Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diplomacy An Imperial Opportunity

deY8BKG.png

The Empire.

Their citizens regarded them as bastions of law and order in a chaotic galaxy.

For some in the Alliance, the notion of the Empire was a cause for fear and consternation. There was much history of mistrust between them and their neighbors.

For others, who believed the Empire was still stained with the taint of the Sith, The Empire was a nightmarish entity which must be challenged at all costs.

Quaint Notions.

For House Mecetti, 'The Empire' directly translated to two other words: "Business Opportunity."

And so, it had been Maldor's great pleasure to receive a meeting request for an important representative of The Empire: Lieutenant Colonel Nimian Totan.

The Empire, like many militaristic regimes, used military officers, ambassadors, and other representatives interchangeably. But still, it was auspicious that Maldor's contact today was from the military. It suggested that the request would be military in nature, and House Mecetti was firmly entrenched with its military industrial complex.

Maldor stood as the Colonel's arrival was announced.

Then he extended a hand as the man entered.

"Lieutenant Colonel Totan. A pleasure. Can I mix you a drink?"

He gestured to his liquor cabinet.

Maldor had found that serving important visitors with his own hand tended to engender goodwill.

Nimian Totan Nimian Totan

Maldor Mecetti Maldor Mecetti

Nimian entered the office of the senator with his nose up and energy in his step. He had been looking forward to this meeting for some time. Securing the deal with the Mecetti would make for a fine feather in Nim's proverbial cap. That was quite often the motivation behind what the officer did, for his appetite for success was nearly insatiable.

"A dry martini please sir. So kind of you to offer a drink. Alliance space is often inhospitable to those who wear the imperial uniform."

Nim would sit down opposite to the Senator's desk. With martini glass in hand he seemed pensive. On his mind were several topics, chief among them was what separated Maldor from the average alliance big shot. Ambition was the first word that came to mind, which was worrying in a way. Ambitious politicians were some of the most dangerous predators in all the galaxy.

"It's been some time since I left the borders of The Empire. How have things been going in the wider scope of the galaxy? I had heard the Galactic Alliance was currently engage in a conflict with a group of Mandalorians."

Keeping up with the goings on of the galaxy was difficult, even with the Holonet. Truthfully the intrigue came from person supplying the information. Surely a senator would know some details that weren't for the general public. Even if he didn't share anything secret, it would be a good way of starting their conversation.

Fp2qfmY.png

Anyone watching Maldor prepare the beverage might have mistaken him for a bartender.

His movements were sure, his method honed. In fact, he'd spent his entire youth with more servants than he could count, and had never needed to prepare anything for himself. He'd never worked a 'real' job. This wasn't to say he'd never done anything difficult. He'd simply never needed to work to support himself.

He'd been a Mayor. He'd been a Governor. Now, he was a Senator. Probably the youngest his family had ever produced.

But none of those things were his job.

No, his job was family. Everything he did was to enhance the family position. Expand the family power.

And that was why he'd learned to make a Chandrillan Martini with Alderaanian olives, cultivated offworld before...

Well... before an unfortunate incident with the Empire.

He mixed one for himself, as well, and brought them both to his desk before taking a seat. Maldor didn't like the taste of alcohol, but it was a social expectation, and it was hardly the most difficult one he endured every day.

"I'd be surprised if Imperial Intelligence was unaware of events in the Galactic Alliance," Maldor said, "and doubly so if they hadn't provided you a full report.

But I can share what the News-nets know: The Chancellor asked for a declaration of war after the unfortunate attack on Ryloth by the Enclave. And the Senate voted in favor. So... yes, the Galactic Alliance is now at war with some of the most formidable and well-equipped warriors in the Galaxy. It is fortunate that there are so few of them."

He paused to take a sip of his own drink. Repugnant. But he'd made it well.

"The elite nature of the Mandalorian forces, the exquisite training of their soldiers, and the high bar they have to pass to be considered worthy... these things all work against the expansion of their ranks. They simply don't have the numbers to challenge the Alliance, nor even to rapidly occupy and control any worlds they seize. The farther they expand, the thinner they become.

Their only chance to be victorious is to break the will of the Alliance quickly with a series of decisive battles."

Then he added something which might not be so widely known.

"I intend to visit the front lines. The moment the fighting starts, everyone will have an incentive to lie about the progress of the war. I want to know what is really going on."

Then Maldor asked a question of his own.

"Tell me something about the Empire, Colonel... did you really expel the Sith from your borders? People keep telling me it happened, but I can't quite make myself believe it."

Nim listened intently as he sipped at his martini. It was quite bitter, but also intensely refreshing. This was something made by a man skilled far beyond the average hobbyist mixer.

"While I have the utmost respect for my colleagues in the intelligence sector, they as slow rouse as any arm of The Empire. I find that by the time information trickles its way down from the Moffs to myself it is usually out of date. That isn't even accounting for the various holes that can form in things as the data moves along the chain, but I digress. You did not call me here to talk about the intricacies of military intelligence."

He paused for a moment to chuckle, he was rarely this chatty. Must have been something to Maldor's plying with wine strategy.

"The Sith you say? Well the short answer to that is yes. With a caveat that they are only temporarily satisfied with the peace we have. I would say we are walking on a tightrope with them."

Nimian placed his drink down and brought his hands together in serious fashion. He had no great love for the Sith or any force User for that matter. Something which he suppressed well in this new regime that the Empire found itself in. After all, one of the highest ranking Moffs was a powerful force sensitive in her own right.

"I do not that we had to cease conflict with them. Though I recognize that the battles may be too costly if we undertook open hostility with the entire Sith order. I trust the Moff Council's judgement to enter into this uneasy ceasefire."

A smirk formed on the aspiring commander's face at the idea of fighting the Sith. It would be a true battle, not one of the small skirmishes with militia forces that he'd been in. Sith warriors would be perfect targets for his forces to test their firepower on. Just so long as he didn't have to fight on the front, of course.

"There was a fear some time ago of angering the Jedi order as well. You see during the taking of the planet of Rhen Var we uncovered a Jedi temple. There were some rogue force sensitives holed up there. I'm told they were subject to the wrath of our Inquisitors. It's a wonder to me that neither side of the force has tried to take the temple."

In a way, the Colonel's words about the degradation of Intelligence matched Maldor's own concerns.

Lies and omissions corrupted information, and that corruption multiplied the farther the intelligence was forced to travel.

The only way to be absolutely sure about things was to go see it for yourself.

Then, when discussing the Sith, the Colonel revealed something remarkable: A Jedi Temple in Imperial space, unoccupied, and un-accosted by either of the two major Force factions.

Maldor did his utmost not to appear overly interested in this piece of information, despite the fact that it lit his mind ablaze with possibilities.

"It seems you've had some interesting encounters out in your corner of the galaxy. Well, I hope the Empire will ultimately prevail against the Sith. From what little I know of their philosophy, they will never be satisfied with less than complete conquest and control. Their understanding of power is basic, inelegant, and immune to lasting compromise."

He paused, considering his glass for a moment.

"Though I suppose getting a final resolution to your troubles would require quite a bit of war materiel. Perhaps more than you can produce yourselves..."

He let that hang in the air before adding, "I have privately been impressed with modern Imperial equipment.

Sophisticated.

Well-designed.

...and Expensive."

"I take the utmost pride in telling you I believe our equipment is some of the best in the galaxy," Nim said with a cocksure smile, "The only trouble with it's quality is the difficulty of producing it. War taxes supplies, and we have some trouble replacing those supplies. Something I'm sure you know about given your knowledge of the defense industry."

It was strange to the Commander for Maldor to have such an interest in the Sith conflict. It wasn't covered much outside of the Empire's borders. Their cold war was much smaller than the other conflicts around the galaxy. He hadn't expected the eyes of the Galactic Alliance to be on them so quickly. The implications of being watched by the biggest players in space were not good, to say the least. If the GA were to rally against them, the battles would be bloody and short.

"I must give you my respect Senator. You've done more research into Imperial affairs than most would do. No one can accuse you of performing at a half measure."

Whenever there were political dealings to be done, Nimian tended to lean into honeyed words. It was simple, heavy handed, but effective all the same. Most politicians enjoyed having their egos stroked, he hoped that the head of House Mecetti would be no different. A lot was riding on this deal, going forward the added manufacturing power of Obulette Shipyards would be a huge boon for the war effort.

Maldor smiled.

He was certainly not immune to praise. He had an elevated self-image, and it was always gratifying when others joined in on his personal vanity.

He lifted his glass and dipped his head in a kind of drinking salute, taking another sip of the beverage. Then he moved to the heart of the matter which had brought them together today.

"House Mecetti's Obulette Shipyard has licenses for production that date back to the rise of the Empire, around the time the Clone Wars ended. Between our arrangements with Sienar Systems and Kuat Drive Yards, we manufacture a metaphorical snapshot of that golden era.

It was a heady time. Before the Rebellion tore down the law and order that had been so meticulously established over every sector of the civilized galaxy."

He might have sounded more like an Imperial representative than a Senator of the Galactic Alliance.

"But for all its glories, the old Empire had its flaws. The Tarkin Doctrine among them. What the galaxy needed was a vast amount of ships, safeguarding a vast amount of territory. Instead, an infatuation with super-weapons caused the resources of a whole fleet to be poured into a single Super Star Destroyer. The resources of a hundred fleets into subsequent Death Star battlestations.

The belief was that the terror of a super-weapon would keep systems in line.

The reality was, it just gave the rebels one huge target to center their attention upon, and lots of free space to move about wherever the super-weapon wasn't."

He leaned forward slightly in his chair.

"House Mecetti builds equipment from before the Tarkin Doctrine. When Star Destroyers were exactly what they needed to be in order to perform a task. Our Victory class is only 900 meters in length. But it can deliver a pummeling, carry needed equipment, and be purchased for less than half the investiment of many newer, larger destroyers.

Similarly, our Tie/mg fighters are of minimalist design. But they have everything needed in a snubfighter, and nothing which is not. They are a third the cost of most modern fighters. And with the optional Ordinance Rings, they can even fulfill the duties of a bomber at marginal extra expenditure.

It seems like just the thing for a nation which is aching for equipment to replace losses during a time of war.."

The intricacies of fleet tactics were a bit beyond the scope of Nimian's training. He did have some background in starships, thankfully. Reading about the old ways of Tarkin and his massive warships was common for those aspiring to be commanders of men in the Empire.

"I'm sure seeing a Super Star Destroyer in the flesh is a humbling experience, but it cannot put out the fires of rebellion. I believe history teaches us that lesson very well. Weapons of terror tend to embolden those who fancy themselves as heroes.

I believe that a much more surgical approach is needed to quell such opposition. Decisive victories that cut the cancer out at it's source. Something which your Victory class ships could be quite effect in doing."

These Star Destroyers were impressive pieces of tech, but not just for their overwhelming firepower. They could easily perform tasks that larger ships couldn't, being effective multirole vessels. The fighters would also be a boon given the attrition rates the fleets were experiencing in some of the recent campaigns.

"I will say that I've got my eye on these snub fighters you mentioned. Recently there have been gaps forming in the fleet's air arm. I cannot say what strategies their commanders have been using, but it has lead to some costly losses. Just in the campaign on Rhen Var we lost some few bombers to enemy action. Something I think we could avoid by employing smaller, faster craft for ground support."

It was a unique position, being a ground commander trying to secure a deal with a shipyard. Though it wasn't wholly wrong to have him do the job, he did bring a unique perspective to the table. He had heard from the infantry and what they believed was needed in terms of support, that had to count for something.

"So tell me Master Mecetti, what draws you to work with the Imperial forces? Surely there are more credits to be made working with the Galactic Alliance or the Rimward Trade League. The League most especially has deep enough coffers to sate even the most ambitious of traders. Could it be you reached out to use due to more ideological concerns?"

Maldor smiled slightly.

The Commander had his number... at least to some degree.

"The Galactic Alliance has deep pockets, but they've elected to invest those pockets in the most expensive, technologically sophisticated vessels, often of much larger size than House Mecetti produces.

Well, they can afford the best money-sinks in the Galaxy... for now.

The Enclave may induce losses which challenge that philosophy."

He spent a moment in consideration.

"The Trade League is an ideal outlet for our wares. They value efficiency and cost as considerations in warfare, and have the money to purchase vast armadas."

Maldor shrugged, then, "But your observation about me is not off the mark. I work tirelessly to make the Galactic Alliance a better entity... but I suspect the days of this regime will not reach the far horizon.

There is a reason the Empire will not die, no matter how many times a dagger is driven into its heart. People crave the sort of order that only the Empire has ever managed to bring to this Galaxy.

When the day comes that the Empire has a resurgence in popularity, you will surely remember favorably those entities who dealt honorably with you."

He leaned forward a bit, almost conspiratorially.

"And as a private collector of Force Artifacts, I wonder if you might be willing to send along physical articles or intelligence about them that you may uncover during your endless struggles with the Sith."

What he tacked upon at the end was his truer reason for dealing with the Empire, but he tried to make it seem like a personal, guilty pleasure, instead. An aside, and not the main course.

"All excellent points Senator, the memory of the Empire is long indeed. As a businessman you no doubt know the importance of getting in on the ground floor. That's the exact sort of offer I intend to bring to the table. Help us now, and you will be the among the first to be in our good books."

"And as a private collector of Force Artifacts, I wonder if you might be willing to send along physical articles or intelligence about them that you may uncover during your endless struggles with the Sith."

And that, was the sound of the other shoe dropping. The commander was in no way naive enough to believe that this agreement was an offering of charity, but Sith artifacts were a hefty ask for Nimian. For now the guise of a pet project was working, and the Lieutenant Colonel was satisfied. After all, he had no need for old Force relics. So long as the Inquisitors didn't find out there should be no issue. The only worry that he had was some one like Moff Volands finding out about this little deal.

"Force Artifacts are not as easily delivered as other forms of capital. If any of them are in our possession, they would be in the hands of the Inquisition or one of the Moffs. Were I to guess Moff Volands would be a good one to ask. Regardless, I am certain some kind of arrangement can be made. Especially with how generous your offer is."

There was always an air of deceit in meetings such as these. Neither side was going to play their full hand, for fear of showing their trump card. Nimian had a lot of information that he couldn't throw around yet. Especially information about the Inquisition, secretive bastards that they were.

Maldor smiled, and touched an intercom on his desk. It seemed they had the beginnings of an accord. Time to put it in writing.

Sort of.

"Send in the preliminary agreement paperwork, please."

The droid receptionist acknowledged and closed the channel.

"This is just a preliminary agreement, setting prices of goods for sale. You can decide how many you want later.

For reasons of mutual security and privacy, the agreement will list any purchases you make as 'utility craft.' I would like to think that tensions between our nations will not increase past their current levels. But just in case they do, no one investigating these transactions can possibly object to noncombat vehicles being sold.

What actually winds up inside your shipping containers is another matter entirely."

The droid entered his office, deposited a datapad and some elegant paper and pens, and then departed again. Maldor took up the datapad and made some adjustments.

"On an unrelated note... we have recently had some trouble with pirates in the Tapani sector. They just robbed our shipyard's freighters of... well, of whatever you're planning to order.

When House Mecetti war materiel winds up in Imperial hands, it will be the regrettable result of this piracy."

He turned the pad so that his customer could see it. It included the price of such things as 'Cargo carriers' and 'Tugboats' which were clearly stand-ins for combat capital ships and starfighters.

"Make sure the terms are acceptable.

Note that there is a 1% discount to be applied for each Sith artifact that finds its way into my hands, or 5% for holocrons. They are listed here as 'Rubies' and 'Diamonds' respectively. This discount progresses to a maximum of 25% for your initial order.

This, on top of our already generous pricing structure."

His smile deepened, and it definitely had a sinister twist to it.

"Long live the Empire... and House Mecetti."

"May your house be forever fortunate Master Mecetti!"

Nimian clutched the pen in his hand, ready to sign himself over to a contract with the Senator. While there was a certain intoxicating charisma that Maldor exuded, something else existed just under the surface. Of course, this wasn't something the Commander was cognizant of, he couldn't possibly know what was going on behind his ally's smoldering golden eyes.

"You must excuse me, it feels a bit warm in here," Nimian said as he dabbed a handkerchief along his brow. "I do hope that there will be no danger for you. Surely the Galactic Alliance finding out about this is a concern? You have already built yourself such an impressive position amongst them."

Truthfully the speaking in circles was a ploy to buy time. The danger of the Alliance finding out about this was a sword which could cut them both. He was putting his bid for Moff on the line with this. Discovery could be a black mark on his political record. Damnit, there really was so much about politics he'd have to learn, and in short order. He silently cursed himself for getting cold feet at such a critical juncture, and with one quick motion signed his name on the forms.

"And that should have it Sir. I thank you greatly for your time. Were there any other matters you wished to discuss? I will be on campaign soon, so I want to make sure to leave no stone unturned between the two of us. I'm sure both of our respective conflicts will have us busy for quite some time. You with the Mandalorians, and myself with the various rebels and rabble which I'm charged with stomping out."

He was rather brave when he knew he'd be far away from actually getting shot out.

"You merely feel the warmth of our newly forged trading relationship," Maldor said, retrieving the paperwork.

"The trick to making such arrangements work is to make them with people who have aligned interests," he said of the danger in the arrangement.

"We are in alignment, and have sufficient cover. Nothing brings people together better than the mutual satisfaction of requirements."

When the Commander mentioned that he was proceeding to his own front, Maldor nodded appreciatively. "A man has to put his blood on the border," he said. It was a famous saying of House Mecetti, though this Imperial officer was unlikely to know it.

"If you find that you'd like to make adjustments to our arrangement, send me an order for agricultural droids. And if I have an opportunity for you to consider, I'll send you an invoice for spare parts."

He extended a hand to the other man, bringing their engagement to a close. "Good luck with the rabble, Commander."

But behind Maldor's eyes was masked suspicion.

Surely it wasn't rabble and rebels who were driving the Empire to increase the size of their military forces. And surely the Commander was not being called to military duty against small internal threats.

No... something was brewing in Imperial circles. Something big...

Maldor would ferret it out, eventually.

And then he'd find a way to use that knowledge to his advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom