Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Wintery Wonderland

He watched her, between dipping in the bread and stew to munch on. It certainly was warming him, and every mouthful was like nothing he'd tasted before; it was full of rich flavour and not bland at all. It was real food, nothing frozen or packed into sachets like he was used to.

As Firebrand leaned in, Kail mirrored her action.

"I have a name. Yes. We can get to that later." He tore of more bread, the final chunk.

"The Clan? Oh they are fine, very nice and welcoming and dumb. It wasn't as highly guarded as I suspected, but I don't know what IS normal. So either they are out scouting around or they're moving out elsewhere. They seemed...I dunno...edgy. Eager for information, y'know? I don't know."

His eyes skimmed over her face as he went to finish his bread, leaving some stew in the bowl.

[member="Ærin Firebrand"]

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Edgy? This caught her attention, if Gudvaer Njal is edgy then so is the King. Her eyes narrowed as she regarded Kail, much to her delight he seemed to be enjoying the fair of Midvinter, Red Beard had clearly cooked a good stew. "There is more where that came from", she said indicating the to bowl and bread.

"What kind of information was the Clan interested in?", she asked, having not moved. And the Clan is on the move, they would not leave the area, the Clan's territory is their life blood. So they are scouting. "In which direction are they scouting?", she added.

No doubt in her mind, he would be not so forthcoming until he sees the colour of her credits. His payment is not far from him, however she will wait.

He raised a hand, a slight shake, indicating that was enough for now as he drunk some of the drink. He certainly could sleep well now. Kail placed the mug down and leaned forward onto his elbows, tilting his head slightly trying to read the girl before him. Two very different people from very different worlds.

"I thought you wanted a name only. You didn't tell me I'd be your personal spy for your Valkyri."

His fingers drummed on his arms for a moment.

"What's it worth to you, all this...extra intel I risked my life for? If it's bread and stew I'm going to be very annoyed."

She would be worth more to him than any amount of credits, and she knew that. She wasn't stupid.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

"Well that would depend on what you have to say, what quality the information is", she smiled now. "By the fact you inquire of its value suggests you do have more, no I only want the name, but if you do have intel then yes I am interested".

She stood up and went to the door, her force senses tell her Red Beard was not far away, if this man decided there was better to offer, to gain him more value. Aerin could more then handle the situation, if one was to arise. She locked the door. She walked to a small cupboard on the opposite wall to the fire and opened it. Inside her means of payment for the man .. and her lightsaber.

"You have a choice", she said as she stood in front of the cupboard, to block his line of sight, she removed her lightsaber and closed the draw again, locking it. "In fact you have several .. you can either give me all the information you learn including the name of the man that killed my father, and you will be very well rewarded. You can simply leave", she added.

"You have a choice of the method of payment", she will not disclose that until the right time. However, Aerin remained standing positioned several meters away from him, she sensed a stirring in his mood that did not form to her liking. If he would try anything foolish, she was in position and would soon see his head rolling across the floor.

Smirking to himself, he watched Firebrand move to the door as she spoke, locking it. When the lock turned, Kail slowly stood up, turning to see what she was up to. Listening, he looked around but there was nothing in the room that phased him; the fire, a table, the cupboard and an oil light.

She slowly recited his choices, but he wasn't stupid. Who did she think she was?

"I have no idea how valuable what I saw is to you, but I'm not saying it's worth something you don't have. You have what I want, that's all I need."

His hand started to tease the SSX sidearm on his thigh, fingers lightly skimming the butt.

"And I warn you not to try anything or you'll be dead before you know what hit you. You and your ogre out there. Turn around please, I get jittery when I can't see faces."

Firebrand was a very apt name for one as fiery as this girl.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

"You seem so sure of yourself, Mister Ragnar.. don't be", she said as only her head turned to the side. A slight smile on her face .. she could sense his discomfort in this situation and she now knew she had the upper hand. "I know you are a clever man .. don't underestimate me or my ogre, you would disappoint me to do so".

However, now she did turn and face him. Her arms dropped to her side but in her right hand she held her saber, her finger resting lightly on the ignition button. "I think we should calm this situation and take our seats once more, the information is valuable to me, you know it. If I deem the information worth a price I will pay it. But I need to hear it first before I can estimate the value, and I want that name, so we are in a stall mate".

To show good faith, Aerin moved to the chair and sat down once more. "It's say half now and the rest after you tell me what you have".

Seeing Firebrand's face once again, and a lightsaber in hand, cooled Kail's raging emotion. Matsu wasn't here to protect him now - he wasn't all powerful, and he had to remember that. His confidence would be his downfall one of these days.

He didn't show it, but he regretted his rash thinking as she laid down her offer which, in all, made sense to a mercenary because that's all he was. He wasn't a Lord, or a Bounty Hunter or a Force warrior - he was a man trying to make a living and she was offering him a nice reward and being stupid enough to challenge it was NOT what he had learnt as a youth.

Nodding, he followed Firebrand to his own seat and placed his hands on the table. No aggressive negotiations here. She gave you a job. Now answer her.

"The man you want is Gudvaer Njal, some high ranking Lord in that Clan, I can't be sure, I don't know how you people work. I mentioned the Firebrand name, forgive me, but I had to give them something. They are scouting for those associated with your father and see all of those who follow him as a threat to expanding Njal's "empire" across Midvinter. He told me they are preparing forces to deal with the threat, but I don't know where or when. I only managed to get out with my life on the promise I delay you in any attack you launch. I may have sold them a little lie about amassing invasion forces on the planet Rhen Var."

He tapped his fingers gently.

"And another name I heard in a discussion - Auric Brunvald - was talking about Mandalorians. But that's all I picked up, I'm sorry. I don't know how much of this will help, but that's all I have. I don't demand any etra payment, what you have will suffice Firebrand."

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Aerin sat up straight in her chair. The name mentions was not a surprise to her, in fact she expected it. However the rest of the information set her mind racing. Gudvaer Njal has grander plans then she realised. Oh not that he would be wanting to dispatch the entire family .. this part of the reason for her constant movement. But it seems he is gathering allies and forces for an attempt to usurp the Throne. She stood up once more, and paced the floor thinking.

"Did you hear that Red Beard?", she said in a soft whisper. Only a second went by before a false door in the back wall opened and in step the old warrior. His face had lost it calm mask and now with furrowed brow he looked at the Merc. Auric Brunvald and Red Beard have 'history' and now the giant of a man loomed over Kail.

"What did he look like?', Red Beard asked in a low deep voice, with no set emotion. He was asking the question for further confirmation of the truth. He wanted them to be absolutely sure, as a lot now rode on this.

While Red Beard spoke, Aerin went to the draw and opened it once more. She retrieved two large bags and placed them on the table, inside the means of payment. She would give the Merc a choice.

Kail wasn't "afraid" of this Valkyri, but he respected them and their culture to an extent. He wasn't out for a fight, he wasn't imposing or fearful at all and they could crush his head and skewer him on a spike if they wished before he could get off a shot. Firebrand was full of determination and confidence as she moved. Kail watched her from his seat.

And Red Beard entered, seeming to be more of a part of this movement that Kail first thought. The hidden door was obvious now he came from it, but at no point did Kail feel threatened. He was simply the middle man in something much larger, as he usually was.

Leaning back in his chair at the question, Kail chewed his cheek from the inside a little, weighing up the options what he could bargain with. Looking up to meet Red Beard's steely gaze, Kail decided against being smart.

"Short. About 5'6. Quite burly, but not very physically imposing. Quite thin brown hair, pulled back in a ponytail and sporting a little moustache...not as impressive as yours. Wore green and silver. That's about it."

That was all he could offer on the man called Auric, and as he did his eyes moved between Red Beard and Firebrand, returing from the rear with two bags. Two choices. Two payments.

"Anything else?"

One question.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Aerin remain still. As Kail described the man, her eyes looked into Red Beard's face for his reaction. Which came swiftly. His face turned from one of no emotion to a snarl, not at Kail but the description fitted that of his enemy. Red Beard stood once more to his full height which would set the fear running through any heart. He looked down into Aerin's face now and just nodded, in the affirmative. Kail was telling the truth.

"Go send dispatches to all our allies, warn them .. prepare them for what is to come", she said the Red Beard in a softer voice. Red Beard did not wait a moment longer and left. Aerin's attention now went back to Kail across from her.

"Your information has proven correct and now for you payment. Your skill .. is most valuable and I hope that in the future I might be able to call upon them once more", she moved the leather bags forward.

"I said you had a choice. In side these bags is payment more then enough to cover the cost for your services. One contains credits the other crystals, of high value within the galaxy. Take your pick", the crystals she is referring to are focusing crystals for sabers and most valuable indeed. "After your decision, I shall double the payment. The information as well as the name, more then I expected".

Aerin stood now and moved to the fire, to allow Kail to think.

Kail looked at the two bags, keeping out of the Valkyri business, no matter how interesting it was, nor how big it seemed the information in the wider scheme of things. It sounded as if there was a power struggle on the planet and Kail was in the middle of both.

How lucrative that could prove to be.

Firebrand directed the choice to him, and he didn't flinch. But he made his choice rather quickly. His hand moved forward and patted both bags.

"I would choose the crystals. I feel they will be more useful to me than credits at present. I have n o need for anything credits can buy me." The thought of his Sith friend, Matsu, struck him on the mention of crystals. Maybe she could find use for them? Maybe she would be touched at such a gift and lead to him receiving more favours.

He nodded. "There is no need to double anything, Firebrand. I have done what was asked, nothing more."

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

"As you wish Ragnar", she said pushing forward the bag containing the focusing crystals. Inside enough to cover all his costs for the trip to Midvinter and some. "Your services will not go unforgotten, I might in the future have need of them again, if that is agreeable with you".

She stood up now, and moved back to the raging fire. Her finger nails drumming on the mantle as she rested her hand there. A deep stare into the orange hot flames as she went deep in thought.

"I have need of acquiring guns and armour, if Gudvaer is rallying allies and in negotiations with Offworlders, I fear that war is about to begin", she turned to Kail now, knowing he would not have any interest in a civil war, but he might help with acquitions of weapons.

"I have been in the wider Galaxy Rail, I have seen the technology of weapons and what they are capable of, our Valkyri weapons will not stand up to them and my people will be slaughtered, I can not allow this to happen. I know this is not your war, but I need someone to help me decide on what weapons to purchase .. at a good price".

A nod was all he gave Firebrand as the bag of crystals came over. He took them in his hands, weighing them up and feeling them move around inside. Rolling the bag between both hands, he stayed seated, watching the warrior at the fireplace. There was more, and she talked. He listened.

"You found me before, you can find me again." He would always help out for the right payment.

Firebrand spoke with a fire in her eyes talking about war; Kail knew little about war, but he knew about the tactics and weaponry needed to fight in them.

"I will help you Firebrand. I have time, I have nothing else to do or anywhere to be as yet. Your people will always come second best to what lies beyond Midvinter sadly, and if those weapons make it to your planet, then whoever holds them will turn the tide of any war your people fight in, that I guarantee, no matter how strong your aincent principals and culture."

He stood and walked to her, leaving the bag on the table. Reaching around he drew the black KX-60 rifle off his back with the strap, holding it out to her with one hand.

"Hold this. Tell me what you feel when your fingers wrap around the weapon."

She looked wary, and Red Beard looked alerted.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Aerin was no stranger to the feel of cold hard metal. She took the rifle with one hand and held it there for a moment. Her eyes not leaving Kail's. It felt light in her grip, as she turned it into a vertical position to looked it over. She had seen rifles before this, but never had held one, although she has a strong distaste for them, she knew that that would all have to change. In reality she felt nothing, and she would tell him.

"I feel nothing but the cold of the metal", she told correctly, "However, I see it also as a strong weapon and one that when used correctly is unforgiving", she deemed most weapons of the wider galaxy so.

Kail shrugged slightly and walked behind Firebrand.

"If you only feel metal, than you'll end up dead before you've pulled the trigger."

He reached around and held her arms, one hand on the rifle, lifting it up higher to line with her eye, as if aiming at a target.

"You need to feel this weapon as an extension of your body. Sounds stupid, but if you handle it with respect it will save your life. It's not the most elegant of weaponry, yes, but it's the same as your sword or bow. It is used to take a life.

Kail stepped to her side, moving her hand to close around the barrel.

"I'll help you as best I can, but you need to understand this weapon will be the most important item you'll carry when you go into battle, because if you don't look like you're in control of it and you're confident you undersand it, your enemy will see that and not hesitate to shoot you down where you stand."

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Aerin has more affinity with her sword then the saber, the sword an extension of her arm as he inferred, this she could understand. She nodded her head in recognition of this as she placed her in a correct position. He is right of course, it would be a skill she would need to learn, as much as she hated the idea of it. However, the means of the use and acquiring of such weapons is to arm her Clan members and allies against the coming fight.

She lifted the butt of the rifle higher to rest against her shoulder, feeling the weight of it and finding it's center of gravity. Aerin never misses with the bow, and she doubted with her use of the force to focus on a target .. it would translate to the rifle. She looked down the barrel, into the sight and aimed it at Kail. A smile on her face as she did so. However, she well enough not to place her finger on the trigger.

Then as quickly, she dropped the rifle barrel pointing toward the floor, as she would her bow. She regarded Kail again, and thought of another, [member="Aurelio Murtix"], she would need help at some point to train her peoples. But first thing first, they needed to go shopping.

"Will you help me find a contact and purchase weapons?, I need a educated eye to assist. If so we shall leave shortly for a place I know where we might have some luck".

Firebrand held the rifle well, but there was still that rigid frame. But Kail imagined with a bow he'd be the same. He grinned as she aimed the rifle, reaching out with his hand, leaning away from the barrel, to push it down to the floor. She had the name...no-one would really know if she offed him here and cut him up into Valkyri stew.

The offer to continue was there. Kail held up his wrist com, affixed to his left arm. No messages or contacts. Nothing from Matsu. Get out of my head, woman.

He met Firebrand's eyes and held out his hand.

"Put it there, Firebrand. I'll be happy to help you. Let's go shopping, shall we."

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Aerin reached out and took his hand and shook on the deal, with a slight smile. "Go rest up now, you had a long journey back to the capital. In the mean time I will make contact and organise a meeting. Take the stair up and you will find quarters to rest".

She left him to it, and walked back into one of the many rooms on the lower level. A small office, with some technology she had come to acquire and use, a holonet, projector and communications.

Soon she would be traveling once more.

The End.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom