Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermath

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"Excellent. Glad to hear I can still distract you," Siobhan smirked, looking very satisfied with herself. She gave her wife a slight smack on the rump and sauntered over to the table, pouring some wine for both of them.

There was a grin on her face when Tegaea presented their meal. "Love truly goes through the stomach," she said happily and began to dig in. Her foot might have touched Tegs' and began to massage it in the process. "Thanks for having this conversation with me - and listening," she raised her glass. "Here's to us...and a new beginning. I love you."

Tegaea Alcori

Back to Square One
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
“I’m glad we had this discussion, and that nothing burned down!” she joked. She clinked glasses with her wife. “I love you too, Sio.”

Unfortunately, the looming curtain of PG-13 started to descend, as it was impossible for a married couple to consummate their love without permanently damaging the minds of the kiddies. Fear not kiddies, you can go witness the death of hundreds in the various invasions going on in the galaxy. Family friendly fun for all!

Diatribe aside, our setting now shifts to the throne room of the Ashira’s Light where Queen Tirathana VII had a visitor….

[member="Tegaea Alcori"]

"Her Majesty, the Star Queen will receive you now," an Angelii guard told Anya's visitor. The woman's helmet entirely covered her face, and her voice was modulated by an electronic speaker.

Askari tried to suppress her fidgeting when she was led into the throne room. Upon being led into the royal presence, she kowtowed. She prostrated herself so lowly that her head touched the ground. She performed the kowtow three times while kneeling. She did not dare to look the Star Queen - the High Priestess and Viceroy of Ashira - in the eye when she finally raised her head slightly.

"Your Serene Majesty, Star Queen Tirathana VII, equal of the Paragons, Beloved of Ashira, your humble servant answers the summons from your Highness and will listen and obey your every noble command," she spoke in a very submissive, demure tone.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
There was a stunned silence. It was as though someone had just disco danced on the floor of parliament. There was a brief giggle from the watching court, hurriedly suppressed when the Queen glared in that direction.

The Queen rose from her throne. Wearing only a circlet of silver and sapphires as a mark of royalty she walked down the stairs to stand before Askari.

“Arise, my Daughter.” She offered her finger which was set with a sapphire ring for the Host Leader to kiss.

Anya turned to the court and onlookers. “Leave us.”

The crowd, obviously hoping for more theatre, left, leaving the Queen, Askari and four Angelii alone.

The Queen looked at the younger Angelii. She was not entirely sure if the younger woman was either very old fashioned or trying to play a joke. Certainly no one had addressed the Queen in that manner for decades, not since her mother had started her descent into illness and tyranny.

“You need not be so formal now we are alone, Host Leader. ‘Majesty’ will suffice,” she said kindly, laying a hand on the girl’s shoulder.

[member="Anya Venari"]

Askari looked very embarrassed when she heard a courtier giggle. Had she done something wrong? Perhaps she should have kowtowed four times. She was quite certain that this was the correct form of address.

"Thank you, Your Serene Majesty," she said, flushing strongly, when she arose. She still did not look the Star Queen in the eye, but leaned her bent head forward to kiss her sapphire ring. It was improper to stare at the Sword of the Goddess.

An expression of puzzlement crossed her features when the High Priestess of Ashira told her to be less than formal. Then the Queen touched her! It took all her discipline not to completely lose her composure at this point. "I, uh, yes, Your Serene Majesty. I...apologise. This one...I am merely overwhelmned by your noble presence," she stammered. Her face was as red as Tegaea's firemane.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
The flustered Angelii was cute in her embarrassment. Anya raised an eyebrow. “It is good to see the arts of respect maintained.”
She did not push the ‘Serene Majesty’ thing again. She didn’t want to mortify the poor woman…though she seemed to be doing a good job at that herself!

Alas there was real business to discuss.
“As you know, your cousin perished today, a punishment for her treason. We understand that with the death of your cousin you are the next legally entitled heir to the Cadalthor legacy. The circumstances of your birth were…irregular…but I will not hold that against you, despite some who would ask me to do so.”

“It comes down to you, my dear. Will you be Vaena Askari or Vaena Cadalthor? Your personal integrity and bravery, unlike much of your family, is not in doubt. I would offer you your birthright as is only fair. The position comes of course with the estates and remaining wealth of your family, but it also comes with dangers as well.”

“I will not ask you to decide now if you do not wish. Search your conscience, my Daughter. If you wish, my chaplain is present if you need spiritual guidance. I know you are a woman of faith, and that is one of the reasons I give you this choice. I know you will make the decision right for more than just you. Do as you will.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

Askari would be lying if she said she had not expected this. On first sight, it was like something out of a fairy tale: She was the forsaken daughter, who'd spent her life being kicked and scorned by her family like a stray Jester. Now her family had ruined itself and she, the bastard, the simple soldier, had been given the chance to reclaim her birthright. It was supposed to be a moment of triumph and elation. Yet she did not see it that way.

Though considered naive and old-fashioned by many, she was no fool. Eldorai politics were dirty, bloody and full of intrigue. Words such as honour and loyalty were oftentimes mere platitudes. Moreover, her family downright loathed her. It would also mean leaving her real family - the Angelii. Vaena Cadalthor - the way it rolled off her tongue did not sound right.

"Your Serene Majesty, I am...not sure what to say," she began, taking a deep breath. "I hope I do not seem ungrateful, but forgive me for saying that...it feels I am being offered a poisoned chalice. The only family I've known are the Holy Church and the Angelii. I'm a soldier...yours, the Goddess', my people's," her tone grew a bit bolder.

"I have no connection to my birth family. They are greedy, selfish and despise me for existing. I have never sought title, coin or riches. But...if this is the best way to serve...," she trailed off, "I need to seek spiritual counsel. I cannot decide this without Her guidance."

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
Anya nodded. “You can refuse, my Daughter. Your family…what remains of it…will not be disposed to like you no matter what you do. You are the only Cadalthor I would consider giving this to, and if it is a poisoned chalice to you it is also to me. Through you I know I have someone who is virtuous and pious, though I don’t doubt there will be strife. To deprive the Cadalthor of ‘their’ inheritance will cause just as many problems however.”

“However, by all means consult my Chaplain, do not feel pressured to make one choice or another.”

Appearing from a side room was a priestess. Incidentally this was the very Vespasia who had presided over the trial of Farryn. Quite how much Anya used her chaplain was unknown, perhaps just as someone to talk to.

[member="Anya Venari"]

Askari nodded. Regardless of what she did or did not do, her family would be pissed. At this point that was something she no longer cared about. One she'd yearned for their love and acceptance, before she realised she didn't want it.

"Thank you, Your Serene Majesty. I will let you know of my decision with all due haste," she bowed again, then turned her to the Chaplain, likewise giving her a respectful, though less deep bow. "Revered Mother," she said respectfully.

"Come with me, Sister in Ashira," the cleric said in a kindly tone. She belonged to that special strata of Ashiran clerics who were actually nice. So off the two went. Presumably there was a special chamber to make confession in.

When they opened the massive door to the throne room, a courtier scurried away with such haste that she tripped and fell on the marble floor. It was the same courtier who'd giggled when Askari kowtowed. The Angelii shot her a very disapproving glare.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
Sister Vespasia led Vaena to a soundproofed confessional and sat beside her.
“Speak to me, Sister in Ashira. I know of the decision her Majesty has asked of you. I will not attempt to sway your decision either way, but I will help with information and listen to whatever you need to say.”

“The choice is both basic and complex. To take this burden on you must stop leading the simpler life of discipline and duty in the Angelii and become someone with power and influence. You will have to balance the thoughts and views of those around you and make decisions for more than yourself. Both paths have their own advantages and disadvantages.”

“The Goddess grants us free will so that we may make choices that decide our fate. I have heard of your bravery and honour, and whichever you choose I know you will do so nobly.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

Inside the confessional, Askari relaxed. One imagined she went to confession a lot, being an extremely pious woman. "Revered Mother, I am a simple soldier. I have neither the education nor refinement for courtly life. Or interest in power. There are far better women out there. I've tried to do my duty, that's it. It would mean abandoning my sisters." In contrast to her relatives' excessive arrogance, perhaps she was too humble. However, as an Angelii she had been nothing exceptional, just one among many. She'd contributed, but that was it. She did not stand out.

"And I fear the life of someone with power and influence would change me for the worse in ways that lead me astray from the faith. To many who sit amongst the peerage, Her Word is just another weapon. Gold is their true goddess. There are...many changes amongst our people I disagree with." While Askari was very reverent towards the Star Queen - more the institution than the person - she was still deeply cynical about the game of thrones the nobility played.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
“One may say that is the exact person who should have the role; the one who has never hungered for it. It does sound like you have made your decision though,” Vespasia commented.

“Power invites greed and corruption, Vaena. It is a seduction like any other, be it physical or spiritual. One does not need to be corrupted, it can be resisted. Not all nobles can be tarred with the same brush. The Queen herself is personally a highly moral and incorruptible woman, and there are other examples as well.”

Vespasia sat back, waiting to see if Askari needed more advice or if she had made her decision.

[member="Anya Venari"]

Vespasia's words gave Askari pause. In a way, she had already made up her mind. But did that make it the right course? Silence descended upon the confessional for a moment or two. A pensive expression was written across her features.

"Perhaps I am being selfish. I still have an obligation to the family name...even if my relatives have fallen far from the lofty ideals they claim to represent. House Cadalthor once stood for something beyond treason and power plays. Perhaps it's my duty to redeem it," she said at last.

"And if someone else amongst my family takes the helm, they will make it their first order of business to get rid of me." There was no other way around it. Tarissa had been content with keeping her under surveillance, but otherwise ignored her after concluding her cousin was not a threat. Now she'd been put in the spotlight.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
“Sadly, I feel that is the case if you do not,” Vespasia agreed. “It will not be easy to navigate the labyrinth, but the example of one pious woman can make all the difference.”

“Do you have someone you can trust and confide in? For someone new to this game I think it is very wise to have someone you can call on. You will find all manner of people who will be seeking your favour, but make sure you adjudge all their claims rigorously and with the advice from someone reliable.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

Askari would have wanted to name Kaida...but the taciturn Seraph was so not the person for this. They were friends - or at least Askari thought so, even though it was pretty much impossible to be really close to Kaida - but she doubted the Seraph would be happy.

Actually she was certain she'd be pissed. "Priestess Eileithya, I believe. She's a compassionate, pious woman. And perhaps Countess Tarai. We know each other from the Qadiri mission." She was sceptical about Selene being a woman of the faith, but she seemed to have the best interests of the Eldorai at heart, instead of merely wanting to fill her own pockets.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
“Both good choices,” Vespasia agreed with a nod. “The Priestess and I know each other well, and the Countess is a well-balanced individual.”
How well she knew Eileithya and whether she had the same thoughts about Selene’s piety were mysteries not to be revealed though.

“Thank you, Vaena. Come with me, I will take you back to her Majesty.”

When they arrived in the throne-room there was an argument going on.
“Your Majesty, be reasonable! By the decree of Tirathana V, your grandmother, an ilachos is not permitted to be legitimised except by an official proclamation and a period of time after that before inheritance.” This speaker, a lawyer speaking for several of Vaena’s relatives who stood in the background glaring. The term ilachos was akin to the term ‘bastard’, with all that word’s insulting connotations.
The Queen looked like she was supremely irritated.
“That law was specific to that occasion, as well you know, Lady Carvan. Vaena is the most direct descendant via enatic succession. You will recall that a law was passed not five years ago removing parental discrimination in this case.”
“We shall challenge this in the courts, your Majesty. That Angelii is not suited to be the next Duchess either in temperament or intelligence.”
They stormed out, encountering Vaena Askari as she entered. Lady Carvan glared at her. “We will see you in court,” she threatened before stalking off.

Vespasia deftly tried to guide Askari away from this before the Angelii did something impulsively violent.

[member="Anya Venari"]

This writer would agree that Vaena was wholly unsuited to be duchess....however, the temperament and intelligence - or rather the lack of it - of the typical Cadalthor meant that the bar had not been set particularly high in the first place. Besides, they were a house in decay.

Askari's fists clenched in anger when she ran into Lady Carvan and several of her relatives. She recognised one of her half-sisters among them. The young woman glared at her hatefully. "I will never bow to an ilachos," she hissed and stalked off.

If looks could kill, Askari would have immolated them. But quickly Vespasia led her away. In the throne room, they encountered the Queen once more. It probably said a lot about how vexed Askari was that she did not bow.

"I see my family was here," she said, taking a deep, calmning breath. "I suppose there's no way for me around their hatred. Regardless, I've made my decision, Your Serene Majesty. I thank you for your patience. I will...accept the inheritance and all the duties that came attached with it."

There, she'd said it. She'd made the step. May Ashira be with her. "I would like those close to me to still refer to me by my old name in private." To be called Cadalthor was deeply repulsive to her.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
“You will?” Anya asked, looking surprised for a moment, and then smiling.
“That’s good to hear, thank you, Vaena. I know this is not easy for you to accept, and moreso that it may bring you difficulties. However, I think the positives for yourself and for all of us outweigh that. We will prepare a ceremony in the next week to inaugurate you.”

Surprisingly the Queen rose and approached. “What you are named in private is your choice, Vaena Askari. I too have a different name now then what I did as a child. I am Tirathana, the seventh of that name, but once I was plain Anya Venari. I will never begrudge someone using a different name. Thank you for answering my summons, and may the Goddess guide your path, my Daughter.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

"Thank you, your Serene Majesty." No, she was not going to stop calling Anya that. The Star Queen would simply have to live with it - and with Askari kowtowing a lot. There was no escape. "I may...ask you for advice a lot in the days to come, till I find my way. I shall do my best to serve the Eldorai people and the Goddess."

She composed herself. "I shall have to say goodbye to my battle sisters." There was a note of insecurity in her tone. She could imagine how her conversation with Kaida would go. Actually, she suspected it would end in a fist tight. "And I believe I need to visit the Kerrigan-Alcori estate." That was also a daunting prospect. Alcori she did not know at all, while Kerrigan intimidated her a bit.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Vaena Askari"]
A slight frown crossed Anya’s face. “Yes…you’d best do so. I would advise seeing Countess Alcori,” she said warningly. After having just killed the previous Duchess, Siobhan was unlikely to be mollified by the next incumbent, whoever they were.

“You should get yourself a secretary to handle these matters. Personal contact with other nobles is frowned upon unless they are your friends or vassals. It shows you lack means to have a capable servant. I can suggest some good ones who can be relied on, should you wish, contact my secretary,” the Queen said.

She sat on the throne, indicating the audience was over. “Go with the Goddess, Duchess,” she said in polite dismissal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom