Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A New Lease of Life [Coci]

So many familial greetings happening all at once, with the unexpected but greatly welcomed addition of their two eldest joining the family get-together. Only Mysa was missing, but he figured she was busy reconnecting with her homeworld. Not since their mighty patriarch's passing had they all been together in one place, only this time theirs was a celebration of life as opposed to mourning the loss of a loved one. Even so, the Sun God smiled upon them all this day, making the old man's presence known to his children and grandchildren.

While everyone was busy exchanging greetings, Thurion and Thyrian remained in the background as observers to it all. "So much pain," the elder eventually spoke for his brother's ears only, causing the younger to turn to look at him. "So much suffering," he spoke again in his trademark grim fashion, only to immediately after face his brother with a tender smile. "In the end it was all worth it, little brother."

Thurion felt like he was five years old again with his big brother by his side, always keeping him safe. His arms slowly wrapped themselves around Thyrian's, holding onto him like he used to do a lifetime ago while resting his head upon his shoulder, watching their family interact. "Thank you," he replied and closed his eyes, "for being my big brother." Thyrian looked down at him resting against his shoulder, then up towards the skies. He had kept his promise: Protect your brother, Thyrian. Keep him from harm until my return. Those had been his father's parting words, spoken so long ago. And so Thyrian in turn rested his head upon his brother's, watching the littlest ones greet one another for the first time.

A lone, silent tear born of joy came crawling down his cheek. At this very moment, everything was right with the world.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] | [member="Kära Hearthfire"]

The sight of Nina made her heart skip a beat, and uncertainty rang within her core.

Would the child care to see her? While she had abandoned her Vi'dreya roots, and Kära had never revealed their sibling ties, she could not help but feel as though she had failed her all the same. While she had saved Xavier from poverty so many years ago, Nina had eluded her. Probably for the best, since her brother fell into the darkness she tried to keep him from, where Nina flourished in the light thanks to Thurion.

So it was that when the girl stepped close and threw her arms around her, acknowledging her wholeheartedly as her auntie, Kära smiled and nestled her face into Nina's hair for a moment.

"My, you've grown" she said when she pulled back, offering Thrand to her should she wish to hold her cousin. It seemed as though Thirdas was just as interested in the little Sun Prince as her son was him. That was to say not very much, but she appreciated Théo's attempts all the same.

"In time, these two will be as inseparable as the rest of you."

[member="Thyrian Hearthfire"] [member='Coci Heavenshield']

In shadows she stood, observing.

The bow she had crafted was held in her left hand, and the pulsating crystals which capped each end aided in her remaining unseen. Mysa felt conflicted at the sight before her, she longed to rush headlong into the crowd and throw her arms around everyone. It had been too long, and so much had happened, since they'd all been together. In fact the last time had likely been when Thrand fell... Or perhaps the wedding. Had everyone been present for that?

The younglings hadn't.

But she could not bring herself to do so.

The taint of her actions with the Phantom Alchemist lingered in her soul, and she felt certain that Coci would be upset with her for all that had happened. That the others would look at her with distrust. Thurion, Thyrian, Kära, they had to pretend to be fine with it. But Coci was her Master, not just her Mother. She would know.

Sighing, she leaned back against the tree and lived vicariously through the others. Their laughter, their smiles, their kind words, the embraces. Her free hand held the cloaks she had been working on for Thrand and Thirdas, there were always furs aplenty what with how much hunting Gideon did, but still she stayed away.

You're a coward, Snowstrider.

But what could she do?

[member='Coci Heavenshield'] [member='Thurion Heavenshield']

She had stepped aside for Theo to bring the boys together, smiling at his handy work of carving the toys a skill taught to him by his father. Thurion and Thyrian had precious time to be allowed to simply be brothers and she would not disturb the moment between them. Too many years lost to them, but now they had years ahead and this warmed her heart. And yet, there is a void in the group that could only be filled by another. Mysa.

Coci's mind shifted to the girl, her daughter, her padawan. Thurion had spoke of her misadventure but had only told her some detail, she believed he had not in order to spare her worry. That never works, not with a mother. Images of Mysa as a small child entered her mind, the day Thurion had brought her to their front door on Tabaqui, so scared and confused she was but in no time Mysa was family. Heavenshield. So much had come to pass from that day to this, the children all grown up and finding their way in life, it was good to have children about them once more, it kept them all alive. The boys are a blessing.

A searching thought went out through the force looking for her, it did not take long to be answered as Coci sensed Mysa close by. Hiding in the shadows ...
Coci used to live there once, among the dark light.

Although a smile pulled at her mouth, her brow furrowed as if oft to do and even permanent creases rest on her skin as time crosses them all. There is fear in the girl as she hides from them, coupled with a sense of longing, but for what? she should know she has their love. For forgiveness maybe ...

Coci pulled away without a word to any of them, turned to walk the street before turning a corner behind a house newly built. There before her the pulled of energy from what she believed to be crystals. A grey void in the force, concealing someone, Coci is master at this skill and knows the tricks to unveil the truth of it. The crystal may hide Mysa but not themselves. She walked directly to her, stood only a foot away and looked deep into the grey shadow. The crease on her brow vanished, the smile on her lips widened and her arms opened for her daughter to run into them.
[member="Mysa Snowstrider"] | [member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SHYwT4YAT8​

For the time being Thurion clung to his older brother like he were back to being a child, knowing nothing of the world other than what Thyrian and others had told him. Part of him - buried under the wise Jedi and mentor, caring father and husband, mighty warrior and leader - still remained that innocent child. There are moments where the child never fails to shine through; the way he holds his knife and fork in the 'wrong' hands, the way he has trouble reading due to his lack of formal education. And, of course, his obsession with blue milk.

Deep down, Thurion was still that frightened young boy. No amount of time or experience would ever wash that away.

While the rest were busy fawning over the little ones, Thurion took his brother's hand and placed a kiss upon his ring. "I will follow you to the end, my brother. My king." To this show of affection Thyrian had no answer, nor did he know how to act next. His face trembled; eyes twitched and lips quivered, he was so touched, and in response he simply settled his hand to the back of Thurion's neck and pulled him in for an embrace. "You're a better man than I will ever be, little brother. I am so proud of you. Mother would be too..." While the elder had followed their father to sit on the throne, the younger had followed the path of the Jedi, same as their mother.

As their brotherly embrace came to a natural close, Thurion spotted Coci wandering off and away from the rest. Leaving Thyrian to join Kära and the children, he made his way over to where his wife stood. There he sidled up to her and put an arm around her waist, looking where she looked without seeing what she saw. Even so, he knew. "Come, child," he beckoned Mysa hiding in the shadows. "Your family misses you."

[member="Mysa Snowstrider"] | [member="Coci Heavenshield"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYzfTdIZoP0
Thirdas sat in Theo's strong arm engrossed in his new found toy much to the delight of his big brother who had spent many hours carving it out by hand like their father had taught him. No doubt father would teach Thirdas the same craft when he is older and when he comes of age Theo had every intention of instructing him in the hunt. The old way. Before he would move to find Nina, Theo placed his forehead to his brothers and spoke a silent vow to him once more, that he would always be there for him when needed. Unsure of why his big brother was so close and showing affection, Thirdas looked up into his eyes before his hand raised to pull on Theo's beard giggling all the while. "I love you my brother", he told him softly.

Theo caught sight of Nina watching them both, a silly grin on her face said it all and she knew that history would repeat itself and visit Theo tenfold. Thirdas, if a Heavenshield, would be a handful. "No one asked you", he shot at his sister in response to her widened smile. "Come for a walk?", he asked indicating their path toward the center of the township. Once the three of them was out of hear shot of Uncle Thyrian, "I would love to see Uncle's face when he finds the door to the mead stores broken in and needing a new lock". For in Theo's ship was load of the precious mead 'acquired' from Thainbroek and the Grand Hall.

As they walked, around them the people of Fridheim had returned to their work, or homes to continue their day. "There must be something we can do here to help out Nina?", he watched as men laboured with construction of a new home to house a family in need. Near the center of town woman worked in the smoke houses pulling in the load of fish caught that day and start their preparation to preserve for the coming winter, children ran about playing among the houses picking up long sticks to use as swords, a game which always ends in tears. He turned to Nina searching her face to see if she had an idea.
[member="Thirdas Heavenshield"] and Nina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjVQ36NhbMk​
Between the lines of fear and blame
You begin to wonder why you came
It broke her heart to see them all so happy, yet remain detached. Why did she do this to herself? Why did she always purposefully isolate herself from the others? Had she not outgrown the feeling that she was an outsider in their eyes? Had she not overcome her fears of being abandoned? Time and time again she shrunk back instead of embracing them, she had done so when Thrand passed and she regretted it to this day. It ate at her every waking hour.

But what can I do? I messed up... I always mess up. Perhaps it would be easier if I wasn't in the picture, they seem so happy...

With a very soft sigh she turned, and slung the furs over her shoulder. She stuffed her free hand into her pocket, and felt the smooth surface of Éar; when Théo had briefly returned he had passed back the sacred object, she had missed it dearly but was glad that he had been able to draw at least a little strength from their Grandpa's handiwork. Now she needed very much the same.

One step was taken, before a familiar voice broke through the air. Close by, too close...

Swiveling on her heel, she faced her Master, her Mother, and bit her lip. She knew... Of course she knew... And then, quick on her heel, Thurion appeared too. Her Guardian, her saviour. He had dragged her from the shadows of corruption left behind by the Alchemical Fiend. He had brought her back to Voss to heal. He had slowly reintroduced her to Midvinter. She did not deserve them. Either of them.

And yet she could not help herself. She could not deny them when they were so close, open armed. Footprints appeared in the snow, increasing in pace as she ran toward them and wrapped both hands around her parents as best she could. At some point she had dropped her brand new bow to the ground, revealing herself to them.

She had been foolish to try and stay away, but the guilt was too much.

It was always too much.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"] [member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

Only moments before Mysa was enfolded in her arms did she show herself. So much she had grown since the last they saw each other and so much the young girl had to endure on her own, it should never have been. What had they been doing so important to have let this child bear such a burden, what had all of them been doing? The answer was clear enough, both sides of the family had duty to attend but family is duty as well and they had all failed Mysa.

Coci leaned forward and placed a gently kiss on her hair, remaining there to simply hold her daughter in her arms safely. Thurion, behind them both added support to both of them and it was a rare thing that this side of the family could simply have a few precious moments together. Her hand raised to stroke the back of Mysa's hair, a futile wish to take and sooth her guilt, there guilt.

"I'm sorry", came the soft words only the three would hear. Sorry for what had happened and sorry they all could not protect her.

Pulling back from their embrace, Coci looked upon Mysa's face tilted her face upward with her finger. "Don't hide, never hide from us", not only her presence but all that is happening in her world, in her life. "I should have been there for you, but I am here now and I want to help .. if I can. You are our daughter and we love you".

She led both of them to a seat by the side of the house, they both needed to tell her everything about what had happened. No more secrets.
[member="Mysa Snowstrider"] | [member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

There was nothing the small child adored above exploring and experiencing new things, which proved no difficult feat for one so very young as he. Everywhere he turned there were new things staring him in the face, and he had yet to fully understand what most of them entailed or represented. Yet some things stood out from the rest, such as his family. Mother and father were never far away, and he could easily tell them apart from a crowd. His much older siblings were no different, for they shared a bond different from that between parent and child.

Settling against his older brother's chest as he and Nina wandered off, Thirdas reached for a curl of Théo's black hair to play with, grasping it in his tiny fist. "Toe," the babe attempted the name he'd overheard the others use when addressing his brother. What followed was a plethora of baby noises and cooing, none of it making any sense to an adult mind. "Yup," Nina grinned wide, trying to hide a giggle. "That's about right!" She repaid her sisterly teasing by wrapping her arm around her brother's waist and resting her head upon his broad shoulder as they walked.

A moment of seriousness took hold of the two older siblings, watching as the locals busied themselves with the construction of houses and homes, along with the feeding and tending of any refugees appearing in the humble beginnings of the town. Midwives were hard at work sewing fresh sets of clothes and blankets, while fishermen brought delights from the sea. Not one stood idly by - Valkyri have never been known to flinch from their duty. "We should do what we can for those in need," came her earnest reply to Théo's question.

Striding ahead of her two brothers, Nina quite literally began rolling up her sleeves in order to assist in the building of an enclosure a lone farmer had begun work on in order to house his cattle. She was not strong enough to provide efficient aid in erecting buildings, but building fences was well within her ability. The farmer gratefully accepted the extra pair of hands. At the same time Thirdas would begin squirming in his brother's arms, yearning to be let down so he may crawl around in the dry hay scattered about the place where pigs, goats and even a few milk cows rested together from their long journey to Fridheim. Ever the explorer, he decided to climb atop one of the resting cows, settling upon its large tummy in its warm fur.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] | [member="Mysa Snowstrider"]

It was so tempting, as he placed Thirdas on the ground, to scoop up a cow pat and fling it at his sister after her teasing of him. Quietly though, Theo was highly amused at them both, a grin on this face proof enough. But instead he watched Thirdas like a hawk as he crawled toward a cow only to climb up on it's belly, the cow did not seem to mind even though it turned its head with intrigue while chewing the cud.

Already Thirdas was covered in muck and sat there happily playing in it, "Ah that is so sweet", Theo cooed with mocking intent, "Just like your big sister, all covered in .. muck". The temptation had been too great as a hand full of pat freshly born, so much so that the steam still arose from it, hit his sister right on the backend as she bent to lift a paling. Not that he intended that to be the target, oh no, it just got in the way.

"A true Heavenshield", Theo nodded with a sense of pride for Thirdas getting into mischief. Yet a set of black as night eyes entered his mind, and they were not those of his little brother, but an image of his mother looking hard at him suddenly cooled his blood, he even looked over his shoulder just in case she was behind him. "Here, let me give you a hand with that", he suddenly voiced walking straight passed Nina with a wide grin, to the farmer who struggled to lift one of the thicker palings into place in the nook of the fencing.

As the paling fell into the nook of the fencing, he turned to Nina, "You right there sissy?". It seemed it was going to be one of those days.

[member="Thirdas Heavenshield"] | [member="Mysa Snowstrider"]

As her time lost within her mother's embrace drew to a close, the young girl could not help but feel confusion. The first words out of Coci's mouth had been apologetic, but was it not Mysa who ought to be apologizing? She was the one who had ripped things apart, she was the one who had been absent without word, who had purposefully not joined in the family's celebration of being back together again, who disappointed them time and time again.

Lifting her gaze with Coci's gentle gestures, she listened intently to what the woman had to say. Part of her wished to deny what was being said, to allow the blame to settle exclusively upon her own shoulders, but she knew that was folly. A family was a unit, they worked together.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered, unable to stop the tears which began to fall, "I don't know what to do, Mother, I don't know how to fix this..."

It felt as though everything had been falling apart for quite some time now. Since Thrand? Possibly even before then. She couldn't keep the pieces together, and yet right now, in the presence of those she cared so much about, it was manageable. She could almost feel whole again.

As she was led toward a seat she willingly took to it and settled the furs into her lap. She could tell that Coci wanted answers, but she was not certain she could give them right this moment. Instead she ran her fingers through the cloak and chewed her lip.

"Congratulations" she whispered, before finally looking between them both, "I'm so happy for you, and... I hope I can meet him soon." She offered one of the two tiny cloaks to Coci, before sheepishly looking away again, "I... I know he'll already have furs but.... T-Thrand gave me some to make me feel welcome..."

She knew that she was stalling, but she could not help it.

[member='Thurion Heavenshield'] [member='Coci Heavenshield']

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom