Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Planet Argo VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
crystal_planet_by_aradacian.png
Name: Argo VII

Region: Tingel Arm
System: Argo System
Suns: 1 O-type star main sequence star
Orbital Position: Habitable zone, 7th planet
Moons: 0
System Features: The system resides within a nebulae and features seven planets, only Argo VII featuring life.
Coordinates: Galactic North East of Belkadan along the edge of the galaxy
Rotational Period: 35 standard hours
Orbital Period: 1,200 standard years

Class: Standard Earth size, crystalline composition
Atmosphere: Type IV
Climate: Temperature varies depending on the distance to the planet's core. Deeper into the planet warrants warmer temperatures while the surface is exposed to the effects of nonexistent atmosphere.
Gravity: sub-standard
Primary Terrain: Crystalline landscapes varying between barren plains, mountains of crystal shards, and even 'forests' of thin spires of crystal.

Native Species: Cheiracanth
Immigrated Species: None
Primary Languages: None; Cheiracanth have no verbal language
Government: Decentralized/Pseudo Tribal - Each Cheiracanth nest governs itself. The planet's nest leaders will occasionally meet as a group to determine major, species affecting decisions, but otherwise each nest rules itself
Population: ~400,000,000 Cheiracanth spread over the planet
Demonym: None; Cheiracanth are referred to by species.
Major Exports: Crystals (to be submitted separately through the Factory)

Affiliation: N/A

Major Locations:
  • Glass Hills - A series of warped sheets of crystal composed of various carbons and silicates, the Glass Hills are a massive expanse of hills and valleys. Here and there cracks in the crystal can be found where ravines of varying depths and lengths can be found. The area is criss-crossed by various natural pipes where the planet's natural electrical energy flows making it a prime location for a nest for those who can reach deep enough. The Hill Digger nest resides here, one of the largest Cheiracanth nests on the planet.
  • Glittering Forests - Less a single location and more a catch all for each individual forest of varying size, they forests aren't actually forests at all, but rather composed of tall, thin crystal structures that have naturally formed in the planet's low gravity. The 'trees' seem delicate, but are deceptively strong and resistant to damage. Rarely, one can find a natural pipe flowing with electrical energy near the surface, but otherwise the forests are rather barren. The Spire Climber and Orb Watcher nests can be found in the Glittering Forests, clustered around whatever natural, flowing pipe they have found.
  • Sea of Light - A large swath of crystal to the polar north of the planet, the Sea is really a plain of crystal. What gives it its name is that near perfect flatness of the crystal itself and the flickering lights of electrical energy playing beneath it. Unfortunately, the hint of the Cheirocanth's food source is a trick, for there are no natural pipes beneath the crystal. Instead, the crystal is incredibly clear for miles below. What is seen is the corona of the planet's core and the light of the energies there. The Glass Chaser nest resides near the edge of the sea around a natural pipe of energy, but rarely ventures out into the Sea itself.
  • Changer's Lament - A place steeped in history and avoided by nearly the entire species, the Lament is actually a shattered chain of gargantuan mountains made of diamond and other forms of crystal. The mountains are black and scorched, their shattered and splintered peaks rising to the stars. Here and there, magnetic anomalies can be found where crystals, sundered by the cataclysmic events of the Cheiracanth's past, float just above or around the mountains. It is here that one can almost always find a lone Forsaken, one of the Force sensitives of the Cheiracanth species. They are never here for long, but almost all of the Forsaken make frequent pilgrimages to the location. Whether for insight, penance, or a short time of shelter is not known, but enough searching for multiple days will often warrant finding at least one of the Force sensitives.

Culture:

The culture of Argo VII is based entirely around the Cheiracanth caste system, which is as follows.

Not much is known about Cheiracanth culture, but what is known is that the species is both very territorial and yet very open. The species divides itself into a type of caste system, not determined by rank or task, but by age. There are five basic categories, each with various sub categories, of Cheiracanth society.

The Infant Caste is entirely made up of the very young of the species. Each starts out as a crystalline chrysalis formed through budding from the body of the eldest Cheiracanth. As they develop, they finally break the chrysalis and absorb it into their bodies. From there, they reside deep within the nest until they've grown older. Until then, however, they are educated by the eldest of the species and fed by the energy hub at that location. This caste is seen as the beginning caste and, while functionally useless, are highly protected, allowing only those trusted by the entire unit to enter.

The Young Caste are Cheiracanth who are old enough to wander alone or in groups through the nest. They often reside within the same area as the Infant class, but are allowed to wander freely within the nest, but not outside of it. They are still educated by the eldest of the Cheiracanth and feed at the energy hub within the deep of the nest, but are allowed to learn and understand the world around them. It is at this point that the group is inspected by the elders to determine if a powerful Force sensitive is among the brood and, if so, it is cast out immediately from the nest and forced to wander alone.

The Adult Caste are adult Cheiracanth who are large enough and strong enough to defend the nest, build, and generally interact and survive the world outside the nest. These Cheiracanth are the most visible and are often seen scouting for new materials, adding to the nest, and generally interacting with other familial nests.

The Elder Caste are those Cheiracanth who have become large and sluggish with age and whose bodies have begun the process of becoming near indestructible. These Cheiracanth make up the equivalent of village elders, advising and cautioning the younger Cheiracanth in all things and providing a more experienced viewpoint on the inter familial relations as well as offering educated thought on nest expansion and politics.

The Ancient Caste is the smallest of the castes. These Cheiracanth have lived for centuries or more. Their bodies are almost impenetrable and most have become completely immobile. They are almost always in the deepest and most secure area of the nest where they remain stationary for ages at a time. This allows excess crystalline deposits to form upon their bodies that eventually become the crystalline Chrysalis of the species' infants. The Ancients remain within the deepest area of the nest for the rest of their lives, rarely moving if at all, and spend the last of their days budding new Cheiracanth and educating the newer generations until their own weight crushes them.

Outside of this, there are only two other groups within the network of castes. The Forsaken and the Weavers.

The Forsaken are those Cheiracanth who are strong in the Force and are often exceedingly rare. It is theorized that only a handful reside on the planet. They act as healers and sages, using their abilities to treat injured or sick Cheiracanth or to help discover new sources of energy for new nests. The Forsaken rarely remain in a single area for more than a few weeks to a month before moving on, forcibly or voluntarily. They are seen by the rest of the species as a necessary evil, an individual with useful and sometimes badly needed skills, but an individual with highly dangerous and volatile powers.

The Weavers are the historians and pseudo priests of the species. They are selected from the Young Caste for their task as a Weaver by the clearness of their color changing abilities. These Cheiracanth pass on the traditions and legends, the history of their people, from Weaver to Weaver and share them with the rest of their species. As they 'speak', the reason for their selection is evident as the clear colors they depict and their mastery of their positioning and electrical discharges means that the stories remain unchanged even after generations of telling. They often remain with their nest their entire lives, but nomadic Weavers are not unknown to the species.
Outside of this, the Cheiracanth are very open to members of their species, often welcoming them into their nests freely. The only area outside Cheiracanth are not permitted to enter are the deepest chambers where the Infants, Young, and Ancients reside.

Cheiracanth are species steeped in lore, relying on the Weavers to pass down their history through the generations as they have no written language. Cheiracanth are natural storytellers and will often gather in large groups to listen to a tale being told. They are also deeply spiritual and worship the Great Orb, the Argo system's star, in a form of monotheistic religion. The Weavers are primarily historians, but also serve as a type of priest as well. There is no true form of worship service or clergy system. Instead, the Cheiracanth believe that reciting the stories and histories, all tying into their form of sun worship, is to honor the Great Orb and so the tales are frequently told to all castes of the species.

Nests are often dug into the crystal landscape, built in natural fissures and caves, or - rarely - built up from the ground in small spires by adhering chunks of crystal together using natural glands in the Cheiracanth's mandible area. The construction of nests rarely deviate from a basic plan, though the exact layout is slightly different from nest to nest. Living areas are located towards the top of the nest nearest the nest entrances while chambers used for feeding and forms of discussion akin to town hall meetings are located below. The sick and injured are located in chambers below these and, deeper still, the 'breeding' chamber where the Infants and Ancients reside. This chamber always features a natural or artificial 'well spring' of electrical energy for the very young and very old to feed from.

Technology: Equivalent to standard, based on the natural energies of the planet*.
History:

Originally believed to simply be a small nebula on the edge of the galaxy, it was initially thought that the random gas and dust cloud was illuminated by nearby stars and beyond the edge of the known galaxy. Recently, however, scientists have spotted that the nebula features its own star. This is not unusual in its own right, but upon closer inspection it was discovered that the nebula was not, in fact, outside of the edge of the galaxy, but was instead simply 'close' to the unseen barrier that exists.

Initial scans showed a small number of planets around the star and a survey group was sent to investigate. The foray returned data of a solar system inside a nebula featuring seven planets. Of the seven, the six closest were entirely uninhabitable due to close proximity to the system's star or having a highly, highly radioactive landscape. The last planet, however, was both intriguing and within the habitable zone, though without any real atmosphere.

The planet was scanned and approached by the scout vessel and found to be composed entirely of crystalline structures and fluctuating with a form of electrical energy source. As the ship landed, crystalline landscapes were seen, a clear sign of both scientific discovery and, for the more materially oriented, a great source of wealth should the crystals prove valuable and easily harvested.

Unfortunately, all recording stopped as the survey group left the confines of their ship and ventured deep into the planet itself. Occasional tidbits made it through for a short time, speaking of energy funnels and 'pipes' as well as minor heat differentials as the group made their way deeper. After this, all broadcasting ceased.

Rescue missions were sent, both armed and unarmed, but met with little success before they, too, vanished. Currently, scientific exploration of the planet itself is on hold until the mystery can be solved...

OOC History:

The survey and rescue teams may have delved into an actual Cheiracanth nest and, therefore, became immediate and unknown threats to the nest itself. Any faction looking to lay claim to the planet will need to deal with the peculiarities of the species as well as keep clear of the nests themselves. They'll also need to bring a Force user skilled in telepathy and hope that the nest they contact happens to have a Changer nearby at the time to communicate.

Gotta love the nuances of human/alien interaction.

Notable PCs: N/A
Intent: I was thinking about it and figured, why not make a neat and unique planet that is both mesmerizing and mysterious with an element of danger added to it? Toss in the unique concept of a crystalline planet and here we go.

Notes:
* The natural energy field on the planet, often referred to as Electrical Energy, operates very much like an underground water aquifer. It originates within the planet via unknown means and spreads throughout the world through natural fissures and channels called 'Pipes' until they reach natural or artificial 'wells' where the Cheiracanth can access and draw sustenance from the energies there. The Cheiracanth also use it for various purposes such as light as well as to power their technology equivalents.

[member="Coryth Elaris"]
As the species for the planet was approved a lot more quickly than I thought it'd be, I'll take tomorrow to add in the stuff for them in this sub so I don't have to pester folks for edits later on down the line :p

So I'm assuming that the electricity flows through the planet in a similar fashion to water through underground aquifers, yes? It's just a little unclear whether it functions like that, or works entirely differently. Might want to add some detail to that part of things, to make it more clear.

Second thing, is it's almost impossible to have a planetary system inside a nebula. The immense heat of the nebula gases alone run between 7,700C to 19,000C +. The actual stars get much hotter, and the closer you sit to any one of those the hotter it will be. With nebulae it's extremely difficult for anything aside from a newly forming star to survive in one.

The best option would be for the nebula to obscure it from sight, hiding the new system behind it. With it being right on the edge of the galaxy, that wouldn't be unheard of. The other option is to go with an interstellar cloud, which are much cooler (-262C ish). And that seems to be more what you were describing at the top of the history section, and a lot more hospitable.

Really like the idea of what you are doing here. It's very unique and I think the first entirely crystalline planet to come through. Aside from those two things, it looks fantastic.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

[member="Coryth Elaris"]
Normally I'd be really chill with your judgement and you do bring up a good point, but star wars canon kind of gives a bit of precedence. I'll list the links as I find them.

Bala Trix Nebula - the planet of Bespin is located in this nebula. I know, I know, the behind the scenes thing sort of discredits that as it was erroneously placed there, but I figured it was worth a mention.
Chol Nebula - This nebula engulfed much of the system and the planet Cholganna passed through it for 2/3rds of its orbit around the system's star.
Cauldron Nebula - The planet Eol Sha is located in this nebula which was originally founded for miners to profit from the nebula's gasses

There's a load more out there. I'd list all of them, but my computer is really starting to lag hardcore the longer I'm on Wookiepedia.

*grumbles about the broken physics* The whole in a nebula thing makes my brain hurt if I'm honest. There's sci-fi and there's way the heck out there. This is one of those. If only the writers knew the difference between nebula and interstellar cloud, but I digress on that note. I'll let that be.

Just clear the electricity thing I mentioned up. It really does need some more details to it, given it's central to the species, and the planet, as well as being incredibly unique. If it's just an aquifer like system, or something else. Give some definition to it, for me.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

[member="Coryth Elaris"]
In a lot of ways I agree with you, but I think the issue is that it lies with the origination of the usage. I think the authors and lore makers of star wars books and games didn't fully know the difference or figured the fan base wouldn't and used it anyways.

Also, added in a section at the bottom and a tidbit in the tech area which hopefully explains how the energy works :)

You're most likely correct on that. Apologies if I seemed harsh there. :p Mild annoyances with really broken physics.

Anyway, I'll hush and approve this thing already. :)

Approved Pending Secondary.

[member="Arrbi Betna"] | [member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Urg, this is one of those exceptionally annoying canon precedents which I don’t like. I tell my team to ignore silly canon precedents if needed, but this one is rather too common to be brushed off. So….

I will approve it as it has no impact on balance, but it just drives me crazy.

So…approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom