Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approval question for banned technology

Unfortunately, I missed the section in the rules that banned nanotechnology and created an entire character whose story relies on it.

I saw that there is a process to get permission/approval from staff to use nanotechnology. So my question is, based on the profile I have for this character, is there a possibility to do this right? Or is it so taboo that I'd be better off sending poor Dawn to the Sarlacc?

Speaking as an unaffiliated 3rd party, I don't think you'd need nanotech to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish. Some of it would be more extreme, like limbs would have to be entirely prosthetic, but otherwise nothing you've mentioned as a concept flat out requires any kind of nanotech to work. And like I always told the folks on SWTOR, remember that Star Wars is ultimately science fantasy, NOT science fiction. Waving your hand and saying "because space magic" is literally how 90% of the higher forms of tech work...

[member="Dorin Arkx"]

Thank you very much for checking! I could probably get away with just omitting the A.I. part entirely. But I don't think I can even do with simple, under-the-skin cybernetic parts that are basically splitting her mind without at least submitting something to the factory first.

I know this is Star Wars, but I just don't have it in me to space magic an explanation xD

I'm gonna have to sleep on a few fixes that I noted in the profile for now and then I'll read up more on factory submissions. Want to make sure I do everything right.

I also realized too late that this should have gone under factory discussion. So I apologize doubly to the mods and admins :(

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Dawn Moor said:
Or is it so taboo that I'd be better off sending poor Dawn to the Sarlacc?
Sarlacc. :p

But seriously. Nanotech was banned because it was abused as a miracle technology that could do anything, build anything, and overcome anything. At will, ad nauseam, in PvP and elsewhere, etc. So you would be wise to avoid it all costs and in every situation. And, like Dorin said. Star Wars offers unlimited other possibilities to craft and create a character in almost every other way.

Sleep on it. Smash it. Then build it back three times as good and you're golden! :D

[member="Jsc"]

I am in total agreement. Nanomachines are Science Fiction's Deus ex Machina of choice and is potentially dangerous in a universe with an already prevailing Force. I can only imagine how much it's been abused already.

I designed this character in mind for a particular world in Chaos that was quite specifically cyberpunk (I haven't linked to it in my profile because I wanted to check with the creator of the world to see if my character's background reasonably fit the world). With that in mind, nanomachines seemed to fit the bill. But I agree it's not very "Star Wars".

Like [member="Dorin Arkx"] mentioned, this character doesn't necessarily need NANO-machines, per se. Nor does she really need an A.I. I don't think I need to fully smash the concept. Just make sure I am not, in any way, referring NANO machines and that I keep the technology, a cybernetic layer of skin, specifically focused. A factory submission will help with that.

Thank you both for your input. You've been a big help.

[member="Dawn Moor"], welcome to Star Wars Chaos. My name is Gir Quee, and I am currently serving as the Factory Administrator.

Do you feel like you have been able to work out your story without nanotechnology? Do you have any further questions or concerns that you would still like to discuss?

Hi [member="Gir Quee"],
Thanks for responding here. Yes, I believe I can do it without specifically using nano technology. The nano part of the cybernetics isn't at all necessary.

I would still like to use a sub-skin cybernetic weave that performs medical functions such as bio-analysis, improved skin and cell repair (for people on highly radioactive planets), and potential integrations for a pacemaker. But nothing to give any sort of distinct advantage or can be abused as heavily as nanomachines.

I've been eyeing this as a template: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/137623-resistance-epidermis/?fbclid=IwAR0YV7AxnV3Iz60QJrtTJ4MKtHu_CfUDAAa9DsvhSmNs-6pz4fKAW0yCzyg

I think I managed to answer my own question and the input from the other two helped a lot. I'll work on crafting something for the Factory.

[member="Dawn Moor"], I did catch a glance of it in the pre-factory forum. From what I saw, I don't think there will be any problems, but if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom