Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Personal Development Idea

I realize that we are on a board that promotes freedom of choice and self development, but I wanted the opinion of some of my fellow Silver Sanctum members on a character idea that I had. I'm not sure if it's original or not, but I would like to see if it is a viable option in this faction.

Máni comes from Midvinter a world lacking in technology and left behind by the events of the galaxy at large. He has a natural force sensitivity, though he believes it to be a gift from his Gods. Due to his upbringing and his beliefs, he has a strong mistrust of technology as a whole and this extends to Jedi Weaponry such as the Lightsaber. Because of his mistrust of the technology and such, he would oppose the idea of wielding such a weapon and as such I think that he would be better suited starting as a warrior for the Sanctum rather than a Jedi Padawan, though I would still like him to be classified OOC-ly as one.

I think it would provide a healthy amount of character development seeing him adjust to the galaxy outside of Midvinter, namely that centered around the Silver Sanctum and their current and future objectives as a faction. I think that seeing him go through this change would provide a wealthy sum of development both mentally and emotionally for the young -impressionable- Valkyri boy.

What I'm thinking is that Máni will begin his story as a soldier for the Sanctum, brought on by his desire to follow the path of his prince, Thurion. In following this, he would undergo challenges to his mental well being as well as that of his very beliefs as a whole. It would definitely be a roller coaster of ups and downs, and I think that it would provide a steady muse with which to build him into the character that I believe he can become.

I guess what I'm asking is this: Is it possible to start as a soldier for the Sanctum and still be under the tutelage of a Jedi? Or do I need to divvy it up into separate chapters of his life?

Anna Song

A
Awesome. Some questions to ponder,

• If technophobic? Why soldier. Soldier's use guns, fly on spaceships, and engage other soldiers into laser gun fights.
  • If religious? Might he not notice the disparity between his own beliefs and the lifestyles, and practices of every other faction member ever?

From my perspective. Any adventure away from Midvinter would place Mani in a tech-heavy world where nobody else practices, lives, or even thinks the way he does. So... The character development you seek, (in my opinion,) is right outside his planet's front door.

Ahem.

One trip to Sio's dungeon aught to do the trick too. :D :p

[member="Máni"]

I love the notion of a character with a non-Jedi perspective in the midst of the Jedi. And I like the flavor that religion can bring to a character. I like how you're approaching the character, but [member="Anna Song"] does bring up some good points and you'll definitely need to roll with being the odd man out in any setting outside of Midvinter. But, that's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I think it can become a powerful tool for character development.

[member="Máni"]

The short answer is yes. And you can be any kind of warrior you want or see Máni as.

You should meet one Aerin Firebrand. Master in the force and Shieldmaiden of Midvinter, Hand to the King and owner of the Stag's Head in Tháinbroek. :p

She started off leaving Midvinter to find out about the force and trained under both Sith and Jedi in order to find out what that was all about. Not to mention tech.

She has strong connections to SSC although not a part of it. (She considers both Sith and Jedi alike to be silly) :p

Awesome questions and definitely something to ponder, let me see if I can't clarify some things without contradicting myself too awfully bad.

Question 1:
Mani isn't technophobic in the sense that he is utterly opposed to using technology. I'm of the belief that he can be 'persuaded', for the lack of being unable to think of the proper term, to at least attempt to understand it and even utilize it to his benefit. He has been in a ship before, though it certainly wasn't the easiest of transitions for him being that that ship was attacked by Sith invaders, and he has certainly been around guns. So, that wouldn't be so much a hindrance to him.

Additionally, perhaps Soldier was the incorrect term, I was thinking of a Warrior in the more traditional sense; Swords, Bows, Axes. I realize that this provides the initial challenge of going up against blaster bolts and far more powerful energy weapons. But, I believe that even in a futuristic setting such as this, swords are still of beneficial use even more so than energy weapons.

If that makes sense at all?
I'm not sure. I always get afraid that I'm losing my train of thought when typing large amounts of text.

Two:
The disparity between the his own beliefs and that of those around him would certainly be noticed, it would hard not to be noticed. But, I imagine that it would have the same effect as two members of differing religions in the real world meeting; it would either end in a respect for one's differing beliefs or open opposition and dismissal of the opposing beliefs.

In terms of the Jedi, he's not openly accepting the belief that the Force is in all things around him, but he wouldn't oppose their own beliefs either. That is why I want him to start as a warrior for the sanctum instead of simply jumping into the Jedi Order when his beliefs are in direct contradiction to what they believe. He has a respect for the Order for their part in saving his village when the Vinterbound attacked, but he isn't completely trusting of them as a whole.

This was the primary factor in wishing to start as a warrior for the Sanctum, he'd be able to gather his own views on the Jedi through working with them on the battlefield, but he wouldn't be a direct part of them. I was thinking a lot like how [member=Boo Chiyo] mentioned it, "a character with a non-Jedi perspective in the midst of Jedi." He is a light sider, and he wants to be a Jedi, but he doesn't fully trust them yet.

*sigh*

I feel like I've lost my train of though already. Let me know if none of this makes sense and I'll try my best to explain it better.
[member="Anna Song"]

Anna Song

A
[member="Máni"]

You're golden. That was awesome.

Here's my 2 cents on that:
  • Warrior: - I have no idea what a 'Warrior' is, as it relates to the SSC or it's diverse array of military units. However. I'm sure you can be free to assume that Midvinter contributes some of it's cultural 'Warriors' to the defense of the Faction. How, where, what, and why; that is accomplished? I couldn't tell you. *shrugs* ...In closing. Yes. You can be a 'Warrior'. But I have no idea what that means or how to pull it off. Coci or Thurion might be able to help you best there.
  • Religion: - The SSC doesn't really care what your religion is or how you practice it. As long as you identify yourself as 'Silver' and are not totally insane? You can join the club and play. So... Being different from the Jedi is something we all sort of do. In our own special way. I think it's perfect for Mani. And I think it's perfect for Anna too. Great thinking!
  • Swords vs Guns: - As a Force User, you can usually pull this off. Just make sure your weapon can do it. And remember that most NFU characters specialize in fighting against this type of mind-set too. They carry shotguns, railguns, sonic grenades, and poison darts too. So... While you are pondering how to go about the usual 'Swords vs Guns' routine right now? Always remember that during PvP it will be more like: "Swords vs Shotguns vs Poison Clouds vs Mind Tricks vs Grenade Launchers". ...Lulz.

Okay. That's enough advice and feedback for now. Time to get you threading! Good luck! :D

[member="Máni"] | [member="Anna Song"]

On the religion thing: this character follows the Primeval religion zealously, and is aligned with the Dark Side of the Force.

...and yet he has the Silver Jedi on speed dial for movie night, sleepovers, and that faction discount on Corellia Digital or Sasori products.

Does it make sense? No.

Has it been working? Spectacularly, and in no small part due to [member="Coci Heavenshield"] being awesome. But don't tell her I said that.

So I'm not sure that you have to identify as Silver or be sane. My point is, develop your concept of Máni and don't take the faction into consideration. I made this character for the Primeval faction, but he's always fit in here better than anywhere else, and I'd be hard pressed to try and describe why that is or how it happened. It just happened. And, in my experience, the best roleplays develop the same way. Just write your character and see where it goes.

Anna Song

A
Théodred Heavenshield said:
[member="Anna Song"]

Hello Miss Song... :flower:

Wanna develop me 'personally'?

;)
Hello there tall, dark, and handsome? When uhh... When did you grow up and start making my avatar thirsty? Wowz'a! :p

[member="Boo Chiyo"] - *looks at the Faction Forum in which this thread was posted* ... *squints harder at Boo's advice* ...

>.>

<.<

I'll allow it. :D :p

Boo Chiyo said:
[member="Máni"] | [member="Anna Song"]

On the religion thing: this character follows the Primeval religion zealously, and is aligned with the Dark Side of the Force.

...and yet he has the Silver Jedi on speed dial for movie night, sleepovers, and that faction discount on Corellia Digital or Sasori products.

Does it make sense? No.

Has it been working? Spectacularly, and in no small part due to [member="Coci Heavenshield"] being awesome. But don't tell her I said that.

So I'm not sure that you have to identify as Silver or be sane. My point is, develop your concept of Máni and don't take the faction into consideration. I made this character for the Primeval faction, but he's always fit in here better than anywhere else, and I'd be hard pressed to try and describe why that is or how it happened. It just happened. And, in my experience, the best roleplays develop the same way. Just write your character and see where it goes.

That actually makes a lot of sense, didn't know that you could do something like that and still be a part of the faction. Thank you!

[member="Máni"]

I think he could use a good chat with Thurion at some point. While (half-)Valkyri, he was born offworld and grew up amongst Jedi, learning about the Force long before finding out about his heritage and his people's religious beliefs. While unsure whether he truly believes in their gods, he certainly respects the Valkyri beliefs just as he would any other species and would never think to disrupt their culture.

Still, it's hard to dismiss the Force since, you know, it can do such awesome stuff. :p

I believe Thurion could help Máni adjust to the concept of the Force and still remain true to his gods, no problem. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom