Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A tedious day

[member="Mariya Underhill"]

star-fighter-bus.jpeg

The Vagrant Fleet had limited supplies and vessels. That meant that if they sent one person on a trip they couldn't afford to send a U-Wing or one of the larger transports. Instead Xin was cramped into bantha-class. At least he had a window seat. Not that there was much of a view.

With his chin on his chest and arms crossed Xin dozed lightly. The overweight human that had been using up his space with his wide rear end had been gone for a while. He'd been having breathing problems so was probably being looked after by the crew.

A creak beside him roused him from his light sleep. He opened one inky black eye. There was a human child now occupying the seat. And pressing the built in screen on the headrest in front of her.

Xin opened both eyes. He turned in his seat to try and spot the owners. The girl ignored him. Had she come down from business class above?

"Parents know you're here?" He asked.

The tiny person now firmly seated beside the funny looking green alien man looked up, hearing a voice call from above. Bronze face and tawny eyes shined as she peered at Xin. "My parents?" She asked, almost indignantly. To make herself seem more intimidating she stood on the seat, looking down at Xin. "My sister is the queen!" She declared. Of where exactly? She didn't feel the need to explain that part. Jamie was a queen, and that was all that anyone needed to know! "I can go wherever I want!" Who was he to insinuate that she couldn't be there.

She emphasized her statement with an audible hmph before sitting back down.

In reality if Jamie knew what Mariya was up to she would have been in some serious trouble. But that was the glory of it, no big sister to tell you no if she didn't know where you were to begin with! This fish guy didn't know anything about Naboo, or Jamie, or if she was or was not allowed, so she could say whatever she wanted. At least that was how her super smart brain rationalized it. "Now," She chirped, plopping her rear into the seat and buckling up. "Do you have any snacks for me? I'm hungry."

[member="Xin Boa"]

Oh dear, Xin thought to herself. A slightly delusional child lost by her family and here to torment him for the rest of the journey. There were few things that could be worse. Maybe having the ship hijacked by pirates? Xin didn't know that the Force was going to do its best to make him regret considering the question.

"Tip from someone who has stowed away a few times. Don't take someone's seat. The attendants notice or they come back. But you didn't do that, you've just got out from your parent's view."

He imagined her parents were terrible people who would happily leave their brat to bother others for a few minutes peace.

"If I give you good will you stay quiet?"

Before she could answer an attendant loomed over them and have them a sweet smile. "Is she with you?"

Xin turned ever so slowly to look at a child, a mischievous smile on his face. He let the moment draw out for his own amusement.

"She can sit here," he said.

"That's fine, but please make sure she doesn't stand on the seat again."

The very instant the attendant turned away Mariya gave her a terrible scowl and poked her tongue out, pushing her thumbs to the sides of her temples and wagging her fingers, completing the gesture with a shaking head. Satisfied with her work she turned back to the green colored alien fish guy. "So you sneak onto ships, mister? I bet I'm better at sneaking!" She lazily swung her legs beneath the seat, wondering where the snack cart was. If the fish guy didn't have anything for her, she'd need to find something herself. There had to be something she could get into her tiny little hands for the rest of this boring trip to who knows where.

"We should sneak our way to the food."

She lapped at her lips, brainstorming a devious plot to hijack the food.

"What's your name, big green?"

[member="Xin Boa"]

"Not today I didn't...little...beige..?" He replied with a shrug. "I'm paid up for the trip so I'm not going and stealing anything. I'm sure you're very good at sneaking around."

The humanling kept moving around, fidgeting and - most annoyingly - talking. Were all human children this active or had someone already fed this one too much sugar he wondered. He looked for salvation in the form of a concerned parent. Or perhaps even an elder sister who was playing the queen in this game.

"Tell you what. Promise you don't have any allergies and I'll buy you something to eat. If you can be less... Be more quiet. And it's Xin. Please to meet you."

Be more quiet? But I'm not even yelling!

Sitting her rear into the seat the tiny girl folded her arms beneath one another and stared up at Xin. "Okay then, Xiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin. My name's Mariya, and I promise to be more quiet and I don't have any allergies."

Part of that promise might have been a lie, and Xin could likely guess which part that was. Mariya wasn't the most astute liar this side of the galaxy, and the beaming smirk on her face did little to help the guise she was hoping to display. It was likely as top notch as her sneaking ability. "I'd like fried Pikobi Eggs and Blossom Wine if they have it!" Not that she knew better, but it was unlikely a ship such as this had either Pikobi eggs or Blossom wine. One was a native Nabooan reptavian, the other an incredibly expensive exported wine famously from her home.

Though Mariya didn't quite have a total grasp on the idea that not every traveler in the galaxy lived lavish lifestyles.

[member="Xin Boa"]

Like most of his species Xin had a relatively deep voice compared to humans. Of course it was different from how his voice sounded when he spoke his own language beneath the water. By contrast the way the girl stretched out his name seemed to grate against his very soul. She was probably trying to provoke a reaction, but despite his best efforts he still flinched. At times he liked to play up to being an outlaw just to get some peace. Yet broad and bared arms covered in tattoos had been utterly useless in dissuading the girl from taking the fortuitously empty chair.

"Of course," he replied. "Nothing but the finest." With that he squeezed past the girl and meandered down the gangway. There were some empty pairs of seats further up the ship and he briefly considered taking them and having a snooze. Perhaps the owners wouldn't even bother to wake him but take his own seat next to the noise. He also considered heading up to business class to find the parents. In the end he decided to continue onwards.

"Right you get...crisps, dried meat and two choices of drink," he announced upon his return. Neither of the canned beverages were alcoholic. She also wouldn't be getting his beer. Before he could say more the ship trembled. Inky black eyes narrowed and he looked back up the gangway. Xin knew ships, knew how they breathed and moved. That hadn't been right.

Mariya poked her head out of the seat and watched, large brown eyes following the silly green fish-man as he went to fetch her some food and drink. She blinked only when her eyes began to burn from staring at the man's headtails sway ever so slightly with each step. When he turned back she quickly retracted her head and sat forward, innocently pretending as if she hadn't been watching him the whole time. Her hands folded into her lap and when he stood next to where she sat she looked up, bright smile on her cheeks that quickly faded when he relayed the incredibly disappointing selections offered to her.

"Crisps and dried meat?" Her nose curled, lips pursing in disgust. "That sounds yucky."

Her small arms folded beneath one another, the expression still on her features. "Can't you find something else?" The shaking of the ship was nearly enough to make her fall out of the seat. Had she been standing on it as she had earlier, she would have tumbled right out and onto the floor. Instead she simply reached for and latched onto Xin's leg. "What was that!" She shouted, looking up both scared and confused.

[member="Xin Boa"]

"No." He replied bluntly. "This is what they have and you can make do or..." Inside he grinned at his own cleverness. "...you could sneak up to business class and get some food from you there."

Perhaps that would return the brat to her parents. Normal kids didn't know about fine wine. Had to be from the posh seats. The ship shook again, scuppering his plan. Powerful legs built for swimming had learned the balance of life in space and the turbulence barely shook him. Then he realised he had a limpet attached to one leg.

"Strap in," he grunted before moving to do the same. "If the inertial dampeners are letting a kick like that through it could be worse." As he spread the good and drink over the floor below his seat the intercom came to life.

"Cabin crew to A stations. That's cabin crew to A stations," called a female voice.

"It'll be fine," Xin told the girl. A male voice spoke across the intercom next in a hurried but professional tone.

"To all passengers we're just going to effect a reversion to realspace for safety reasons. There is no cause for alarm but protocols dictate we run some tests. In the worst instance we may need to wait to be collected by another vessel. Please return to your seats and strap in."

Carefully the diminutive tanned girl crawled into the seat alongside Xin, clasping the buckles together and pulling on the straps nearly so tight it would give her tiny frame love handles. Her teeth bit down into her lip near enough to draw blood, knuckles going white on the arm rests from the anxiety of what might be happening. "Are we gonna die?" She looked up at the fish man' large, dark eyes for reassurance.

"I'll be in big trouble if I die."

BIG trouble.

Clearly the pilot's calls for calm and lack of alarm was lost on the small brat, her legs notably bouncing up and down despite her feet being unable to touch the floor. "What does he mean for safety reasons? Is something broke? Are we gonna crash? Are we stranded?" She had so many questions and the pilot man wasn't doing a good job answering them, so she had to ask them to Xin.

[member="Xin Boa"]

"I think yuh'll be in exactly no trouble if yub die but dat isn't gonna happen," he said with an air of confidence. "We'll probably just stabilise and drift in deep space for a few hours until a bigger ship can get a fix on us."

Her sudden spike in anxiety made him wish he'd found - if not wine - something alcoholic to keep the girl calm and perhaps a little docile. The nautolan was himself nervous enough that he didn't feel guilty about thinking about drugging a young child for some peace.

"Space is big an' empty so..." Xin stopped talking. They were obviously spinning because the gleaming blue planet flashed past the window quickly. "That's not good." The ship was caught in the gravity well now and it wasn't going to be escaping.

Her eyes glossed over rather quickly, looking as though they were about to leak from the corners. Mariya had never been stranded on a ship before. Never had more than an occasional hiccup entering and leaving hyperspace or planetary atmospheres. This was new. And scary. Very scary. Already fighting the swelling in her chest that threatened to become that familiar, stuttered, gasping cry it became even more difficult when Xin cut himself off to look out of the window at the planet in view, growing in size ever so slowly as the ship was pulled in.

"W-" The letter squeaked out before she had to pause, catch her breath, and try again. "What's not good? What's happening?"

Mariya leaned closer, chocolate eyes peering out of the small viewport. "Where are we?" With a nose filling with mucus she sniffled to try and pronounce her words more clearly.

[member="Xin Boa"]

"I was going to say we would almost certainly emerge in deep space. We seem to have come out at a planet. Don't worry. Those dull noises are the thrusters levelling us out. We're fine."

The ship stopped spinning around its long axis. Xin was only able to tell because the planet seemed to stop moving around them and become still relative to them. He leaned against the window, craning to look up at it. It wasn't still he realised; they were closing on it.

"Could everyone please remain in their seats. We have lost power to some systems but have sent a distress signal and help should arrive shortly."

"Excuse me," Xin said to an attendant who was back on his feet. "I'm kind of a mechanic. Might be able to help?"

"Oh. Who were you certified with?"

"Well I've nuh exactly done exams yuh see.."

"Well. Just stay here for now and I'll let the captain know." The tone made it quite clear that no help from such an unqualified amateur was going to be accepted.

None of this inspired confidence in Mariya. The sound of his reassurance, coupled with that of the announcement, the noises, and the idea that they had to send some kind of signal of distress? Well, one tiny girl from Naboo was not at all enjoying this scenic trip anymore! Hands reached for and unclasped her straps, climbing hand over foot past Xin, pressing her face against the viewport with both hands on either side. Wide eyes peered out at the planet they were being pulled towards.

"We're moving. They said we don't have power, but we're going towards that planet. What is that planet? Where are we?"

Head turned violently around towards the fish man.

"Are we gonna crash down there?" She asked, finger pointed towards the planet. "What's down there? Monsters?"

I don't want to get eaten.

[member="Xin Boa"]

Xin slowly blinked his eyes open. The sense that struck him first was the empathy that his headtails provided. The air was thick with fear. The ship's ruddy red emergency lighting was on but most of the light was not artificial.

He turned his head slowly. Xin found that his neck hurts a great deal.

4X10-Midnight-doctor-who-1878968-500-279.jpg

They were planet side. Ah, yes. They'd picked up spin and he had started to lose consciousness. The girl! He turned sharply then winced at the pain that shot up and down his neck.

The last thing the miniature bronze human could recall was the head splitting scream she cried out just before the g-force stole away her consciousness.When finally her chocolate eyes cracked open all she could do was wiggle fingers where arms felt pinned at her sides. Buried beneath an immeasurable amount of debris, Mariya found herself incredibly helpless. Her voice tried to call out for help, but within, dust filled lungs choked out the air, forcing her to cough several times as if she had smoked for some years. She felt utterly helpless, a body of one of the passengers lay partially visible several meters away. Small columns of tears slowly streamed down either side of her cheeks.

"H--Help! Is---Is anyone there?!" Another cough overtook her. "Please! I'm trapped!"

The next few words were barely a squeak as she continued to cry. "I'm scared..."

[member="Xin Boa"]

"This is the captain. We have landed. Before we broke the atmosphere we successfully launched a beacon so help is on the way. Please do not - under any circumstances - attempt to force a door or window to leave the vessel. The temperature outside is stable but we have not analysed the atmosphere. The planet is uninhabited so we just need to wait. Any trained medics please report to a member of the crew."

Xin didn't care. Not after he heard the girl calling. His seat was still in place. Hers was not. The entire thing had come free as if the mountings hadn't been secured properly. Half of the deck from above seemed to have collapsed down. There were bags and beams and passengers strewn everywhere. He tugged at his clip until it released and he followed the noise.

A man was trying to tell a member of the crew that he was a doctor but she wasn't really paying attention. She was bleeding from a deep gash above her eyebrow and nodding dumbly.

Xin dropped to all fours and approached a pile of metal girders and luggage. Behind him several passengers headed for a window.

"I'm sure something just moved..." He heard someone whisper.

With his big eyes he could see the girl trapped underneath, still strapped to the chair.

"Hey," Xin called. "I see yuh. Don't fret. We'll get yuh out."

Through some of the dust she made out the fleshy green pigment of Xin's body as it cautiously approached. His voice was muffled, as was the calling of the captain through partially damaged speaker systems. Some words were interrupted with static and white noise, other times it came in at varying volumes. What she did make out was that they were seemingly on the ground. Whether or not that meant safe was a whole different story. But unless she was free of the prison she found herself in, there wasn't much way to tell for sure.

"I'm stuck!" Mariya shouted, though the coughing fit immediately returned as lungs filled with dirt agitated once more.

The sound of metal grating and grinding echoed through the hull, causing several passengers to panic in reaction to the noises. Two men began kicking at one of the windows to force it to breach, hoping for a quick way out. "It's not safe here!" They shouted, attempting to gain the support of the other passengers still among the living. "We have to get out!"

[member="Xin Boa"]

"Stop that!"

"No, we have to get out!"

"Didn't you see something move?"

"And the atmosphere!"

Xin took a breath. He reached in through the pile of metal and placed a hand on her shoulder

"Yuh heng on fah one moment an ill get help," he said quietly. Xin crawled backwards and stood up. "Hey!" he shouted. "Someone help me lift dis! An get away from de windows!"

When the group continued arguing and ignoring the nautolan Mariya would see he boots stepping away from her. There was another round of discussion and the sound of Xin saying: "Try it."

There was a crack and a dull thud. Xin's boots reappeared with several others. The metal frame groaned as it was lifted up. A bothan woman crawled in and started trying to unstrap Mariya. Outside a man in a smart business robe was trying to stem the tide of blood from his nose. He wasn't doing very well at it.

"Stop that!"

"No, we have to get out!"

"Didn't you see something move?"

"And the atmosphere!"

Xin took a breath. He reached in through the pile of metal and placed a hand on her shoulder

"Yuh heng on fah one moment an ill get help," he said quietly. Xin crawled backwards and stood up. "Hey!" he shouted. "Someone help me lift dis! An get away from de windows!"

When the group continued arguing and ignoring the nautolan Mariya would see he boots stepping away from her. There was another round of discussion and the sound of Xin saying: "Try it."

There was a crack and a dull thud. Xin's boots reappeared with several others. The metal frame groaned as it was lifted up. A bothan woman crawled in and started trying to unstrap Mariya. Outside a man in a smart business robe was trying to stem the tide of blood from his nose. He wasn't doing very well at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom