Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Frozen Treasure

FT.png

Jake slid the finishing trowel across the wet concrete. The distinct scraping sound the trowel made was deceiving. The metal tool was pulling a tiny amount of water up from the damp concrete, the scraping noise being the suction the trowel created. Swipe after swipe, Jake ensured the smoothest finish possible. It had to be perfect. It just had too. Pushing himself to a stand, Jake stretch to release the tension in his lower back from hours of kneeling and stared down at his endeavor. It had taken three days just to complete the flooring of the bottom level basement.

“Jake!” Cody shouted.

Jake looked up, “What?” The Knight scooted some of the tarp around to ensure he didn’t actually step on already dried concrete. The issue was that even though concrete was stable enough to walk on after about 24 hours, it would be susceptible to scuffs and scraping for about three additional days. Jake wouldn’t let a blemish appear on the floor.

“The contractors got a question about your blueprints.” Cody replied.

“Be right there.” Jake shouted back. Putting his trowel into a metal bucket that had held some of the concrete he used, the Knight flung it up and out of what appeared to be a rather large hold in the ground. Climbing a wooden ladder, Daniels was greeted by the sight of a dozen human men whom all worked on various projects.

Midvinter was cold. Far colder than Kashyyyk and Honoghr. That was why everyone was bundled in thick coats, cold-weather pants, and boots. Jake now understood why [member="Valae Kitra"] talked about it so much. It was beautiful. The construction workers even wore wool ski-masks that covered nearly aspect of their faces. It unnerved Jake; this many masked men. Even though none posed a threat; it was still slightly unnerving that caused the Knight to raise his guard ever slightly. A couple of men worked on smoothing out wooden logs. Some on turning wood logs into planks. Others had begun setting up piping for the plumbing while others still surveyed the land for residence expansion.

Jake walked up to an older gent who scratched at the side of his face in frustration, “What’s the problem, Greg?”

“I’m not sure that the home will support what you want to do with the basement.” Greg replied. “You see this?” Greg grabbed the blue prints and walked with Jake to the sizeable hole in the ground, “You have the bottom, middle, and top level basements all supported by brick walling. Each floor separated every seven feet by wooden plank flooring.”

“Correct.”

“The idea of syphoning off water from the local river is brilliant. It solves the biggest issue with the plumbing but the design here; of having the piping come down the direct center of the basements means that you will have a large hole in the center of all three of your floors.” Greg explained, “The issue is gravity is slightly stronger here than on Honoghr. I can see why these plans worked as you had them there. Here? Not so much. You’ll need to close off the piping completely or it’s just going to be too wet down there.”

“That’s what she said.” Cody blurted out.

Jake and Greg both looked dumbfounded at the man, whom quietly backed away, “Think I’ll go start setting the brick walls.”

Greg shook his head and then continued, “You need support beams not just horizontally under each floor but at least four in these particular points.” Greg pointed at the specific spots, “That helps the floors from sloping due to gravitational lag.”

Jake saw the small mistake in his design. Greg was right. “Ok. Can we still use wood down there?”

“Absolutely. We’ll treat and then coat the wood to make it as water resistant as possible. So long as no damage occurs to them you shouldn’t have a mold problem if condensation does form on the exposed piping and alters humidity. It shouldn’t though.” Greg replied. “So just to confirm what each floor is for, you’re using the bottom two floors as climate control food storage. The top floor will be simple storage?”

“Yes.”

“So long as we ensure the pipes open up into the ground to reconnect to the river, the humidity and temperature should remain constant. We’ll add in a level of insulation that’s covered by wood around the piping on those two floors then. That should also help prevent freezing should the home suffer any sort of heating failure.” Greg replied. “Ok,” he scratched at the side of his face again. It was a unique little trait Jake noticed about a man whom didn’t seem to have rhyme nor reason to do such when he went into thought, “We’ll go ahead and start work on the second level basement.”

“We are still set for the deadline?” Jake asked.

“Yup. One month, if not sooner, with constant work. Well in advance of the planets colder months.”

“Good.” A loud thunderous crack echoed through the region that drew Jakes attention skyward. A ship broke through the clouds, aiming straight towards their location. “I’ll leave you to it.” Jake left Greg, whom waddled off to speak to his men while Daniels headed towards the spot the ship was now landing.

Rania, a timber green twi’lek, came bounding down the ships hatch and straight to Jake. Excitement filled her eyes as she leapt into Jake’s waiting arms.

“So I guess it was a success?” Jake said as the pair exchanged a tight hug.

“Uh? Yeah!” Rania exclaimed. Her eyes darted past Jake and towards the pit. She watched as Cody struggled to lower a crate of brings using a pulee system. “Hold on, I’ll help you.” Turning her attention back to Jake, “Umako’s got it. He said he needed to talk to you. Don’t know about what. I’m so excited! This is just like old times except this time when we build a house, you aren’t all mister yellow eyes with a bad attitude.”

“Ha… Ha…” Jake replied. The sound of a crash caused Jake to close his eyes, “Please tell me he didn’t just drop a crate of bricks onto freshly dried concrete.”

“Uh…” Rania went wide eyed, “You stay here and don’t turn around. I’ll go help Cody.” She darted off yet wasn’t quiet enough to stop Jake from hearing, “I told you to stop and that I’d help you…”

Jake slowly made his way to the ship just as Umako was coming down its ramp. A large bag was in one hand. Reaching in he grabbed a small box and handed it over to Jake. Both men then took a seat on a couple of folding chairs near a small burning fire.

“Everything was sold per your request.” The Togruta explained as he pulled out a datapad and began clicking around on the screens. “You now have no ties to Dantooine.”

“Everything?” Jake questioned.

“Everything lists here.” Umako handed Jake the datapad. “Your family’s old property on Dantooine. The old bank accounts are now closed. The trinkets in that cave you were discovered in have also been sold. The only thing to your name for the moment is this plot of land and that small box. As of today though; you only have a small amount left to your name. With your plans to stock the house with necessities, that will clean you out. That is unless you…”

“Absolutely not.” Jake replied as he gave the datapad back. “I already told you I won’t dip into my Masters funds. Not for this. This is something I needed to do on my own with my own assets.” Jake turned to the semi-frozen land, “I have to show her how much she means to me. The contractors are paid off?”

“Yes. I transferred the funds for the remainder of the balance this morning.” Umako replied.

“Then all is good.” Jake put his hands towards the fire to warm them up. “Besides what no one realizes is that I have been able to find some side work. Off the books. Off the table. I don’t mooch off of people. I won’t take funds from my Master. I won’t ask the Silvers for financial assistance. I never have. I never will. I earn my keep. That’s what a provider does.”

“What job did you get?” Umako asked.

“None of your concern.” Jake replied. He was proud of what he did; even if it wasn’t glamorous. It helped to steady his finances. All that anyone needs to know is it’s not illegal and it allows me a source of income.”

“I worry about you.” Umako said as he slid the datapad into the bag.

“Why’s that?” Jake asked.

“You’re starting to push yourself too much.” Umako replied.

Jake held the small box in both hands, icy blue eyes fixated on it. “It’s worth it.” He popped open the lid of the box to reveal a pair of rings. One engagement and its sister wedding band, “She’s worth it.”

A bright shine reflected the fire, giving off a radiance that caused the two men to seem dumbstruck by their beauty. Most men in the galaxy used extensive wealth they hadn’t earned. Either by taking it from their own empires, by borrowing, or outright stealing. Jake? He liked to do things a bit old fashioned. He paid for whatever he gave Valae with his own hard work. Reluctantly Jake closed the box and slid it into his jackets breast pocket.

“When will you ask her?” Umako inquired.

“Soon.” Jake looked back towards the plot of land that everyone toiled over, “When this is finished. The home will be my dower. My expression of commitment to her.” Jake bit his lower lip, “Hardest part about all of this? Keeping secrets from her.” Jake continued. “There have been,” Jake showed three fingers, “three people in my life that knew me better than I seemed to know myself. She’s one of them. These rings,” Jake turned to look at the pit, “and this home have to be perfect.”

The cup of steaming coffee gently pressed against the waiting lips of Jake. Standing off to the side, Jake watched as the construction crews continued to put the finishing touches on the top level basement. Two days earlier, while Jake had been off world, the first two floors had been finished. Right now, there were several plumbers beginning the early stages of the plumbing system. Working from the bottom on up, the piping of the first two floors had been completed. Now, as the floors were being placed down, the plumbers were installing the filtration system that would act as the heart of the homes water supply.

Cody and Umako were setting the brick walls of the third basement flooring. As Cody set down the bricks, Umako followed close behind and cleaned up any smudges concrete while also ensuring there was balance being maintained. Off to the side, Jake watched as saw’s were brought to life. Logs were being forced through a series of saws that turned them into thin planks. These were to be used by a waiting Rania, whom was inspecting each plank as it was stacked onto a pile. She had built his homes flooring on Honoghr. He trusted her to build this ones too.

Beside Rania was a heated container. Inside was a solution that both Rania and those working the lumber coated the wood with. It was a protectant that helped to ensure the wood would not rot. In a cold wet location, rot was a major concern. A concern Rania was quick to ensure she found a solution for. They’d all found their niche’ for the home. Why wasn’t Jake doing anything? Well… he was waiting. Turning his attention to freshly treated logs, workers were putting the finishing touches on the link system.

When Greg looked towards Jake and waved an arm over his head, it was time for Jake to get to work. Setting down the coffee, Jake reached for a silver chain around his neck. Pulling out a small pendant with several crystals attached. What was the significance of this particular object? It belonged to [member="Valae Kitra"] and Jake was borrowing it for today only. Daniels had done his homework. It was called The Silver Sigil; an object of Valae's own making. It was meant to give a healer a decent boost. Jake was no healer obviously but he needed it. Why? Because of Valae’s connection to it. That connection, that small amount of essence was what Jake was going to tap into. There was a very valuable lesson Jake learned recently. When he was around Valae, he was able to harness the force just a bit more than he normally could.

With his mind focused on the object, with his force essence merging with Valae’s, Jake closed his eyes and extended his hand towards the now prepared logs. With as much of the force as he could muster, Jake thought of how he wanted the logs laid out. Slowly and surely, log followed log, and very carefully were placed as they should have been around the area. While Jake was limited with the force, the Knight could move objected telekinetically. He just couldn't move objects as easily or as large as other force users. Valae's pendant was a shot in the arm for him in particular. Still, there was a great struggle that soon became apparent. This many large objects were a burden on him both mentally and physically. Jake felt it. Something seemed off.

Still Jake persisted. Log continued to follow log. Laid out with precision and as each was put into its proper place, the workers began to rush in and do the minor details of securing the wood. It was here that Rania caught a glimpse of Jake as she marveled at his ability. It started as a trickle from his nose. It then turned into a drip. That drip turned into a flow until it fell from his chin.

"Jake!" Rania screamed. She watched as Jakes arms trembled violently. Umako and Cody were already rushing from the exposed basement. Daniels stummbled about for a moment before the Knight fell backwards.

"Drink this." Rania ordered.

A cup of a thick bubbling green goo was pushed in front of Jakes face. The smell caused the hairs in Jake's nose to tingle in irritation.

"It smells like a dead animal." Jake protested.

"It's a stim drink. It's a cocktail of nutrients and medications. The construction crews medic couldn't figure out what caused you to pass out. He thinks viral infection." Rania explained. "He made this as a way of trying to hit as many possible ailments at once."

"I'm not sick." Jake said. "I over exerted myself with the force."

"Huh?" Rania asked.

Jake's eyes turned to the home. The crews had gotten back on working the outer walls. Jake took a grimaced swig of the goo and let out a loud gag, "Lord thats gross." Though he held the cup in one hand, the other still held firmly to Valae's trinket. "I'm not especially atuned to the force. You know that. For some reason Valae is able to give me a boost. Anything of hers that has a shred of her essence is enough to amplify my own abilities. Unfortunately I pushed myself a bit too much. I must have popped a blood vessel in my nose."

"More than one by the looks of it." Rania said as she held up a couple of blood covered rags.

Jake turned from the home, "Valae?"

"I stopped Skillet from messaging [member="Valae Kitra"]. As soon as you woke, I called him back. He wanted to message her."

"That would ruin this surprise."

"Jake?" Rania asked with absolute concern.

"I'm ok. If I wasn't I wouldn't hide it from her." Jake replied. Jake finished the gooey drink as fast as he could. After several deep gaps and once the feeling of sickness washed over, Jake came to a stand. "Let's try this again but this time... one log at a time."

Rania remained by Jakes side for the remainder of the day. She watched as the Knight used his connection to Valae's trinket to move one log before another carefully into place. Her green eyes scanned his frame. She scrutinized each line of his face. Every grimace, each cough, every time it looked like he was beginning to exert too much of himself; Rania took note. Skillet too was by her side. The droid had his small antennae extended; his stance obvious. The droid would shoot off an s.o.s. beacon straight to Kashyyyk, straight to Valae if anything happened to Jake.

Stones, wood, and eventually coated glass were all laid into position. Well into the night, Jake and the construction crews worked. Even as the temperature dropped like a rock in water, even as flurries of snow began to fill the air and the skies above began to grey over from a sheet of thick clouds, the men worked. With them Rania had remained as she was, by Jakes side. Her eyes went from Jake to the home every few moments. She was impressed.

"I thought Valae was a simple woman?" Rania asked.

"She is." Jake replied.

"Isn't this a bit... much then?" Rania said. "This is anything but simple."

Jake turned to Rania as the final beam of the final outer wall was finished. Just as the log snapped into place and the crews went to work on the roofing, Jake smirked, "I know. Just wait until you see what I have planned for the inside."

"My crew's have finished the attic." Gregory said. He entered the living room, pulling leather gloves off of his stubby hands and catching sight of the smugglers and Jake. "Our part is done. I'm just waiting on my electician to finish setting up the solar panels. They should be finished any moment now."

"Excellent." Jake replied as he continued to wash the room's windows. Like Honoghr, Jake ensured he had a source of renewable energy. Sure, they had the water filtration system that had doubled in electrical generation but Jake knew solar panels. Even if Midvinter spent 95% of its year covered in clouds, any little bit of sun would help and they could store that energy in the large generators stored in the basements below. If anything happened to the water, they had a back up in place.

"Is there anything else you need?" Gregory asked.

"For you to stop spreading dust all over my floors." Rania protested as she saw the trail of light dirt that the man brought into the room. She had been finishing the stone flooring. Placing panel after panel into place gently. To see any sort of dirt infuriated her. But something else caught her attention. A dark splotch on the floor. A quick wipe of her rag removed the crimson spot from the ground. Blood.

Turning around she noticed several move drops that went towards Jake. Looking at Jake, the man had a bloody rag sitting out of his back pocket. His nose was leaking yet again. Concern ravaged her face though she kept her mouth shut.

"Sorry." Greg said.

"Alright, take the cabinets and beds to the second floor. The oak queen goes to the Master suite, the timber's go to the two guest rooms." Cody instructed. Balancing in his hands were a series of drawers, behind him was Umako carrying the dresser they belonged too. "Don't scuff anything."

Jake, Rania, and Greg turned to see a parade of people enter the home and head up the main staircase. After everyone disappeared to the upper floor, Greg turned back to Jake.

"Thank you Greg. We're good for now." Jake replied as he approached the man and gave him a handshake.

"If anything is wrong with the home just give me a call. We'll come out and fix it." Greg explained.

"Understood." Jake replied. As Jake looked past Greg, who turned and left, the Knight motioned for people carrying sofa's and tables entering the home to come his direction. "Sit everything down and we'll sort it out." The crews did as instructed. As Rania set the final piece down, Jake began moving furniture about with the force.

Within minutes, the overall layout of the living room had been set. Rania began to tidy things up. A picture that wasn't set just right? Aligned. Sofa's and chairs that didn't face each other perfectly? Adjusted. By the time they were done, Rania leaned against Jake, arm on his shoulder and looked over their work.

"Impressive." She remarked. "Dining room time?"

"Yup." Jake replied.

As the Knight turned, the Twi'lek noted a patch of dried blood just outside of his nostril. She knew Jake was getting worse. The Twi'lek's mind was made up. Rania was going to go to Kashyyyk and alert [member="Valae Kitra"].

"Boys." Rania said catching the attention of her two husbands as they bounded down the stairs. "I'm taking the ship off world. I'll be back in a couple of days." Her voice was a whisper, but there was a sense of panicked urgency to its tone.

"What's wrong?" Cody asked.

"It's Jake. He's getting worse." Rania replied. "I had to mop up blood from the floor minutes ago. He's been fighting that bloody nose for some time now."

"He's going to be pissed." Umako said.

"He's not going to know." Rania warned.

Umako crossed his arms and gave a skeptical look.

"I leave now. Eight hours to Kashyyyk. Find Valae and get her back here. Seventeen, maybe eighteen hours tops." Rania explained. "I'm leaving Skillet here. If he goes with me then Jake gets suspicious. Just keep him busy."

"Alright." Cody replied. "Where is he?"

"Dining room."

"Go." Umako ordered. "If anything happens, we'll alert you."

Rania nodded and left. Umako and Cody headed into the dining room, where Jake was putting the finishing touches on the furniture arrangement while several decorators from Gregorys crew worked on the ambiance of the room by presetting the table. Cody nudged Umako and motioned towards the bloody rag in Jakes back pocket. They watched as Jake took the rag, dabbed at his nose, and put it quietly back.

Jake moved the second china cabinet into place, lifting it slightly with the force as to not damage the floor. Opening the glass doors, Jake began to wipe them down as the decorators set in various pieces of chinaware. As he continued to use a glass wipe, his right index finger caught his attention. For a moment he stopped. While his hand was stilled, the index finger twitched ever slightly.

The hairs on the back of Jake's neck stood.

"Jake?" Umako asked.

Jake's hand began its circular rotations again, "Yes?"

"Everything ok?" The Togruta inquired.

"Yeah. Just finishing up down here. Are the bedrooms finished?"

"Uh huh. Just need your clothes and all is set." Cody chimed in.

"Perf..." Jake began as he turned. His head grew light. Stumbling off balance, the man lashed out to grab the nearest chair to hold himself up. His knees wobbled and his eyes shook, going side to side, and causing a nausea to set in.

Umako and Cody were at Jake's side in a flash. Pulling out a chair, Umako helped Jake sit while Cody fetched water, "You're sick, Jake."

Jake's eyes, holding a shred of terror, looked up at the Togruta, "I know."

Cody remained in the dining room to finish up the last tidbits of decorating. While the decorators continued to spiffy up the room, the dark toned human worked with the dining table. Adjusting it to find the right alignment, the man noticed a splotch of crimson on the far end of the table. At the spot Jake had just sat the man wiped with his middle finger. Blood. The nose bleed wasn't stopping. Not this time. Yet he'd been instructed by his husband to remain here while he and Jake ventured into the kitchen to tidy that up some.

"Where's Rania?" Jake asked. He had grown suspicious when the Twi'lek hadn't shown herself in several moments. Ever since blacking out days earlier, the woman had been his shadow. Now she wasn't around?

"She went off world to fetch medicine." Umako blatantly lied. His face was as solid and unwavering as ever. Even if Jake wanted to know, there would be no way of knowing. What had Umako lied to Jake about and what hadn't he? The Togruta was the only one of the trio Jake couldn't read so easily.

Jake began pulling plates out of a cardboard box and setting them into a cupboard, "It's just a bug."

Umako went to putting away silverware, "What bug causes profuse bleeding? What bug causes dizziness? Blackouts?"

"Alkan Flu?" Jake replied. He grabbed his rag and dabbed at his nose. Blood continued to trickle out.

"That was irradicated decades ago." Umako remarked. His eyes scanned over each utencil before it found its place into the waiting drawers dividers, "Didn't you say you were going to tell Valae if you were actually sick?"

"Yes. I will." Jake sighed, "Let's just finish the houses set up first. Ok?"

"Alright." Umako replied. His attention turned to Skillet who had his little antennae raised. A wave and shake of Umako's head instructed the droid not to do anything. Not yet at least. Umako knew Jake was a man of his word. If he said he would tell Val, he knew he would.

Skillet quietly rolled out of the room.

"Can you fetch me a screw driver?" Jake asked. His icy blues spotted a bolt that hadn't been completely put into place.

Umako left just to quickly reappear. Handing Jake the screwdriver, he watched the Knight begin to work on the pesky screw.

"How'd you ask Rania and Cody to marry you?" Jake asked.

"Huh?" Umako replied. "Ask them? Oh no. I only asked Cody."

Jake perked a brow towards to Umako.

"Rania asked me on the condition that I ask Cody. Cody in turn asked Rania. It became this whole big shindig for Cody and Rania. I was more along for the ride that anything." Umako explained.

"Nothing romantic? You just asked?" Jake inquired as he climbed down from the counter.

"Cody was. I wasn't. I'm not exactly the floral, home cooked meal, with champagne kind of Togrutra." Umako said. "I just asked. He said yes."

"Just like that?"

"Just like that."

The journey should have taken only a few hours. It was supposed to be quick. She was supposed to have fetched Valae and returned to Kashyyyk same day. The key words were ‘supposed too’. A leak in her ships life support system had delayed things mid-flight. She was frustrated. She was panicked. She had taken it out on her freighter with a slew of profane words as she fought with wires and control panels, tubing and engine fluids. What was worse than that? Her communications were going kapoot. She could receive messages. She couldn’t send them. It was during her flight that she learned Jake had gotten worse.

Having arrived at the Silverkeep, Rania was informed that the Grandmaster wasn’t at the temple that day. She also learned something else. Jake was missing his classes. Now she knew why Jake worked such a tight schedule. A couple days on Midvinter. A few days on Kashyyyk. A day late and people were taking notice. He really was a man who worked a consistent schedule.

The timber green Twi'lek was led through the Kashyyyl canopy's. Acrosss some stable and some less than stable wooden bridges across trees, Rania got to see what was so beautiful about Kashyyyk herself. The Wookies had a wonderful society, even if they did not seem as technologically advanced as others. They were people of nature. They cared for the planet as the planet cared for them. Now Rania knew why the Silver Jedi moved here. Peace. That's what Rania felt. An unrelenting, overwhelming peace.

Would Jake ever find it though? The peace? What was he like when alone with Valae? Was he as hard nosed and stubborn as he was with the boys?

A grey haired Wookie led Rania too a cute little treetop home. Her timber green fingers rolled into her palm. Her hand was raised towards the door. She didn’t knock yet. She was nervous. Scared. She was so damn late. How was she going to tell Valae? How could she explain that Jake was gravely ill? How was she to explain him being on Midvinter? What would Jake want?

The Wookie let out a holor, a call for Valae inside the home.

Rania stared wide eyed at the Wookie, who grinned, and then turned towards the door that was opening. Fear was written across her face as she spoke, "Jake... sick... Midvinter." Rania's heart was bounding against her rib cage. She was rambling, stumbling over her own words as she tried to speak. Raising a hand, she took a step back. Several deep breaths later, the Twi'lek was able to formulate something coherent.

"I know this is a surprise but I need you to come with me. Jake's fallen ill on Midvinter. He's getting worse with each passing hour."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae sat on her knees next to the small woodstove in the living room of her treehouse. Adding another log onto the burning embers, she prodded it with a fire-poker to make sure it settled in a good position. Instead of rising back to her feet, she stayed there on the floor. Valae’s palms then came to rest atop her legs, and she stared into the dancing flames before her.

Jake was late…

He was never late, if he could help it. And that made Valae worry. Tapping her index finger gently, she thought back to the moment he’d left. Yes, he had mentioned that he would be back by now. She was sure that the first place he would come would be the treehouse, and so she had decided to stay in for the day – just to catch him as he arrived.

No matter how she tried to soothe her troubled mind, Valae couldn’t shake the feeling. Call it intuition, call it the force, or call it the bond that they shared – it told her that something was very wrong. It wasn’t unusual for Jake to be away for a few days at a time, but he always returned when he said he would… always. He was a man of his word through and through.

Lost in her thoughts, she jumped at the sound of a wookie’s call outside her door.

“Jake?” She called out as she rose to her feet.

Perhaps Jake had returned with one of his wookie friends, perhaps…

As she pulled the door open, she was very surprised to be met by the green Twi’lek. Blinking, she listened as Rania stammered quickly. The words cut through Valae to the core, and she gripped the doorway as Rania composed herself. Attempting a brave face, she listened as Rania explained. But now there were questions… How serious was it? What was Jake doing on Midvinter? Is that the location he had been leaving Kashyyyk for lately?

Grabbing her coat from the rack by the door, she stepped out onto the front porch. Unfortunately, she knew that it was not the time to go entertaining guests. Valae knew that Rania was close to Jake, and her presence here meant that things were bad…

“Please,” She said, pulling Rania into a sudden embrace. “Please take me to him. I need to be there.”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Rania typed away on the consols of her freighter. Lines of blue whizzed past the cockpit window as the ship tore through hyperspace. Fortunately the repairs she made mid flight to get Valae were holding. At this rate it would only be another hour before they hit Kashyyyk. The one thing she couldn’t fix was the comm-relay to Midvinter. They could still receive messages. They just couldn’t send them.

Rania glanced over at Valae. She took a moment to let her gaze linger. Why her? That was the main thought the Twi’lek held of the Jedi Master. For the year or so she had known Jake, the man had shown no interest in settling down. He’d been hell bent on resurrecting his deceased family. Nothing could sway him from his single focus. Though Jakes quest at resurrection failed, he had fallen into the focus of collecting his lost artifacts.

“Message coming from Midvinter.” Rania said as she pressed a blinking white button.

A small teal hologram of Cody appeared.

“I know I promised to fix the communicator. My bad.” Cody said. It was how he began every message to Rania. He royally fudged up. Though they could see him, he couldn’t see them. “Quick update on Jake. He’s resting. Umako is with him in the bedroom. Umm…” Cody looked down at a paper he held, “The construction crew brought in their medic. He took a look and said…” Cody pulled the paper closer to his face, “It’s not a viral infection. That much has been determined. The medic thinks its potentially bacterial. He…” his eyes continued to read though the sloppily written notes before crumpling it in his hand. “Bleeding continues to trickle from his nose. He bleeds from the right tear duct. He was given an antibiotic but the Medic isn’t sure that will be enough. We’ve broken the fever, though to me his body still feels hot. Skillet end transmission.”

With that Cody vanished.

Rania sat in silence. What was she going to tell Valae? Oh hey we suspected Jake to be sick but he kept saying he’s fine and we brushed it off? He had been their responsibility. From the moment his hands shook the first time Rania should have notified Valae. Guilt riddled her face as she look to Valae, “We’ve been working on Midvinter for awhile now. I noticed the bleeding a few days back when Jake was setting some logs into place. He said it was more of the force than he was used too and it took a toll on his body. Today I noticed the bleeding returned. He brushed it off but my gut was telling me something was wrong.”

Rania picked at her finger nails, “I had the boys and Skillet stay behind to keep Jake busy. I knew he wouldn’t want me to alarm you but,” why her? “I know you care deeply for him.” Rania let out a breath she hadn’t realized she held while stretching her suddenly tight body. “There’s always something with Jake. He’s like the galaxy’s personal punching bag.”

She might as well tell Valae now. “Jake knew your Master resided on Midvinter and how important he is to you. Family. He wanted to be close to those you call family. So he came up with an idea that was so secret even whatever Government on Midvinter was clueless too. He began to build a home… for you.” Ranis shook her head, “He’s gonna’ kill me for telling you this. We’ve all been working on the home for some time. That’s why he was always leaving Kashyyyk. He had to oversee the construction as he was meticulous in its design and construction. For him it wasn’t just some home. It was a home you both share, a place no one within the Order, no one from his past would know about.”

Rania let out a small chuckle, “Just do me a favor and act surprised when you see him?” Why her? Rania knew the answer. Because he loved her.

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Curled up in her seat, she brought her knees up to her chest. Her arms wrapped around them, holding her legs tight against her. Valae was thankful for Rania’s presence, even if her demeanor said little. Chestnut eyes focused out the viewport, almost willing the ship to travel faster to Midvinter. Still, there were many questions about this whole situation. But Valae’s mind was too troubled to focus on them.

But as the Twi’lek’s voice broke the silence, alerting Valae to an incoming message, she turned.

Watching as the hologram of Cody flickered to life; she sat up and leaned closer. Her heart pounded. A small breath escaped as she learned that Jake was resting. But it didn’t seem that he was out of the woods yet. Thinking back, Valae remembered her mental walk-about with Jake’s father. Indeed Andrei had mentioned that Jake was sick; the Noghri knew it, too. However, it seemed that Jake would be the last to truly accept this fact.

Looking to Rania, Valae finally focused on the Twi’lek – her expression was almost pained. Her dark eyes softened, and she reached out to pat the other woman on the shoulder. “You did the right thing,” She nodded, adding a tiny flicker of a smile. “Thanks for coming to get me, I owe you one.”

But as Rania continued, Valae’s eyes grew wide.

Jake had been traveling all the way to Midvinter to build her a home? Her mouth dropped open, wordless. A hand reached up to scratch her head, still trying to take in what she had just heard. It was just like Jake to go off and do something like this… she felt a surge of affection for the man. “He is quite into details,” Valae finally spoke, offering a small chuckle. Despite the worry, she couldn’t help the sudden giddiness that had found her.

“Don’t worry… I’ll still be plenty surprised.” Valae sighed and turned her gaze forward. “We’ll be there soon, won’t we?”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Cody stood at the front steps of the home. Steam rose from a coffee mug held in his hands. His eyes watched as their freighter continued its decent through the growing dark clouds of Midvinter. A storm was moving in. Just moments earlier the construction crews had finished packing up the last of their equipment. After another quick check of Jake by their Medic, they made their leave from the planet. His eyes never wavered from the ship, even as the cold stung his corneas. He was covered by his winter coat but he’d not worn the goggle. A little pain was nothing compared to what Jake was going through.

Snow began to gently fall from the sky just as the landing gears pressed against the recently constructed landing pad. As the engines cooled a loud crack of thunder echoed through the area. Thunder snow was about to move in. He and Cody had noted the growing dark clouds but assumed the storm would swing south like it normally did. This one didn’t. It was coming towards the home. He watched two silhouettes descended from the ship. Cody still didn’t move. He simply took a sip of his coffee.

“How is he?” Rania asked as she and Valae made it to the front deck.

“Stable.” Cody replied.

Rania took the coffee from his hand and gulped its remnants down. The trio entered the home. Silence. It was a far cry from the bustling it had endured for the past several days. Cody led the pair to the main stairway, the now fully furnished living room in full view of Valae.

"We'll wait for Jake to give you the full tour." Cody quipped as the ascended the sturdy wooden steps.

Down a hallway, a turn onto a second and right to a door. It was opened as the trio approached. Umako stepped out. In one hand was a book. In another was a bowl of water with a hand towel resting inside. The Togruta stepped out and to the side so Valae could enter.

"I can't break the fever. Ice cubes melted." Umako said. "He's resting on the bed. He hasn't bled for a couple of hours now. Its just chills and fevers." His eyes drifted to Jake. The sight of dried blood around his nostrils still evident.

"I'll leave you in peace. Cody come. Should you need anything please holler." Umako said before stepping away.

Rania led Valae into the room. Warmth. Umako had lit the fireplace. The window curtains were pulled back to let in some additional lighting. Thankfully the windows were double panned. They kept the warmth in and the cold out.

Rania took a seat at the end of the bed and turned her attention to Valae, "Least he is asleep. First time I've seen him rest in nearly two days. He's just so damn pale." She noticed the appearance of Jakes purplish veins pushing up against his skin. "Like I said. He had a black out recently. Said it was nothing. Had some bleeding, said it was due to exerting too much of the force. It just... didn't stop."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae watched anxiously through the viewport as the snowy surface of Midvinter came into view. Goodness, she hadn’t been here since she’d visited her Master so long ago. And she had never thought she’d be coming back like this. As soon as the ship had touched down, she was in motion. Dressed in her winter coat, she followed Rania out into the cold.

Her gloved hand clutched at the front of her coat, painfully aware of how fast her heart beat beneath it.

Chestnut eyes widened as the house came into view. Her feet slowed slightly as she marveled, and her hand fell gently back to her side. She blinked only as snow started to fall upon her face, still wonder-struck. Jake had done all of this for her? Snapping back, she listened as Rania and Cody exchanged words on the porch. Valae gave Cody a small nod before he brought them inside and up the stairs.

As they walked the hall, she gazed about at the fine workmanship. Her fingertips slid along the wall gently, and she paused at the sight of Umako. “Thank you for looking after him,” She finally spoke, “I’m grateful to all of you.”

She spoke earnestly; it was easy to see why Jake had been so worried about the trio on the uncharted planet. They were true friends. Valae followed Rania into the room, her eyes immediately on the sleeping form of Jake in bed. She was at his side in a shot, her hand immediately reached for his to cradle gently. His palm was cold against hers.

“He doesn’t know when to stop, does he?” Valae said gently, a hint of a smile on her face. But her expression soon became serious. “Jake needs rest, but he’ll be the last to ever admit…”

Closing her eyes for a moment, she began to sense Jake through the force – reaching out to calm him. Deep down, he would know she was there. But she hoped that he would remain at rest for a little while. This glimpse through the force would also tell her that he’d lost quite a lot of blood, and that there was still a puzzling mystery within him. Her eyelids slid open, her gaze shifting to find the Twi’lek.

“I’m worried about him,” Valae admitted, “I know he’s been ill for some time now. But I’m not sure what’s wrong…” There were tears forming in her eyes now. “I’m not sure what to do.”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Rania simply sat. She watched as a Lioness approached her mate. Gentle. Caring. Affectionate. She saw the worry in Valae’s expression. She noted it in the way her hand held his own. There were only so many ways that Rania would explain the enigma that was Jake Daniels. Valae knew them all and then some. Few people knew of Jake. Fewer still knew him. Only one truly understood him and here that person sat with watery eyes as she stared down on the slumbering man.

“No he doesn’t.” Rania replied to Valae’s statement. “When I first met him on Honoghr he pushed himself to the point of near death on a couple of occasions. At first I wondered why? I’d never met a man like that. A man so driven, so focused that his first instincts are to others before himself. Then over time I learned. Hell, we all learned. Family. That drove him. From the bits of his past he has told us he spent decades as an Apprentice. He spent decades protecting his own. It’s a cliché’ I know.”

The Twi’lek rose and approached Valae. Sitting just behind her, green fingers rested on the Jedi Masters shoulders. There wasn’t much she could do. Not now. “We both know he won’t ever ask for help. It’ll take time but there’s only one person that can slowly pull him out of his over protective shell.” Rania’s attention turned from Jake to Valae, “That’s you sweetheart. I’ve seen him change. Subtly but the change is there. It’s there cause’ of you.”

“What man would build this for his woman? Sure men buy houses and gifts. Who builds?” Rania asked. “Even this bed…” Rania’s hand began tapping the comforter when she noticed something odd. A mark on Jake. “Cody!”

Cody was up the stairs and at the door in a flash, “What’s wrong?”

“This scar. How long has it looked like this?” Rania asked as she moved the blanket to reveal Jakes arm.

“I dunno. Awhile I think? When we changed his clothes we noticed it.” Cody explained.

“I know this scar. He got it when he rescued us on that god forsaken planet. It looks like its swollen.” Rania turned Jakes arm. The flesh of the repaired skin bulged outwards.

“The construction medic noted it when he checked him over. He thought if it was bacterial it may have originated from whatever wound was there. He called it a delayed physical reaction. Something like the bacteria took a while to work its way through his system. The blood is infected.” Cody explained. “That’s all we know.”

Rania nodded and Cody left. Once he was out of earshot, the Twi’lek looked over the swollen scar. Her eyes wavered slightly as the memories of her time on that desolate planet returned. She particularly remembered the wound. Valae had healed the flesh. Had there been more of an injury that no one spotted? Had there actually been something on a microscopic scale that had gone unnoticed? Had Jake been suffering all this time?

“If it is his blood, are you able to heal that? I know wounds we see but what about inside? Organs, veins, arteries… blood?” Rania asked.

[member="Valae Kitra"]

As Rania came to sit close, Valae sheepishly tried to dry her eyes on the corner of her sleeve. She felt the warmth of the Twi’lek’s hand on her shoulder, and she listened to the encouraging words that Rania spoke. With her attention returning to Jake, she felt a swell of affection for him. It was just like Rania said, ‘What man would build this for a woman?’ She was still very much in awe, but the details of Jake’s hard work were a bit lost in worry at the moment.

Valae jumped slightly at the sound of Rania suddenly shouting for Cody.

Shoulders stiffening, she listened to the exchange between the two. Chestnut eyes widened at the mention of the scar on Jake’s arm. Of course, she remembered this wound very well. Leaning over, she took a long glance at the mark for herself. Valae still recalled how terribly difficult this wound had been to close; it had seemed to resist for so long. And now, the swollen scar looked much like it had before she’d successfully healed it… or thought she had healed it.

“I-I’m not sure,” Valae stammered, still trying to come to grips about this news. Moving closer, she let her fingertips slide across the scar, it was hot to the touch. “Oh, no…” The tears began to fall again, once she realized just what she had done. “I healed this after the fight… but whatever infected him, I basically sealed it inside him.”

She buried her face in her hands, shoulders rocked with sobs.

Peeking out, she looked at Jake. Here he was lying in bed, weak like she’d never seen him before. And it was all her fault. “If only I’d thought to check…” She bit at her fingernails anxiously. “I should have known something was wrong from the start.”

Valae drew in a deep and shuddering breath to try and compose herself.

Reaching out, she placed her hands above the old wound.

Closing her eyes, she reached out with the force. This time, as she focused… she attempted to hone in on the blood coursing through Jake’s veins. Just as suspected, there was the presence of something foreign and dangerous. The Noghri had noticed it… she remembered the bloody handkerchief.

“I can try to heal him,” She answered finally, “But I don’t know how long it will take to completely rid him of this…” Valae’s momentary sense of composure broke to pieces. “What if I can’t do it?”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

“The least you can do is try.” Rania replied without hesitation. “I hate speaking in clichés but it’s often true. You and Jake aren’t like most people. You aren’t like most couples. Many couples are water and water or oil and oil. They just mix so perfectly together that it could make a card-maker chuck up their lunch. You and Jake are the epitome of water and oil. You both are your own unique personalities. You don’t mix perfectly together.”

Rania rubbed Valae’s back. Her hand slid up and down her spine. The Jedi Masters muscles were tight. The Twi’lek was no empath. She had no connection to the force. She could feel it though. The bond shared by Valae and Jake.

“He is brash. He is stubborn. He’s a right pain in the arse at times. You know that better than anyone. He does struggle walking what you both call that fine line between light and dark. He’s also a better person because of you. He’s let go of the pain of his past. I, Cody, nor Umako were able to cause him to do that. Not even his Masters descendants could. You did though.” Rania replied. “You’re gentle and caring. You’re also vocal but in a diplomatic sense. You are that light for the galaxy that Jake often speaks of. You make everything around you better; even if you don’t see that yourself. Hell, you make Mr. Gruff over there soften up. He has, of course, caused you to stiffen slightly. There’s a bit more edge to you.”

Rania chuckled as she lay her chin on Valae’s shoulder. One arm wrapped around the Jedi Master as her eyes befell Jake, “You’re water. He’s oil. Yet you both are blending together perfectly. You both deserve your own version of happily ever after.” Rania lay her cheek on the same shoulder to get a look at the room. “It won’t always be easy; especially with him but anyone who would do all of this for the woman he loves has an unwavering devotion. That’s the same devotion we see from you. That’s why you’re going to be able to heal him or at the very least to begin the healing process. You might not be able to cure him immediately but you’ll make him better and with time he’ll recover. You two need each other.”

Rania thought for a moment of her own relationship with both of her husbands, “I always saw Jake as a stay at home kind of guy. Don’t get me wrong, what I mean by that is he is the sort of guy you know will always be there waiting for you. He doesn’t have many friends. Doesn’t drink. Doesn’t do spice or whatever it is people call drugs these days. He just wants to be loved so each time you come through the door of this home you will always be rest assured Jake will follow soon after if he’s not already here.”

Rania then remembered the ring. Where was it? She turned her head to see where Jakes coat was. She couldn’t see it. One of the boy’s obviously moved his clothing around. By chance did they, for once, put things back where they belonged? Coming to a stand, Rania put another log into the fireplace before venturing into the closet.

As to not raise suspicion she continued talking, “You know what I admire about you and Jake? You act like normal people.” Rania shuffled through Jakes clothes to make sure the ring and its box weren’t placed anywhere else. “I’ve seen Jedi couples on Kashyyyk. When Jake was part of the One Sith, albiet briefly, I saw Sith couples. Sith couples are into the freaky bdsm type of relationships. No offense, Jedi couples seem to be more of the frilly flowery bunch. Complete opposite of the Sith. I see you and Jake,” Rania moved the clothes about as to not clump them together.

Coming out of the closet she flicked the light off and leaned against the wall, “and somewhere in the middle. The only normal force using couple in the galaxy. Normal and loyal. Now try and save your normal, loyal man.”

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae hung her head; tears slowly dripped down her cheeks and dotted the bedspread. As Rania spoke, she gently took Jake’s hand in her own. The corner of Valae’s mouth tugged into a brief half-smile. The words spoken by the Twi’lek were very true. Valae and Jake were cut from two very different cloths, but they still seemed to complement each other. Where she was weak, Jake made her strong. And where Jake was rough, she tempered him. Valae’s eyes blinked softly when Rania mentioned that she had more edge to her now.

Brows lofting slightly, she supposed that it was true.

As Rania continued to offer her support, Valae listened quietly. Jake’s Twi’lek friend was a spirited woman, but she knew what to say to comfort the healer. The woman had a sage-like wisdom when it came to relationships. Perhaps it was due to her unconventional married life, Valae mused for a moment. Still, she absorbed every word.

Turning a glance over her shoulder, she watched as Rania stood and moved towards the closet. Not thinking anything of it, Valae returned her attention to Jake. Her thumb gently rubbed the back of his hand, and she gave his palm a squeeze.

“You’re right,” She breathed, “I’ll try.”

Before settling in to get started, she looked across at Rania once more. “Thank you – for everything.”

Whenever her sense of confidence began to collapse, a bit of encouragement went a long way. Turning her focus to Jake, she closed her eyes and began to open up to the Force. Valae’s presence would grow to fill the room, and then wash over Jake in a calming wave. For the moment, she let her presence begin to steady Jake’s – working swiftly to bring his fever down. Drawing in a deep breath, she felt his body temperature approaching normal.

But for the time, it was just a temporary fix. She would need to address the cause, and so she shifted her attention to the blood coursing through Jake’s veins. Immediately, she noticed that it was thinner than it should be. Digging deeper, she could sense the faint presence of something dark within Jake – something his body was actively attempting to fight. Valae’s eyes squeezed closed, it was elusive, like sand slipping between her fingers.

She would need more time. For now, she would try to wake Jake. Drawing upon the force, she gave him a small nudge. And then a revitalizing flow of energy would find him.

“Jake, can you hear me?” She spoke aloud, giving his hand another steady squeeze.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

“Where am I?”

“Shili.” A voice replied.

“Am I dead?” Jake asked, turning his attention to the source of the voice.

Just beside him stood two identical Togruta. Analyn and Kinsa Lestin had served as two of Jakes more secretive Apprentices. While [member="Romano Shamalain"] and Lysander had been his most notable, the two Togruta sisters had been his shadows. As he had been the will of his Master, they had been his. Both wore robes similar to the ones Jake had worn as an Apprentice. Instead of the tree of life Shamalain family symbol over the left breast, their robes help the symbol of Yin and Yang made from trees. It symbolized the balance of light and dark that Jake and they had walked together.

“No. You are not.” Analyn replied.

“Are you?” Jake asked.

“Not yet. We remain where you left us. Here.” Kinsa replied as his red fingers allowed the tall grass to tickle. “We remain in a slumber, unable to wake.”

“Our bodies remain contaminated but protected. Our people still watch over us per your instruction centuries ago.” Analyn added.

“The how am I here?”

“You are walking the bridge between life and death. The closest you have ever been. Your mind began to die as infection took over. Your presence on the force weigned and so we reached out. This was too be your last goodbye. Our way of bidding farewell to our Master.” Kinda explained.

“But there has been an intervention. Someone is working to heal what is broken. Your body is being cleansed.” Analyn said. “So now we serve as guards. Instead of helping you reach everlasting peace, we prevent it.”

“So this isn’t real?” Jake asked as he looked around. In the distance he spotted the Lestin Clans village. More notable he spotted the stone mosoleum just south that served as the resting place for both sisters.

“It is very much real. We are not figmants of your imagination. By opening up, you would become one with the force and we would get our goodbyes. We now prevent that.” Kinsa said.

Their world blurred for a second. A small tremor was then felt.

“She’s strong.” Analyn said.

“Very.” Kinsa replied.

Jakes eyes looked to the skies above. He could feel her. Valae was there. She’d come.

“That she is.” Jake said as his lips curled into a smile.

Jake’s body reacted as Valae pushed deeper. She worked through the very blood that coursed through his veins. His body could feel her presence and it responded. His body cooled at the touch of her hands. Jake’s temperature in those areas dropping like a stone in water. The scar from a wound that had long been thought healed slowly lost its inflammation. The redness dissipated. Still, as hard as Valae tried, the contamination of the man remained. She did however force it at bay. Jake’s neck twitched slightly as the Master Healer had managed to jump start his immune system just enough to continue on with their fight. His body knew, as did he, that this fight was not his alone. Slowly the temperature began to drop. His body cooled just enough to allow conscious thought to return; though a slight fever did remain.

“This is where we must bid farewell, Master.” Analyn said.

“For now. Somethings coming for you and her. Fare warning. It won’t be you that will need the saving this time.” Kinsa replied.

As Jake attempted to reply everything went dark. Just as quickly his eye lids began to blink open.

“Jake, can you hear me?” The sight of an Angel and the silk like tone of a goddess had greeted his consciousness. A weak, tired but very apparent smile crossed his face.

”What is this? Three? Four times you’ve worked to save me?” Jake asked. “This isn’t how I wanted you to find this place.” It was apparent Valae knew. She had to have been told. The question was just how much had Valae been told. Did she know the intention of this home? Did she know what Jake had planned? The ring!? Had she been given it or seen it?

“Surprise!” Jake joked.

[member="Valae Kitra"]​

Watching Jake closely for a sign of consciousness, she felt the flicker of a relieved smile grow on her face as his eyelids slowly blinked open. His complexion was still a shade or two paler than it should be, and there was the small inkling of fever still lingering behind, but he was awake. The tears were quick to return as Valae heard him speak, and she leaned over to embrace him. There had been a terrible fear in the back of her mind, that she would never hear his voice again, but that worry had been put to rest for the time.

Her palm gently cupped against his cheek, she placed a soft kiss upon his forehead.

“I’ve lost count,” She said through her tears, “Rania told me that you built this house for me. I’m…” Breathing in, she paused. “I’m still quite speechless.”

Glancing over at the Twi’lek, Valae flashed a tired, but very happy smile. But there was still a bit of work to be done before she could completely relax. Ever the caretaker, she whipped a muslin cloth from her medical kit and then disappeared from the room briefly as she sought to wet it with water from the bathroom sink. Busting back to Jake’s side, she placed the cloth over his forehead and then set her palm over top of it for a moment.

“Keep this here.” She said, fluffing his pillow and pulling the blankets up to Jake’s chin. “You’re not to move from that spot, got it?”

Next, Valae stood from the bed and moved over to the fire place. For a brief moment, she merely basked in the heat radiating from the hearth, glad for the warmth. Midvinter was ever so beautiful, but she felt the cold in her bones whenever she visited. After adding another log, she poked and prodded the fire until the flames roared again. Usually, she could heal with little effort on her part. However, Jake’s infection had proven stubborn and difficult to eradicate – it was a task that would take several tries, she worried.

Returning to the bed, she took a seat next to Jake and slipped her boots off. After putting her feet up, she tugged at the blankets to steal a corner for herself. Gazing in wonder at the meticulous amount of details that Jake had worked into this room alone, she reached over and gave his arm a squeeze.

“You didn’t have to do all of this for me, you know.” She said, smiling.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

The walls had only recently been set. The foundation newly laid. The windows had been placed. The concrete and stone chimneys rose to the heavens giving off its very first puffs of smoke. This home, strategically placed after many scrutiny filled hours, just began its life. An infant in comparison to the other residences of the galaxy. That’s what this place was. A beginning and she loved it.

“Of course I did.” The Knight rebutted.

“I’ll go get some more water.” The tone of Jake’s voice was a signal to Rania. It was soft and gentle. There was no hint of stiffness. Two had once more become one. As Rania made her quiet leave, she gave Jake a simple shake of her head. She saw the question in his eyes. He knew she revealed much to Valae. Did she reveal everything? No. Not everything. That was for Jake and Jake alone.

“This is the one place that is always yours. This place is hidden from all. Your home on Voss. Kashyyyk. Any place the Silvers have wandered, you’ve always been exposed. I’m giving you what I know. To be present without being seen. To have a place that is truly yours.” Jake explained.

“Mine had always been on Honoghr. Not anymore though.” His eyes glanced about the room.

Jake let out a groan as he propped himself up slightly. His face was moist, a cool sweat setting in. “I know your Master is here; somewhere.” Jake lied.

He knew where her Master was or more accurately, he had a general sense of the region her Master resided. Jake was a hunter after all. He did his research. She was close to the one whom had brought her truly within the force. As Jake had been with his own, he ensured the Master of the world was close with his pupil.

“You will always be safe here. If I could only ever give you a true gift, let it be this.” Jake explained. He had the urge to begin the tour of the home, but the way Valae had ordered him to stay where he was caused otherwise twitchy legs to remain still.

“Don’t fret.” Jake said. “I didn’t take any money from the Silvers to build this. I’ve actually been holding down another job to earn cash on the side.” In a galaxy where everyone whom used the force seemed to be drowning in wealth, Jakes Master included. He never acquired his own. He never used what was gifted to him. Nor did he touch what he inherited by default being the oldest living member of the Shamalain family. It remained where it was; acquiring interest and growing in bounty. Yet it was money he’d never touch. He earned his own; a few cents at a time. “It’s not the most lucrative job but it did enough to help build a business relationship with a construction contractor and what that didn’t cover it paid enough to make up for the rest. I wanted this to be a true gift. Me to you.”

Yes there was a sense of pride in his tone. Why shouldn’t there have been?

“Ok enough of the sappy stuff. You two will have more time for that when you’re better.” Cody said as he stopped at the doorway. Skillet rolled in just behind him.

“Valae? Rania wants you to come downstairs.” Cody explained. “Skillet will keep watch of Jake. Should anything change he’ll let us know. Guess we’re going to do the tour.”

“Like hell you are.” Jake protested as he attempted to rise.

A finger point warning from Valae caused Jake to remain as he was. A mocking whistle from Skillet added icing to the cake.

“Get rest Jake.” Cody said as he closed the door. Once they were beginning their decent down the stairwell he finally decided to speak, “Watch some of the steps. They used an interlocking system in this home. Very little actual nails were used. Just wood to wood. Like a giant puzzle piece. Remarkable design and the same sort Jake used on Honoghr but not one I’m entirely comfortable with.”

Rania met them at the bottom of the bend, “Cody go help Umako cook. I’ll show Valae around.”

“No fair.”

“Get!”

“Geez.” Cody snorted as he sculked away.

Rania turned to Valae and finally gave a deep hug. A few words were whispered into the Masters ear, “Thank you for coming. Since I know it’s going to drive him nuts by me doing this, where should we begin?”

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom