Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Star is Born

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Tarissa Cadalthor"]

“Her Majesty, the Star Queen will receive you now,” the Angelii guard told the visitor. The woman’s helmet entirely covered her face, and the voice was modulated by a speaker.

Queen Tirathana VII was sitting on a plush chair in loose, informal robes. The bulge of her pregnancy was clearly visible under these clothes.

“Come in, Lady Cadalthor,” Anya said, stretching out a hand for the other woman to kiss in the traditional royal greeting. “What brings you here today?”

[member="Anya Venari"]

The Star Queen was the supreme ruler of Kaeshana. What was more she was the High Priestess of the Goddess, anointed as her emissary. All Eldorai must be faithful to her, lest they transgress not just against the Matriarchy, but also against the Goddess and thus commit apostasy. This was the theory, for reality was often very different. Infighting at the Eldorai court was often vicious, in less than ten years Kaeshana had endured two civil wars over claims to the throne.

Now the line of House Venari was almost decimated, hence why it was such a cause of rejoicing that the Queen was with child. Tarissa knew this all well, for she had grown up at the Court of Courts and played the game, being on the receiving end of both royal favour and punishment.

Nonetheless, appearances must be maintained and the Queen was the Queen. This one also seemed to have a brain, which was very rare among elves these days. Even if she was just a bit too close to certain foreigners. So it was with respect that Tarissa approached Anya. As the woman stretched out her hand she bent her head down and gave it a kiss. No slobbering and equally no long lingering on her hand, it was all kept traditional and formal as it should be.

She appropriately curtseyed before addressing the Star Queen. "I thank you for receiving me, Your Majesty. I hope your pregnancy is going well. It is a cause of great rejoicing for all of Kaeshana," she spoke. Her accent was clipped and refined as she spoke in Eldarai, though she was capable of speaking Basic with a bit of an accent since she had actually taken a time to learn it. Tarissa was wearing an elegant but rather conservative black dress that covered her arms. She wore jewellry sparingly, enough as befitted her rank and the occasion, but was not ostentatious about it.

"There are some matters of concern I've deemed it wise to bring up, especially since the Council of Nobles is taking an interest. One being unrest in the Visitors' Quarter - foreigners are clamouring for 'greater rights' and permission to reside outside it. Their merchant guilds have the impertinence to make demands. It's caused unrest among our people and there's been rumblings about strikes and boycotss, as distasteful as the plebs being unruly is. I will not deny that the monkeighs are useful and the old line of throwing them out is outdated, as Your Majesty wisely recognised, but there has to be some line to regulate them."

Otherwise more Eldorai might be corrupted by their foreign ways. Good heavens, they were already voraciously consuming Corellian pop music!

"Furthermore, there's the, how shall I put it, Protectorate's debacle on Coruscant. Boldly its forces may have ridden and also well, but supreme dash can clearly not win the battle for a capital planet when there is not even the hint of coordination and the two heads of state foolishly fight as common grunts. Word is that Lady Cira has perished in battle...or worse was captured. It's a cause of regret for us...and encouragement for unreformed reactionaries who want to turn the clock back. Has any word been received from the vaunted Protectorate about what their plans are? And what they might demand of their member states?"

Like new taxes and troops. Then again Tarissa had been informed that these days battles were won by small elite groups and that fleeting was background noise, except in certain circumstances, which made it a bit strange that everyone was building big warships. Given the fact that a man was in charge this miserable state of events was no surprise to Tarissa.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
The Queen sighed profoundly. Somehow she was sure that it wasn’t in the brochure that being a Queen meant dealing with these quibbling questions and honeyed words. No, the brochure had promised hedonistic luxury, crowns, joyous and respectful subjects. Now she knew the truth.

Anya peered at the noblewoman, hoping that she would turn out to be a figment of her imagination. Sadly, that was not so.
“The Lord Protector, I imagine, has been rather occupied with his efforts on Coruscant to discuss matters personally with me. Doubtless we will hear more in good time.” Anya wasn’t about to discuss her real feelings with Tarissa, a woman who was by no means a confidant.

“As for the outsiders, I have heard of this too. Which particular rights have you heard them requesting? Tell me more.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

At least he did not lose his hat. We know how highly he values it. Tarissa preened herself a bit. Her opinion of the Lord Protector was as low as it could be. Personally she was also sceptical about this war being their problem at present. Of course, everyone would talk about how they should make common cause against the Sith - damn those Dashdae Sciians - but that was just rhetoric. There was a difference between using it to rally the masses and blindly charging in fuelled by nothing but righteous crusading zeel.

If the gentle reader were to come to the conclusion that Tarissa was a bit of a queen they would probably be correct. Does this writer have any nice characters? Well, Kaida sort of counts.

"Unrestricted rights of residency and the right to own property beyond the Visitors' Quarter for one. For what they consider the 'right kind of foreigners'. Far as I can tell the definition is a matter of dispute, since they are so fragmented racially, which I believe is something that can be exploited. Alternatively they want another town to be thrown open for commerce, though they seem unable to settle upon one. Most troublingly, there are cults following the so-called 'Corellian Gods' who demand the right to proselytise in their name, warping the minds of our people by driving them towards foreign 'deities' and turning them away from the Great Goddess."

Tarissa, while broadly on the pragmatic side of the Eldorai, something which had earned her the disfavour of her family, was still a religious zealot. She was not in the boat of those who wanted to purge all foreigners and heretics with no thought as to what came after, but she was not a 'liberal' either.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
Anya’s view of religion in general was ironically rather atheist, especially considering she was supposed to be Ashira’s agent in life. The truth was far more dangerous and subversive than even Tarissa Cadalthor could comprehend. It would be priceless to see the look on the smug noble’s face when she learned that her whole vaunted superior race was a test-tube creation, and that Ashira’s literal daughter was wandering around hitting things with a hammer.

She restrained the impulse, and with great effort prevented herself from snapping too hard.
“I think if we select a site outside the city attached to the current quarter it can’t hurt,” Anya replied mildly. “As for the preaching, I see no reason to impose restrictions. We must judge them how we would like to be judged, and if you were exiled from Kaeshana and on Corellia, would you not want a shrine to Ashira to be there for you?”
Anya shook her head. “No, Lady, the old ways of persecution will not work anymore. We’re no longer the ones on top here. We must choose out battles carefully, and fight the ones which matter. Let them have their Gods, if you trust in the Great Goddess you already know the true path so you should have no fear.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

Of course, if Anya were to reveal the truth Kaeshana would be thrown into chaos, she would lose her throne and probably her life as well! So she had to play the part of being Ashira's agent despite knowing that the first Eldorai had just been the test tube experiment of megalomaniacal, cone-headed aliens who liked to play gods!

Anyhow, Tarissa knew not to argue with a Star Queen. That tended to result in unpleasant experiences like getting whipped bloody and crucified. Well, this particular one seemed less cruel and capricious than the ones before, but you could never know what the hormones might drive her to.

Well, getting whipped did not sound that bad...long as it was not public!

"I understand, Your Majesty. I will present this to the Council. The Countess of Loth is very hardline...but we know whose money fills her coffers. Those resolute in the faith will stay true to Her. I guess all this is a test of Ashira, for use to rise up and prove ourselves worthy of Her grace. We spent too much time being complacently assured in our superiority while the Galaxy moved on without us." So, yes, religiously inspired survival of the fittest!

"There have been some rumblings about Dashdae Eldorai trying to rebuild their networks, but so far they appear fractured, more eager to fight each other over petty ideological and tactical disagreements. On the positive side the Church has had success in helping and reintegrating slaves liberated from the clutches of the savage Scutarii. A certain number of liberated aliens have even embraced the faith. The Reformed variant. The Goddess Ardarvia is especially popular," she said the last line very, very dryly.

One problem with the Eldorai religion was that it lacked appeal to outsiders. For one it was evident that the Eldorai were not top dogs, which had even made Tarissa question at times whether the Goddess might not have given up on them because they did not measure up, and the extreme racism was a big turnoff. Thus, as Eldorai missionaries tried to make up lost ground and bring the outsiders into the fold, a Reformed variant had arisen that placed less emphasis on Eldorai racial superiority and instead depicted Ashira as a sort of benevolent creator goddess.

As for the Dark Eldorai, the Kaeshana People's Front was engaged in a vicious struggle with the People's Front of Kaeshana. Of course, both hated the Eldorai Righteous People's Liberation Army! It was like in that human holofilm Life of Brian.

"On a more serious note, on the matter of educational reform there's a petition coming from the Western Rim Commerce Guild and an institute on Fondor to found a foreign college for gifted Eldorai to teach them Basic and provide technical knowledge of modern tech."

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
“The college is a good idea. I have been looking into that for a while. I think the new Skyport would also be a great place to host this From there we could have both Eldorai and outsiders meet at a neutral venue. Ones further afield would also be wise.”

The comments about the reformed cult made her smile slightly. “I think they’re more interested in the religious observances than they are the underlying message,” she said carefully. Thoughts of the Firemane executive board came to mind.

“Look into the Dark Eldorai threat. If you find proof they are reforming I will allocate the necessary resources.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

((This writer insists that Anya use the Eldorai tag in her sig!))

Unexpectedly Tarissa seemed agreeable. Perhaps it was pragmatism trumping ideology. Or she did not want to argue with the Star Queen. "I agree, Majesty. I have looked into the foreigners making the offer and they appear respectable. It would be advisable to have an Eldorai co-director. Someone who is also practical but can look over the curriculum and mollify the conservative caucus' concerns about what they might end up learning."

As it happened Tarissa was quite familiar with a certain Firemane couple and their...enthusiastic participation in certain rites. "Oh, I am under no delusion when it comes that. Unfortunate, but we cannot open windows into people's souls." Well, as a matter of fact she knew a certain Lady Kerrigan...very well from the past.

"I will keep further watch on the traitors. Enhanced security on the Skyport is advisable. It's a major accomplishment of Your Majesty's reign and that makes it a perfect symbolic target for those who seek to undermine us. Desperation drives people to desperate measures. After all, as of late trying to randomly drop space stations onto planets seems, as humans would say, 'in'."

Fondor, Corellia, Druckenwell...yeah. It was becoming a cliche!

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
Anya gave Tarissa a look which seemed to indicate ‘Don’t push the flattery’.
“Very well. Is there anything…urgh….” Her last was cut off by a wince of pain as she gripped her belly.
Immediately a waiting doctor hurried over. “Majesty, I think it is time you went to the sanctum. We have the doctors waiting.”
Anya grunted again and got unsteadily to her feet. However, that was too much and she sunk back on her chair. Immediately the Angelii stepped forward and took up the chair. “Yes, take me there. Thank you, Lady Cadalthor, you may go,” she said indistinctly as she was carried away.

[member="Anya Venari"]

Flattery was important for any courtier!

Regardless Tarissa noticed that this was her obvious cue to leave. "Thank you, Majesty. May Ashira's blessing be upon you," Tarissa with something that sounded like actual sincerity and bowed, then quickly but gracefully departed from the throne chamber.

Fortunately medical technology in the Galaxy was advanced to a point where on a civilised planet at least you would not abruptly die in child birth! Unless you wethennishly lost the will to live because your emo, murderous husband decided to be...even more murderous and force choke! Fortunately that was not the case here and Anya was no wet hen.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII

The Queen was swiftly borne away to a place where the best medical professionals on Kaeshana and in the Protectorate that could be hired, were waiting. No birth was trivial, especially a first born Eldorai, but unlike a certain emo girl already mentioned, Anya was not going to die of a broken heart. Also, despite being technologically inferior, the Eldorai had developed the amazing technology of ultrasound which showed there were no mysterious twins and the gender of the baby was known beforehand. Though, for reasons of ritual and protocol, it had not been disclosed to the public as officially the Goddess decided the baby's gender on birth...even if everyone knew it was patently absurd.

Regardless, after a rather unpleasant four hour ordeal, Princess Ariane Venari came into the light...and wasn't that happy about it!

Still, the proclamation went out, bells were rung and there was general rejoicing...and an impromptu half day off work too!

[member="Anya Venari"]

And so Ariane Venari had been born, Anya had a daughter and the succession was secured! Hooray! Hopefully the True Kar'zun would not seize this chance to attack the planet in order to exact vengeance. After all, the Star Queen whom the baby was named after had sort...decimated them.

Anyhow, there was great rejoicing across all of Kaeshana. Bells were rung and all in all the happy deliverance was celebrated. Naturally all sorts of aristos wanted to see the new mother and her baby to give their best wishes. Well, a great many of them probably just wanted to ingratiate themselves, but then that was a virtue for aristos, courtiers and those who would like to be them.

Among the illustrious visitors were Countesses Alcori and Kerrigan of Santaissa, the sole humans on the Council of Nobles. A number of elf aristos did not like they members of the Peerage but, well, did anyone really want to tell an Axe-Crazy Blood Knight with a penchant for randomly tearing down buildings that her blood was blue and her ears not long enough? No one probably. So it came to pass that Kaeshana's favourite human monkeighs were led through the hallowed halls of the White Palace towards the chambers of Ashira's emissary on earth.

Siobhan was naturally elegantly dressed as usual, wearing her most beautiful dress, hair done up and all that. Much to her annoyance she was still forced to lean on a cane, a reminder of how close her own folly had led to her death, though she still made an effort to stand tall and proud, chin held up high, as she passed through.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]
The Queen, doubtless weary of so many platitudes, was just about to end the session. Little Ariane was also getting restless and grizzling too. It'd only be a short time before she retired.
But first, she allowed the two human nobles to enter.
Handing the baby to one of her attendants she came forward and hugged them both. She spoke in basic so they could have a little privacy.
"Thank you for coming. Sorry I couldn't see you earlier, but, you know, order of precedent and all that." It would not do for the junior human nobles to be allowed in before the duchesses and princesses.

Taking little Ariane back she displayed her to the two of them. "This is your Auntie Tegs and Auntie Sio!" she cooed to the baby.
Ariane peered up at the two strangers, yawned, and went back to sleep.

[member="Anya Venari"]

Deep down part of Siobhan felt a bit sulky about not being first in the order of predence. Well, she could not help being inherently self-centred! Siobhan Kerrigan, Duchess of...somewhere important sounded great though. At this stage one might wonder just why and how she became so fixated on noble titles. Clearly a change considering that she had once been a cynical Republican...who really liked princesses.

In any case she eagerly returned the embrace from her friend, though she kept it loose, seeing how tired she was. "That's no problem. I'm happy all went well! Without quantum tunneling Sith suddenly showing up out of nowhere. Congrats on a lovely daughter," she said warmly.

"Hi, little one." She smiled at little Ariane, though she also looked a bit mystified. Siobhan...did not really understand kids. Or babies for that matter. She was quite happy that her fade to black scenes did not require dice rolling! Was she supposed to ask whether she could hold the baby girl? Or would that be an inappropriate faux pas? Just as complicated as deciding which fork to use at formal banquets!

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
Anya grinned happily. “She is lovely! The doctors says she’s healthy. She had a bit of problem breathing last night, but nothing serious. Overall I’m very pleased.”

She gestured to the balcony. “Come, join me for a moment.” She indicated that the nurse should take the baby for a little while and they stepped outside into privacy. “It’s good to have you two to talk to, people I can actually talk to, I mean. I shocked the court yesterday by feeding my daughter myself. Normally that’s something wet nurses and servants do, but she’s my daughter. I don’t want her to be an ornament to bring out when needed and then put back in a box. The nappy changing though I’m using my royal prerogative to pass on to someone else!” she added smugly.

“Malas was happy, and I know the court wants me to try for another so I have an ‘heir and a spare’, but I’m going to wait a couple of years. I want my daughter to grow up with my complete attention for a while. I’m pretty much the last of my family though, so expanding said family is a priority still!”

[member="Anya Venari"]

Siobhan chuckled slightly. "Someone told me once it's good to be Queen. Nice to see you're continuing on your quest to break precedent and shocking the court with a 'humane' face!" . Of course, Anya's actual daily life as a Queen probably had little in common with Sio's fantasies. Or what Game of Stars would have its viewer believe!

"So we'll soon have several little Anys running around? Ashira have mercy on us all, the universe will not survive the incessant trolling," she joked. Of course, one could not rule out the chance that Ariane Venari might end up becoming the cryptic sort of space elf. After all, presently this group lacked one of those, since unfortunately Malya was long dead. "Seriously I'm happy for you. We both are," she exchanged glances with Tegaea.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
Anya looked innocent. “I would never use my child as a means to troll…actually, yes I would!” she said smugly.

Tegaea came and gave Anya a kiss. “I’m so proud of you, Anya. You’ll be a fantastic mother, I know it!”

“Well, when Ariane has aunties like you to come and spoil her rotten, I guess I’ll have to be!”

Anya looked out to the distant shape of the new fortifications taking shape on the horizon. “I see the crown is being built. I’ve been told that it’ll be ready in less than a month.”

[member="Anya Venari"]

Siobhan wondered whether she should mention that Eldorai detractors were calling it Anya's Hat. Admittedly it was a far nicer hat than the one the Lord Protector made such a fuss about!

"Yeah, it's been a long way coming, but I'm told progress is steady. Of course there's always people who complain...but they complain no matter what you do!" This had always been a cause of annoyance for Siobhan when she had been Exarch. (Un)fortunately Anya had often restrained her when it came to making certain people comprehend their place in things. It was best to be prepared in times like these, especially now that the recent conference of the would-be coalition of the willing had been a debacle and Sith were almost on their doorstep.

Anya Venari

Star Queen Tirathana VII
It was probably best not to tell Anya its colloquial name. Enlightened she might be, and tempered by outside experiences certainly, but she still was quite prideful at times. She also, understandably, got annoyed at her people’s infuriatingly mulish behaviour at times.
“You don’t need to tell me, I’ve had petitions from a half dozen groups about it already. One of them claims that building these is an oppressive act and that the Eldorai are becoming Imperialists and warmongers!” She snorted derisively. “Have they seen our history? My ancestor exterminated a sentient race in a holy war. I hope my daughter is rather less warlike than that. Sometimes I wonder what separates some people from a herd of Jesters….”

Her dour tone didn’t last long though. “I was thinking of touring Ruby tomorrow if you wanted to come. Pretty much everything’s in place apart from the shield projector and the Tempest cannons. You’ve got those arriving soon, right?”

[member="Anya Venari"]

"Warmongers and imperialists? But I'm not leading them! Tegs doesn't even let me give dramatic, warmongering speeches anymore," Siobhan mock grumbled. It was true that the Eldorai would probably be extremely imperialist and vicious if they actually managed to take to the stars and were put in a position to go empire-building.

"Oh, yeah, the Tempest cannons are about to be delivered and installed, same with the shield. Ironed out the last technical issues, but once they're at the site they'll be good to go. Ballista and Javelin cannons are already there." She felt like making a joke about how perhaps the Kar'zun would suddenly return now that a Princess who bore the name of the Queen who had wiped them out had been born, thus enabling them to test out the guns, but dismissed that thought. It was just too silly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom