Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addition to the Banned / Restricted List

Yoru Shakou

As I have submitted the world of Avidon in the Codex, I was informed that a part of the submission which had previously been approved in the submission that the newest write up was replacing, was not legal or otherwise would not be allowed.
I cite the following from the submission and the response.

Duchess Magrath said:
Donian - K class Star: With the acquisition and the utilization of Vong Engineering to alter and repair the Galaxy from its ancient wounds, the Magrath Family spent a great deal of their own wealth to acquire Vong Technology to aid in the engineering of a second star in the system. Coupled with the use of additional technology, the mass of a Gas Giant was artificially increased, with the fusion process being jump started by the careful placement and simultaneous detonation of fusion based explosives.

Valiens Nantaris said:
It is not listed in the restricted or banned items, but that's mainly because it's not come up to such a degree yet. No one has tried to make a sun yet.
However, this is not Vongforming in the traditional sense. This is creating a new star in a system, as opposed to making a planet more habitable for Vong. Now, I've not read the NJO books, but I'm pretty sure that this is not something which has canon basis. The physics of it are astonishing. There is also the problem of scale. If you make a giant star it would cause major issues in the whole system, whilst a small one would not have the necessary effect you're looking for.​
What I think is best is that you remove the new sun. There are many other ways to make planets more desirable which do not involve tech which is far more powerful and far reaching than anything we've seen yet.​
As noted in the submission (which I have agreed to change however requesting the time allowed to do so), I found myself perturbed that the information that this was in fact not legal to use, however had not been added due to it not being attempted in wide spread was rather dismaying.
I am thus suggesting that this be clarified to prevent potential writers in the future from being sprung with the surprise that a part of their submission is not legal though is not publicly stated as being so.

Uhm, didn't the board canon history mention the Yuuzhan Vong rebuilding every destroyed planet in canon?

I mean, that was at the absolute peak of Yuuzhan Vong & Galactic technology four years before the four hundred years darkness, so I'm sure that knowledge has been long-since lost, but they did build entirely new planets that previously had been vaporized, blown to pieces (Alderaan), and so on.
9rat.png

[member="Duchess Magrath"]
Since nobody has ever tried to create a new sun on SWRP, it's understandable it's not in the list. We cannot anticipate everything members can and will do.

I will be working with the Factory Admin to see what stance to take on this regarding said list, as well as looking to add into the planetary template that artificial stars are not permitted without staff approval.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

That was mainly done so that canon worlds people wanted to be on were available for further RPing. It is not the same as allowing members to create their own stars in custom systems. There it's unnecessary and is in the same league as Rakata and Celestial tech.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]
I didn't mean it was/n't allowed (I never thought of doing such or asking myself), I just meant that they didn't just terraform the surfaces of worlds is all. I don't think this really needs to be banned or restricted because such technology doesn't really exist, unless we are talking about Celestial technology.

Yoru Shakou

The problem I have is that this was not brought up until now; and considering that Vong Forming (which can be argued to a point can be on par with Celestial and Rakatan technology) was originally used as a massive reset button, should have brought up the idea that an artificial star might be created.
If nothing less, I would request / suggest that it be added as a foot note beneath Celestial Technology, or at least mentioned that Artificial Stars are non grata.
It is even more frustrating in that it had been approved once before when I had originally submitted the Avidon System to Planet Creation (though it appears that it had to be uploaded from a cache version of the page due to the great site wipe a couple years back).
[member="Valiens Nantaris"]​

Noted.

Things have changed in that time. The Codex has its own protocols now and we are not above pulling out old subs so they can be edited to fit the new vision.

Since I never suspected anyone would try and create an artificial star (or that it would be possible without Celestial or Rakata tech, though I'm not sure it is with Vongforming) it was not considered. The lists and rules are never, and can never be completely inclusive.

I would also add that nothing stopped you at any point simply writing two suns in the system. What I was protesting against is creating one, as such technology doesn't exist and/or constitutes banned existing tech.

Binary systems are perfectly valid.

Yoru Shakou

I had thought of that, however, with how Binary Star Systems act (that being that the Stars Orbit one another at the center of their common mass, it would have meant that the two Stars would be at the center of the system). This would not have been conducive to the idea in how the Inner Worlds managed to survive the Gulag Plague, and how the moons were Terraformed to be habitable as they would have been too far from the central Sun to have supported life as a habitable world beyond being balls of ice.
The system was designed around the idea of a largely agrarian society, so that the worlds, and moons were terraformed to create massive food worlds.
The Binary Star System would not have allowed that idea to come forward. It would have been 3 worlds, a few moons, a Gas Giant and a bunch of useless rocks.

Yoru Shakou

At this point however, I am going to step away from this. I feel that eventually we will end up at a point in which we will begin to repeat our stances on the subject, and it will become a loop of the same sentiment again and again.
I leave my suggestion remaining as it currently stands.

If that's how you want to be, that's fine.

Though what you think creating a new star would do, I don't know, other than to instantly create a new centre of mass and disrupt the orbits of all the planets between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom