Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A moral question about teleportation.

So I was talking about this again and I brought up borderlands and the respawn method and how it is not actually you but a clone. And how close that is to the method of teleportation that I described.

Janus Viminal said:
[member="Jaron Lesan"] I remember a physicist saying that the metaphysical question was totally beyond them and they had no idea whether what makes a person a person would travel along. They hastily added that they had never been a philosopher, but that they also had no wish to go for a ride in one anyway haha
Right it's because they don't want to answer the question, or deal the potential implications of an answer that would suggest something... The idea of teleportation does beg the question though...

And I'm just being a stick in the mud anyhoo. It's fun :p

Janus Viminal said:
I see this question come up every once in a while, and I've often wondered if it's at least not due in part to the 1970 James Blish novel entitled Spock Must Die!, in which one of the major plots of the story is whether or not a person looses their soul going through a transporter beam.

That being said [member="Break"] I've never heard that anything larger than a single light photon could be teleported thus far. Did you have a link to news coverage about that apple?

Regardless, I was under the impression that living organisms simply cannot be transported through any form of quantum teleportation. This is due to a result of the uncertainty principle, which was originally laid out by Werner Karl Heisenberg. Every time you attempt to increase the precision with which you try and find a particle the harder it becomes to actually know the momentum of said particle with any sort of precision. The inverse is also true.
Seconded, I would like a source to this too. I have only seen evidence of the teleportation of photons, so it sparks my curiosity.

Hey [member="Chaos Maxtor"] I think that [member="Break"] was saying that he was mistaken before anyway, but that would have been rather interesting news to say the least had it actually been true! Technically when they transport photons they're not really transporting the photons so much as they're transporting quantum information on how to reconstruct the photon particles, deconstructing the existing ones into bulk matter and then reassembling them at the other end out of additional bulk matter.

Is that the right concept?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom