Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Arcana

His feet dragged heavy beneath him as he pulled himself away from the throne room. It felt as if he could barely carry his own weight; indeed, for a moment he worried that he might collapse entirely. It was not physical exhaustion that dragged him down, but the emotional toil of meeting with his father. The man had delivered crushing news and utterly obliterated any hopes Lothaire might have had for reconciliation.

It was not his father's work that had kept the old man absent in his life, but rather the Ashlan patriarch's fear of his own son. Cedric had claimed love for the boy and compared the youth to the worst their house had ever offered in a man all in one breath. Lothaire was not foolish enough to believe his father's flowered words when his real intent was worn so nakedly. The kind words he'd offered intermingled with damning condemnation elucidated the prince well on the way his father operated. The old man wanted him out of the way and leashed within the military to serve another future heir, likely a younger sibling yet to be born.

It was a grave thing to pass over a firstborn, and Lothaire felt that scorn keenly in his soul.

"What do I do now?" He whispered to himself as he strode beyond the main keep out into the empty snow-dusted courtyard. The hour was late, poking into the early morning, and a bright full moon illuminated the sleeping castle in pale white light.

The wind howled for a moment in answer to his musings, then all fell silent, even the slightest scurrying muffled by the snowfall. In his momentary isolation. Lothaire stared up at the moon shining above, muttered a prayer under his lips, and fell to his knees. Uncertain as to whether he should pay heed to his father's wishes or not, Lothaire closed his eyes and began to pray further of his goddess. "Lord, I am lost," his voice trembled as the unpleasant emotions of the day came rushing forth, "I had thought it to be providence that the priests came for me. I thought it was your will. Was I wrong? Did I misunderstand you?"

He glanced up through his fingers as clouds began to shroud the moon in a moody gray. "Why does he hate me?" Lothaire's voice was a creaking whisper as he asked the true question eating away at his heart. The moon did not speak nor did the Ashla offer any guidance aside from the vague sense of peace that followed his confession. The only response he received was the beginning of a light snowfall from the clouds that had seemingly appeared of their own accord.

Tears bit at the youth's gaze, but he did well to force them down. To let them fall would so too see him fall into despair, and only misery would follow. Instead, he drew in a deep breath, and forced his head high, nodding in quiet affirmation to himself. The cold of the snow began to seep in through his clothes as he rose to his feet, but he did not allow it to bother him. Rather he stared up at the moon through wet eyes, drowning himself in a sea of melancholy musings.

Starlin Rand Starlin Rand

Monologuing for the moon, huh?

Starlin stepped out from behind the tree he had been leaning against. He was here to visit an old friend, and had stepped outside for a smoke when he happened to overhear a voice speaking softly behind him. He’d stayed quiet until the whispering seemed to end, then made his presence known.

Are you practicing for a theater audition? Your delivery was a little too melodramatic for my tastes. Plenty of feeling, but all that emotion can garble your lines, make it harder to understand what you’re saying. Try to speak a bit clearer.

(Phone post)

It was rare for Lothaire to allow himself the vulnerability of earnest prayer in private let alone in public. In truth he'd thought himself to be utterly alone here, and the intrusion upon his pathetic display was not something considered. The prince shot to his feet as the stranger went on about monologues and delivering them properly. The youth was so mired in his own thoughts that it took him several seconds before he understand the mocking nature of the man's tone.

When it registered, the prince's misery melted away to white hot rage. "Forgive me for an earnest prayer," he snarled, his expression one of barely contained violence. The brief danger melted away as quickly as it bubbled up, his scowl weakening somewhat as his shoulders slackened.

Fury intermingled with despair and left him indecisive. "You one of the king's jesters?" He grumbled, eyes narrowed into slits as the snowfall continued to fall apathetically toward the prince's trouble. "I'm certain he'd enjoy your jokes far better than me."

Oh, you’re praying? My bad.” He glanced around at the pale white landscape. “I guess it is pretty peaceful out here, but you’re still out in public. Maybe pray inside your head from now on. That stuff’s private.

He took a final drag from his cig, embers glowing in the darkness before he put it out in the snow. What Lothaire said next made him laugh.

That’s a good one. But nah. Jokerman is just a nickname, not my profession. The name’s Starlin Rand. I'm a Jedi Knight.” He inclined his head. “You look sorta familiar, kid. Have I seen you around here before?

(Phone post)

"No, I was just talking to the moon. She's a fantastic conversationalist." Unpleasant sarcasm dripped from his words like a poison. "Prayer has greater notice when it is spoken, not mumbled in your head."

That seemed rather self-evident to the prince. His anger was still boiling, though his temper had been reigned in somewhat by the cold if not his own sense of discipline.

"Those things give you cancer you know," he grunted, eyeing the cigarette like one might stare down a suspicious animal. His gaze jumped from the tobacco to the keep beyond the courtyard, exhaustion seeking into his limbs as it had before, his anger simmering into embers.

"I've not been here before Jedi," the slightest hint of curiosity poked through Lothaire's melancholy. "I was here to meet with the Kaiser. Now that it's concluded I imagine it's my time to leave."

That she is.” Starlin grinned. “Doesn’t the Ashlan faith have a verse about how if you go into your inner room, close the door, and pray in secret, you’ll be rewarded?” he asked. “Or was that a different religion…

The comment about his smoking habit earned a gentle, unoffended wave of Starlin’s hand. “I know, I know. That’s why I don’t do it all the time. It warms me up, calms me down, and looks suave and cool.

He still wasn’t sure who the kid was or where he had seen him before—or if it was a case of mistaken identity. “Kaiser… Cedric? Or is it somebody else now? I’ve been out of the loop for a while. Haven't seen Cedric in a hot minute.” He shrugged. “Well, if you want to leave, then go. But you’re out here praying aloud with tears in your eyes, so I take it something is keeping you from going.

There was something about the stranger that made it difficult for Lothaire to maintain his anger. It was the way he spoke, his stance; he moved and muttered as a fool. A fool with, perhaps, good intentions.

"No reward is promised, but faith spoken earnestly beyond the ears of others is wholly true. It is a virtue," He explained tiredly, his expression more deflated than anything now.

"Cool," the prince echoed, eyebrows scrunching up with judgement. "Strange concept, but if that's what you're going for," Lothaire offered a light shrug. "That would be the Kaiser, yes." The youth seemed wholly displeased with discussing the topic.

"My dear father," he waved a careless hand toward the keep. "I was wondering why he'd spoken out against my claim, and he made his reasons very clear. I should have expected as much honestly." Lothaire folded his arms about his chest, "He's not been a part of my life for twenty years, there wasn't much reality in hoping he might take me as heir or offer me anything beyond apathy and a comfy position far from his sight really."

The Essonian's nose scrunched up with displeasure as he spoke, his gaze off into the snow as he seemed to be more speaking to himself than to the stranger. "He wants me to serve in his military and quietly step aside. Pretend I don't exist." The youth drew in a sharp breath. "He's a cunt."

Lothaire's eyes homed in on Starlin's cigarette. "Got another one of those?"

Starlin nodded along at first, a stupid smile on his face. But then it quickly began to fade.

Wait. This was Cedric’s son? And Cedric had just disinherited him. Eyebrows climbing ever higher in surprise, both at the revelation and the boy’s attitude toward his father, Starlin mutely offered Kaiser Jr. his packet of cigarras. “Sure,” he said. “Go ahead.

Are you sure you, uh… that being the next Kaiser is what you really want?” He shrugged. “I mean, I get the appeal. Power, money, a feeling of importance. And you’ve clearly got a sense of entitlement as Cedric’s son. But it’s also a whole lot of responsibility and duty for someone as young as you are now. Wouldn’t you rather do something else with your life?

On the other hand, that wasn’t the main issue here. It was Cedric pressuring the kid to join the military and step aside. Refusing to even acknowledge him, maybe. “I don’t wanna probe into your personal problems, but it seems to me you have more options than you think. Cedric might want you to join the military, but you’re actually free to do as you please, make your own way free of the burden of becoming Kaiser. Am I right?

Starlin Rand Starlin Rand (el phone post)

It was a question Lothaire had dared to ask himself in his private moments. Was there anything else he'd rather steer his life toward? Recognition was what he craved, and the officer corps was certainly the place to find that along with any other kind of glory that might call to him. Even still, he'd never been one to take orders particularly well, or listen to just about anyone for that matter.

He took the cigarra with a disinterested expression, fumbled about in his belt for a lighter, and muttered a curse a she found nothing of the sort. "I feel called to it. Like it my duty being denied to me because I can't measure up," Lothaire's admitted as he rolled the unlit cigarra between his teeth.

"To be denied such is an attack on my character. I'm not good enough for it," he bit down a little harder than intended, bits of the cigarra cracking between his teeth. "In his eyes, anyway."

The youth sneered and tore his gaze off toward the valleys below, a heavy sigh escaping his lips. "Maybe I'll try my hand at pimping. Lot more fun than all this."

Noticing Lothaire struggling to find a lighter, Starlin snapped his fingers, producing a small flame balanced on the tip of his thumb, which he offered to light the cig with.

Mmmm. So it’s really just a matter of pride, then,” he said. Lothaire’s alternative suggestion was so jarring, it made Starlin bark with laughter. “How good is your pimp hand? If it’s strong enough, you’ll be able to buff your dome with all the money you’ll be rolling in.

Still smiling, Starlin sighed and shook his head. “I don’t think Cedric would be impressed by his son becoming a pimp. That is, if you really do want to make your father proud and prove yourself worthy.

He scratched his chin. “Your dad trained me for a little while when I was younger. He could be a bit of a hardass—I specifically remember how salty he would get when surprised or tricked, and his competitive streak—but he was a good teacher. One of the best I’ve ever had. What I'm getting at is, he might come around with a little convincing.

(phone post) Starlin Rand Starlin Rand

Just as Lothaire began to warm to the fool, so too did he shirk from the man's half-hearted accusations. "Pride" he sounded offended, but he leaned in to light the cigarra anyway. The prince took a long deep puff, letting it sit in his lungs for a moment and focusing on the sensation to better father his thoughts. When he exhaled, his offense melted away with it.

"It's not pride, it's self-worth," he countered through a furrowed brow as the snow melted on his bald head. "It is natural for a man to want live up to the expectations of his father. I would not mark it as a matter of being overly prideful." He would concede that he was being overly emotional about the whole affair, but he was also resolute in those emotions being perfectly valid. It was his means of expressing them that carried some semblance of error. Not that he had any intention of correcting such errors.

"I imagine I'd have a designated dome buffer if I was that successful at pimpery," Lothaire mused as he took another long drag.

The youth affixed Starlin with an incredulous look, " He trained you?" His gaze darted back to the keep. "You seem a little…not uptight for his tastes."

A pause. Lothaire took another drag, watched it curl up into the snow and melt in with the clouds. "My names Lothaire."

Oh.” Starlin just couldn’t relate to having a father worth living up to. His dad had abandoned the family when Starlin was just a kid, unable to cope with his personal demons. Only recently had the old man come back into his life, and while he seemed to be trying to be a good father now, the damage had already been done. “Well, if it means that much to you, and your dad’s expectations are impossible to meet, then I don’t know how to help you. Sorry.

He chuckled at the thought of having a designated dome-buffer, and took Lothaire’s question in stride. “Cedric used to be kind of fun. I guess in his old age he got a stick up his ass, but it wasn’t always that way. Maybe being Kaiser did it to him. All the responsibility that goes into leading a nation has got to be pretty stressful.

If nothing else, Lothaire appreciated the man's honesty. Truth be told he felt better just having someone to complain about his paternal issues too; Starlin's input itself was not exactly required. That he wasn't sure how to help was similarity of little consequence.

"It's alright. Think I just needed a bit of a bitchfit, as the kids say." Lothaire mimbled as he took another long drag. "I imagine my father's stresses are great and his pleasures very few. He's always been something of a minimalist and indulgence is far from his mind I'd imagine." He knew more of the man from his writings than actual interaction, but the written word painted a decent enough picture.

"You said you're a Jedi," he muttered, changing the subject, "I've only met a handful beyond the members of the Crusade's knightly orders, and I haven't met much of them either." Lothaire's eyes narrowed as a defiant thought took form in his mind.

"Would you think yourself capable enough to pass on what you've learned?" To learn a fool's tricks might have seemed a lesson in futility to some, but there was much to be said for the capabilities of the jester.

Starlin went on smiling faintly, listening to Lothaire and enjoying the snowy ambiance. But then the kid asked if he could train him—or at least, that’s what it sounded like to Starlin.

Sure,” he said. “I had a Padawan, once…” He trailed off with a slight wince, as though the subject were painful and to be avoided. “What I mean is, I’m experienced, if that’s what you’re asking, and I enjoy teaching. It’s fun. Are you looking for someone to teach you, then?

It wasn't given as a loaded question, yet Lothaire founded to be so all the same. To agree to Starlin's assumption would be to directly disobey the orders of his father. It was tantamount to treason if one were to view his demand as an order from the Kaiser and not a father's desire. Still, if he did not know…

"I don't know," Lothaire admitted as he finished the last of his cigarra. He dropped the butt into the castle gravel and stomped out the remnants of its embers. "I think I have the potential for using the Force. There hasn't been a Grayson that hasn't." His nose scrunched up as he considered.

"My father forbade me to learn." His gaze drifted back to meet Starlin's. "Legally I think going against that would be treason, but…"

Another moment's hesitation.

"What could learning a few tricks really hurt?" Starlin's words about doing what he wishes resonated in Lothaire's mind. If he never learned the ways of the Jedi, he would never ascend the throne. This was an exercise of freedom.

"Could you?" He asked of Starlin.

Upon hearing that Lothaire wasn’t sure if he had any Force aptitude, Starlin took a step back, rested his hands on his knees, and studied the boy intensely. “... I can’t really tell either,” he admitted. “With most people, you can tell right away that they have the touch, the power, the spark, whatever you wanna call it. But with you it’s sorta… murky. Huh. Weird.

Straightening up, he blinked. “Your father—Cedric Grayson forbade you to learn Jedi ways?” He was shocked. “Why?

Apart from that, he had no qualms against training Lothaire. “You can be my Padawan, sure. I’d have to fill out some paperwork with the NJO, unless you wanted to have it be informal and clandestine…” Given he was trying to keep it a secret from Cedric, that would probably be necessary. Starlin also didn’t want to piss the old man off. That would be… bad.

The fool continued to be the fool. Lothaire's eyes widened incredulously as Starlin 'tested' his force sensitivity by adopting a very undignified pose and staring holes though the prince. The youth's lips parted in confusion and he peered out through knit brows as Starlin delivered his diagnosis.

"That's extremely reassuring," Lothaire grumbled, a little displeased with the whole affair. He supposed that was better than a solid 'no', but not by a lot.

"He thinks if I learn to master the Force bad things will happen. Like I said, he does not think I am a very good person." He stated matter of factly. "We have something of a clashing of personalities if that isn't obvious." Among many other things, but they'd delved deep enough into the dysfunction of his relationship with his father.

"Informality is paramount I think. I'd rather not incur the old man's ire anymore than I already have, but there isn't much hope for gaining my birthright if I don't know the ways of the Jedi. It would defeat the entire purpose of the monarchy."

The youth turned out toward the mountains below, his eyes narrowing as he focused on their hazy outlines through the gloom. "How do you even begin to connect with the Force anyway? I've felt a warmth during prayer but nothing tangible beyond that."

Figures.” Starlin shook his head in disapproval. “That kind of mentality will just turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy. All right, Lothaire, I’ll train you informally and in secret. Starting… now.

He cracked his knuckles, considering the boy’s question. “I’d suggest visiting a nexus, where the Force can be strongly felt. Meditate there a while, and see how you feel then.” He grinned. “I think I know just the place. It’s not far from here, either.” He gestured away from the castle. “Shall we?

To plot against his father was not something he took lightly, but then the decision was already made. No room for hesitation now. Granted, he did not know the first thing about proper Jedi training, other than the basic tenets and the idea of meditation. Anything beyond that, let alone connecting to the Force, was an enigma to the young prince.

"Nexus," Lothaire mused. "Never been to one, heard about them though. Sounded a little intimidating," worlds had been remade by such things. To say that he carried some trepidation about trying to communicate one was an understatement. Still, no one ever gained anything worth having without a bit of trial.

"Where were you thinking?" He lofted a brow and shoved his hands in his pockets. "I don't have to call you master now do I?"

Seemed a little much. He was keener on the fool.

Aw, they’re not so bad. The good ones, anyway.” Starlin’s perpetual smile turned a tad mysterious. “You’ll see for yourself soon enough.

He trudged along through the snow, expecting Lothaire to follow him down the road away from the castle.

You can if you want to. Or you can just call me Starlin.” It was funny, really—every apprentice he’d ever had had asked that question first. Eliphas had… no. He wasn’t going to compare Lothaire to Eliphas. “Actually, you can call me anything you want, so long as you don’t call me late to dinner.

He kept walking, passing through a small village and onwards up a mountain path. The snow began to fall faster, tumbling around them in the grip of a frigid wind. Yet Starlin continued up, his hands tucked into his pockets and his breath exhaling as a white mist in the cold air.

Eventually he reached a cave, its entrance partially obscured by snowdrifts. He swept away the snow with a wave of his hand and climbed inside, where it was surprisingly warm, dry, and well-lit…

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom