Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Idea for Dice Use

Dice systems only work efficiently in a computer game (i.e. KOTOR). Otherwise, looking up every single dice roll that has to be made for every single thing that occurs in the game makes the game so slow. I should know. It keeps ruining every tabletop role play game I play with my friends. This forum is much better. So speaks the sloth.

Yvette Dusong said:
Can't really talk much at the moment unfortunately but I'd like to add something before having to disapear for a bit.

Trust me when I say I agree with you in general but, more exactly, what is going to stop people from fudging dies or abusing less-than-stellar system rules to accomplish this while also making it so Tefka and Co. don't need to constantly work and update an ever-expanding rule-set? Munckins and Grognards aren't an endangered species after all. That isn't a problem with the freeform system in-place within Chaos, it's a problem with the writers themselves.
The last point is probably the biggest issue. People say they aren't good writers, but I tend to disagree as almost anyone here is more than adequate for the task. They just get lazy and want instant gratification which is a western world issue, it seems like.

Just got back to computer. Holy updates batman.

[member="Jack Sparrow"]

If I came across as rude, I did not intend to, and will humbly apologize. Some like FFC. It does not make them worse writers, or any such thing. We have different preferences to what we value.

[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

Of course not, nor was that any intention. Standardization meaning popularity among other dice users. I'd like a chart, skill points, and the like to interact with others that feel that way. One person showed me a D20 system today. I do not have the original system. If I wanted to fight her, or make some rolls, then it would be good to have a reference sheet that new people who WANTED to do such a thing could visit.

[member="Werah Unon"] | [member="Sid"]

The system I presented is simpler, and does not present those problems. It can easily be shown with all you capabilities in few stats in a general way.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

Appreciate it!

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

I feel I've made some clear points, just as others have. ALTHOUGH. Side note. If anybody wants the edge of empire stuff, I've got a LOT of the source books in PDF format for you to use.

[member="Dune Rhur"]

I agree with this.

Sid said:
Dice systems only work efficiently in a computer game (i.e. KOTOR). Otherwise, looking up every single dice roll that has to be made for every single thing that occurs in the game makes the game so slow. I should know. It keeps ruining every tabletop role play game I play with my friends. This forum is much better. So speaks the sloth.
If only we could figure out a happy medium. But then, as a sloth, isn't slow the way to go?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Atin Vendet said:
If anybody wants the edge of empire stuff, I've got a LOT of the source books in PDF format for you to use.
You are a God and I love you. What is the legal'ese on sharing PDFs like this? As, I currently have a copy of the D&D 5e SRD that Wizards published, AND boy is there a lot of stuff you're not allowed to 'share'.

Given that's Tef's pretty savvy with this kind of thing, and that I don't want to breach the site rules? ...Yes. I would love it if you would PM anything that is allowed'able. (New word!) :D

Also. (I'm a terrible person with a dirty mind on a PG-13 board and social values. nevermind.) Carry on.

Sid said:
Dice systems only work efficiently in a computer game (i.e. KOTOR). Otherwise, looking up every single dice roll that has to be made for every single thing that occurs in the game makes the game so slow. I should know. It keeps ruining every tabletop role play game I play with my friends.
Then you're probably doing it wrong. Or possibly playing Exalted. Most games are designed with accessibility in mind. If you're finding your play slowed down by "every single die roll that has to be made for every single thing that occurs," chances are your DM doesn't know the rules terribly well. If he either brushes up or goes full-on dirty casual and decides to only roll the dice that he can remember, the game should move much faster.

Jay Scott Clark said:
You are a God and I love you. What is the legal'ese on sharing PDFs like this? As, I currently have a copy of the D&D 5e SRD that Wizards published, AND boy is there a lot of stuff you're not allowed to 'share'.

Given that's Tef's pretty savvy with this kind of thing, and that I don't want to breach the site rules? ...Yes. I would love it if you would PM anything that is allowed'able. (New word!) :D

Also. (I'm a terrible person with a dirty mind on a PG-13 board and social values. nevermind.) Carry on.
Skype is dunbar.tanner.a Contact me.

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

[member="Fabula Caromed"]

There are three types of enemies in Edge of the Empire. Minions, Rivals and Nemesis'. Minions are easy to roll for, but many rivals and nemesis' are a metric kark ton of info to keep tabs on and reference back to, especially since you're only likely to use them once in a blue moon and then switch over to another set of stats in the next scene. EotE uses Victory, Defeat, Advantage and Disadvantage instead of rolling dice for numbers. That means that every single roll can be inventive, but also take up much more time than a regular game. It's probably just the group I run with, but I know I've played it long enough that "not doing it right" isn't at all the problem.

Sid said:
[member="Fabula Caromed"]

There are three types of enemies in Edge of the Empire. Minions, Rivals and Nemesis'. Minions are easy to roll for, but many rivals and nemesis' are a metric kark ton of info to keep tabs on and reference back to, especially since you're only likely to use them once in a blue moon and then switch over to another set of stats in the next scene. EotE uses Victory, Defeat, Advantage and Disadvantage instead of rolling dice for numbers. That means that every single roll can be inventive, but also take up much more time than a regular game. It's probably just the group I run with, but I know I've played it long enough that "not doing it right" isn't at all the problem.
I run edge all the time. Doesn't take our group long.

Sid said:
[member="Atin Vendet"]

*sigh* Take me with you. We argue for so long.
Might or might not like my games. It's not a meat grinder, but they're not easy on people. Depends how you feel about the new canon.
Ran an all jedi game once. Let them stat people that would be at the end of the clone wars, then let them do a clone wars battle for a few months. They were given no time context, so when Order 66 hit, none of them expected it. Only one was killed, and the rest joined the rebellion, and had some hardcore adventures.
Depending, I might be able to rig something up. Roll20.net would have the grids and resources. I an get a screen view on an EOTE dice roller. [member="Sid"]

You can play whatever ya want. Give a sailboat, give some waves. Give a ship, give a storm. Give a liner, give an ice field. Every challenge is a stepping stone.

Lots of posts here, but too busy to read them all.

When I started at SWFans, we would sometimes use a coin flip. We just tried to trust each other. Heads was a hit, tails was a miss. But because your character had a 50/50 chance of taking a hit, there was a bit of godmoding implied so that the thread could continue rather than having to end after two or three lucky flips. But I haven't seen a battle like that in 15 years.

[member="Atin Vendet"], no need to apologize, mate! I didn't take anything you wrote as a slight. Just pointing out that play-by-post games are generally different than other games in that they don't typically require randomization, which is why I signed up for this one. Like I (and others) have said: For your character, it's your thing, do what you wanna do! :)

Jay Scott Clark said:
15 years?

*mad props*

#WeAreNotWorthy
I started RPing at SWFans in April 2000. I was 12 years old and an absolutely terrible writer. When they moved off of ezboard to vB in late 2001 and TGC became its own universe, I went with the Big Green. But age and experience do not make one good. I am still a mediocre writer compared to a lot of you guys. Plus with college, law school, and just real life, I took more time off than on. Then I "retired" about a year and a half ago once I started my job because I work too much to commit to RPing with anyone.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Palz"] - Got it. I see the names in your sig now. I started in 2010 on another SW board too. I don't think we've ever crossed paths.

Still. Hell of a rep at 15 years. And besides... You probably write better than a 12 year old now, right? ...Right? ...RIGHT!? :D :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom