Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A New Hope (For Invasions)

Just had an idea. Figure it probably won't go anywhere, but hey, you never know.

Anyway, the idea is to offer an alternate to the traditional faction on faction slugfest. That alternative is simple: each faction nominates a champion, or champions. For the sake of argument, let's say 1-3. They duel it out in single or group combat for a set period of time, maybe a week or so. At the end of the predetermined period, the winning side takes the territory. If no clear winner can be agreed upon, an RPJ is called in to judge the results, much like they would in a traditional invasion.

Simple, right?

A few conditions would be necessary.
  • Both sides must agree beforehand to use this method. If an agreement can't be reached, then the invasion may proceed normally, or not at all, depending on the preference of the attacker.
  • At any point before the start of the thread, either side can back out. In the event this happens, the invasion may proceed normally, or not at all, depending on the preference of the attacker.
  • Once the duel has begun, the only ways out are forfeit or mutual agreement. If both sides agree to back out, no territory is lost or gained, and the invasion may proceed normally, or not at all, depending on the preference of the attacker.
Now, some of you are undoubtedly looking over this and thinking "golly, why on Earth would anyone want to do such a thing?" I can think of a few benefits off the top of my head.
  • Allows for invasions in periods typically considered to be low points in site activity. It's a lot easier to coordinate activity for a small group during, say, exam season, than it is for a whole faction. This could keep the story going without placing an undo burden on folks who can't set aside two or three weeks for a normal invasion.
  • Puts smaller factions on a level playing field with large ones. It can be hard for a relatively small major faction to go toe to toe with one of the behemoths. By reducing the number of combatants, you reduce stress for both sides. The larger faction doesn't have to worry about being accused of stampeding, and the smaller faction doesn't have to worry about being stretched paper thin.
  • Injects some much needed variety into the invasion format. Let's face it: anything can get dull if you do it enough, even invasions. Despite the flexibility the current format offers, invasion fatigue is still a very real thing. By changing things up, you can stave off the inevitable decline into ennui that must eventually claim us all.
  • Opens up new possibility for stories. The collaborative nature of factions means that it can be hard for Jedi and Sith to fulfill their traditional roles within the Star Wars mythos. Few and far between are the occasions where the fate of a planet hinges on the outcome of a duel, which is a shame, because that's a major theme in the movies, and one of the biggest draws to RP.
  • Brings prestige back to duelists, and encourages folks to learn how. Not gonna lie, this one is kinda selfish. I love dueling, but there's just no place for it here, and there's little incentive to learn how to do it right. As of right now, the most memorable invasions were ones that were exceptionally salty, or the inverse. I'd like to see a Chaos where people tell stories of kickass duels deciding the fate of the universe.
  • Completely voluntary. If a particular faction isn't set up for this sort of thing, no biggie. They can't be forced into this sort of engagement, and they can't be penalized for declining. If they don't want to play ball, things go on just like they always have. This is just another tool, to be utilized or ignored at the discretion of the belligerents.
  • Opens the doors to other styles of invasions. Don't like dueling? How about a 3 on 3 fleet battle? Or a 1 on 1 ground battle? Or even something we haven't yet considered? The possibilities are endless, if only we're willing to crack the door open just a tick and see what lies beyond.

There's nothing that stops people trying, but there's nothing in place to prevent perfidy or other shenanigans, either. Plus, 8 v 8 or 5 v 5 is still a lot to manage during exam season.

[member="Eralam"], One question... Why have we not done this before? lol

I would love to see this implemented and really enjoy the idea of doing this. The only problem I see with this, is the current rule set for invasions being that a specific number of people from each faction show up. So would this type of invasion require only those who are fighting to participate, a change in numbers that allow a lower number of people that are required to show up for this type of invasion alone, or will they not be changed at all?

[member="Ignis Imura"]

I'd imagine both sides would need the requisite minimum amount of members to join the thread on each side - but it's easy for them to show up as observers. Like the army behind Achilles while he fights Hector type deal.

There's nothing to suggest two majors couldn't do this now within the current ruleset either.

That's the biggest "hurdle" with suggestions like these - it's epic and actually has me thinking about Brad "Achilles" Pitt, but it can also be done if two majors are down to clown.

Maybe this could become a mandate or something?

That is actually a really cool idea. Like Eralam said, it would have the benefit of making Star Wars feel more like Star Wars. If the entire faction wants to jump in and fight that can be done, but alternatively, it can be fun to just cheer for a friend as you watch them write an epic storyline.

Nothing prevents it, save for the fact that you’d have to be have out of your mind to trust anyone else to stick to their word. I mean, Dark side factions have betrayal cooked into the dough, the Mandos turned on an ally not long ago, and the Light and neutral factions are, well, you’ve met them. Without some mechanism in place to prevent shenanigans, it’s a neat thought experiment, but nothing more.

[member="Darth Metus"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom