Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Appearance and Decorum

It was all he could do to avoid chortling at the strength of her reaction.

To cover his broad smile, he took a long sip from his own drink. Still, that was more for politeness than anything else; he was hardly going to pretend like he wasn't actively, almost methodically teasing her. "Then forgive my indiscretion." There was no trace of genuine apology in his voice, only amusement. She really was delightful to tease.

"I take it no fellow Padawans - or dashing Knights - have caught your eye? No smouldering looks after a particularly intensive bout of lightsaber practice?" At this point, the teasing was rather overt; he barely expected an answer.

He could not claim to be surprised at the likelihood of an arranged marriage, from a fellow noble, but it was not something he himself had to worry about. His grandfather was liable to live for decades more with technological assistance and his mother was in front of him in the line of inheritance. It all seemed a bit antiquated to Desric.

With modern technologies, an heir could be produced at any age, with any partner.

"Suitable for you, or suitable for him?"

Cora sputtered, this time choking on her own spit.

"Desric, please!" She hadn't expected to use his first name in admonishment, but it simply came out as she struggled to maintain proper composure. At least he wasn't reviled by her childish display—in fact, he seemed to be enjoying himself. That thought only embarrassed her more, and Cora blushed intensely. "Th...that is not how these things work." Her tone was insistent, but she didn't really know.

The blonde had no problems interacting with anyone based on their gender or sex; but the mere thought of a romantic entanglement made her brain buzz with anxiety and expectations.

She gave Desric a quizzical look. "I am sure that father would choose someone...agreeable." Not that she had any idea what that looked like. "Likewise, I'd be expected to find a partner befitting of my family's station. You understand, I'd imagine?"

Desric Terassi Desric Terassi

Grinning wickedly, he finally relented - while this was very entertaining, he probably shouldn't antagonise her too much.

"Forgive me, I just had to see whether I could exacerbate your reaction." The answer was a resounding yes, it seemed.

Shrugging cheerfully, Desric took a small sip from his drink; about a third was left, at this point. "I do, though my family is not inclined to interfere in the process." Smiling wryly, he raised a well-groomed eyebrow. "Of course, there is a clear expectation that a partner be of sufficient status and merit." Emphasis on the and, naturally.

Nobility alone was insufficient; no amount of titles would make an imbecile a suitable match. Similarly, merely being above average was by no means sufficient for those of lacking status. Still, his family was not entirely inflexible.

His grandmother had been born to a farmer, of all things - only to excel in school, earn a spot in an Academy associated with nobility, and spend over half a century outmanoeuvring nobles and financially and socially ruining her rivals.

Cora pouted. "That is cruel." She insisted, taking a pointed sip of her martini. Half gone.

The blonde sighed, crossing one arm over her chest and tucking it beneath the one holding the glass. As accustomed to teasing as she'd become—some of the higher status girls often threw cruel words at her during Ukatian gatherings due to her family's agricultural holdings—Cora had yet to master her own embarrassment. At least when it came to the concept of a special someone. Fortunately, Desric did not seem innately cruel as she'd asserted earlier.

"That sounds exhausting, to find someone suitable on your own." She gestured to the room as a whole, taking a moment to note those who'd paired off. "Is that why you come to events like these? Or perhaps you're more interested in taking stock of who's who."

"Cruel?" Placing a hand on his chest, Desric gasped theatrically. "Why, I am merely showing an interest in your life."

Specifically the parts she found embarrassing - phrased to exacerbate her reaction. Details, details.

Suggestively raising an eyebrow while smirking wickedly, he delayed his verbal response just long enough to see if that was enough to get her blushing again; not that the colour was entirely gone. "More the latter, I cannot claim to be in any hurry. My family is not in a habit of marriage for political benefit, so the pressure is minimal."

Besides, he was not inclined to jump into long-term commitment without making sure there was sufficient compatibility; even an attractive genius of impeccable station would be a poor match if the chemistry was absent.

He intended to live a long time and did not wish to spend it with someone he loathed.

Cora balked. "Must you phrase your interest in such a…such an…unseemly manner??"

There went the remainder of the martini, down her throat.

"Marriage is held in high esteem on Ukatis. Perhaps our ways are more traditional than those of the larger galaxy." Modern technology was not out of place in the more urban areas of her home, but their morals were relatively old-fashioned.

"I suppose you've been allowed to choose your own path, then? Within reason, of course.”

Her fingers played with the stem of the glass, turning down a fresh drink from a nearby server with a quick turn of her hand.

A gleam in his eyes, Desric shrugged gently. "Must I? No, it is entirely by choice."

Nodding along, he was hardly surprised; aristocracy tended to entail the preservation of tradition, for better and for worse. His family was quite modern in comparison, all things considered - they did not exert power through the privilege of titles, but with the exchange of credits, whispers in the right ears, and similarly subtle means.

"Within reason." Desric smiled briefly at that. "I studied finance, but I could also have studied Law, history, perhaps even medicine. At a suitably prestigious institution, of course. My private life is quite free, though I rarely go anywhere without bodyguards." He was not inclined to complain about such protectiveness. Not after the incident at Rudrig.

Eyebrows might be raised if he started hanging with the wrong crowd, but he preferred high society.

He had no real desire to become entangled in whatever went down beneath polite society.

The faint tinge of pink still hadn't left her cheeks, and at this rate, Cora doubted that it ever would. As much as Desric delighted in teasing her, there was no undertone of malice. Not as far as she could detect, at least. He was a perfectly charming aristocrat.

A glance at the chrono on the wall and some quick mental math reminded Cora that her time here was running short. The private shuttle she'd chartered back to the temple would arrive soon.

"It sounds as though you've had your pick of options, then." She was careful to keep envy out of her tone, though something in her was surprised that she'd been jealous in the first place.

Smoothing out the luxurious fabric of her sweater, she fixed him with a polite smile. "I'm afraid that I must depart soon. However, it was lovely meeting you, Desric. Despite your penchant for making me blush, of course."

Nodding in agreement, he thought he detected the faintest hint of envy in her - but he might just be imagining things. He would have chafed under the restrictions imposed on her, but the need for autonomy was highly individual.

Some found comfort in not having to make difficult choices themselves; Globex Concierge existed for a reason.

Smiling warmly, he tilted his head in acknowledgement. "Likewise. I would promise to not tease you so should we meet again, but I am not one to make promises I cannot keep." He would not be opposed to meeting again; she was by far the most interesting person he had met during this gathering, though who could say for sure if that would happen?

The Galaxy was a vast place, after all; even aristocratic circles got quite expansive when one went interstellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom