Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Wintery Wonderland

2eal6cj.jpg

Midvinter, Beornskald System

Tháinbroek Village
Kail Ragnar felt rather lost without the presence of his Sith Knight Matsu Xiangu beside him. It had only been a few days since she had left him back on Tatooine after parting for business he was not ready to be involved in, which made sense. She was nearly super-natural after all, but boy was she fascinating. These thoughts were important to maintain his drive, his focus and his true calling as one who was a problem eliminator – and one that should be respected.

The way she had empowered him on Rodia had now given him a sense of direction, almost a dangerous feeling of invincibility knowing she was around. Except Matsu wasn’t with him now and he was all alone on the peculiar planet of Midvinter out in the depths of space. If there was a planet that could contradict the warmth and desolation of his home-world of Tatooine, this would be it. Well, second to Hoth of course.

Wrapped in his winter gear, all ominous white and grey with protective hood and goggles resting on his head, Kail was taking no chances. His armoured vest was under his warm jacket, the SSX pistol strapped to his thigh and KX-60 rifle over his back. From receiving word in his cell that there was a business opportunity with a person known as ‘Firebrand’ on the planet that was home world to the mysterious Valkryi, Kail jumped at the chance, his new assertiveness making sure he took the lead to the village of Tháinbroek himself. It had been a long and restless journey by charter, but it gave him plenty of time to reflect on his current status, and on Matsu.

It surprised him how…ancient these people seemed to be. They were wrapped in what looked like warm animal hide and earthy colours, but he couldn’t read their standing with culture and technology. Were they really so backwards in life, or simply deceptive to those who didn’t know them, like Kail. Large wooden huts, taverns and sprawling buildings fashioned from very basic materials surrounded him and it was rather refreshing to be around a place as cool, crisp and natural as this.

Well, he was in the right place and from his wrist com he had the right time. He was just waiting for this ‘Firebrand’, and expected nothing more than one of the hulking, heaving brutes he had passed from walking through the village.

[member="Ærin Firebrand"]

Tháinbroek, the capital. It has been a long time since Aerin rode into this place. Her black stallion, BlackWing flicked up his tail and they entered the outskirts of the city. A slow plod took them through the market and trading quarters, only a few people in the streets would turn to look at the rider. Not much to see of her really, as she wore her grey heavy fur, hood over her head. The only give away of who or what she might be are the weapons strapped to the saddle. Her sword, shield .. bow and quiver over her shoulder.

Looking up into the skies the sun dipping below the zenith, Aerin gently encourage BlackWing into a canter. She is late. Passing the markets and through the narrower streets to the Inn. The Stags Head. Not much to this place to indicate its nature, save for a swinging sign about the door with a picture of the Stag. Aerin knew it well. BlackWing now tethered to the rail outside, Aerin dismounted and placed her sword around her waist. She hoped the Offworlder would find the place, as all this meeting was to benefit her and friends. At least she hoped so.

Pushing open the wooden door to the Inn, Aerin immediately went to the hearth to warm, the ride in cold enough the freeze any brut.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

The stallion - when was the last time he actually saw someone riding one of those? - caught his eye. Cantering through the village, he followed the rider across to a large tavern as she dismounted and walked inside.

He scoffed to himself and shook his head - swords? Stallions? There was no blaster in sight, and straight away he started to feel he could teach these brutes a thing or two. However, as he scanned his head up and down the building, it was like a finger pointed him along to the door. The Stags Head.

That was the place. Feeling something of a real outsider to these people, he pulled back the hood of his jacket and slipped the goggles off with his hand and walked inside through the wooden door, heavier than expected.

The tavern certainly had a little more life to it than the cold outside, and a few patrons were dotted around, chatting, talking, comparing blades. Nothing out of the ordinary from a cantina back on Tatooine, or Rodia even, but there was a feeling of unity here he hadn't felt before. He didn't feel like he was going to get knifed in the back or approached by a drunk female out for a quick thrill. Here, it seemed they were all part of one big clan. A cozy fire crackled against the wall, warming up the rider from outside, the one with the sword.

Rubbing his jaw for a moment to think, he span left and right to get a quick feeling of his surroundings and walked with confidence to the short bar, leaning forward to get the attention of either the barman or those drinking.

"Excuse me - I'm looking for Firebrand?"

He chuckled. Kail was truly out of his depth.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

The Inn Keep, stood up from behind the bar, a towering fellow reaching the height of over seven foot tall. Big thick arms and gnarled hands from heaving barrels of mead from the cellar to the bar. He too is an old warrior, seen many a campaign with clashes of Clans ... He gave the Offworders a long look. But he did not have the chance to reply.

Aerin hearing the strangers voice turned her hooded head toward him. It could only be the contact, decked out in all manner of weapons and armour. She knew of blasters and rifle although never fired one, she did not consider them honourable weapons. But that was by the by.

"You found her", Aerin said as she approached. Her height not as grand as the Keeps but still impressive enough. "Two meads if you will, Red Beard", she ordered and the Keep relaxed somewhat.

"I take it you drink?", she asked the contact.

Kail's eyes followed the hulking brute up as he stood, his hand moving quickly to the edge of the bar in preparation to push away and get out of arms reach. However, a voice behind him caught them both by surprise. The rider; a girl.

Hooded and with a very defined face, very plain and pretty, the girl...Firebrand?...defused the situation with the offer of drinks and polite conversation. Kail relaxed his hands. She was dressed in furs, and looked rather strong for a girl. A quick glance over her showed she obviously could hold her own, stood with confidence and kitted out with what could only be called...primitive weapons? No match for a good blaster at your side.

And what the hell was mead? And 'Red Beard'? He didn't look like a pirate.

"Er...yeah, thanks. I think." A small grimace crossed his face. "Mead?"

He was taken aback by the surrealism of this place, that was for sure.

"So you're Firebrand. You're not what I expected. Nor is this place to be honest."

The mead was place beside him.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Her head lifted and gave a snap nod to Red Beard. This, a message to the giant of a man to clear the Inn.

"Mead is a brewed drink, strong", she said as Red Beard asked the few patrons to leave. She could hear the protests, but none ever argued the point beyond this with the old warrior. As soon as the Inn was emptied Red Beard locked the wooden door and disappeared out the back. Not before giving Aerin one final look, wanting reassurance.

She indicated she would be fine, knowing he would not be far from the closed door, just in case. Red Beard, named for his ... red beard, is a member of Clan Sabina, Aerin's Clan, and was a valued and loyal friend of her father's. His loyality, remained to the Strongarm's after the Chieftains untimely death.

As for the Stag's Head? that now came under the ownership of the red headed girl sitting opposite him. The Inn, in the past had been her quarters whenever Aerin had visited the capital. With her new found means of fortune, she purchased the Inn. This purchase is the start of a plan, as time will want to pass, Aerin will continue to acquire more property on Midvinter, mainly assets in the capital coupled with lands without.

Now to business... "It is my understanding that you offer .. certain skills .. for payment, before I proceed, is this correct?".

Leaning on his elbows, looking at the drink, Kail didn't take much notice to the organised patrons being hoarded out of the inn. Only when a few scuffles and mumbles became louder, he turned his head to see the place now empty, mere moments before when it was a place of social warmth.

The fire crackled and spat as it burnt on the logs, and the wooden lock came down on the door as the man known as Red Beard left for the other side. An eerie silence followed until she spoke again. There was an accent to Firebrand, but he would be hard pressed to place it, as it was an accent he'd never heard before.

"You heard right. I've been on terrain colder than Midvinter and hotter than Tatooine and there has been nothing to trace me from the planets. You want something doing right and without hassle? I'm your man."

He turned on his elbow, leaning on the bar and looking at the girl.

"You could say I help people with problems. Sort of a problem eliminator. So. You called me here, and here I am. What do you need? Problems with your hunting skills?"

A smug smile formed on his lips.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Aerin just sat looking at the self confident man. Which pleased her, not a hint of doubt in his abilities at least through his words. She sensed no lies, at this point, something she looks for when dealing with people she knows little of. Offworlders had taught her not to trust, the innocent girl gone with experience within the galaxy. She only trusts but one .. her beloved [member="Aurelio Murtix"].

She grinned in reply to the man, "Kail Ragnar isn't it? .. my hunting skills are just fine. What I need is ... to remove myself from the situation".

Aerin stood and walked behind the bar, she picked up the tankard of mead placed in on the counter. "Drink up, don't let good mead go to waste", she poured more, assuming most men have the same appetite as those of Valkyri.

"I need you to go and find a name, this name will reveal my father's killer. For I believe he was murdered". She would not go into the politics of this, but she suspected the current King .. her biological father as the man that will be named. At least, possibly his henchman.

"If you prove useful, I have more need of you, if you can provide it of course. I need contacts .. in order to acquire, .. those", she nodded toward his weapons.

The sound of his own name caught him a little off guard - how did she know his name? Well, it was a sprawling galaxy out there and he wasn't going to ask a question which would probably lead to an obvious answer. Keep up appearances.

Firebrand spoke plainly, and all he could do was shake his head a little at her wishes. Remove herself?

He turned, eyes darting around trying to answer questions in his own head, and took the tankard in his hand and brought it to his lips to take a sip. Now, that was a warm and spicy drink! Eyebrows raised a little in surprise of the powerful beverage, Kail wasn't one to refuse such a free drink, and so took another generous mouthful as she spoke.

He caught her eyes on his sidearm, and he smacked his lips and set down the drink. That left a nice taste in his mouth.

"Mm. Nice. Now, anyway - what do you mean remove yourself? You in trouble?"

He rubbed his stubbled jaw in thought.

"Your father was iced and you want his killer brought to you, or just a name? Point me in the direction and you'll have it. No problem, Firebrand."

Kail tapped his SSX in the holster.

"And I'll even let you fire off a few rounds when I get back to show you I keep my word if you make it worth my while."

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Leaning back in the chair, Aerin removed her hood. "I need to keep my name out of it, that is what I mean by remove myself.. I don't want this to be traced back to me". She raised her eye brow. "I simply want the man's name, nothing more at this stage", it was more for evidence for her theory. After all this was noble political maneuvering it is more prudent to gather as much information as possible before one sets a trap. "You will be well compensated for your time".

"You will need to travel south, and then to the west through the pass, go to a village called The Giblings .. it is a marsh land, there you will find Clan Firu .. I believe the man that killed my father will be there".

She looked at the guns once more, and smirked at his comment, "I have no desire to fire those weapons, I want to buy them, .. I need a contact to be able to do so".

Kail was surprised to see one who looked as pretty as Firebrand amongst a band of brutes that seemed to favour masculinity over anything else. Her blue eyes as cold as the ice outside but the warmth of her dark hair and face gave her a glow that simply made him smile.

"I understand, Firebrand. You won't even exist once I leave this inn."

He stood and wiped the traces of mead from his chin. He'd have to remember that for back on Tatooine. Wow, never did that planet feel like a lifetime away here on this snowball.

"When I return I will inform old beardy that I wish to see you and await your arrival, and I trust you can be here in good time? May I ask your fathers name. Once I have that, I will leave for Giblings."

The fire crackled behind the girl, casting an almost hellish glow behind her against the wall. Was that a sign...? Don't be stupid, Kail.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

"My father's name was Radford Strongarm, Chieftain", she said in an even tone. "But tell me Kail, how do you plan to infiltrate the village and gain trust of the Clan enough to give you the name?", she was curious now as Offworlders are not trusted by most of Midvinter. Viewed as suspicious and if he was to wander into that Clan as is, well. She smiled, giving him the benefit of the doubt. She would not allow him to go without knowledge of the clan.

"You can inform Red Beard of your return, I will be . . near by".

As he fixed his grey gloves onto his hands tightly, enabling him to have a good grip in such cold conditions as this, like a thick second skin, he looked over to Fireband and took note of the names...but then she asked the question he was hoping she wouldn't.

"There's no way a clan of this world will allow one like me to get in their unit for any reason, I am sure of that."

Kail zipped up his jacket, stopping just under his bare neck.

"One like me walking in there asking about your father will result in nothing but bloodshed or hopefully just a dead-end and a beating on my part."

Pulling the strap tight on his rifle, it nuzzled against his back firmly.

"It's times like this you need to lead the charge and get in without being seen. In. Out. Simple. Don't worry, I'll find a name for you but how? That's something you don't need to know."

Kail nodded at her.

"Ok, Firebrand? You look cute when you're worried, I can see it in your cheekbones."

And there was that cocky, over-confident smile again. Matsu wouldn't be happy. His ego was rising again.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

It was something she did not need to know, in fact she did not desire the information, she was just testing him. "I have been in the wider galaxy, experienced much and seen much. The strength of the Valkyri male far surpasses yours, even I have the strength of four or five of your men" and that was without the empowerment of the force to strengthen her more, " .. if you do draw attention to yourself, if you are 'found out', they will deal with you. Just a warning".

She stood up and walked to the fire and looked into the flames. She smiled at his over confidence in his comment about her being cute, "I am not worried Ragnar, if you fail I will simply send another". She turned back to look the man in the eyes, her stare fixed and determined as if reading him. Aerin is not one to be trifled with.

Her words stung, and immediately he felt that little niggle of darkness eating away at him. A man was just a man, and he could be stopped with a well placed blaster bolt to the head or chest. Who was she to dictate his strength?

He was a mercenary - a man operating to take the life of another and to stalk, track and take down a target whoever they were. He had learnt lessons about under-estimating his targets, and recently was more empowered to take on any foe with the support he had from her...the Sith.

Shaking his head, he scoffed as she turned away. It was then she really insulted him with that remark about finding another. There WAS no other better than Kail Ragnar. Sure others hid behind masks with devastating weapons and gadgets, but when it came down to being loyal to a cause, working with his calculating mind to take down a target, he was the best. She'd do well to know that.

Kail stepped forward and jabbed a finger in her right shoulder.

"Listen you relic. I've travelled from one side of this galaxy to another and seen things you wouldn't believe in your prehistoric world of swords and stallions. You want this job done? Then don't under-estimate my skill, alright? Or you can go find this name yourself if you're so tough."

The merc looked her up and down, his nasty streak taking over without him thinking.

"I'd like to see YOU cope out there without your brutes protecting you, Firebrand."

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Within the breast, she felt the blood of the warrior rising. His words insulting to her and her people and she stood to her fullest in front of him. Her eyes penetrating his, she held no expression on her face. Her mind raced with the idea of throwing him to the ground or the wall, it would not take much for her to do so. Her Sith saber clipped to her belt would soon show him exactly how she 'coped'.

But there is more to this girl, then he knows. A warrior she is, but she is also of nobility. Aerin remembered the events on Hoth, she had lost her temper with Aurelio, for similar reasons and to this day she regrets it. She will not give in to that 'nature' now. Instead she cooled her temper, and her countenance changed she will not lower to this level and debase her station. Besides, let them think her weak, this would only give her the advantage.

"I cope well enough", she said in a lower voice. "I require this information, go and get it for me and when you return .. you will receive your payment". She turned away from the man now, and back to the fire.

He bit his tongue at her resilience. As she turned her back, Kail snapped up his hood, making sure the goggles were in place on his head. There was nothing except the roar of the fire and some shouts from outside. He was in charge here, not her, and she'd do well to remember that. Still, he had a job to do and said not a word as he turned and walked to the main door, pulling it open to let in a blast of crisp, cool air. He slammed it shut behind him.

-----

The Giblings
SW of Tháinbroek
2hrs later

The large stallions carrying patrols sauntered around the exterior the village, standing out between the tall trees covered with frost and snow.

Crouching low with his equipment tight against his body, his camouflage working well with the elements, four well placed shots from Kail's KX-60 dropped the patrols and their mounts.

He moved around the perimeter of the village.

Sticking low and moving fast, he let some patrols simply pass him by as he stayed hidden; the less trace of his presence the better.

And with his advances to the village, Kail was able to wait for the discovery of the fallen patrols before more riders were dispatched; all the while he stuck to the South wall after he left his handy-work to the North.

A handful fell to his weaponry, many not seeing the attack. With only one choice to acquire a name, he surrendered his rifle to a hulking brute, playing more of a naïve victim that save mercenary, and demanded to see the Clan leader, with vital information brought from the far reaches of the galaxy pertaining to one Radford Strongarm.

350ml5h.jpg

One man of high esteem, a noble on appearance, was willing to listen to Kail, and he wasn’t fazed by his fabricated story of an invasion force following the mercenary to wipe out the Clan. But by dropping in the name Firebrand and offering himself as one whom they can trust to lead the “invasion” away who wish to capture the man responsible for killing Strongarm, the noble slipped up by only a few poorly placed “I”s and his own name to give Kail the result he was looking for. Gudvær Njal.

It would be 2 days later when Gudvær allowed Kail to leave, minus any ammunition for his weaponry which he kept, and turn away the “invasion” force. He give him the location of Firebrand – the planet of Rhen Var. Far enough away in an environment similar to Midvinter where the “invasion army” was forming and hopefully enough to keep them busy.

Leaving with a scout to escort him to the Spaceport and away from the planet, Kail swiftly made short work of the Valkyri with a faux fall and a sharp rock to the head. Mounting the stallion, Kail returned to Tháinbroek, sore, cold and hungry…

-----
Tháinbroek Village
NE of Giblings
3 days later

Kail sat hunched over at a table in the side of the Inn, rubbing his hands, old Red Beard notified of his return. He just had to wait for Firebrand, and she hoped it wouldn’t be long because he really needed another drink and some food, and he doubted his credits would get him anything in his backwards village.

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Leather boots, thudded down the wooden stair case. Aerin had been informed of Kail's returned and prepared a room out the back for them to speak. Her face etched in a hard form, as she hoped she was about the learn the name of her father's killer. No fur adorned her body, only her brown leather trousers and white shirt, her weapon, her sword, never leave her side swung lazily on her hip.

Red Beard, busy in the store room, hear her arrival and walked out to the lower landing at the bottom of the stairs, wiping his dirty hands on an old cloth. Aerin smiled briefly and asked him to collect Kail and direct him to the back. "Bring food and drink, please", she said turning toward her destination.

Inside the small room, a table and chairs, a small hearth alight filled the room with more warmth. She sat waiting for the news. Red Beard would return soon enough with her company and food.

Old 'Red Beard' as he was known didn't say anything to Kail - why would he? He walked by holding a tray of a plate of what looked like warm bread and some stew and a mug, probably of that mead. Kail's lips smacked as he stood, following his beckoning head.

Ambling forward, he waited until Red Beard backed into a room and followed through only to see Firebrand in a fetching get-up of tight leather trousers, shirt and a deadly looking sword by her side. Kail stood and met her gaze as Red Beard set down the tray on the table and left them alone, fire crackling as the wooden door shut leaving them both alone.

Pulling off his gloves, Kail offered a dry smile.

"Looking good, Firebrand. You suit that look."

Walking forward he picked up a slice of the warm bread and dipped it into the greeny/brown soup, watching the steam rise and taking a hungry bite, savouring the hot flavour, the mild spice and succulent taste in his mouth.

"Good. Very good." He fought to speak but keep his mouth closed at the same time. "So. How've you been sweetheart?"

[member="Kail Ragnar"]

Aerin just sat and watched the man eat for a moment, forming no opinion of it. She had seen far worse in some of the manners of the men of Midvinter. She leaned back in her chair and folded her arms across her chest.

"I am just fine love", she retorted to his sweetheart comment, with a smirk on her face. "So you have the name?", she got back to business. It was only now she moved and leaned forward placing her elbows on the table, and rested her chin on laced hands. She did not care to know of his method of acquisition, the fact that he sat opposite her, his clothes showing signs of activity, that something pressed his advance.

"What mood envelopes the Clan?", she wondered if he had found out more, then just the name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom