Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public A Single Candle Light in the Void : Jutrand

wb1.png

TAGS:
Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

mattboarder.png

In the shadowed heart of the Sith Order's palace on Jutrand, where whispers of power and betrayal lingered like the ghosts of fallen warriors, Malak stood—a figure cloaked in deception. The grand library around him was a cavernous chamber, its towering shelves laden with ancient tomes and dark secrets, a merit to the Sith's unquenchable thirst for dominion. The air was thick with the musk of old parchment and the subtle, electrifying scent of dark Force energy that seemed to seep from the very walls. Here, amidst the silent knowledge of ages, Malak, known to the galaxy at large as Matthew, embarked on the most perilous phase of his mission.

Having spent months weaving a web of lies and half-truths, Matthew had transformed into Malak, a servant unremarkable yet perfectly placed to observe the comings and goings within the Sith Order's inner sanctum. His journey to this point had been one of meticulous planning, driven by the need to uncover the truth about the current Sith Emperor, Darth Empyrean—an entity shrouded in mystery and dark rumors. Tales whispered in fear-soaked tones spoke of Empyrean not as a man, but an undead abomination, a being whose very existence defied the natural order and whose power threatened the fabric of the galaxy itself.

As Malak's gaze swept across the library, he could feel the weight of history pressing down upon him, the silent judgment of the Sith Lords whose achievements and failures were chronicled within these walls. He moved with practiced ease, his every action the epitome of the unassuming servant he pretended to be, yet his senses remained acutely attuned to his surroundings. The library, with its labyrinthine stacks and secluded alcoves, was the perfect place to gather information, and perhaps, to uncover secrets that Empyrean believed buried.

The air seemed to pulse with an unseen energy, as if the very essence of the Dark Side permeated the place, watching, waiting. Malak knew that his disguise was a frail shield against the probing tendrils of the Dark Force, a barrier that he hoped would protect him from the scrutiny of Empyrean and his acolytes. Yet, as he delved deeper into the shadowed heart of the Palace's library, he could not shake the feeling of being observed, of a malevolent gaze fixed upon him from the darkness.

The stakes were unimaginably high. To expose Darth Empyrean's true nature and intentions could shift the balance of power in the galaxy, or it could lead to Malak's own destruction. But the risk was worth it, for the fate of countless worlds hung in the balance. As he moved silently among the relics of Sith history, Matthew pressed his thumb along the spine of a new book, which he cradled in his hands, looking for a good place to set it upon it's shelves.

sunstara.png

As the would be infiltrator entered the Library, his every step was known and understood in its entirety. From the way his heel hit the carpet, to the way his toes kicked off through his boot - Empyrean could see it down to its smallest detail. Where his natural vision had been stolen, all that remained was the unnatural carved steel that lay in his sockets - forged and alchemized by his own hand and soul.​
It was said that the eyes were a window into the soul, that by looking into a person's eyes they could tell the very nature of a persons soul. For Empyrean, those that stared him down would see only harshness, a wall of steel that rebounded their assumptions. To look upon him now was to only witness what he was - Death.​
When Matthew of Valendale Matthew of Valendale turned the corner to find a place for his book, he would see the Emperor corpse wrapped in loose robes edged in gold watching him. There was nothing but cracked, grey, muddied skin watching him - split and shrouded by hair stained in blood perpetually. He was missing half of his upper body, it was clear he was missing his left shoulder and arm as the robes hung loose in those spots. In spite of that fraility, of his obvious status as a dead body - his energy was intense.​
Like a door opened underwater, to witness the Emperor was to be awash in a wall of sensation. Like a thick, dark side ichor dripped on the skin. It was disgusting, uncomfortable, like he needed to be cleansed of this sensation immediately. The only escape was to run - and his body told him so, instinctually, it told him to run from this abomination like a sweet whisper. It demanded comfort, away from.... this.​
The Emperor just watched him;​
"This is not your home, child."​

As Matthew, cloaked in the guise of Malak, stood before the ghastly visage of Darth Empyrean, the air between them thickened with an almost tangible dread. The Emperor's presence was an affront to the natural order, a grotesque efigy to the dark side's perversion of life. Matthew's heart raced, yet he cloaked his fear beneath a veneer of stoic courtesy, his upbringing as providing a sturdy foundation in the face of such abominations.

"It is not. You are correct," Matthew replied, his voice steady, betraying none of the revulsion that churned within him. He turned, allowing his gaze to fully take in the horror that was Empyrean. The sight of the Emperor, a being so far removed from the living yet exuding such potent dark energy, was a horror unlike any Matthew had encountered. Yet, it was not his first brush with the macabre and the profane. Each encounter had left its mark, a scar upon his soul, yet none so profound as the being before him now.

His blue eyes, glimmered brightly in contrast to the darkness enveloping them, swept over Empyrean, taking in the grisly details—the cracked, muddied skin, the blood-stained hair, and the gaping void where parts of his body should have been. Despite the Emperor's physical decrepitude, the intensity of his dark aura was overwhelming, pressing against Matthew like a suffocating tide. It was a sensation so vile, so fundamentally wrong, that every instinct screamed for him to flee, to escape the corruption that threatened to engulf him.

Yet, he stood his ground, the perfect image of a dutiful servant, though inwardly he battled a maelstrom of disgust and pity. What series of choices, what catastrophic events, had led this once-man to become such a monstrosity? Empathy, a trait so deeply ingrained in Matthew's soul, flickered like a candle in the dark, yearning to understand the tragedy of Empyrean's existence.

"I did not presume the Master of the house would be present here. Is my presence disturbing you, Sir?" he inquired, his tone respectful yet carrying an undercurrent of genuine curiosity. The question was not just a formality; it was a probe, seeking to understand the nature of the dark side's corruption and, perhaps, find a sliver of the man who once was.

As he spoke, Matthew's wings bristled and adjusted slightly—a subconscious reaction to the unease that gripped him. It was a small, almost imperceptible movement, but it spoke volumes of the struggle within, a knight faced with the antithesis of all he held sacred.

Gently tapping the spine of the book against his palm, Matthew focused inward, bolstering his mental defenses. He was acutely aware of the need to shield his thoughts, to suppress his presence in the Force as much as possible. It was a delicate balance, maintaining the illusion of the unassuming servant while standing on the precipice of darkness, engaging in a silent battle of wills with a being as formidable as Darth Empyrean, was a tight rope act atop a razor's edge. Standing staunch as a beacon of light in the overwhelming darkness, his very essence a challenge to the corruption before him. This test of wills, could either illuminate the path to understanding or plunge him into the abyss.
sunstara.png

For all the sight he had lost, he had gained far more. It was simple for him to see the nervousness in microexpressions shrouded behind the placitude of servitude. There was a beat of his wing, a twitch the though missed by almost all, was as obvious to Empyrean as a blade swinging for his head. It was not, however, uncommon for servants in the Citadel to be nervous around the Emperor. In spite of only a few every witnessing the Emperor as he was, all who did reacted much the same - So Empyrean let it go, and did not even test the man's mental strength.​
He already assumed it was the same disgusted, pitiable thoughts everyone had. When the man asked if he was distburbing Empyrean, he couldn't help but sneer. Of course he was, the Emperor had little patience for anyone but Srina Talon Srina Talon to speak with him. His death, the constant pain he is now in sustaining his life in undeath, drove him to hate everything he once enjoyed from humanity.​
"Of course you are.", he said as the once-man forced himself from his seat. It was clear in his movements, addled and shaky as they were, that his muscles had long since failed his commands. He was kept moving by the singular essence of his force abilities.​
Empyrean walked with a slight hunch past the man, towards another section of the library.​
"What have you come for?", yet it wasn't asked as a question would be, but spelled out like a command.​

Matthew's response to the Emperor's commanding presence and thinly veiled disdain was nothing short of a masterclass in diplomacy and sincerity, holding true to his character, and his unwavering commitment to his principles. Despite the overwhelming darkness that suffused the library and the tangable aura of death that clung to Empyrean, Matthew chose to respond with honesty, reflecting his belief in the sanctity of speech and the power of truth.

Lies were so perverse; the true purpose of the gift of language; To convey meaning, thoughts, emotions, and ideals with others, to bridge that gap of understadning between souls, was what Matthew belived in.

"To engage in the meticulous eradication of dust, whilst concurrently and selfishly, indulging an insatiable thirst for the esoteric knowledge that dwells within these halls. Presently, to ascertain a fitting repository for this tome amidst the literature that line these shelves. Yet, beneath the veneer of such mundane tasks, lies a more profoundly pressing, albeit somewhat naïve, aspiration—to rend asunder the shroud of mystery that envelopes the macabre legends whispered in hushed tones throughout the galaxy. More succinctly, to glean insight into the essence of the Symbolic Ruler of the Sith."

Matthew's speech was rich with the decorum of a bygone era as he sought to convey his immediate intentions, but also subtly unveil his deeper desire to understand the figure before him.

"Indulging in a small vein of what might be deemed a child's folly, brings me insight. More curtly; to learn of you, directly from the source, would bring me great enlightenment."
He clarified further reiterating his intent through his confession. His voice was calm and measured. Each word was carefully chosen. There was no deceit in his intent to maintain his guise as a servant, nor in his genuine desire to learn, to understand more of the world he had infiltrated—a world so starkly different from the one he knew.

"Pray, forgive my astonishment, for I had not anticipated the honor of your esteemed presence to grace me so precipitously. It is not my desire to unsettle you, nor do I wish to regard you as a mere curiosity to be observed with undue fascination."
Matthew continued, his tone respectful, yet carrying an undercurrent of interest melded lightly with that of... concern? It was a delicate balance, acknowledging the Emperor's discomfort with his presence without ceding ground or showing fear.

"Might there be some service I could render to assuage the disquiet my presence has wrought upon you? Is there, perchance, an offering within my power to present that would bestow upon you a measure of solace or tranquility? I am adept in the art of discourse, should you seek engagement in such a manner."

Matthew was playing true to his role as a the dutiful servant and yet standing as a paragon of his own belifes as he extended a semblance of empathy and understanding, even in the face of such a grotesque perversion of life. It was a offer made in kindness—a knight's offer of aid, even to those who might seem beyond the realms of redemption. It was a bold move, one that could be seen as naivety by some, but to Matthew, it was a reflection of his core beliefs: that every soul, no matter how darkened or lost, held a story worth understanding, a pain worth acknowledging.

Whatever Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean has become, traces of his former self still linger, evident in his capacity for human emotions and thoughts. Matthew acknowledges this, choosing to offer him the respect one might give to an elder at life's end, regardless of the life they've led.
sunstara.png

"A servant who has come to gawk.", he said in spite of Matthew's pleas to the contrary. Empyrean seemed to stiffen at the interest in him, to understand him - he was a being ever on the cusp of violence, and it became all the more obvious as Matthew spoke that he was treading further to that line. Empyrean perhaps had a story, but what was left of the dead or dying abomination stank of anger and hatred at everything and nothing at once.​
"There is nothing one of your status could offer me, nothing that would give me solace. Your duty is to the maintenance and cleaning of these chambers, not to offer me promises and rituals - that is the job of the Sepulchral.", the corrupted Sith priests Matthew had no doubt seen on his journey within the Citadel.​
As Empyrean moved, as the Emperor seemed to struggle to control his body, he walked towards a distance chair - black and empty, it's surface held no reflection despite its glossy nature. Instead, it seemed to endlessly fall into itself, only broken apart by ur-Kittat symbolage engraved into almost every surface and edge imaginable. The Emperor sat upon it, and instantly seemed to calm - as though pain of some great magnitude instantly lifted away.​
As his features relaxed, he looked upon the Servant with a more inquisitorial look. Servants did not act like this around the Emperor, they did not speak to him 'diplomatically', because they simply didn't speak to him at all. The only ones who dared now were the Sith Empyrean had to beat back into line every time they tested his will, his strength, the endless armies that answered his call.​
So this wasn't a servant - but it was a game. A game he could end, he could break the man's mind and steal his every secret. He could show him the very essence of who Empyrean had become, show him the depths to which he was capable of judas action. So total in his efforts could he annihilate anyone who stood before him, the thought seemed as casual as lifting a hand.​
But he didn't, because that wouldn't be entertaining, and if there was anything the Emperor required now it was the occasional distraction. So he only leaned back in his chair, and spoke;​
"I will offer you a boon instead. Your life, first most, but second I would hear what sort of 'discourse' you intend to lay upon me. What great knowledge could you hold that compares to mine?"​

It was imperative that Matthew maintain his composed demeanor and strike a balance between humility and confidence.
Matthew stepped closer, his boldness in following in Empyrean's wake and speaking so openly, set him apart from the typical servants busying themselves within these halls. Yet, his approach was sincere. If he was to play the role of a servant, then he would fully embody it, drawing upon his own experiences from youth and the lessons learned from observing the intricate layers of societal hierarchy. Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean was correct; Matthew was no typical servant and was easily parsed for someone else.

He stood a respectful distance away, observing the Emperor settle into the ominous black chair, its unique nature not escaping his notice.

"Your magnanimity in granting me life is acknowledged with gratitude, Emperor. As for the discourse I propose, it is not my intention to presume superiority in knowledge or wisdom. I wouldn't dare to compare our knowledge directly, especially since we've only just met. But I'm honored you'd even consider my words might hold value, unless you're speaking in jest. If you're genuinely interested, I'm always willing to share the insights I've gathered over my life. I've come to think of them as 'universal truths'," Matthew said, his voice carrying a gentle firmness.

He paused for a moment, considering his next words carefully. "I know discussions on morality might not intrigue you much. Yet, it's clear to me that everyone, in some way, fears being forgotten. There's a universal desire to be cared for, to matter to someone, or to find a purpose. It's a fundamental need that connects us all."

He moved to set the book down gently on a small table.

"So I shall speak on matters that we may both be well versed in. The weight of the crown. " Matthew trailed softly.

"The crown bestows vast rights upon a head of state, yet it can sit lightly on the head while weighing heavily on the heart. This holds true for kings, queens, and Kaisers alike. Contrary to popular belief, it's not a role to be envied. The allure of power and wealth is undeniable, but the burden of responsibility and the consequences of decisions are profound. It's a challenging position that deserves respect. From what I've observed, while many think that people should fear their leaders, in truth, it's the leaders who should fear their people. The power granted by a crown comes with an expectation of service and accountability; leaders must remember that their authority is ultimately derived from those they govern. "

He paused briefly, "The crown's burden extends into a delicate game of balance—choosing whether to be feared, respected, or loved. After all, a ruler can only dispose of so many of their people before there's nothing left. Such a scenario hardly seems like a situation one would take pride in overseeing. It underscores the importance of wisdom and compassion in leadership, highlighting that the true strength of a ruler lies not in how many fear them, but in how many stand with them, believing in their vision for a better future. Governing with respect and love, rather than fear, builds a legacy that endures beyond the ruler's reign, fostering a society that thrives on mutual respect and shared aspirations. Building such a legacy where those who remain once you've moved on who excitedly celebrate you and all you've done, engenders a more indelible immortality. "

sunstara.png

Empyrean did not interrupt the 'servant' in his speech, his universal truths, or his plee for different leadership. He did not speak out against anything, and let the man finish his thoughts to their natural conclusion and only then did he adjust himself and speak;​
"Your view is narrow and untested. Have you ruled a state, or simply observed them ruled? Do you speak from the position of the ruler, or the ruled? More directly, are there examples of an immortal ideology that has surpassed even its rulers?", he questioned.​
"The Galactic Alliance has fallen and risen from its ashes many times over the last hundred years - each was loved by its people, but rarely feared. An ideal organization by your own merit; and yet it failed to sustain itself against internal and external pressures. Each failed their people and let them burn under civil war, unrest, and pirate fleets from the First Order and Sith Empire respectively."​
"The Sith Empires are no different, they brought order through fear and strength. They held the longest spanning sovreignty in the galaxy with no equals - and only when their own military betrayed them and fear was split between two new ideologies did it fail. In turn, its successor, the Imperial Order, failed in turn in spite of the fear they had built."​
"In spite of that, you can name the greatest of the Sith Emperors. Darth Carnifex is famous as the twice-Emperor, or twice-failed depending on your opinions. Can you name a single Chancellor from ages past, who's love transcended their own death, or the death of their Empire? Has fear and power in our own galaxy not proven your statement wrong?"

"My point stands, love and fear mean nothing. There is only power - and were I so willing, I could burn this Empire to the ground on a whim. There wouldn't be a Sith who could stop me."​

Matthew offered a thoughtful nod, his demeanor reflective. It was clear there was a good bit of thought and cognitive work going on behind those icy blue eyes. He remained silent listening carefully and taking in all that Empyreon had to offer.

"Indeed, your point holds merit. Throughout my life, I've assumed various roles of varying stations, each offering unique lessons. My insights stem from this well of experience. The dilemma with power, as I've observed, is its inherent tendency to corrupt. It beckons to those already tainted by corruption, those who hunger for it. And as the adage goes, 'Absolute power corrupts absolutely.' It's a common pitfall for individuals, driven by self-interest, to exploit such positions for personal gain, adopting a shortsighted perspective. When their immediate wants and desires are satisfied, the motivation to consider the broader implications or the well-being of others diminishes. This myopic focus on self-gratification, neglecting the greater good, is where the true danger lies."

Matthew started before conceding some of the ideals presented and agreeing with Empyrean.

"Admittedly, my grasp of your histories and those of the Galactic Alliance may be considered neophyte and naive. If such is the case, then I view the broader narrative of the galaxy with a sense of sorrow. The cyclical rise and fall of empires, the ebb and flow of power and rebellion, paint a picture of unending strife and turmoil. It is a history rich with lessons, yet heavy with the cost of its learning.
My purpose in assuming the role of a servant within these hallowed halls was driven by a quest for knowledge, a scholarly pursuit to understand the forces that shape the greater galaxy. I am, therefore, deeply appreciative of the perspective you offer, Emperor. Your insights grant me a more nuanced understanding of the complexities of power and governance."

Matthew asserted with a bow of his head.

"However, while I acknowledge the points you've raised regarding the efficacy of fear and the transient nature of love in the annals of leadership, I am compelled to argue that there exists a middle path. A path that, though less trodden, offers the promise of a more enduring legacy.

History, as you've rightly pointed out, is replete with examples of empires built on the back of fear, their longevity testament to the control such an emotion can wield. Yet, the same history also whispers of leaders whose names have endured not for the fear they inspired, but for the vision they championed—a vision that sought to uplift rather than subjugate.

The true measure of power, I believe, lies not in the capacity to instill fear but in the ability to inspire. To inspire a people to see beyond the immediate, to dream of what could be, and to work together towards that shared vision. It is in this capacity for inspiration that a leader's legacy is truly forged.

You ask of immortal ideologies, and while no ideology may outlive its creators entirely, the principles of justice, equity, and prosperity continue to resonate across ages. They speak to something fundamental within us all—a desire for a life marked by more than just survival under the shadow of fear."

He paused, his speech punctuated by gentle, illustrative gestures of his hands, lending a visual rhythm to his words.

"And so, while I stand humbled by the depth of your experience and the breadth of your knowledge, I hold firm to the belief that leadership, at its core, is about more than just power. It is about the judicious use of that power to forge a legacy that endures, one that is remembered not for the fear it inspired but for the hope it offered and the progress it achieved.

In choosing how we wield our power, we define not just our reigns but the very fabric of the galaxy we leave in our wake. It is a choice, I argue, that carries with it the weight of our collective future."

As Matthew continued, his passion for the subject became evident, his confidence growing with each word. He seemed to genuinely relish the exchange of ideas, his enthusiasm for the discourse shining through in his earnest reply.

"Your vision of empire, to rule all of creation and existence, is indeed a scale of ambition that dwarfs any conventional understanding of power. Yet, if such power is within your grasp, one must ponder why the path of total destruction has not been chosen. To preside over realms marred by extensive destruction and sorrow is a hollow victory, devoid of true substance or cause for pride. It mirrors the fleeting thrill a child might find in the spectacle of demolition, lacking appreciation for the enduring beauty or utility that comes from creation and growth."

He paused, drawing a somber breath as he reflected on his own culture. Considering how best to articulate its essence, he felt the weight of being an outsider to the vast galaxy he now explored.

"Such perspectives, in the culture I hail from, are seen as immature, shortsighted in their failure to recognize the value of what is being lost in favor of momentary amusement. It is a basic tenet of nature that cycles of good and bad are inescapable, a balance that governs all things. Yet, it is the endeavor towards improvement, the aspiration to build and uplift, that defines the most noble of pursuits. To create something magnificent, ideals and achievements that not only benefit all but outlive their creators, is the mark of a truly enduring legacy.

Consider, if you will, where civilizations might stand had they not conquered fire, or if the myriad species across the universe had shunned the path of technological advancement. Such pivotal moments of change and growth have propelled societies forward, enabling them to rise above their primal origins and achieve greatness.

The pursuit of power for its own sake, to dominate without the aim of betterment, is akin to ruling over a barren wasteland. What merit is there in being the sovereign of desolation? True legacy lies not in the ruins one leaves behind but in the foundations laid for future generations to build upon. It is in the creation of a world where technological advancements, societal progress, and cultural achievements continue to flourish long after we are gone.

So, while the cycles of existence dictate that we cannot have light without darkness, it is our duty, our purpose, to strive for a balance that favors the light. To inspire, to build, to leave a mark that speaks not of our capacity for destruction, but of our relentless pursuit of progress and the betterment of all under our stewardship."

Matthew's zeal for championing his ideals could be described as a fervent, with an enthusiasm that borders on the manic. His dedication to spreading his beliefs is not just a part of him; it consumes him, igniting his spirit with a relentless drive. This near-manic passion manifested in animated gestures, an intensity in his eyes, and a voice that, even when controlled, vibrates with the force of his convictions.

He paused once more, taking a moment to gather his thoughts. He realized that lengthy discourses were uncommon in these exchanges and pondered a more concise way to reach the heart of his message.

"Of course, I could go on about my enduring passion for the sparks of hope that never fade. But, let me simplify my inquiry... Are you content? Truly content, in a sense that allows you to savor the outcomes of your endeavors? Is this all you've ever hoped for?"

When Matthew was done, Empyrean didn't answer his question, offering a question of his own in turn;​
"You're so close to understanding truth, blinded by ignorance. Do you know what it is the Sith fight for, or simply the assumptions you have been told?", a rather clear explanation that he knew the man before him was not meant to be in this building, if not this entire Empire.​
"What is that which ties mortals together? What exists within every living being of our Galaxy? What has caused thousands of years of the rise and fall and the rise and fall of Empire after Empire? What, above all else, permeates your existence down to the very soul of your body? In all bodies?", he said with a slight lean forward.​
"The Force. Were we only so capable of self determination - but as you said, nature demands a light and dark. The good men and the bad, the nature of allowing a child to be murdered just so a man can be saved. These things are only natural because someone has demanded them to be - enforced it, influenced it as an omniscient, omnipotent entity. That which controls the galaxy by a chain."​
"The Sith fight for a legacy, that much is true, but you dream so lowly. We have no grand ambition to conquer the Galaxy, just so that we might continue this cycle of hatred and violence. I fight so that all beings may be free of its influence, its constant need to make us fight. As my people worship me, I will ascend and change this galaxy for the better."​
"No more war, no more slaves, no more anything. My people love and fear me in equal measure, but they know I lead us towards that breaking of fate I have promised them. It is our struggle as Sith that makes us strong, that we may sacrifice ourselves so that each of us may stand on the shoulder of the others through darwininan competition. Eventually, as we strengthen, we will be high enough to reach the throne that will allow our change to take place."​
"But in this world, in this place, half measures will only allow the Force to continue our fight eternally. We kill, we maim, and we will do great evils unto this galaxy until we suceed - being content means nothing in the face of duty. An Emperor is not a man who feels content, he knows only ambition - because if I falter, this Empire crumbles."​

wb1.png

TAGS:
Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

mattboarder.png

Matthew knew the unspoken answer then. "There will never be a lasting peace. One cannot satisfy nor please everyone. A position of leadership and power is a burdensome one at that, but there can be room for reprieve and simple pleasures."

He took a moment to reflect on the Sith ideals, as articulated by the Emperor with such poetic conviction. Yet, as he listened, Matthew found his own beliefs solidifying in response, his perspective sharpening against the backdrop of the Emperor's words.

"The Sith ideology, with its emphasis on strength, power, and domination, presents itself as a path to liberation and greatness. However, this path is fraught with peril, not just for the individual who walks it but for the entire fabric of society. At its core, the Sith way fosters a cycle of conflict and betrayal, where trust is a liability and compassion is seen as a weakness. This cycle is not just a byproduct of Sith philosophy; it is its very engine, driving followers into a perpetual struggle for power that consumes both victor and vanquished.

The pursuit of power for its own sake, as championed by the Sith, is a seductive trap. It promises freedom but delivers bondage—bondage to one's own insatiable desires and to a system that values power above all else. This relentless pursuit leads to isolation, as connections and relationships are sacrificed on the altar of ambition. The irony is profound: in seeking to dominate others, one becomes enslaved to the very ideology that promised liberation...

Am I truly the one who cannot see, or does the blindness lie elsewhere?

Moreover, the Sith's embrace of the dark side of the Force as a means to gain power is inherently self-limiting. The dark side feeds on anger, fear, and hatred—emotions that, while powerful, are ultimately destructive. They destroy the individual from within, eroding empathy, love, and the capacity for genuine happiness. The result is a life lived in the shadow of one's own potential, where true fulfillment is forever out of reach." He paused, his eyes seeking Empyrean's, as he painted his own views on the contraditions he's come to see in the code.

"The Sith Code, at its core, speaks to a deep-seated yearning for validation among those who feel rejected or betrayed by the Jedi and the institutions they represent. It's not only a set of principles but a beacon for kindred spirits seeking solace in strength, power, and the promise of breaking free from perceived chains. This mantra, 'Peace is a lie, there is only passion...' begins as a whisper of empowerment to those nursing wounds of betrayal or loss, offering a path away from their pain through the embrace of passion and power.

However, this path, while seductive in its promise of liberation, quickly reveals itself to be a circuitous route back to bondage. The Code, in its appeal to those hurt and seeking retribution, becomes a tool of enslavement. It preys on the spite born of initial injuries, channeling it into a cycle of hatred and violence that ultimately serves the Sith's agenda of domination and control. What begins as a quest for personal freedom morphs into a collective march towards deeper enslavement to the dark side of the Force.

This insidious nature of the Sith Code is its true genius and its most dangerous aspect. It offers a sense of belonging and purpose to those cast aside, only to bind them more tightly to a cause that perpetuates the very pain they sought to escape. It's a masterful stroke of manipulation, ensuring that the Sith ranks are continually replenished by those who believe they have no other place to turn, no other way to assert their worth or heal their wounds.

The tragedy does not die with the indvidual. The Jedi, for all their faults, strive for a galaxy governed by peace and understanding. In contrast, the Sith Code, by demonizing the Jedi's ideals and glorifying revenge and power, perpetuates a cycle of strife and division. This code systematically and simultaneously blinds it's followers to the chains it forges to bind and control them.

You don't have to continue this way..."

The Dead Emperor looked upon the man and frowned, the most obvious emotion he had expressed since they had begun - but it was not of self realization, nor was it anything similar. It was pity, a sadness befitting someone who had not let scales fall from their eyes. A victim of lies so deeply engrained, there was nothing else to see.​
"When a Slave betrays community and the understanding they are a servant, to break their chains and strike down their master - were they wrong to do so? In the action of liberation, they have created freedom for themselves and others, but they have allowed their oppressors justification for reprisal. In finding freedom, they created the cycle of strife and division you claim the Sith perpetuate."​
"Would the Jedi condemn the Slave for his actions? Was it not for the greater good he turned to violence? Were he to 'fall' to his hatred, were he to strive to kill every Master that whipped his property, were he to kill so thoroughly that he might end slavery as an institution, would you then claim he has done nothing but fall to his own hatred?"​
"It is the action of the oppressed to use the means given to them to fight against the oppressor. It is in this action liberty and freedom is created. What you encourage, nigh on demand, is the perpetuation of enslavement. In the name of peace, of understanding, you would demand the slave to remain in their chains - because to break that order, that stagnation, would create division and strife that could have been avoided. You fear the act of liberation so much, you've made it a sin to be free by any definition but your own."​
"That is the problem with your mindset. You have misunderstood the Sith through a lens of your own creation - or by the creation of your teachers. You've not read our literature, you've not understood our code, and you've not understood the conditions of the galaxy. It is a privilege to be born ignorant of the atrocities the Force creates and the Jedi maintain. It is a privilege to be childlike in your wonder of the galaxy."​
"No, summer child - you've not engaged with what I've told you, because you have no bearing or anchor to shore yourself upon. To see this sea as something different requires a different perspective - to look at the common denomination of all history, of all people, of all conflicts and peace's made within. What you consider peace is not peace as I understand it. You would tell me that you fight for the greater good, but in the same breath tell me that war is eternal and there is nothing that can be done to stop it but to surrender myself to its tide."​
"Have you yourself, not asked me, the Great Liberator, to chain myself to acceptance so that a few lives now may be spared at the cost of every life in the future? Have you not asked me to chain myself, so that my master may live even if it costs me and my brothers their freedom? You've asked nothing of me but the perpetuation of strife and division, if only gentle and ignorable, in contrast to my swift and dedicated action."​
"Would I truly be the evil one among the two of us, for freeing mortal kind from chains you refuse to see? Or would you be, for asking me to put them back on and surrender myself to the tide of fate, and not fight so fervently for my right to self determination?"​

"Emperor, I've not called you evil. As a paladin, I uphold light and justice, and I see your undead state as a departure from life's natural course. It makes me wonder if darkness has narrowed your vision, leading you down a path of spite. Was this journey your choice, or were you drawn in by others' influence?"

He paused briefly looking the man over one last time.

"I may not call you evil, but I can condemn the evil actions you have taken and the atrocities you've wrought upon others. We are to love the sinner and show compassion and hate the sin it's self. The true definition of who or what 'Empyrean' is can only be determined by you. If you're so convinced of this perception that you believe others see you the same way, then it's worth considering that only you have the power to change it. We are each uniquely responsible for shaping our actions and our paths. You appear to be acutely aware of how others perceive yourself. If this self-perception doesn't bring you satisfaction, question why that is and strive to embody the change you wish to see. After all, no one else can do that for you."He asserted with a slight yet kurt nod.

"You can't please everyone, and not everyone will choose a path of goodness. But you can embody the change you wish to see in the world. Breaking free from an oppressor doesn't justify becoming one yourself. That cycle is toxic, cruel, and unjust. I never argued against slaves seeking freedom from their oppressors, nor suggested they shouldn't."

Matthew didn't seem to understand exactly how his vision could be so warped.

"Yet, in your quest, have you become so consumed by darkness that your views are now shaped by spite? So warped by perversions of noble pursuits? As a paladin who values the sanctity of life, I see your undead state as a deviation from this principle. It prompts me to question if your path has been solely your own choosing or if you've been drawn into the darkness by others. I'm here not to condemn but to understand and perhaps offer a perspective that leads to true liberation, not further oppression."
He trailed softly.

"I'm here not to judge but to understand and perhaps gift you with just a spark of light—a light not of blinding purity but of hope and redemption. Everyone can find their way back, no matter how lost they seem."He paused allowing his sentiment to sink in.

Empyrean, thank you for your time and for sharing your thoughts. This conversation has really opened my eyes to how the Sith views shape someone. But, my time grows short. I appreciate your wisdom and hope we've made a step towards understanding each other better." He paused as if awaiting any final words.

sunstara.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom