Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Owner's Response - Staff Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little over a year ago, this community began because I - as a member at another Star Wars RP community - had an overly emotional response towards Staff.

I was a role-player, once upon a time. I enjoyed posting, enjoyed spending weekends spamming with my friends to get that higher post count. Had a couple of awesome moments where we took down some pirate ship in a raid. Raged at my monitor when another player wouldn't take a hit that I thought they should. I think I was on voice with my buddies at the time, yelling into the mic "OH C'MON" when we refreshed the page and saw the other player's response. Blood boiled. Drama filled the air. Angry responses were typed in the OOC thread. We made fun of the opposing team, then we made fun of each other. Man, did I want this person to take that hit.

Man, did it all seem so... small.

Which brings me to now...

I've seen a lot of responses in the Staff Critique thread such as "please stop the vicious comments", "please stop the bullying", "my old server did things differently". Even after a solution is promptly posted, from Staff - the offended continues to post as if no solution was provided. I understand this is a byproduct of wanting to be heard. Of wanting your opinion known. Of wanting things your way.

I understand we get emotional. I understand we want to be heard. But please do not lose sight that someone - a person - is losing time of their own to listen to you because they volunteered to do so. And after they get done listening to your issues, and possibly even providing you solutions - they have 5 more people lined up to listen to.

These volunteers provide patience in situations that have none. They provide impartiality when you can't. They'll even provide you protection if they can - and if you deserve it.

They do so much for this community all because I asked them if they would.

Let's try maintaining some patience and understanding ourselves. A little maturity. Try not to focus on yourself so much. Try to take care of these bullying situations yourself - whether by ignoring a person or asking them what's wrong. Try to step back and see if someone else posts your opinion before spamming a thread with the goal of getting people to agree with you.

Try being polite to one another.

I know it's a lot, for some of you, because of these emotional responses that haunted even me in my days as a role-player. But it's possible. And if everyone does it, this community'll be much better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom