Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a serious discussion is needed

alright. I live near Waukesha in Wisconsin, and I live relatively near were the slenderman stabbings took place. I need to just make this clear.

Alrighty. I can honestly say that the thing with the slenderman stabbing really disturbed me. I can't even imagine how the victim feels, along with her parents and the two girls. It's one of the most twisted and demented thing I've ever seen, it really is.

That being said

It is absurd that the notion of shutting down creepypasta was even brought up. Two girls, who were most likely phsycotic, attempted a murder and blamed it on FOLKLORE. Just because creepypasta has a slenderman fanbase doesn't mean that it is encouraging violent behavior. This is one incident, and a sick one at that. Instead of blaming the site, perhaps we could just take the facts and realize that these two girls were not mentally healthy! As a frequent user of the site, and I see it as just stories and literature, nothing that I see in any of the articles would I ever take seriously, nor would anyone else. It's like "that man jumped off a cliff in this story, I'm going to jump off a cliff". It simply doesn't happen and we just need to accept that this is something we need to learn from, instead of pointing fingers to avoid the problem.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
*cries* ...I'm so old.

But seriously. It's a terrible thing that happened. Those two girls are young and senselessly violent. The internet is a scary place for youth. I'll let the court handle it as they see fit and raise my own children with greater care.

PS: The media is sensationalism at it's finest. Beware. Beware. :D

Clearly the two girls have mental health issues, as one was quoting as stating she felt no remorse while another said "the bad part of me wanted her to die, the good part of me wanted her to live." Video games and media are not to blame for the actions of these two children. Poor parenting and a failure to recognize secondary and tertiary issues are to be blamed in this case.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
What puzzles me is how you treat your 'best friend' like that. There was a murder of a 16-year-old last year in West Virginia carried out by her two 'best friends' as well. Murder is insidious no matter what, but of all the people you would plan to kill... Your best friend?

Most strange is considering the possibility that they could be crazy. But what are the odds that two girls happen to be so demented and the third girl never notices? Also, the account says that they hesitated on two instances before finally doing the horrible thing they did. They obviously had some fragment of a conscience left.

A website like that, however inappropriate it may be for impressionable kids, does not create this. I almost wonder if they were into Satanic worship.

rain21199

The One Horned Demon
I live in the same town as Kalo. Our school had blocked creepypasta because of it. It's stupid to believe that people think it's the website's fault.

They're children. To be honest, I don't even think it was Slenderman as the reason they did it. Children lie through their teeth constantly, and are good at it (I'd know, I was once a child :p). My little sisters constantly lie, my mum believes them and I'm just stand there like "You bloody liar, mate." I think they're just using Slenderman as a reason / escape goat so that they get lesser punishment then they would if they admitted to doing it for their own sadistic reasons.

TL;DR Slenderman isn't the reason. They're just lying - in my opinion.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Cain Laatl said:
I live in the same town as Kalo. Our school had blocked creepypasta because of it. It's stupid to believe that people think it's the website's fault.
People are scared by what they don't understand. The most common reaction to modern media coverage is to be reactionary. To close up like a turtle and sever all ties to anything remotely perceived as dangerous or that could become a liability in court. I don't blame any organization for clamming up like that though. Parents, like mobs, demand action and often bloody justice. Schools, companies, and even governments aren't immune to these effects. The media exists to sway public opinion. Not educate it. To create public outrage rather than avoid it. That's it's culture. The way it makes it's money and justifies it's impact. It's just human nature to create snap judgments about things like this. After all, understanding and education take time. Pointing fingers and calling wolf, doesn't.

Kalo's right that people are reacting the wrong way about it. But, in all honesty, I'm still surprised that people react to stuff like this at all. :(

Tamara said:
Or they really believe it and are mentally ill.

Either or.
Either way, they're still mentally ill. If they believed Slenderman, they've got something wrong with them mentally. If they did it for their own sadistic reasons, they've got something wrong with them mentally.

My view on this is that though the creepypasta website is not to blame, there is a problem with the person writing the stuff. I mean I don't blame him or anyone else for what happened, but he did write it and it has effected those two girls.

Now the problem with psychological illnesses is that it is very difficult in circumstances like these to tell. A girl, or anyone, at that age has a very open and fertile mind. If something like that is sown or placed in the mind, it can have detrimental effects, such as what happened. A young mind is very easy to mold and when something like Slenderman, which is a gory and gruesome subject, is placed in a mind like that it can cause trauma to the mind. It warped their minds, whether they were oddballs, I mean no disrespect to them at all, to begin with is not the point. The fact is they wouldn't have done it if they hadn't read what was on that site or if that site did not have that information on it.

Now they probably shouldn't have been on that site, and they should be given responsibility for what they did and read. But I believe that those who made Slenderman also have a partial blame in this. The parents should also have some blame on the subject; likely if they had kept an eye on what their daughters were doing online this might not have happened.

In regards to what [member="Hasjo Hallu"] said, he may well be right. But I do not think they would have done this if it weren't for what they had seen and read. Children tend not to be that sadistic, tend to be there are some that do I admit. The fact that two girls had planned this for months, that there is a theory they had been studying on Slenderman due to evidence beginning to be found on their computers, and that they were very cunning about all this (Their parents obviously didn't know or this wouldn't have happened), seems in my mind to point to them not lying. They may be, though it is hard to tell.

Now before I make this next statement, please do not judge me or any beliefs I may have. I've had it happen on a few other sites, so I am just asking for a little understanding.
With that said, I think in my Christian beliefs that there was demonic intervention. At the same time there may have been divine intervention as they missed the heart and arteries by only a millimeter. I think that the website opened their minds to darker thoughts and opened them to demons.
That is all I wanted to say. Again that last statement you need not agree with. I'm not trying to force my beliefs or religions on anyone, I am simply stating my thoughts.

And yes I do believe that gaming and websites can heavily influence children. Just because it has not happened to some or most, doesn't mean that it won't happen.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Honestly, I'm not the least bit surprised about any of this. Considering our global population, a few bad apples are to be expected - even in proximity. Because we live in the technological era that we now do, you just have the ability to hear about it much more frequently and readily, thus is comes as a shocker even though it's potentially hundreds or thousands of miles away from you.

If you really look at it logistically and sociologically, this falls into really a bit of an average. Two girls went a little nutty - coincidentally together - and hurt another girl. Things like this happen all the time, but they're not always made such a big stink of. It's funny how society now functions; these things weren't so shocking a century ago - they were literally unheard of.

That said, I think it isn't the fault of sites like Creepypasta for people to do idiotic or senseless things. Some people just have a certain chemistry. No one is perfect, and a plethora of different variables and circumstances both internal and external contribute to the behavior of an individual. Ya can't blame it on some silly clearly-fictional website. That's hypocritical. Twelve y/o's play GTA. Children watch Game of Thrones. They shouldn't be let to do all these things; even still, they aren't following those examples, however desensitizing it may or may not be.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Corruck Kazen said:
That is all I wanted to say. Again that last statement you need not agree with. I'm not trying to force my beliefs or religions on anyone, I am simply stating my thoughts.
Discretion is the better part of valor. And while I might totally agree with you. The Devil being real and all that jazz. I've never met a Christian who was required by their religion to post comments about demons on the internet. Lol. If you think that devils were speaking to the girls? Good for you. Not gonna judge either way. But does it distract from the other points you were trying to make? Yeah. Am I replying to it directly. Yeah. Am I going to judge you for it? Probably not. I don't really care. But others will. Totally will dude. I mean, you did choose to say it out loud. On the internet after all. Lol.

Cheers. :D

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Speaking just from personal adherence here; I'm both religious and realistic, and I think there really isn't a difference between "demons" and influence - I think science and religion just give them different names, and either way is fine by me. I don't believe in the concept of right or wrong either, but positive is positive and negative is negative. There is thus no judgement in perspective, but I do really think it balls down to the conditions of and surrounding these girls. In reality, it could be attributed to any number of things, not just some campfire story esque website. A lot of forces could be at work there, not just what the media describes.

Corruck Kazen said:
My view on this is that though the creepypasta website is not to blame, there is a problem with the person writing the stuff. I mean I don't blame him or anyone else for what happened, but he did write it and it has effected those two girls.

Now the problem with psychological illnesses is that it is very difficult in circumstances like these to tell. A girl, or anyone, at that age has a very open and fertile mind. If something like that is sown or placed in the mind, it can have detrimental effects, such as what happened. A young mind is very easy to mold and when something like Slenderman, which is a gory and gruesome subject, is placed in a mind like that it can cause trauma to the mind. It warped their minds, whether they were oddballs, I mean no disrespect to them at all, to begin with is not the point. The fact is they wouldn't have done it if they hadn't read what was on that site or if that site did not have that information on it.

Now they probably shouldn't have been on that site, and they should be given responsibility for what they did and read. But I believe that those who made Slenderman also have a partial blame in this. The parents should also have some blame on the subject; likely if they had kept an eye on what their daughters were doing online this might not have happened.
I still say something is mentally wrong with the girls. At age ten or so the idea of death is becoming final, these kids were way too old not to understand the basic concept. They did not mention anything about an afterlife which at that age may confuse a child as they are still figuring out their religious beliefs. This doesn't excuse them from their acts at all but there is quite more at play than "kids lie" or "video games made me do it". I will allow for children growing up in this digital age can easily fall into a trap of warped reality. It is an emerging psychological concern.

As for the Slenderman creators, I do not believe they have any blame at all. They have a game created by adults for adults. The guardians of these children needed to be more vigilant of their actions. Creepypasta cannot control the actions of individuals and their caretakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom