controversial. But make no mistake... just like the Army of Light of old, we hold ourselves to a single purpose... to eliminate the blight of the Bogan, wherever it may rear its ugly head. If our brethren cannot understand that, then it is a small matter. They can continue their mission to protect those that cannot protect themselves, and we will focus on the one true mission."

He knew that it would be a lot for this newcomer to unpack, but nevertheless, it was the truth.

It was all a lot to take in. But Ala floated along on her chair for a time contemplating Heinrich's words. She could not say she disagreed nor agreed entirely with everything he had said, but one thing was entirely true. "It is not my legs I wish to heal..."

Her voice broke, just briefly at the words. "...that is not the real damage that was done by the Bryn'adul. They robbed me of my light. Rather. I allowed my light to diminish and give way to brutality. Seeing no other recourse that just...bloody violence. I lost the hope for conversing...converting...or even debating with my enemy. I just wanted them dead."

"My back may have been broken. But I was broken long before that moment. It is that brokenness that I wish to heal. My hope for the future...I wish to see again. If I never walk again, but my heart sings again with the confidence that the Light will always triumph...and good can overcome evil in the heart of any and all that seek it..."

A deep breathe.

"...I put on a brave face for those that expect me to not have changed. Forgive me..."

She became silent again. Listening to Heinrich as they moved along.

"The blight of the Bogan? The Dark Side of the Force?" She said with a furrowed brow, "and what of the people that are participants in the dark side? Do they get a moment of possible repentance? Or is that impossible in your view of things?"

Heinrich felt for Ala Quin Ala Quin as she explained her situation. He had shared similar experiences in the past; years of torture and imprisonment at the hands of the Sith had left him with his own scars to mend. In many ways, they still hadn't fully healed. Deep down, it was part of the reason for him staying out of much of the Crusade's battles. He did not wish to falter at the moment when his comrades would need him the most, and as such, had resigned to remain largely behind the lines. His tone changed as he spoke, carrying the weight of a deep understanding of what she was going through.

"The scars on the soul are the hardest to mend. They are what makes or breaks us, even more than physical injury. It is wise of you to acknowledge that, and you should take comfort in that clarity."

He took a deep breath that matched hers, his gaze drifting off into the distance.

"We all feel fear. It is an inherent part of humanity. We tend to put it to the side when in the presence of others, despite its lingering presence. In truth, it is not fear that leads to the darkness, but rather ones inability to resist it. It is not until we give in to the fear that we truly begin to fall."

He listened intently as she asked of the Crusade's perception of the Dark Side. It was no secret that the Crusade had built a reputation as fanatics, but many overlooked the true nature of their Crusade.

"Ashla teaches us that those that become enslaved to the darkness of the Bogan are not evil, but merely sick. It is our duty to attempt to cure them, and bring them back to the Light."

His gaze drifted back to her, his face once again carrying its usual stoic appearance.

"If we can not help them find the way, then it is merciful to end their lives. Slavery to the Bogan is to live in pain, and we do not wish to see others suffer. If that means we must put them out of their misery, then we will do so, and pray that they find their way in the next world."

In truth, he wasn't sure how she would take it. Many Jedi in the galaxy looked down on the Ashlan methods. Something in the back of his mind told him that perhaps she would understand. Ashla brought her here, after all, so he couldn't help but to believe that there was an unforeseen purpose to this chance encounter. Hopefully, she would understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom