Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Aegis Shield Transfer Array

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aegis Shield Transfer Array
Image Source: N/A
Intent: A neat way to shield other ships and act as an over all support system
Development Thread:
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/73697-new-age/
Manufacturer: ArmaTech Combat Systems
Model: Mk1
Affiliation: ArmaTech, Mandalorians
Modularity: Can Be placed on cruisers, dedicated carriers, and star destroyers, but is too large and expansive to be placed on existing models.
Production: Limited

Material: Electronics, Shield Projection Dish, Tractor Transmitters, Projection Focusing Arrays, Ion Generators, Emitter Antenna
Special Features:
  • Transfers a ships shields to cover another ship at somewhere between Standard Turbolaser Range and Long Range.
Description:
For centuries there has always been advancement in technology, however one advancement that has eluded the galaxy has been the ability for a mothership to protect her offspring with its own shield set. During the beginnings of the Yuuzhan Vong War, Lando Calrissian and his engineers came closer than anyone had previously been able to. That system made use of powerful ion generators, modified tractor transmitters, and repulsor technology to allow small craft like TIE Fighters to survive head on collisions with asteroids, and heavy fire from Yuuzhan Vong particle weapons from thousands of kilometers away. This amazing advancement was never attempted after its brief use due to the extreme cost of time and resources, the war straining these as it was. However the idea had existed much longer, and having been implemented successfully once, it was only a matter of time until someone else did.

Another aspect of technology was the SLD-26 Planetary Shield Generator. While Planetary shields had existed for millennia, the SLD-26 shows the ability to create a conical bubble extending outward from the source, rather than surrounding the source. This technology on a smaller scale was intended to assist in the progression of technology at stake.

Using similar components in a combination, such as a focus dish, ion generators, shield projector, emitter antenna, projection focusers, and tractor transmitters, the plan was to encapsulate other ships with the shields of the ship the system was installed on. This however proved, not only difficult, but nearly impossible to maneuver and coordinate effectively. Altering that plan, the system fires a condensed beam, locking on to specially modified receptors. Upon contact with one of those receptors the energy daisy chains across all other receptors on the recipient ship, creating its bubble, without restricting the movements of the receiver as the encapsulating bubble is emitted from it and thus moves with it. The condensed beam is invisible to the naked eye, but shows up on energy sensors like a bright beacon. It is also drawn to the modified receptors, which was necessary in order for the system to be used on sub-capital ships. Once one of the targets was destroyed, the shields would be reduced proportionately. Once selecting a number of targets the system has to be disabled then restarted to change the number of targets.

The benefits of the system is simple, it can provide fresh shields for a heavy damaged capital ship, capital ship grade shields to a small group of starfighters, and can act as a first line of defense for a ship meant to be a close quarters brawler, sparring its own shields in the early or late battle. When targeting numerous ships, the power of the giver's shields are split evenly between them. The range is advantageous as well, allowing the shield ship to remain out of range of Standard Turbolasers, and barely within Long Range Turbolaser Range, while protecting other vessels. The shield is spread evenly across the nodes, making uni-directional damage more potent against ships effected by this system. In short it can allow a Carrier to provide a squadron of twelve fighters with 1/12th the shields of that carrier, far superior to starfighter shields, or a cruiser the shields of a destroyer, allowing a close combat brawling vessel a first line of defense against an artillery ship.

The drawbacks are quite numerous. First, the system itself is fairly large, is not to be found on a heavily armed ship. Ships that do include the system will be lightly armed at best. Second, it must be paired with a specialized receptor node set, or it is useless, limiting the number of shields it can be used on. The shield cannot be used in combination with other active shields, as it causes a feed back that would disable both. While it is simple for the recipient to deactivate their own, without communication, they have no way of knowing how much more damage the shields they have gained can take, meaning trying to flick between them will take a moment. Additionally, the giver must siphon away the entirety of their shields or none, meaning it is vulnerable to attack while protecting other ships. Gravitic anomalies have been known to disrupt the energy beam, cutting it with strong enough gravitic changes, meaning interdiction fields (Not planetary or natural gravity wells) will have this effect. Additionally large objects between the recipient and the giver can disperse the beam between them.

Primary Source:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SLD-26_planetary_shield_generator
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Belt-Runner_I
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/73672-aegis-shield-receptor-node-system/

Netherworld

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Netherworld

[member="Draco Vereen"]

I'll be honest here, I don't like this. It's powerful and long-range, and shields are already abused in fleeting as it is.

Now, your source for this "transferred shielding" is the Belt Runner tech, which only showed up once in the whole history of SW, and was then promptly destroyed and crashed.
After 800 or so years I doubt the data would still be useful, and compounded by the fact that a lot of knowledge and skill is lost in our timeline due to the Gulag plague, 20 posts feels too little for this thing.

If you're going to be transferring SD-level shielding to starfighter squadrons, you'll have to put more work in. I'm thinking 40-50.

Additionally, the "long range turbolaser" range will have to go. It renders
Draco Vereen said:
the giver must siphon away the entirety of their shields or none, meaning it is vulnerable to attack while protecting other ships.
only marginally relevant, not to mention that a "shield beam" would likely lose cohesion or dissipate at that long a range. Please reduce this to something more reasonable; around or below the range of a standard turbolaser should be fine.

Also, another question; what happens if anything interrupts the "shield beam" physically? E.g., another ship flies through it, or an asteroid, etc.

Tag me with questions/edits.

1. Belt-Runner was able to work similarly from planetside to an asteroid belt orbiting a pair of planets. So Long Range felt appropriate. (See Vector Prime)
  2. Long Range is the only thing that renders the system relevant at all otherwise you are just gonna laugh at it and pop the shield ship. At Long Range you at least have to engage the other ships of a fleet first or send strike corvettes to deal with it. As it states the ship in question won't have many, if any capital weapons due to size constraints that is totally an option.
  3. Its going on a ship with literally no ability to disable enemy capital ships on its own.

4. Netherworld said:
    If you're going to be transferring SD-level shielding to starfighter squadrons
    As stated in the sub, each fighter would receive an equal share, which while still deadly when covering a single squadron vs 1 or 2, it would only be covering a single squadron of 12 fighters in a battle. It could be useful, but it is highly dependent on the situation.

5. Netherworld said:
    After 800 or so years I doubt the data would still be useful, and compounded by the fact that a lot of knowledge and skill is lost in our timeline due to the Gulag plague,
    Same with Every Canon Item and Tech, but those work out and get used all the time, so I don't think that is really relevant.

6. Netherworld said:
    Also, another question; what happens if anything interrupts the "shield beam" physically? E.g., another ship flies through it, or an asteroid, etc.
    It didn't in Canon, but Sure. Very large masses will be able to disrupt this beam. [Edited in]
  7. As for the Dev, I can pop up to 40 posts, but I would like to point out that the system is limited production, and can only be used on ships with a minor production node. Its extremely limited and doesn't effect an entire fleet already.
[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld

[member="Draco Vereen"]

Draco Vereen said:
Belt-Runner was able to work similarly from planetside to an asteroid belt orbiting a pair of planets. So Long Range felt appropriate. (See Vector Prime)
  • It also wasn't used offensively in fleet engagements. I get where you're coming from, but this could be abused in all sorts of ways.
  • Let's go for a compromise; give me a range between long and standard turbolaser range, and this will be good.
Also, another question; what happens if, say, the shielding is split 12-way to a fighter squadron, and one of the fighter's shields gets destroyed? Considering they are technically the "same" shield, or at least linked in some way, how would this affect the rest of the linked shielding?

Netherworld said:
It also wasn't used offensively in fleet engagements. I get where you're coming from, but this could be abused in all sorts of ways.
It was once.

Netherworld said:
Let's go for a compromise; give me a range between long and standard turbolaser range, and this will be good.
I can dig this. [Edited]

Netherworld said:
Also, another question; what happens if, say, the shielding is split 12-way to a fighter squadron, and one of the fighter's shields gets destroyed? Considering they are technically the "same" shield, or at least linked in some way, how would this affect the rest of the linked shielding?
Well since they took it down, that 1/12 of the shield would be dead. If it was they shield evened out between them, trying to focus fire to gun one down wouldn't work and that would be too rough in my opinion.

Once one of the targets was destroyed, the shields would be reduced proportionately. Once selecting a number of targets the system has to be disabled then restarted to change the number of targets.
Added this bit in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom