Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Matter of Perspective

okVCZyS.png

Euphoria, Zeltros
Passion, intoxication, and no small amount of nervousness blending together into a delicious cocktail of chaos; it was not something he had been able to appreciate as a mere human, but now? Now he relished in it as he would the finest of buffets. A cornucopia of impressions, a rainbow of individuality, all of it ripe for the taking - or rather, appreciation. No one was being harmed, after all, just... addled.

Sighing happily, the Sith Lord drifted out of the crowd, sliding up to the bar and ordering a glass of high-end Corellian whiskey.

One pleasure exchanged for another, truly, this just what he needed after the neverending clusterfeth that was the NIO push towards Bastion.

Spinning on his heels, Adrian leaned against the bar, cold blue eyes sliding across the crowd, searching for someone worthy of his interest. Someone attractive, perhaps, or someone strange. Someone with power or someone in need of it. Perhaps even a Jedi...

... it had always amused him to be here, in the open, yet sheltered by their own laws.

AMCO AMCO

Amani finally made her way to the entrance of Euphoria, tired from a day of travel and all too eager to find a place she could stay. She approached the bouncer cautiously, still not having learned from the last time what exactly it is you’re supposed to say to them. But apparently, she had discovered, idle pleasantries about the quality of their day was not a topic they seemed very interested in. The Mirialan waved her identicard and a credit chip in his face, “Hi! I need a place to stay for the night, and there was a nice old man down the street who told me that this would be a great place for a young pretty lady like myself!” She grinned, repeating his words verbatim.

The bouncer raised a brow, chuckling as he snatched the credits. “Alright, miss, have fun in there.”

“Fun? I mean, I just need to get some sleep.”

“Sure.”

“You’re not gonna check me?”

“Heh, Pretty sure we don’t gotta worry about you.” He ushered Amani inside before she could hold the line any longer, pushing her past the entrance and into the dizzying display of bright lights and moving bodies. This wasn’t some old hotel. Although, as far as she knew, maybe all hotels on Zeltros were like this anyways. But no, it became obvious rather quickly that this place indeed offered more than just a bed to rest, and indeed that the old man had rather made a facetious remark at her expense.

There were certainly lots of pretty ladies in here. And somehow she was the one inappropriately dressed for the occasion, in Jedi robes that made her stick out like a sore thumb amongst the crowd. Amani’s face flushed a darker shade of green, and she pulled her collar up over the lower half of her face in fluster. Well, she had already paid, might as well stick around for a while. Trudging over to the bar, she plopped her head onto the counter top in defeat, unaware of the man she now sat next to. The bartender walked over and eyed her confusedly, “I wouldn’t rest your face there, miss.” Amani pulled herself out from under her robes and leaned up on her elbow, peeking at him with the most disappointed puppy eyes he may have ever seen. “Uh, hey, don’t get all sad on me. I'll get you something to drink. Pick your poison.”

“......Water?”

Oh, oh well wasn't that curious - just like that, his attention shifted from the crowds surrounding him to the young Jedi quite unintentionally making her way towards him, everything about her clashing with the hedonistic revellers that surrounded them.

What she was doing in such a place was... hard to say. She certainly seemed dejected enough, for whatever reason.

More dejected than Jedi normally were, anyway - their ideology has always seemed a bit unappetising to him.

"My oh my, Ms. Jedi, you certainly look a bit out of place." Leaning against the bar, he sipped his whiskey even as she received her water - on the house, of course, because only the stingiest of the stingy charged for water. Unless they happened to be on Tatooine, of course.

"I'm Adrian - this place not enough to cheer you up?"

AMCO AMCO

Amani blinked several times, the club already giving her a headache while she tried to process the question that was just asked. “Oh, yeah. I get that a lot, actually.” She peered down at her very Jedi-centric attire, then sat up a little straighter, “Amani. Let’s just say this isn’t exactly the place I had in mind when I said I needed to relax.”

The girl’s eyes wandered across several other patrons as she sipped her water idly, before returning her attention to him. “Soooo, Adrian, you... like coming to clubs like this?” Amani couldn’t quite get a read on the man. Not that she had proven herself to be the most perceptive in this situation, anyways. Might as well enjoy the company, though. Surely he couldn't be all that much more than he seemed, right? Just another person trying to enjoy the night.

Smirking slightly, Adrian arched an eyebrow in the direction of an exotic-looking humanoid with very little in the way of clothing left to accentuate the point. "Oh yes, I can see that. Not exactly the place one goes to relax - though there is an attached resort, you know."

Chuckling softly at her question, he nodded easily. "You could say that, yes. The job can be quite stressful, at times, one needs to unwind somehow."

Eyes sparkling with amusement, he raised his glass to his lips, finishing it in one long sip. "I suppose you could say I work in management. Research sector, you would be surprised how often someone manages to blow something up." ... or open a rift to demon-infested realms beyond sanity.

Nodding towards her robes, he smiled crookedly. "How about you - wrangling Darksiders, perhaps, though you seem more the scholarly sort?"

AMCO AMCO

She raised her brows. So there was a resort, at least. Although given how everything seemed to be working out so far, for all she knew the word resort might mean something wholly more inappropriate on Zeltros. Perhaps some sort of slang dictionary was in order.

“Yeah?” Amani’s eyes lit up with curiosity, “What kind of research?” She found the topic of occasionally explosive science to be much more interesting at the moment than her surroundings.

His own question made the girl huff, “I mean... Sometimes I guess.” She shrugged as if you say ‘no big deal’, though in truth her interactions with Darksiders (that she was aware of at least) were few. “I’m more of a healer. Doctor, of sorts.” Calling herself a doctor seemed disingenuous, considering that required an actual medical degree, but common folk tended to take her more seriously when she used official sounding terms.

Smiling mischievously, the Sith Lord's answer was entirely true, if phrased somewhat deceptively. "I study the Force, actually - at least primarily. Think less robes and chanting, more lab coats and objective analysis. Not the easiest subject, but a rewarding one, as I'm sure you'll agree."

Hearing her response to his earlier question, Adrian could not help but chuckle softly. She certainly didn't seem the battle-hardened warrior, though the aesthetically-pleasing cybernetic arm she sported on her left side indicated that she had seen at least some action. He could empathise, having lost his right to a close-quarters combat-inclined Jedi back when he had still been entirely human.

"A healer? Noble calling, that, though I've never had the aptitude." At this point, she really must be wondering who he actually was. "At least directly. You might be surprised what some creative Bioengineering can accomplish, however."

That and Sith Sorcery, but even he didn't know how to allude to that without stating it outright - and this was much too amusing to end just yet. No, no he would let her figure it out herself - perhaps she would think him an infiltrator only to realize that his presence was perfectly legal...

... for what was a lightsaber against a dozen lawyers in bespoke suits and a few politicians on speed dial?

AMCO AMCO

"The Force, huh?" Amani blinked, "You don't seem like the Jedi type." She stated the obvious, trying to piece together who he was out loud.

The padawan drummed her fingers against the counter top while she listened. He was certainly good at grabbing her attention, as she was fully invested in their conversation by this point. "Bioengineering, wow," Amani leaned in closer, "Tell me more about that."

She decided to play along to see what else he might divulge. And, to sate her own curiosity. The subject was one she understood little. A interesting concept with even more interesting ramifications. Even she could tell he was being intentionally vague about who he was, though she avoided making any more assumptions just yet. Best case scenario, maybe it was nothing, but her travels seemed to be attracting all sorts of peculiar types wherever she went. Worst case scenario, well...

Smiling mischievously at her reaction, he shook his head. "Not exactly, no - truth be told, I've never been one for the grand struggle between the Light and the Dark, secular study is more up my alley."

Noting her interest - and the fact that she should really figure it out soon enough, clever as she seemed - he leaned a bit closer himself, eyes sparkling with amusement. "Oh yes, the ability to reshape life itself is like nothing else. There is so much imperfection out there, so many things that could be done just a bit better. Inherited diseases, the frailties of old age, the fact that thinking beings are sent as fodder to the charnel pits of war."

Something stirring within those deep blue eyes of his, he met hers with a smile, all but asking her to make the connection. "All those things and more I seek to accomplish, through conventional Bioengineering and more, ah, esoteric practices."

AMCO AMCO

As Amani began putting the pieces together, he all but outright told her, leading to a moment of silence where she considered how she was supposed to react. Had this been her first run in with a Sith, she probably would have done something quite stuipid, stupid enough that she would likely not be alive by the end of it. Instead, she sat rigid in place, breaking eye contact for a brief moment before resuming her gaze. "Right. That's one way to put it." She paused for a drink, "I don't suppose you're here in Jedi space for any other, more 'problematic' reasons?" She phrased it casually, not really expecting a sincere admission to any sort of nefarious deeds on his part. Her attempt to come off as calm was undercut by the hint of nervousness he would no doubt pick up on. She had not idea just who she was dealing with, not truly at least.

Even still, that hint of genuine curiosity still glittered in her eyes. "And this research of yours, is it typically... successful?" Amani's robotic arm twitched against the counter. "Surely you have something to show for all your efforts, Adrian. Or, maybe you have a different name you go by in your line of work?" She would never admit, and may not even realize herself, just how interested she might be. But ever since she lost her arm, Amani had been seeking, what one could call, alternative viewpoints, to traditional Jedi Code. A simple line of questioning couldn't hurt.

There it was, a spark of understanding, followed soon after by realization, then instinctual reaction, and finally a proper response. To her credit, it did not take overly long - fairly bright, this one. Chuckling warmly at her carefully-phrased question, the Sith Lord shook his head. "Goodness no, what would motivate me to run about causing trouble in such a decidedly unwelcoming region of space?"

A soft smirk. "Unwelcoming to those like me, anyway."

Noting the unspoken interest in her eyes, Adrian saw potential. Perhaps this one was not as set in her ways as some.

"Oh, I would say so..." Smiling mischievously at the latter part of her question, he carefully watched her reaction. "... and yes, Darth Prospero." After but a moment's pause, he continued. "You don't get to become a Dark Councillor by collecting bottlecaps, after all."

As if to illustrate the point, he extended his right hand towards her and casually shifted it until it resembled her own down to the bone structure.

AMCO AMCO

Darth Prospero. Dark Councilor. The words hit her all at once, and she came to the abrupt realization of just how much of a power imbalance there was between them. Amani counted herself lucky that they had met here, rather than in more hostile circumstances. She swallowed nervously, looking down to see his arm transmute into a mirror match of her own.

Instinctively withdrawing her hand, but refusing to look away, she watched the process in full before laying hand back down as if to compare the two. "Woah," She muttered, unable to hide her own fascination with the ability.

Her own mind had begun to wander over the possibilities. Medically speaking, the implications of such research could be monumental. Having witnessed countless afflictions over her young life, combined with her own personal experiences, the concept appealed to her greatly. Amani stopped even trying to hide her curiosity, "What else can you show me?" Truly, she had no idea what she was getting into.

Nervousness, perhaps a tinge of fear, but in the end curiosity won out. It was something Adrian could relate to all too well... not to mention that he was still rather fond of showing off, though not - or so he told himself - to the point of obnoxiousness.

"What else can you show me?"

"Oh, wondrous things. Mystical talismans, alchemical alterations, and even entirely new forms of life." A nod towards her cybernetic arm, another thing they had in common. "Limbs too - a rather rude Jedi chopped my right off when I was but an Acolyte, but cybernetics just didn't feel right."

Leaning a bit closer to the Mirialan, tattoos comparable to her own suddenly appeared on his refined features. "It isn't just the arm, to be clear, but I imagine turning into a carbon copy of you would raise some eyebrows, in a public place." Smiling mischievously, he eyed her Jedi robes. "And since I can't see through clothing, most would have to be an approximation. Any interesting birthmarks would be quite absent."

AMCO AMCO

Amani listened eagerly to what he had to say, each one striking her with curiosity, but none quite so much as when he casually mentioned the topic of regrown extremities. “You said limbs?” she blurted out, “The cybernetic is… it’s good, but-” it didn’t quite feel right to voice her distaste, the arm was created by a friend of hers, after all. But in spite of inherent organic weaknesses, she found flesh and bone to be much more desirable than robotics. “-Let’s just say I would have kept the arm if I could have.”

He demonstrated his abilities further, mirroring her tattoos. Amani nodded along to the explanation, perhaps taking everything a little too much in stride now. She followed his eyes to her robes, flushing at his mischievous smile, “Well, I do have this mark one on my back...” she added conversationally.

“How do you even do that? Are you a changeling?”

Nodding in understanding, nothing further needed to be said. After losing his own arm years ago, he had been outfitted with a truly high-end piece of cybernetics and yet he had felt unwhole nonetheless. Almost like there was a small clot in his connection to the Force.

Perhaps he had been imagining it, but it had been enough for him to seek alternate solutions anyway.

"Understandable. It feels different, doesn't it - in the Force and otherwise." Reaching out with the Force to feel where living tissue ended and cold steel began, he nodded again. "Cloning limbs is a relatively simple task, you know, with time and credits. I would be happy to cover the latter, if you like; it is but a droplet in the ocean compared to the extent of my estates... but I personally prefer taking it as an opportunity for improvement."

Smiling warmly, he tapped his currently-green right arm with his left hand. "Before recent alterations to my body, my right was a, ah, mobile Nexus of sorts. Comparable to effects of a Sith Sword, if you are familiar. Less useful for a Jedi, certainly, but there are few hard limits in Alchemy."

Smirking with amusement at her blush and reply, he chuckled softly.

"More than a Changeling, I would say. This new form of mine can assume any form within reason..." In the span of a few moments, the borrowed tattoos on his face were transformed into ashen face-tendrils wriggling forward only to retract back into his regal features and disappear entirely, his right hand returning to its original shape and colouration soon after. "... breathe poison, regrow limbs, and much more."

AMCO AMCO

"Understandable. It feels different, doesn't it - in the Force and otherwise."

Hearing it from someone else brought an unexpected rush of relief to the girl. It was a mutual understanding that she had yet to have with another. Amani had hardly even talked to anyone else about her new arm, but now she was suddenly being with the possibility that she may not even have to. She blinked confusedly, unsure if she had heard him correctly when he even offered to cover the expense, “You would… do that?”

Her attention was drawn to his arm, and Amani listened curiously. She understood the concept well enough, “And you can do that just using alchemy?”

Then, he demonstrated his capabilities further, making her flinch in surprise at the unexpected change in appearance. Even still, the padawan was taking to this enlightening conversation quite naturally, like she had even forgotten she was talking to an actual Sith Lord in the first place. “This is all certainly interesting…” Amani’s brows furrowed as she mulled over everything, the high from her growing curiosity now dying down in the silence that followed.

“But, surely you wouldn’t do this just out of the kindness of your own heart...” she treated him with a sudden air of distrust now, “...What do you gain from helping me? A Jedi?”

Chuckling in response to her visible confusion, Adrian shook his head in amusement. "Certainly. I am in charge of the entire Sith-Imperial medical sector and have various private interests in that business, you know, a single arm is but a drop in the ocean." Tone turning somewhat mischievous, he flashed her a quick smile. "Besides, I'm sure whatever stipend the Silver Jedi Order gives you is downright miserly."

Eyes sparkling at her follow-up question, Adrian spoke as only one who loves their work can. "Oh yes, easily! Let me guess, you were taught that Alchemy more or less amounts to creating monsters and weapons of war, no? That's the least of it, in my mind; its potential is nigh-on limitless."

All too quickly, however, suspicion won out over curiosity - as was only natural, given the, ah, reputation of his Order.

"Perhaps I am a paragon of virtue whose every waking moment is dedicated to helping others..." An impish smirk got the point across if the sarcasm did not. "... or perhaps I told the truth when I said that I consider the sectarian conflict between our respective Orders to be an inconvenience more than a cause worth fighting for. It seems sensible, then, to maintain fairly amicable relations so as to keep a target off my back."

Chuckling softly, he shook his head once more. "Not that I would have made such an offer if I did not find you likeable."

AMCO AMCO

Amani could only shrug in response. He had a point. Farm life on rural Tython wasn’t exactly lucrative, and Jedi aren’t generally known for their vast sums of wealth, either. Money had rarely been a subject of much consideration even, most of what she needed was provided by the Order. Except of course, in this case.

His next answer prompted a similar reaction. She shifted in her seat, “...More or less.” He wasn’t wrong about that, either.

Still she clung to her suspicions, though the padawan found it hard to take his words with a grain of salt. The offer hung in the air temptingly, difficult to refuse outright. Being called likable was a plus,too. A moment’s pause as Amani found herself genuinely considering such an offer. Only a few weeks ago, a situation such as this seemed unimaginable. Now, here she was, having a conversation with an actual Lord of the Sith, and in the process of making a deal with one, no less.

Finally, she faced him once again, “I… shouldn't be doing this. “But. If you really can give me my arm back...” She paused again and shook her head,

“...Then I’ll take your offer.”

Taught to fear the strange arts of the Sith, the domination of the Force, of nature, of reality itself by a capable practitioner... and yet such secrets were difficult not to long for and more difficult still not to at the very least wish to understand, at least to the curious...

... and the Mirialan seemed ever so curious.

"That is to be expected. The Sith are taught all kinds of nonsense about the Jedi too, of course." More often than not, the Overseers cared more about producing more warriors as fodder for this great conflict than beings with diverse skillsets capable of critical thought. A shame, that.

Smiling widely as her doubt gradually fell away and she moved to accept his offer, his tone was warm, friendly. "Excellent. I could provide you with a cloned limb, of course. After a bit of familiarisation, it should be as good as new - or rather the old. No more, no less..." Shifting gears, the friendly tone remained. "... but there is also another option. I could grow you something personalised, an improvement if you will."

With a conspirational wink and a chuckle, his assurances were swift. "Don't worry, it would be subtle and thoroughly scrubbed of dark influences. Even some of my Sithspawn are capable of channeling the Light or even becoming Jedi, you know, though I don't believe any have ever done so."

AMCO AMCO

Once she had voiced her acceptance, it felt as if any remaining tension Amani was feeling had been sucked out of the air. The deal was struck, and her anxiety was replaced by relief. Everything could return to normal. No more waking up one arm short. No more phantom pains. No more cold metal in place of living flesh.

However the Sith Lord seemed interested in offering more than that. She raised a brow in doubt, prepared to shoot down his opportunity to play mad scientist, though he was equally prepared to assure her of the benefits. An improvement. And free of the dark side, at least he claimed. Perhaps there was an opportunity here for something greater. Something that could help her, and in turn, let her help others. Amani pondered the potentiality. Such offers, she deduced, were not necessarily common in life, and if she was already going this far…

“Maybe… Something that could assist me in my field of work, I can’t deny the possibilities. Of course, my understanding of your practice is quite limited, but… I would trust in your expertise.” Trust. Never something the padawan thought she would be offering to a Sith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom