Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private An Unlikely Reacquaintance

dromund-kaas.jpg

New Kaas City, Dromund Kaas
[Ambience]
The skies above Dromund Kaas were darkened with the blue-gray hues of rolling storm clouds. The sounds of the rain that impinged upon the many streets of New Kaas City, coupled with the constant distant rumbling of thunder was almost enough to drown out the sounds of the city entirely. Darth Avernus stepped up to the threshold of the New Kaas City Spaceport entrance, opening up his umbrella beneath the rain, sending water in thick streams off the synthetic fabric before stepping beneath it. Lighting flashed and thunder cracked in a relentless volley for several seconds before the relative calm of the rainfall continued as if oblivious to the very conflict in the skies. Avernus pulled his hood up to protect his ears from the sharp winds that their comfort. Despite the erratic and tense storms that constantly assaulted the metal walls of New Kaas City, Avernus always found a bizarre sense of calm here.

Darth Avernus approached the airspeeder he had arranged to meet him a few blocks distance from the spaceport. The door opened as he approached, and he stepped into the covered cab and closed his umbrella outside of the cab before pulling it inside. The door whizzed and hissed as it shut automatically, sealing with a low click. The
Seneschal-series factotum droid turned from the driver's seat to Avernus who had seated himself in the back. The droid spoke in a hollow yet delighted monotone. "I am pleased to serve you again, Lord Avernus. Where do you wish to go?" Avernus adjusted in his seat and sat back into a more relaxed position before responding.

"New Kaas City detainment center."

"Yes, my lord. Our estimated time of arrival is approximately twelve minutes."

Avernus tapped a button on the door and a barrier came up between himself and the droid, confining him to the privacy of the back seat. He slumped his cheek against his fist and stared out of the window of the airspeeder. The hum of the engines and the roaring drone of the rain melded together into a deep sort of white-noise from behind the viewports. He closed his eyes to relax and wait to arrive at his destination. The dark side didn't allow this, pulling a distant memory to the front of his mind in the form of a vision. The memory of fighting a Jedi and Padawan in neutral space, defeating them and then engaging the backup Jedi that responded to their distress call. A padawan escaped the fate of their master at his hands that day, and that fact felt significant in the vision. The faces and details were vague, even in the vision, his memory failed to recall every detail. Avernus had hardly given this any though since it happened, Sith kill Jedi, Jedi kill Sith, it wasn't too significant in his point of view. If he had such a vision surely it must be relevant for some reason, right? He'd remain mindful in case the dark side brought the meaning before him, as it tended to do.

The airspeed arrived at the New Kaas City detainment center, parking beneath an awning that shielded the reception area from the constant bombardment of precipitation. He stepped out of the speeder and continued through the doors of the detainment center, taking down his hood as he entered. A
Duros female quickly approached him upon his entrance, "My lord, welcome to the containment center. I assume you are here for the prisoner we spoke about?"

"Yes. Our conversation piqued my interest. I would like to meet them."

"Of course, my lord. My apologies, I wasn't aware that you were coming. We'll have her transferred to a visiting cell-"

"No, no," Avernus interrupted the warden's frantic, anxious prattling.

"Wherever she is being held is fine..."

Darth Avernus paused for a brief moment.

"We spoke of a lightsaber?"

The sliding security doors fizzled open as Darth Avernus and the warden stepped into the containment room. Two rows of rectangular cages, with walls of forcefields, lined each side of the room. The only inhabitant of the room was a Zeltron woman in the farthest rectangular forcefield cage to the left wall. The warden stepped back out of the room as Avernus headed down the row of containment cages to the one that held the Zeltron. He stood in front of her and pulled out the lightsaber the warden had told him about, inspecting it in a theatrical and condescending fashion in front of her. After a moment, a flash of green extended from his fist as the blade extended with plasmic fury. He twirled it about in a taunting fashion, treating it as if it were a toy.

"So what exactly does a Jedi seek to accomplish by asking for a Sith Lord by name in the depths of Sith space?"

Avernus had always believed the Jedi to be fools, but this was taking it to a different extreme. Something about this didn't seem right to him, even if she was a Jedi it was hard to believe she was this stupid. He was amused enough at the very mention of her from the warden that he knew he had to come see this for himself. He almost thought it a joke at a first, but the mention of a confiscated lightsaber solidified the reality of the claim. Her presence in the force didn't feel like a Jedi's, nor did it feel like a Sith's. He wanted to get to the bottom of what was going on but still couldn't fight the urge to taunt such a pitiful creature in such a pitiful circumstance.

Waiting in detainment gave a person a lot of time to think. To second guess.

Zhani folded her hands and rested her elbows on her knees, staring mostly expressionless out through the force field that kept her in the small cage. She was alone here, for the time being. New Kaas City seemed like a orderly place, cold metal architecture, clean and distant despite all the rain. Not a place that would exactly be filling the cells.

So why did she come to Dromund Kaas? That was the question. Not why was she in the detainment cell. She knew why she was there. But why did she cross so much space and come to a planet deep within Sith territory, without much in the way of credits, planning, or, frankly, common sense? Asking the whereabouts of a Sith Lord when it was obvious to anyone who had eyes that she had no business doing so? Especially one she had run from and by any measure should continue to run from.

Revenge? What an intoxicating innocence that would be. He had killed her master, a very experienced Jedi in his own right, in a matter of seconds. Seconds. And she had no illusions that she would not have been next had she not run. She hadn't been a good student. She was all too aware of that. She was decent with a lightsaber, and she had potential to be quite strong with the Force, or so they kept telling her. Meditate, seek inner peace, control your emotions...

It was like trying to breathe water. Until that day...

She snapped her head up, swiftly getting to her feet. Someone was coming. Someone familiar.

And so Zhani stood, arms crossed, doing her best to be outwardly calm while her gut twisted. It was, unmistakably, the same Sith Lord she had encountered almost a year ago, now standing in front of her toying with her lightsaber as if it was some flashy prop. Her halfbaked 'plan' had worked... now what?

She took a deep breath, thinking. No inner peace here. Anger warred with fear and a healthy dose of anxiety. In the few seconds she took to think of a plan... nothing emerged. Well then. Time to fake it until she could make it.

"Well, I assume you recognize me then. Been a while." She frowned. "I'm flattered. Not only do you afford me a personal visit but you even grant me the title of Jedi."

She paused. Why did he actually come? Almost by reflex, she reached out with both the Force and her own inborn ability to read the current of his emotions, hoping they would shed some light on it. If he was here to kill her, he could have already done it, but she wouldn't put it past a Sith to toy with their kill first. All she could feel, however, was amusement. He was calm, relaxed, not worried in the least. And why would he be.

She continued. "I've... decided to pursue other career opportunities though. Been a bit of a rough year."

The Darth paused and gave the Zeltron a disgusted look as he felt her digging around in his head. His lip curled up as he hit a switch on the lightsaber and sent it retracting back into the hilt. He did his best to close his mind off to avoid further intrusion and took a step closer to the forcefield chamber that the Zeltron was being kept inside. He looked down on her with an expression of vexation, but also one of concieted superiority.

"Don't flatter yourself in assuming I recognize you."

She didn't look familiar, and Avernus in no way made an attempt to remember every Jedi he came across. It was odd she denied the title of Jedi. She had a Jedi lightsaber and could peer into his mind with the force. She even had a very undeniable presence in the force, more than the average person would. It was a clear deception on her part, or at least it should have been. Avernus failed to detect even a trace of deception in her intentions.

"Stop playing games. I don't know you, Jedi. What do you want!?"

Frustrated and confused, Avernus' anger took hold of him. He reached his left hand out in a grasping gesture, reaching through the force and attempting to close off her airway and lift her above the ground. He bared his teeth as his anger channeled through his arm and caused all the muscles to tighten as if he was really choking someone. He threw her lightsaber aside to the floor with his right hand and took another step forward.

Last edited:
Zhani felt his mind close to her like a durasteel bulkhead door slamming shut, cutting her off from further contact. Not that she needed any force power to see the anger that followed. Ah, yes, maybe he was here to kill her after all. But why, if he didn't even recognize her? The fact that he didn't stung a bit more than she liked to acknowledge.

But not really as much as being force choked. Grimacing, she glared at him with all the spite she could muster at the moment and tried to leverage her own power to push him back, all the while trying her best to respond.
"Okay! Look! I know this is a-- aagh, a little unusual but would you believe I'm not here to take my revenge or kill you or anything?!" She paused briefly to cough and draw a wheezing breath. "I'm not with the Jedi anymore. I left. And obviously it'd t-take more than a failed padawan to kill you, much less one alone this deep in Sith Empire territory. Right? So... if you could just put me down..." She looked down pointedly at where the toes of her boots just barely scraped the floor. "...we could maybe talk a little more... easily?"

She continued to glare at him, silently wishing that she had just gone out for a drink instead of deciding to do this today.

The Sith's burst of anger peaked as he squeezed as hard as he could through the force before releasing his hold over the Zeltron altogether. He panted a few times before regaining his composure. He stared at the claimed 'failed padawan' for a long and tense moment within an ominous silence. He held his wrist and rotated it within his grip.

"Revenge? I don't even know who you are!"

The pureblood raised his voice to the Zeltron behind the forcefield. He once again failed to sense any deception from her. He knew she was empathic as well, and thus remained wary of her intention.

"What do you want?"

Zhani stumbled as she was released, but caught herself before she hit the floor. As casually as she could, she straightened up and took a deep breath, fighting the urge to rub her neck. She glanced sidelong at the Sith seething across from her, then looked away, trying to hide her trepidation under a slightly defiant facade.

"Yes, well, you've made it very clear at this point you don't know who I am. I suppose killing two Jedi and a padawan in one day is like a before-breakfast exercise to get the appetite up for you. Nothing memorable about that at all. As to your question..."

She sighed, casting her eyes up towards the ceiling to try and buy time. Being evasive obviously wasn't working. The trouble was, try as she might, she couldn't come up with something that sounded... less than improbable. Finding passage, alone with no credentials, from remote neutral space into deep Empire territory, all to ask questions in hopes of gaining audience with a Sith Lord that had killed her master. What explanation could she give?

As it turned out, a long one. "Alright, don't choke me again or anything, but I sort of told a half-truth there. When I first started on my way here... it was to kill you. Ostensibly. I was a bit angry at the time for various reasons." She held her hands up in a gesture meant to placate. "But I've had a lot of time to think on the way. I wasn't strong enough to even think about stopping you back then. I'm not strong enough now. And my feeling is, even if I trained with the Jedi for all my life, I would never be strong enough. I'm not saying their way is flawed, but..." She considered her words, hesitating. "...but maybe I am saying that, actually."

The Darth laughed loudly in response to the Zeltron's explanation. She'd come all this way in some vain attempt to kill him? How amusing. He had done her the indignity of not recognizing her, but he wasn't exactly one for remembering ever Jedi he killed, let alone each Jedi he came across. The hubris of the Jedi thinking they were so memorable and important was always laughable.

"So you've come all this way just to tell me you've had a change in view and that you think the way of the Jedi is flawed? And what else? You'd suppose I'd just take you as an apprentice or let you free and I'd sleep better at night knowing I changed someone's mind?"

Avernus laughed out loud once more. It was much stupider and much more amusing when he bothered to say it out loud.

"
So what did you think would come of this, Zeltron?"

Last edited:
Zhani placed her hands on her hips and frowned. If he didn't like the answer, why ask the question? "Hey, you kept asking what I wanted. So I told you. I'm not here to kill you anymore, just wanted to see if I could find you and I managed that. I don't particularly care how you sleep; good, bad, upside down in a casket. And what's the point of keeping me here? All I did was ask questions. Now you know my intent, so what would be the risk in letting me go, exactly? All I'm going to do here is ruin some guard's day. Out of curiosity, what do you guys do if they let a prisoner escape? Execute them or something?" She pantomimed drawing a lightsaber and striking someone in one motion, slightly cramped in the confines of the small holding area. "Might as well just send me on my way; then I'll be someone else's problem, right?" She returned to a neutral stance, spread her hands and shrugged. It really did seem reasonable to her.

At his second question, it took all her self control to keep from rolling her eyes. "Well, I didn't really foresee the detainment center, but everything else is about how I envisioned, your attitude included. I mean, the biggest thing was just surviving the encounter, really. Which... I guess I haven't cleared that hurdle yet, but I'm hopeful."

"So you just thought you could waltz around Dromund Kaas, a former Padawan, and ask for me, a Sith Lord, and that would be it? You really only intended to accomplish finding me? That seems a bit... I don't know, stupid?" His lip curled in disgust as he looked over the Zeltron from the other side of the force field. Was she really so dense, so naive, or was she just playing games with him? Avernus was once again becoming noticeably vexed. His frustration began to condense through the force and run down to his right hand. The buzzing drone of electricity coincided with the sudden jolts of lightning that arced between his thumb and fingers involuntarily as his hand twitched.

"You really think you just get to leave? Y-you really didn't think this through, did you? Is this why your master perished? Because you're so incompetent?"

The Zeltron sighed heavily. Last hurdle indeed. She held up a finger. "Okay, let me address that one first. I know you don't remember, but no, I'm pretty sure he died because you shoved a lightsaber through his chest and lightning'd him in the face in the space of four seconds. Not really any chance for any incompetence but his own to come into play, is there? Besides, I got away, didn't I?" Her own anger was bubbling up, which was sort of surprising to her. Not really great for survival, in this instance, but this... Sith Lord was very, very irritating, and for some reason she just let the anger come.

She went on, taking an unconscious step forward. "Maybe it was stupid, so what. I did what I came to do. What would you rather, that I had some kind of complicated scheme to try to force you to do something? Or, what, that I really was here to kill you? Disappointed because I'm not actually going to try my luck against you? Yeah, well, I guess you'll have to find your entertainment elsewhere. I know where to find some really amusing holovids if you're into that." She looked him up and down with a knowing sneer. "In fact I think I can deduce exactly what you'd be into. Pureblood vids are hard to find, much less male-on-male stuff, but I know of a couple titles I could recommend."

The Darth's face twitched as he shot a piercing stare straight through the Zeltron. One deep inhale preceded a low and growled exhale. "Lower the containment force field." He ordered the warden who had been sitting in on the conversation. The calm in his voice exuded such malice that the Duros would not dare question his order. She moved quickly towards the holding cell and began to tap away on the control panel. The buzzing of the cell's alarm signaled the beginning of the several second delays required to lower the field.

"Leave us," he demanded, which sent the Duros in a near-full run to the exit. The moment the delay had passed and the field dropped, Avernus threw his hand forward, sending his hatred towards the Zeltron in the form of white-hot electric fury. She hadn't been incorrect about his preferences, but to disrespect him like that was to authorize one's own suffering.

The Sith's mind might have been closed to her, but she didn't need the force to read what his intent was. The crackling of his hand and the cold command in his voice was enough. As soon as he spoke the order to lower the forcefield, she tensed slightly, but did her best to conceal it. The window would likely be small, but her thoughts snapped into laser focus. Without looking-- as even a twitch of her eyes in that direction might give her away-- she sensed the location of her discarded lightsaber. She'd noticed the delay in the raising and lowering of the forcefield when they'd brought her here, so she knew she had a few seconds to time it out precisely... but could she beat a Sith Lord at the draw?

The only way to do that would be to get a head start. She held her hands up as if to shield herself in anticipation, counting the seconds down silently... and a split second before the field dropped she reached out with the force and pulled the lightsaber hilt to her right hand. Amazingly, the timing worked out; the field dropped an instant before the hilt would have smacked into it. With more than a hint of panic she activated it, the familiar green blade extending just in time to catch the brunt of the lighting with a horrible sound of crackling plasma, the hum of the activated lightsaber, and the acrid smell of ozone and singed hair.

She stood there for a moment, visibly a bit shocked her plan had worked, with only a few small and easily ignored arcs of lightning making it past the blade. Her gaze slid up to meet the Pureblood's. She grinned, took a half-step back, and swung a quick but vicious overhead cut at him, aiming to drive him back and make some space.

Hadn't she just said she wasn't going to try her luck against him? Eh, change of plans.

As the lighting violently erupted from his right hand, he was shocked for a moment to see the viridescent blade extend to defend the Zeltron. It was in that fleeting moment between the final arc of lightning and her inevitable strike that the dark side granted him a premonition. A vision of emerald plasmatic doom arcing down from overhead. As the last arc of lighting left his fingertips he called the hilt of his saber from his belt to the palm of his left hand. It was a good thing that he was left-handed.

The purple flash of light extended from the hilt as he brought his hand up, catching the arc of the opposing strike in a visually effortless reaction. The purple blade undulated and hissed violently, the intentional instability causing the blade to quiver in contact with the other. He slowly pulled his saber away from himself, bringing both blades away from the duelists. A look of pure malice from his bright yellow sith-eyes looked directly into hers.

He'd throw the base of his palm on his right hand towards the area directly below her sternum with all the force he could muster. He'd then pull his saber away from hers, performing a quick and graceful flourish behind his back as he spun around in an almost impossibly quick fashion. Though it was fast, it maintained its grace within the chaos, the pureblood moved much more like a dancer than a warrior. The backswing of the flourish would be a precise cut toward her right side, coming upward from a low position.

Gotcha bi-- wait OW was pretty much the exact sequence of her thoughts as the Pureblood activated his own lightsaber, caught her strike, then drove his palm into her sternum before she could react. The young Zeltron stumbled back with the impact, but to her credit remained on her feet, if only barely. Sometimes the only thing she could rely on was her fortitude... but that had still hurt.

Gasping to refill now empty lungs, she turned blindly to block his followthrough strike, relying more on the force to sense where the attack would come from than vision, mostly due to the amount of buzzing stars she saw from the blow. The harsh spitting of his unstable blade colliding with hers echoed through the detention area. It was a weak defense, and she relied more on redirecting the blow than stopping it entirely. Spinning away, she tried to buy time through misdirection, assuming a basic Ataru ready stance, then feinting a cut at his midsection before committing to a higher strike aimed horizontally at the neck.

She was sweating visibly, swaying slightly on her feet. If she could just get him away from the door... maybe she could slip past. The cramped quarters were doing her no favors, and maybe there was a way to escape entirely... if only...

Another flash of light preceded by the hiss of another clash, the Zeltron managing to parry his strike even after sustaining such a blow. He met her Ataru stance with a Makashi salute. A parry went out for the feinted strike, only to flourish into a one-handed hanging guard to catch the actual strike once the feint was read. Avernus would straighten his arm and flick his wrist outward, breaking away from the saber clash.

At the apex of his clash-breaking motion, he'd rotate his wrist and flourish the blade before bringing it back down in an overhead strike. He'd attempt to read her guard and feint into an upwards strike by rotating the stroke at the elbow and bring it back upwards to make a checkmark-shaped strike. The upwards slash would aim for the position that he expected the hilt of her saber to be, in an attempt to sunder the hilt and disable the lightsaber.

Finally refilling her lungs and shaking the stars from her vision, she set her footing back into a guarded stance after recovering from the saber clash. But the Sith continued to press her, not giving her time to establish a solid defense. She saw him flourish-- how could she not?-- and in response brought her blade up horizontally to block his expected overhead strike.

What she wasn't expecting was a feint and a followthrough. She should have; hadn't she just just tried the tactic herself just seconds ago? But she had already braced herself for an overhead clash, and switching to fend of an upwards strike in time was nigh on impossible. She tried to rotate into a lower guard, but before she could as much as twitch, the purple blade of the Sith Lord's lightsaber sheared through the top third of her hilt with a crackling hiss and the now useless piece of hilt fell to the floor with a ringing clink of metal, green blade now completely extinguished.

She looked at the length of hilt she still clutched, then back at the Sith. Time seemed to stand still as she pondered her next move. He was still blocking the doorway. She had no means now to make space, no way to squeeze past without catching a lightsaber stroke for her troubles.

Well... looks like this is it. Might as well get in one last parting shot before she died.

In an instant, she snapped her arm back and with a grunt pitched the hilt at his stupid Sith face as hard as she could, aiming right between the yellow eyes.

The hilt stopped in its tracks halfway between the two of them. Darth Avernus brought his saber up, the tip only centimeters away from ending her life. He held such a position and looked the woman in the eyes, a smirk crawling across his face. He released his influence on the hilt and it fell harmlessly to the floor, having lost all forward momentum. There was a moment of silence has he just stared, having her at his mercy.

"Impressive. You lasted several seconds longer than your master did if your 'four-second' estimation holds any weight."

Avernus taunted her by tracing the side of her face with his lightsaber, singeing a few hairs in the process.

"I can feel your anger. You channeled it well, and I have no doubt it is why you lasted so long. This is the power of the dark side. You can learn to make your fear, your anger, your hate, all work for you rather than against you."

The Pureblood's head cocked slightly to the right.

"You'd like that, wouldn't you? To become powerful enough to avoid another failure, like last time we met?"

Last edited:
Zhani stood stock still, very aware that an involuntary twitch could mean the difference between life and death here. She didn't flinch when the hilt struck the floor, nor did she react to the blade of the lightsaber travelling a path near her face that was way too close for comfort. She could feel the heat from it on her skin, smell the burnt hair, and quite frankly she could not appreciate the instability at this distance.

She was, in fact, still angry, even staring down the business end of a Sith Lord's lightsaber. He was... making a lot of sense, though. When she had trained under the Jedi, they wanted her to abandon her emotions, her anger, her passions. She had, perhaps unconsciously, fought against it. From birth she had swam through a sea of emotion, like most of her people; how could she be asked to divorce herself from that?

He has shown her power. Power that worked with emotion rather than against it.

Finally, she spoke. "Yes. I..." She cleared her throat as carefully as she could, not breaking eye contact. "I want to... learn this power. And I won't fail again."

Avernus slowly rotated the blade as it traced back down and to its original position in front of her throat. A sudden hiss erupted from the hilt as the blade retracted back into it. He calmly returned his lightsaber back to his belt and looked down upon the Zeltron, pointing his face slightly upwards. His body language conveyed a strong air of superiority.

"I can feel the dark side in you. You are strong in the force, but you were never meant to be a Jedi. Lucky you."

Avernus wasn't being facetious, he truly believed she was lucky. Anyone who could escape a fate that entails a life of weakness and suppression only to ascend to the point of becoming Sith was lucky. Luck would do her no more good from here on, however. Only strength would serve her well if she possessed it.

"If you truly wish to learn, you will need a teacher. You must pledge yourself to me as your master, and declare yourself my apprentice."

There was a small pause as he looked down at the Zeltron, no longer turning his face upwards.

"Now kneel."

Zhani stared back, eyebrows knitting in a frown. Kneeling was not exactly in her repertoire, and she was still a bit heated after the altercation. But... even she wasn't stupid enough to not see that refusing would definitely not be a wise move. She wanted power, and this was the path to it, so she would need to bite her tongue and bide her time. Bit different than becoming a padawan, that was for sure. Whatever the future held for her, it was sure to be a much different path than the one she started out on.

Wordlessly, she schooled her expression into a more neutral one and knelt as she was bidden. She didn't bow her head, however, choosing to maintain eye contact instead. Perhaps a small defiance, but he hadn't told her to, had he?

Finally, after a really awkward and uncomfortable pause, she cleared her throat. "Alright, I'll be your apprentice. Uh..." She trailed off lamely. Maybe she should go more formal with it? "I, Zhani Amadine, do take..." wait not that formal whoa hold on "...Darth Avernus as master, to teach me the ways of the force."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom