Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice Needed

I've been here 1yr 3mnths now and had lots of highs and a few lows along the way but always enjoyed my time here to be creative and enjoy writing new and varied characters with lots of fun and talented people.

FYI I write as:

Connor Harrison (obviously) / Asterion / Fixx Kearney / Krius Syonis / Kyle Amedis / Kail Ragnaer

But something has come to my attention via some unexpected feedback:

I know that my saying it isn't going to change a thing, who knows, it might, but you need to bolster your confidence. Think of all the coolest people you know on the board. They're confident, funny, out going. Even if you're not naturally those things, giving up on yourself and caving in only frames you as someone not worth anyone's time- and I know that you ARE. You're a good person, you're just not very approachable.

Obviously I don't see this as a bad thing to say; it's honest, and I respect privacy so names need not be mentioned because this is where the truth could hurt but also be a big help to make someone better. Saying that, it struck nerve in me. A big one. I noticed it a while ago when I brought back my character Kail Ragnar and asked if anyone wanted to write with him - no one did, and while that's sometimes the way of life, it just hit me hard that maybe I was losing touch what I thought I could bring to the site or my aura as a writer wasn't well known to many as I thought.

So, this seems to right place to pose this - if my activity has waned a little, or characters have gotten quieter, and this is a view of me as a writer, how do you feel is best to get confidence, be more approachable and be worth other peoples time to share in writing good stories and investing in characters and exciting plots.

As I say, I don't see this as a bad thing, it's a truth, and that's what this forum is for, and so as a worried writer, I'm here to ask you all how you would take this or what you may change in yourself. If this means cutting characters, then that's what will happen.

Thank you.

:)

I like Ragnar! I almost posted to write with him, but I figured you didn't want me stealing ALL your characters, expanding your circle and such ;p

I reckon you are worth peoples time now, it is just a matter of you thinking that ;)

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
1. Just write... I remember when I first got into RP I just threw a ton of open threads in and when people were recruiting for threads I always threw my name in... you'd be surprised how many times I got picked early on because the writers had never written with me... In fact the above writer is the first person I ever rp'd with... so blame me sticking to it on her :p

2. Find someone to develop a real story with... while I will RP with just about anyone, I have found that I really connect to those who are interested in crafting a story, or as my very good friend (you know who you are) and I call it, weaving a web!

3. Perceptions are hard to change once people have formed them, and that is hard to get around when people can look at your profile and know who it is behind a toon, it's hard to get that chance. Maybe you will have to really invest into one character for now, and create new ones later.

4. Exposure... on a board this size exposure is hard... you could simply be fighting an exposure battle...

Whatever the issues, I hope this helps... I have a couple of toons really active now, and if you want rp let me know...

[member="Connor Harrison"]

[member="Judah Lesan"] pretty much hit the nail right on the head. All of what he said is great advice.

That said, what I do personally is really write and develop one character, which happens to be Keira. A lot of my focus and muse as a writer goes into her, and it's great so long as it works. I focus on other characters too, but she's really my main. What I'm trying to get at is I would try and choose a character of yours that you feel you can connect with the most, and really put them out there, trying to get them as much story as possible. If that character already has a good amount of development and you want to work on another, then switch to the second character on that list, and so on. However, I would rotate through characters as well, and write more than one at a time. It doesn't have to be consistently, but getting into the head of a few at once helps to broaden your horizons as a writer, I've found, and lets you take more than one point of view into consideration.

As for your personality as a writer? Always be yourself. Cheesy, I know, but it's true. When I first got on the site I was extremely nervous to talk to anyone, and somehow I've managed to get to where I am, and I haven't changed a thing. It's really a matter of being comfortable with yourself first, which can be hard, but I know you can do it. You're a great writer and a lot of fun to talk to both ICly and OOCly, so keep up the fantastic work, as far as my thoughts go.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

How would I take this. Hmm. Since I can get paranoid I would take this as I write too much by myself and need to get out more. Sometimes we can look closed off because we get viewed as having a specific group we write with that we trust to write what we want.

All those new writers in the welcome forum take one of your characters and do a story it will help them and help you. You don't have to use every story in your characters history but you can have fun with them. Read the bio of someone send them a note to write.

You've told me how many times don't plan just write the only threads that should have a known outcome are training threads. Otherwise Heed your own advice you can do this. You're a good writer very conscientious of your writing partners. Even if you do forget to post to some of them.

:p

So in conclusion

Confidence. Write more.
Approachable - be friendly outgoing have fun
Writers will stick with you and build stories when they see you want to write with them. Oh. Have patience with the newbies they are learning.

[member="Judah Lesan"] hits it right on the nail with this one bub.

[member="Connor Harrison"], I am always up for a thread with you. Though we didn't finish our last one, I am going to be trying my absolute best to stay on here for as long as I can, and to finish as many threads as I can. So if you need a thread with anybody. Let me know bro. I have your back.

[member="Reclaimer"] [member="Serena Bouie"] [member="Keira Ticon"] [member="Judah Lesan"] [member="Chiasa Kritivaas"]

Thank you all - very good advice and input, and taken on board. I appreciate your responses.

Safe to say I haven't done any mass Invasion threads as they pretty much look daunting and I know that must be good exposure for others to know your character and style, but I just can't pull myself to do it for fear of just being rubbish at it!

I'll save new characters for now, as you say investing in current ones to establish them is the best thing and I need to have that confidence to be ME and to openly show I want to be involved with stories, other writers and plots etc.

I was even sent on an assertiveness course at my old job to learn to say no, be confident, be assured of what YOU want...probably worked for the job but I seemed to have lost it here!

Please note, this wasn't a thread covertly asking for compliments or anything :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom